Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m glad I took the AP history classes in high school because you had to be dragged through the entire thing come hell or high water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All I remember from high school world history though is the teacher describing being woken up concussed by a VC mortar attack covered in the remains of his squadmate from bunk over.

That was a thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Throwing stuff is awesome. Knives, axes, your own poo poo, it's a blast, you're missing out.

The axe throwing bar/restaurant thing seems to have just randomly appeared in the last couple years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Even where open carry exists do you think that a group of black people with AR-15s are going to be allowed to walk right up to cops in the lobby of a state capitol (without being arrested / shot)?

I guess I'd have to believe that when I see it.

If literally surrounded by cameras, maybe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought republicans were against filibusters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Pompeo is one of those people where if he's specific, he doesn't know poo poo and he's lying. He's also one of those people where if he's dodgy, there's malfeasance and he knows about it.

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1258086464535048192

lol

As always, should you or any of your chud force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow anymost knowledge of your actions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And take it from me, boats have a LOT of things that can go wrong.

Well thats easy, just don't care about them. See: RQ/MQ-1.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

COVID Donnie doesn't have the same ring as Typhoid Mary.

Donaldroni?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

There was a lot of talk that in the case of the Georgia Ahmaud Arbery murder that the DA was going to go the slow route with a Grand Jury, which will take months in the lockdown.

Nope. They were both arrested. Murder and aggravated assault. Only needed a loving video to charge a goddamn lynching in the south.

https://gbi.georgia.gov/press-releases/2020-05-06/ahmaud-arbery-death-investigation

The state patrol got control of the case yesterday and less than 24 hours later they were in jail for murder. Sadly nothing is going to happen to the local yokels that tried to make it go away.

quote:

This case is being investigated in partnership with District Attorney Tom Durden.

On May 5th, 2020, District Attorney Tom Durden formally requested the GBI investigate the death of Ahmaud Arbery. The Kingsland Office initiated an investigation on May 6th, 2020.

On April 29th, 2020, the Glynn County Police Department (GCPD) requested that the GBI investigate allegations of threats against GCPD and individuals involved in the active investigation.

On the morning of May 5th, 2020, GCPD requested the GBI investigate the public release of video related to Arbery’s death.

Hopefully that last one doesn't go anywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I can assure you georgia will find bold new ways to disappoint

Still going to be a local jury probably and not guilty via the reasoning “they had it coming” still happens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol some fireworks went off and people with guns went all Frank Reynolds

Yosemite Sam

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The mob failed at lynching though so it can’t be a lynch mob. At best it’s an attempted lynch mob. Do they give out Nobel prizes in attempted chemistry?

It’s about ethics in mob journalism.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Air Force 2 just became SAM672 mid-flight. Kinda weird.

Currently 35k over western Massachusetts, heading NNE.

:rip: pence

or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdaeVone5qA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Need more surveillance to help border patrol insta-deport sick people apparently?

I thought this was the "catch and release" policy that they criticized Obama for.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PeterCat posted:

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/add...tbreak-1.624512

Also, there are apparently dead Nazis buried in US VA cemeteries. I say we dig them up and send them back to Germany.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/nazi-gravestones-controversy

Weird

quote:

In response to questions about the graves, the VA said that the headstones date back to the 1940s, before the cemeteries were placed under VA authority. Veterans Affairs further explained that the markers are protected by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.

"For this reason, VA will continue to preserve these headstones, like every past administration has," a VA official told Salon, which first reported the story.

Probably will take an act of congress, but an act of congress might actually occur for this one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BigDave posted:

Is it a Final Fantasy thing? I don't understand the symbolism of a gigantic sword.

Originally it was enlisted taking a collection to buy a cavalry officer’s sword for a commander they really liked.

Now it’s that.

There is surely no great symbolism here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You can get all the answers you seek, just join the USSF, go through a Single Scope Background Investigation, pass a Counter Intelligence and Lifestyle polygraph, and then sign papers saying if you ever disclose anything you go to prison.

Short of that, just wait for their first PFC Manning to get your juicy space details online. It’s.. disturbingly likely to happen, too.

They did multiple TV series about the stargates, you're not fooling anyone!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I can’t remember- Can you vote for VP and not President? Because, well. If Duckworth is on the ticket I’d give her my vote.

No, but you could write in Duckworth/Biden and spoil the ballot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Given the pay disparity for a software engineer in most of the country it might be cost effective to have a pied a terre in the bay area to keep the higher pay and fly commercial whenever they need you to actually show up at the office.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thwomp posted:

They’re doing the same goddamn work. It doesn’t matter if they’re in Wichita or Monterey.

Jesus gently caress what a thundercunt.

For market total comp for a senior SDE in Wichita is like $110k. In the bay area its more like $300k. This is about a LOT of money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Being in a job closer to the former category than the latter I agree but thats how things currently are and why they're being lovely about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

What's to stop people from just renting PO boxes in the Bay Area and setting it up for forwarding? The gently caress is Zuck gonna do, demand copies of leases?

Presumably making them show up at the office a few days a week if they're in town officially?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

Would this have happened if all of the protesters were open carrying? :nsallears:

These guys need to up their protest to the next level!

Rumor now is someone started shooting so there you go.

This happened a few years ago at another similar protest in Minneapolis but no one was killed that time.

This is the crowd from earlier

https://twitter.com/camilatelesur/status/1265439500358037507?s=21

And outside the precinct

https://twitter.com/andrewmannix/status/1265459440830107651?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did I mention there’s currently a line of strong thunderstorms going through the twin cities tonight? They put up a tornado warning for St Paul and ran the sirens earlier and there’s heavy rain right now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In what seems like the cleverest move I’ve heard of the protestors broke into the precinct parking lot and MPD continued firing tear gas destroying their own personal vehicles in the process.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1265786445853151234

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently the cops were on the roof of the Autozone which was across the way from the precinct.

Police to Fire marshall: "Inflammable means flammable? What a country"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LAPD.mp4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fallom posted:

They'll hang these guys out to dry while quietly resisting any and every attempt to institute meaningful policy changes and independent investigatory bodies.

All the cops in the twin cities not barricading themselves inside their precinct were forming a human wall around the murder's house. I don't think they're going to hang him out to dry.

https://twitter.com/theelovelylaya/status/1265899290825818112

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PeterCat posted:

How hard would it be to make a law making orders that fall just short of benefit thresholds illegal?

Very because if 89 day orders are the new “real” threshold then orders will just be for 88 days.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Mostly conjecture due to the close proximity to Target HQ. Also folks in that Target were stripping embedded electronics out the wall.

targets all have ble beacons absolutely everywhere so their app can tell you exactly you are in the store. i assume its used for other inventory control stuff

is there video of stripping the electronics somewhere?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I mean the mayor of St Paul told them not to help the MPD so it sounds like there's a bit of a "you made your bed now lie in it" thing going on

UM said that they are no longer hiring MPD for helping with events so the entire SPPD probably has looney toons overtime dollar sign eyeballs at the moment and don't want to gently caress that up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Depends on the city. I don't know anyone who isn't related to a Wahlberg somehow that would shed a tear if Boston was razed.

Does that include Foxborough? If not I may cry.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.
(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

(b) Whoever, without intent to cause death, proximately causes the death of a human being by, directly or indirectly, unlawfully selling, giving away, bartering, delivering, exchanging, distributing, or administering a controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $40,000, or both.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Question for joat mon: how much does the precise cause of death matter to charge here? ie, whether he died because he was choked by the cop or had a panic attack then heart attack due to excessive force by the cop or what.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nystral posted:

Yeah how does this work given that the officer was armed, had his gun drawn at one point per the report and the guy died. There was a case in WI from 2018 where a armed robber holding up a burger joint had someone die of a heart attack getting hit with murder charges.

Might've just been the felony murder statute assuming Wisconsin has it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wow, de Blasio going full mask off. The entire problem is that the problem departments are not serving their communities in these major cities, they're people that live in the exurbs that believe they are an occupying army and need to use fear to maintain order. NYPD is probably one of the worst offenders here, but they probably can't be overwhelmed by numbers because its one unified department instead of the twin cities area where all the neighboring departments are saying "fix your own mess" so they can actually easily be overrun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

We used to have a thing in Wisconsin where public servants had to live where they work (loving Walker killed it) but it probably didn't really accomplish much: it just led to neighborhoods like Mustache Heights (literally West Allis New Berlin West Allis within MKE city limits).

It might help a bit with Minneapolis - only 5% of the department lives in the city!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey serious question, who wants to meet up and go yell at the cops? I don't want to just sit here on my rear end and post on the internet about it, but I don't really like the idea of going totally solo. I know there are a couple of CSprings/Denver folks here. Let's get organized.

https://twitter.com/MnDPS_DPS/status/1266865889552588801

Just keep in mind we're all the terrorists now and the full force of what the US has developed for "urban warfare" is about to be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/nataliealund/status/1266877890492108801

This poo poo is terrifying. The cops really are going to loot or firebomb my house tonight in the twin cities aren't they.