Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I don't approve of this thread title, I'm like a TA at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m glad I took the AP history classes in high school because you had to be dragged through the entire thing come hell or high water.

:same:

Our teacher also assigned us readings from Howard Zinn, and we ended the semester by watching The Power of Nightmares.

That was a good class.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Midjack posted:

I think starting in the 1600s would be good to do for world history classes too because again, the Code of Hamurabi doesn’t do a lot to explain why Israel and their neighbors don’t get along. The Memento approach to a history class is something I kicked around too but like you could never come up with a way to present it that wouldn’t lose half the students.

I wish we’d had AP. My school system was garbage.

The thing I love about history is also the thing that makes it so drat difficult to teach: There's a lot of it, it's all interconnected, and there's always more of it. Not to mention the fact that a lot of teachers (And a good part of the general public) see history education as a bulleted list of meaningless dates and names, which is extremely boring and will kill the interest of even the most dedicated students.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cugel the Clever posted:

What's always confused me is the folks I've known who dismiss history as boring, but then can recount the entirety of the extended history of Middle Earth. Sure there's no magic and fantasy creatures in real history, but it's full of insane drama that is often super compelling.

I think that when it comes to any kind of education, you have to make people want to learn, and one of the easiest ways is to give them a personal connection. Stories like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars resonate because they have compelling characters we can attach ourselves to and root for, on top of cool fantasy/sci-fi environments and mystical storytelling. History, likewise, is filled with all kinds of tales and sagas that are incredibly interesting and compelling, but because we insist on teaching for tests and arbitrary benchmarks everything that would make people want to learn more about it is lost. To take it in the opposite direction, if you were told to teach someone about Star Wars, but you had to tell them what year the Death Star was blown up, why Palpatine dissolved the Imperial Senate, and what factors lead to the Rebel victory over Endor, and there was a test on the end where their score was seen as an objective reflection of how good you are as a teacher, you'd run into the exact same problems.

Of course, what makes the problem even worse is how important understanding history is to understanding the world we live in—and even more importantly, having a nuanced understanding of history, and proper methods for finding out things you don't already know.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Speaking of colleges doing dumb things, here's my alma mater!

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1256036879490785281?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BigDave posted:

If it was any other country I would agree, but because it's the CIA...

While the CIA has a notably piss-poor track record in many ways, this is a step down even for them (also they (probably) wouldn't hire dumbass mercs, they'd do it in-house or throw buckets of cash at a disgruntled army general to do it for them).

my wild and unfounded speculation is that they were probably bankrolled by rich anti-communist expats and industrialists in Miami, with knowledge and coordination from the upper tiers of the administration whose knowledge and experience comes from half-remembered plots of Tom Clancy novels, who also didn't want to get the professional intelligence apparatus involved because some grifter convinced them the mercs would be 'deniable,' and also because even the CIA would laugh them out of the room.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Patware posted:

how much am i showing my rear end if i finally ask what crack ping is

It's a CSPAM thing, it's supposed to be the sound of your brain breaking or something like that.

Personally I can't hear it in my head as anything other than a Garand.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I love that noise

My friend's got a Garand and we went shooting right before all this started shutting everything down. Such a fun gun to shoot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flikken posted:

William Tecumseh Sherman is from Ohio. :colbert:

I mean I was born in Ohio but you don't see me bragging about it (because I don't talk about it (because Ohio is terrible))

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flikken posted:

Ok. General Ulysses S. Grant.

Another man who left Ohio as soon as he could and never returned :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flikken posted:

I've been trying to go back for 4 years :saddowns:

Granted I spent 3 years in Appalachia Pennsylvania and the last year in Missouri

you have my sympathies

(honestly obviously Ohio has both nice parts and terrible parts like any other state, and I hope you're able to move back home soon. I of course moved away when I was 2 and have spent most of my life growing up in Michigan, so I am contractually obligated to rag on you guys whenever the opportunity presents itself :v:)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well this is fairly surreal and not at all surprising:

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035535936921601

It's like Fyre Festival meets government procurement.

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1258035541670612992?s=20

Four tweets in and it's already incredible

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

STEPHEN MILLER IS GOING TO GET THE RONA

inshallah

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh poo poo you'll appreciate that one of my HS teachers who was an early twitter adopter owns @kenbuck and is frequently confused for this rear end in a top hat and leans into it whenever possible

:lol:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I say we bring back transportation. Commit a heinous crime, get deported to Mississippi.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1260256034976907264?s=20

I'll post more specifics when I see them, this is what the article has:

quote:

The legislation, which the House is expected to vote on Friday, would devote nearly $1 trillion to state, local, territorial and tribal governments and establish a $200 billion “Heroes Fund” to extend hazard pay to essential workers. It would also send a second - and larger - round of direct payments to individual Americans, up to $6,000 per household. Other parts of the bill would increase nutrition assistance benefits by 15 percent and provide $175 billion in housing assistance, among other things.

e:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1260254988368072707?s=20

And for anyone who wants to read it themselves:

https://twitter.com/sarahnferris/status/1260248656692875267?s=20

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 12, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Betsy DeVos: still the loving worst.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1261321107388366849?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gonna write in Aliens/Bigfoot, then take the rest of the ballot seriously. Biden will take Colorado with ease anyhow.

Please, aliens are ineligible by default and Bigfoot has been missing for years - you he has what it takes to return when the country needs him most? There's only one reasonable choice for President in this election, and that is the humble Mothman.

Also in other news, the House finally did what it should have done a month ago and authorized remote voting.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also Duckworth would be a really solid VP candidate and honestly she's probably one of my top picks, if only for the chance to see her debate Pence (especially if his opinions on Mulan come up)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For what it's worth, I also remembered more handwringing around Duckworth (Possibly because she endorsed Biden), but on review from what I can find via forums search the most egregious posts are from Chieche, who was almost certainly trolling and can be safely disregarded.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

Relax, I'm poking at the thread because she said or did something a couple months ago that caused people to lose their poo poo.

While I'm sure you mean well, I'm not sure poking at all is a great idea right now. Everyone's stressed and on edge, and people are likely to take even good-natured ribbing the wrong way (And, like I said, it doesn't help that on review people weren't even 'losing their poo poo' at her decision to endorse Biden, just general disappointment with Chiche being the only one making truly egregious posts from a quick glance).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TCD posted:

I'd say all the speakers in the past two decades have been pretty - centerish and haven't pushed the left or right envelopes.

I believe Pelosi explicitly has stated she tries to position herself towards the center of the party, and I believe that's fairly common for speakers/legislative party leaders to do in general. Of course, it makes sense—if you're trying to herd cats/wrangle legislators, you want to be in a position where you can appease as many people within the part as possible (And, of course, gather as many favors).

Of course, it's also both funny and sad that as much flak as Pelosi (often deservedly) gets, she's still probably the most effective speaker of the past thirty years. Which of course is damning with faint praise considering the competition is Newt Gingrich, Dennis "Literal pedophile" Hastert, John Boehnor, and Paul Ryan. Ryan in particular will probably go down as one of the weakest speakers this country has had in a very long while—while obviously the House Freedom Caucus made his job extremely difficult, it's still impressive just how ineffective he was.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Loden Taylor posted:

Need a separate thread for dink/DINK/DNQ chat.

:doink:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

does trump outweigh taft

Taft peaked at about 350 pounds, so probably not yet, though Taft also actively worked to lose weight after he left the White House.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DrewLinzer/status/1262785406963077120?s=20

Oh man if the Dems win Georgia and both Senate seats I'm going to die laughing.

Also, McSally is getting obliterated:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1262755501743325184?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Stravag posted:

This year is ticking a silly amount of items off its fuckit list. Im just happy i have a dog who wants nothing more to be a couple feet from me at all times. Really is making this year... well not tolerable but not a complete fuckfest of stupidity and depression. Also she decided she wanted to do catte things last week idfk

That's a beautiful dog! She's lucky to have a good owner.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Woofer posted:

Hillary won those debates like the Falcons won the super bowl.

I mean, she did, it just didn't matter since everyone's opinion of Trump and Hillary was already baked in, and the gains she made after the debates were mostly erased by election day (In part due to ~emails~).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Woofer posted:

If that’s a win then I have no idea why debates exist.

Ostensibly, debates exist to give candidates a chance to speak directly to undecided voters and for each candidate to clearly enunciate their stances on a number of issues while challenging their opponents. In the modern campaign reality, of course, the questions are chosen to generate soundbites, there's not enough time for answers to reach anything of substance, and candidates are carefully coached to avoid straying from any of their pre-established answers and talking points, so they're effectively campaign commercials for undecided or persuadable voters who are only casually aware of the candidates and their proposals (which consists of more people than you'd think, most people aren't mainlining the news or twitter). (modern debates are extremely bad regardless, of course)

As to why the 2016 debates failed to change the result of the election despite Clinton 'winning' all three (Going by polling at least), a lot of it comes down to the fundamentals of why she lost 2016 to begin with, but also because the last debate took place nearly a month before the election, which gave Trump time to recover enough to the point that, when Clinton got hit with the Comey letter at the last minute, he was able to pull ahead by slim margins in just enough states to win.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
:psypop:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1265039451488739330?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm the marginal benefit of producing one more F-35 rather than supporting social programs

Personally, I'd argue that the question of "Should we have robust social services" and "Should we have a gigantic bloated military" aren't mutually exclusive. The United States is an immensely rich and powerful country, and we can absolutely afford to implement a much more vast and comprehensive safety net on top of our existing defense expenditures—especially given that many social programs (Such as food stamps) ultimately generate more revenue than they expend. The challenge there is convincing enough people that protecting, educating, and raising up their fellow citizens isn't a burden, but an opportunity.

With regard to defense spending, the question there that needs to be asked is: What are we trying to do, and what are the long-term and short-term costs of doing so? If we want the US to maintain a global posture with the ability to strike anywhere at nearly any time, with force projection abilities unrivaled by any other country in history, then that's going to be extremely loving expensive and instead of considering arbitrary cuts, we should instead weigh the costs and benefits of doing so, or otherwise consider targeted cuts or reforms to shave the budget without degrading the capabilities that we want the military to have.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Never gonna loving happen, but:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1265664092326580225?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MonkeyWash posted:

If any building needs to burn, it's a Trump branded one

Normally I'd agree with you, but it's the old post office building and an innocent casualty of Trump's incessant desire to buy things and brand them after himself