Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamchicoth
Jul 14, 2006
Problem description: So, I just put this machine together and I'm having a hell of a gremlin. First noticed the issue when I was playing Borderlands 3: Lots of crap going on on the screen and the whole thing just winked off, like a hard reset. Checked event log, dumps: nothing. No BSOD, no warnings.

Attempted fixes:
So I went and started trying to stress test and see if I could recreate it. Started with AIDA64 and during the CPU test it went up to 95C pretty quick and stayed around there. Started spiking up a bit and, around the 15 minute mark, it winked out again. On reboot, AIDA64 said it saw a max of 102C. So I start thinking it's the poo poo stock cooler and order a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B, paste, etc. Of course, this will take several days now with COVID going on...

...and while I'm waiting, I tried Cinebench on a whim. About a minute in, it winks out. I had Ryzen Master in the background to watch temps and it never goes above 85. PPT/Socket Power was at 100%, which I've been lead to believe might be normal.

Furmark ran for 30 minutes and the GPU seemed fine.

I have swapped out PSU cables and tried different sockets to no avail. Still winks out on both AIDA64 and Cinebench

Positive air flow in the case with 2 fans at front pulling in and 1 at the rear pulling out.

RAM is on XMP1 for 3600. Fans are all on max. Everything else is default..

Updated BIOS and Chipset to latest.

Recent changes: Brand new machine... been doing this since day 1.

--

Operating system: Win10 Pro 64, 1909

System specs:

**CPU** | [AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor]
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard]
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory]
**Storage** | [Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive]
**Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card]
**Case** | [Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case]
**Power Supply** | [SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply]

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, lots of close issues, which is why I ordered the cooler. Seems like that's often the issue, but then I'm not sure why it's doing it when the temp is only at 85c. Some indicate it's the PSU, so I've swapped stuff around to see if the problem is a bad port/cable... it would seem not.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The CPU is definitely getting too hot if it's over 100C.

The computer probably shut itself off to protect the CPU from being destroyed.

Gamchicoth
Jul 14, 2006

Zogo posted:

The CPU is definitely getting too hot if it's over 100C.

The computer probably shut itself off to protect the CPU from being destroyed.

Yeah, new cooler is in and -20C. Ran through stress testing and it seems stable; averaging 78C on AIDA64. Going to blame a bad stock cooler, which is surprising given the positive press AMD got for it.

I wish it was more definitive, but things look good to go now.