Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Aoe2 hd Ai keeps resigning before they've even hit castle age and before I've even begun to produce military any fixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

i vomit kittens posted:

I haven't tested it myself but apparently if you set your chat to the enemy and type 104 it will make it so they don't resign.

Thanks. Enemy resigned again when I had a 40 point lead?? Crazy, only 12 mins in and didn't even have any military attacking yet

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

They're launching with 8 civs.

That's not a lot of civs...

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The last 4 AoE4 civs leaked:

England
China
Mongols
Delhi Sultanate
Abbasid Dynasty
French
HRE
Rus

No tines??????????

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Aoe 4 feels weak and impotent to me, lack of byzantines is loving disgusting to my sensibilities

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

How am I just now hearing of this??

Any good?

No and im loving fuming mate about it, an absolute nothing burger until they add more civs

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
i dislike aoe4 because the lack of byzantines is offensive to my sensibilities

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

MikeC posted:

Seige is still exceptionally powerful. Part of the reason why fast castle strategies are so prevalent even on land only maps where economies are far more vulnerable to raiding is that seige weapons even in small numbers can instantly invalidate armies stuck in the feudal age since the hard counter to seige weapons is also only available in Castle age. A player doing French, English, or Mongol feudal harass has an exceedingly tight time window to execute and damage the opposition economy or use rams to force a victory since even a single mangonel can allow the player on the back foot to instantly push back on any type of map control that they lost while they turtled to Castle. This isn't a case where the player fast castling successfully gains equality vs the player who chose to go for feudal map control and harass strategy. This is a case of the player who successfully executes a fast castling strategy having an overwhelming advantage on the player who is now likely stuck at feudal age for a significant period of time and has no remotely cost-effective answer to a mangonel. Also since springalds are still the best counter to other springalds, the fast castle strategy has a head start on massing springalds and the appropriate meatshields for their seige. If you have a feudal army, one micro mistake and your ball eating a mango volley is effectively game over.

This is why the dock meta on hybrid maps is so toxic. Because ships are so tanky and heal near their docks, it is next to impossible to punish their food gathering and all they need is a minor wall off on the closest ford and maybe a tower on their first gold patch and it is neigh impossible to punish a fast castle strat. Not to mention this is also effectively a double TC dark age boom stapled on to the fast castle since fishing boats are effectively just villagers that can only harvest food. You see now why the hybrid maps effectively mean there is no feudal age gameplay. It was already hard enough on land-only maps to punish fast castle or double TC booms when played by competent players who know how to maximize their tower coverage.

Now there isn't anything inherently wrong with this. You can say that AoE 4 is a SimCity to castle/imperial age game and that the design choice is to favour boom and tech strats. You wouldn't be wrong and you can chalk this up to it being a MikeC problem. But from the insane number of dodges on water maps and even hybrid maps (it is often a game of chicken in Quick match to see who will be the one to Alt-f4) makes it clear in my mind that I am not in the significant minority here. The player base is similarly dropping. At the 1200-1300 elo bracket when I play, we dodge the same maps over and over, and its familiar faces many nights.

This would be solved by adding the byzantines...

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
the lack of byzantines at launch is loving abhorrent

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
They could add

Armenians
Georgians
Zimbabwe
Kanembu
Somalians
Kongolese

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

fugging sick

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

aniviron posted:

A while back when the militia-line got base armor buffs the devs were very proud to announce that now two longswords barely beat a single knight in a perfect engagement when it used to be a pillar of game balance that a knight should beat two longswords just barely. Frankly, that's ridiculous. The two longswords have a higher total resource cost if a lower gold cost, take two pop space, and much more importantly they cannot choose their engagements at all, ever. A knight can always just leave a bad situation which means it will only ever take fights it can win, longswords get chased down by every other non-infantry unit in the game. If a knight is meant to be comparable to two longswords, the militia line is doomed to never be good.

I think it's very telling that every single infantry unit in the game which is considered playable (Eagles, huscals, condos, mostly) is much faster than baseline militia/pikes. There are a few exceptions but they're all in incredibly niche situations.

Reduce longsword gold cost plus buff speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
You're both wrong.... improve the speed Decrease the cost add extra infantry damage to rams