Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It is early in the 9th millenium AD (some uncertainty remains) as measured by the long obsolescent clocks of Earth. Or! The year 788 AA (After Apocalypse) if you are feeling with the times!

Wait hang on, you what? You want the short version? Ugh, fine.

Once upon a time there was a Galactic Republic which sprawled across tens of thousands of stars. Hypertechnology allowed everyone to bask in an almost unimaginable standard of living but then everything went wrong, very wrong, extremely badly wrong.

The sort of wrong where everything goes to poo poo so badly that when your handful of surviving descendants start to pick up the pieces they aren't even sure what year it is. Also everything glows in the goddamn dark because some rear end in a top hat dug out the nukes and scattered them around like confetti at a wedding.

So that brings us to what is George Miller's: Civilisation Shadow Empire, the game. Basically it's a turn based empire builder like the Civilisation series but in making it a guy called Vic combined the mechanics of a deep hex & counter wargame like War in the East with classic Alpha Centauri, Frank Herbert's Dune and a dusting of Mad Max. It's deep and fiendishly complex but it's also good, extremely good and it's only in beta testing. It's a bit 90's - tastic in the graphics department because the whole studio was originally one bloke in a shed in the Netherlands and has since moved to a shed in France where this blokes friend who makes amateur 3d graphics decided to chip in a bit.

..Yup!

For this LP I will be playing a multiplayer game with SA's resident LP-maniac Grey Hunter. Check out his Shadow empire preview thread over here.

First things First.

We have to generate a planet and a history for said lump of rock which me and Grey can beat each other & AI nations senseless on. Now it's important to remember this is not Earth. Okay lets stick with something smaller as it is a LP after all. I also opted for a completely random planet (with a little re-rolling to make sure it was interesting) rather than one of a bunch of classes you can select.

Well it's not too bad (compared to most rocky bodies in the universe anyway), place is a dump slightly smaller than Mars. At least it's young and iron-y enough to have a magnetic field to keep down the solar radiation and hold something of an atmosphere. Mars averages about 6mbar of pressure, our new home is 178mbar and Earth is around 1000mbar at sea level. Top of everest is usually around 350mbar just for perspective on how much this palce kind of sucks before you even get into the atmosphere mix. It's above freezing sometimes at the tropics which y'know, is a plus.

Lets just generate the biosphere and wait... What. The. gently caress. This place is truly horrible. A goddamn desert apart from the poles where a water-ammonia based ecosystem has evolved as far as incredibly toxic, frozen, dog sized, land-jellyfish. Ew. Largely a kind-of-backwater during the heyday of the galactic republic it was however a boneyard for a lot of outdated Galactic Republic (GR) military equipment, some bio-science researchers and a lot of farmers in the warm-ish tropics. At the start of the dissolution war nearly seventy-five million souls called Ezira Sinistra home.

This uh, didnt last. Overall the planet was spared any major battles but fell apart as local tensions eventually escalated to local polities tossing leftover nukes at each other and eventually something in the GR army boneyards exploded in a major way scouring almost a third of the planet clean of life.

Oh and a bit later a humongous solar flare screwed up what little technology remained and irradiated a bunch of the planet.

So yeah, Ezira Sinistra! You can't breathe the atmosphere unaided but Terran plants can grow by themselves. Oh did I mention the local microbes are outrageoously deadly so you can't ever leave a sealed environment! Also the Jellyfish dogs will try and eat you if they catch you outside and you can't even get your own back by eating them as everything in the native ecosystem is poisonous to humans.

Sigh.

Welcome to the Apocalypse!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game mechanics explanations

Grey Hunter's perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMI_i_FF55E

Game 2 is ongoing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoitGFD6Z-E

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well lets get started. First up is our Empire-to-be and it's name and origins. The planet is an alien desert full of hostile weird things so I dub my nation "Angry Max."

Lets not mince words. We are a nation of assholes, barely a step up from the raiders and slavers that roam the deserts but that step is important.

Might is right in the realm of Angry Max.

Welcome to the city of uh... Hanson?

Yup, this civilisation thing is something we are clearly great at. Our "word" score is how believable we are and effects a bunch of stuff like making rolls to convince people we are on their side or to follow our plans. Kind of a mediocre starting zeitgeist but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Our opening speech degenerates into rambling about what we will do to people who oppose us, at least it scares them.

Our Militia are ordered to expand in all directions to find what is out there. Units with trucks follow roads while the infantry slog across the deserts.

Cool, this is the whole world. See all those greeny bits at the poles? Those are the cold parts of the world where all the water (and deadly toxic alien life) is. We are about as far as possible from the bits where farming *might* be possible and we have almost no access to water.

First things first, we live in the ruins of an ancient city and I take control ("nationalise") of the scavenging operation which provides all our raw materials.

Also taxes, taxes for everyone.

Oh and off to the east you may have spotted the white unit icons which are a lot of Raider/slaver/various scum so I come up with a genius plan to deal with them.

Lets take our desert buggy and make it absurdly heavily armored. We can call it a car, with armor! An Armored Car!

My cabinet is full of incompetents but I can't really do much about it right now.

Especially the director my my council, 18 Intelligence score... by god this guy is dumb.

I pay some political points (PP) to slash and burn the budget and people do not appreciate it but we need those new cars!

This was a realatively well populated planet before the fall and that means lots of juicy ruins. Right now my plan is to investigate our neighbours and sieze the marked ruin hexes which can be scavenged for raw materials and powerful artifacts of the Galactic Reupblic. That three hex ruin cluster to the far west is a very juicy prize.

Oh and if you look at the bottom of the screenshot above it shows our current political factions. I forgot to mention it but our leading faction in the Politburo right now is the "Sacred School" fanatics, or SS for short.

God loving damnit.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Time to see where you can ride this trashfire.

Someone posted in another thread that all the portrait elements are stored as PNGs and that it is theoretically possible to put cat ears on everyone to go with the 3D art. Should such a mod appear, I can only recommend using it.

E: Ahahahahaha Yes! Yes!

JcDent posted:

As a fun aside, as a preview copy haver, I have discovered that every visual thing in the game is saved as a PNG file.

Hex borders? You have six pngs, one for each border. Well, 12, as you also have 6 files for the zoomed out version.

Those dopy poser faces? You have several files with sets of eyes (8 per file), several files with noses, mouths...

Troop icons? Infantry is infantry armor with a huge gap where the gun goes in.

So technically you can replace all the portraits with an ad-hoc anime girl generator if you have way too much time on your hands.

E: Did the needful:

https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1257976852775346176

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 8, 2020

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I'm getting hyped. Is there anyway to buy this game? To get into some sort of early access? Or do I just have to wait for the steam release?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Release date is apparently June 4th but there is a fair bit of bug hunting to do between now and then.

However you can still apply for the beta on the matrix games site, heck you can just email Vic and ask nicely and it might work.

Also It's probably worth mentioning the planet generator is intense. It does incredibly detailed procedurally generated backgrounds with some amazing emergent outcomes. Grey has just started a new video LP of a game and he has rolled up a lifeless hellhole of a planet but at some point Terran plants got loose and took over all the low elevation valleys of the planet where the air is thick enough to support them leading to the huge valleys and depressions being the best places to live. Sadly during the war some rear end in a top hat nuked the cities there so you have irradiated hotspots all through the good places to live.

This is all emergent behaviour from the planet generator and it's cool as hell.

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 8, 2020

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
This is the first time I've actually seen anything of Shadow Empire and my god it looks amazing. ATG and DC:B are some of my favorite games ever and I can't believe Vic keeps turning it up to 11 with his new work.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I assume this is still crippled in large MP games by it being Igougo so one turn takes a week in a large game?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think the starting ideology of your faction makes this LP the Olympus has Fallen to Grey's White House Down.

The commerce decision point reminds me that I expect to back to work a day or two before the game actually comes out. I hope your settlers are careful with their open air farms. Don't want those microbes to make their way in through the food supply.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

I assume this is still crippled in large MP games by it being Igougo so one turn takes a week in a large game?

Unfortunately it's still the same IGoUGo system. It's not too bad but yeah some sort of wego system would be great if rather hard to manage within the current system.

habituallyred posted:

I think the starting ideology of your faction makes this LP the Olympus has Fallen to Grey's White House Down.

It's an experiment to see if I can get max usage out of my Militia but from looking through the various Regieme bonuses more carefully I think I will have to shift away towards a more government focused society at some point. I plan on racing up the tech tree as fast as possible to try show off some of the stuff there.

Coming up! Ancient Tanks! Vicious raider battles and a bunch of unfriendly AI show up and it's only turn three!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Welp, looks like someone kicked things off with a bang.

Perhaps unsurprisingly our vastly outnumbered militia come under attack, luckily they ambush the attackers and withdraw from the hex before taking any casualties.

Still no effect, ugh I take back anything good I said about this zeitgeist.

!!! Aaaahhh gently caress yeah we turn up a depot with ten working Galactic republic tanks.

Okay well thats a bit unfotunate. They are not at all what I would have hoped for. Essentially Plasma weapons and liquid armor are tools for fighting other high tech opponents equipped with shields and lasers, against low tech projectiles like bullets and RPG's they actually take more damage and 25mm of armor is not a lot. Still the sheer damage output of these guys is going to be very useful but the eggshell armor means they will have to be used carefully.

Oh and in other news a voice comes over the radio saying they want to join our fledgling nation...

... Are you serious, goddamnit. I can't help these guys they are much much too far away. Also drat that is a lot of radiation over there.

Anyway here is the situation at the start of the turn. Lets explore some more.

First though I raise a MG brigade in my capital using all my recruits and most of my stored metals and industry. We still only manage to fill the units about 60%. Expensive but we are going to need the men to hold off the raiders.

Speeding west my Militia unit siezes the ruins and village they were targeting then runs bang into scouts from another Regieme. A Regieme named after an ancient Earth Reptile.

End of turn, I stack up the militia and shiny tanks while another militia unit digs into the hills in the NE to block more raiders.

This is us by the way. I will try do some more detailed explanations of the mechanics as the LP progresses but any questions ask away.

Our Rover update is almost half done, guess this happens when you throw a third of your empires resources at a problem.

I take a the interesting choice of upgrading my HQ first, this will increase our PP and BP (research etc) production significantly and is fairly cheap in terms on industry/metal, both of which are in short supply. I plan to stockpile metals while this is building so I can rush industry after.

I burn PP to retask my councils, right now we were wasting a lot of research trying to research before we even found any technologies to look into!

Anyways that closes out the turn, contact with Grey already. I think he is likely located in the three hex ruin cluster to my west. That's quite the starting position and a huge bonus for getting his economy off the ground with all the scavenged metals & fuel.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of ruins, I suppose they work like mines and you can mine them out completely, right? Are there any sources of infinite resources in game?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah ruins have 'scav' points which go down as you dig them up. They can also be prospected and can be sources for common/uncommon/rare artifacts. There are multiple unlimited sources for water, metals can be conjured via the soil processing techs at quite the energy expenditure and fuel can be refined from food via biofuel crops and also created via artificial synthesis at energy cost.

Lategame tech gets expensive to build. E.g. equipping a soldier with battledress the final combat armour tech costs something like 50 industry and metal as well as a machine point and energy. More expensive than an early game tank by a fair bit!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What game effects does all this radiation have?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Very intriguing. I went and wishlisted the game on steam straight away. Shall be watching with interest!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Radiation and enviromental modifiers.

Pharnakes posted:

What game effects does all this radiation have?

I was actually going to address this next turn, Rad levels effect both populace and troops. and are determined per-hex.

Right now the level in our home is about 150ish, as we get further south-west its going to 250-350 so seeems to be getting worse so whatever caused it likely has it's epicentre in that direction.

Buildings protect population from 500 rads so there is no effect on our people now. If it was exceeding that 500 rads level we would lose happiness every turn till it was fixed and at high levels (like say a fresh nuke, yes the game has nukes) population dies from it. For the troops we have wandering about vehicles are assumed to be sealed and also have -500 rads so they are largely immune to most common levels of exposure. For the infantry all our models are in envirosuits because of the deadly biological hazards so they have a -100 to the rad level. This means right now we are just taking readiness and morale hits but if they go over 500 our suits won't be enough protection and men will start dying.

In order across that's RHL (Respiratory hazard level) BHL (Biohazard level) Temperature, and Radiation level. Lower level armors are much much cheaper and one reason I am struggling a bit to produce enough infantry is the need to equip them with envirosuits because of the biohazard level which cost metals and industry to produce.

As you can see giving a basic dude an envirosuit more than doubles the cost compared to nothing. Right now these are the soldiers we are producing.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 11, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how this game's entire premise is "George Miller's Civilization"

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

This looks like the 'randomly generated War in the East' that I've been dreaming of for years, and it's got an interesting post-apocalyptic setting as well!

But hoooly crap, the developer urgently needs to hire a copy editor! I can even live with the truly terrible event graphics, because that's a matter of availability and affordability of talent, but there is NO reason why anything this full of typos should have made it out of internal testing. If your world simulation is this intricate, you can't at the same time fail so hard at using common English vocabulary. It's too bad, really, because it disproportionally detracts from what appears to be an excellent game with almost limitless replay value.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gimmick Account posted:

This looks like the 'randomly generated War in the East' that I've been dreaming of for years, and it's got an interesting post-apocalyptic setting as well!

But hoooly crap, the developer urgently needs to hire a copy editor! I can even live with the truly terrible event graphics, because that's a matter of availability and affordability of talent, but there is NO reason why anything this full of typos should have made it out of internal testing. If your world simulation is this intricate, you can't at the same time fail so hard at using common English vocabulary. It's too bad, really, because it disproportionally detracts from what appears to be an excellent game with almost limitless replay value.

I've been trying to find typos based on the screenshots, but couldn't see any. What is the problem, apart from the sometimes wonky grammar of "This is an INFANTRY"?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hmm looks like there was some fighting done but we came out ahead.

Remember those poor buggers who joined me but are way way far away. Yeah the raiders try it on but they beat them off.

Raiders also try it on with my Militia but SURPRISE! There are two platoons of GR tanks there too!

Our losses from the turn come from a MIlitia unit getting pushed back by a looot of raiders.

Er right thanks Secretary fellow, good to know we actually are bent on world domination, none of this pissing about.

Also guess what remains completely useless.

Oh and the Armored car design will be complete next turn, I rename it something suitably rugged-sounding.

Economics get rebalanced, why yes I WOULD like some new technolgies how did you guess?

And I guess I slightly misjudged out Industrial production, we only have enough to pay for 74% of a turns construction so it will take 5 turns instead of 4.

Start of Turn

You know what this is actually really annoying. Some (green) assholes from a minor Regime to the south called "Bloodstate" have stormed right up to my capital, having enemy units near cities generates fear a which while it can boost willingness to join the militia also impacts productivity.

Get hosed Bloodstate, for this you are going to get wrecked first.

Anyway its weird that other unit in the west isnt conquering the hexes aroud it. Lets click it an see whats going on...

:captainpop:

:piss: Those are GR sentinels under the command of a minor Regime. Im guessing that the ruins hex a bit to the southwest which might be the epicentre of all the radiation was a GR base and there are a bunch of AI wandering around.

Tough buggers for infantry because armored units resist non-AT weapons but these ones appear to be pretty simple models thankfully.

ANYWAY there are other things to do, I shoot off a message to Grey warning him.

Back at the HQ the governor has turned up an 'enigmatic historian' and asks to give him restricted access, I tell him to bugger off as I kind of want to build mind for the research bonuses.

Even hiring a new leader my choices for the commander of the 1st MG Bde are dismal, I pick Doug Deepland because I think his name is hilarious. Hopefully they will grow into it?

Yay Doug! Anyway I decide to test out my shiny new tanks and throw them at the Raiders SE of my Capital after attaching them to my new MG HQ.

We win quite convincingly.

Elsewhere we do a little expansion, the truck Militia in the west secures its supply lines and the ruin hex and the 1st MG Bde takes positions for an attack on the Bloodstate unit by the capital.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 8, 2020

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Libluini posted:

I've been trying to find typos based on the screenshots, but couldn't see any. What is the problem, apart from the sometimes wonky grammar of "This is an INFANTRY"?

I mean, the game looks very cool to play, but the english is only on the legible side of scrambled.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 8, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well OK, but that's not a typo, just a style choice you don't agree with

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Ceebees posted:

I mean, the game looks very cool to play, but the english is only on the legible side of scrambled.

Hamstering is perfectly acceptable Denglish, it means to hoard, after the animal. Enrich your vocabulary!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

In fairness to Vic English is I think his third or fourth language so some weirdness is expected. He has just posted on the beta forums that he is disappearing for a solid week to basically go fix all the grammar and typos and there is an enormous backlog he has to look at. Plus I think he isn't working with the guy who wrote DC:B anymore who was his main writer.

[E] Also I love the use of hamstering.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 8, 2020

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Libluini posted:

Well OK, but that's not a typo, just a style choice you don't agree with

I've been following the game's development for a little bit longer than just this thread, so my comments weren't directed specifically at anything posted here, but even so, there's enough material in the first post alone. If you stick with the LP, I'm certain that you'll end up agreeing with me sooner rather than later. It's that bad.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Saros posted:

In fairness to Vic English is I think his third or fourth language so some weirdness is expected. He has just posted on the beta forums that he is disappearing for a solid week to basically go fix all the grammar and typos and there is an enormous backlog he has to look at. Plus I think he isn't working with the guy who wrote DC:B anymore who was his main writer.

[E] Also I love the use of hamstering.

Wasn't Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa also full of typos? I remember eventually getting frustrated with the various Let's Plays because the game was leaning on its unique atmosphere so much, but spoiling it with avoidable mistakes like that. So that was the better writer, that he's no longer working with? Oh my.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I don't think I ever noticed any weirdness in DC:B but I guess I'm not that sensitive to it as I barely notice the stuff here anymore.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

after a certain point you don't even see the words in DCB, you just see "Train Nazi +", "Truck Nazi -", "Himmler's gone off the deep end again"

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I noticed Biosphere is spelt Biopshere in the planet gen screen.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

People keep posting lps of this game.

Can ya'll use your hookups and tell the dev to just shut up and take my money already? I really want to play this.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

AtomikKrab posted:

People keep posting lps of this game.

Can ya'll use your hookups and tell the dev to just shut up and take my money already? I really want to play this.

Said it before, will say it again: I want this game in my life too. That said, I respect if he wants to take a some more weeks patching bugs and cleaning up the English. I'd be downloading this right now in its current apparent state if it was early access, but eh.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hmm well that's probably for the best.

Ugh what a waste of a zeitgeist.

In better news our discovery effort pays off and we come up with the concept of armoring our envirosuits. Research into new techs in Shadow empire is a bit different than most games. There is a tech tree which is divided into levels and Military/Civ techs. To enable a tech as a research option you have to 'discover' it and you have to complete researching a certain amount of techs at one level before the next level techs can be discovered. New techs are discovered randomly by accumulating Mil/Civ research points.

Saros posted:

Economics get rebalanced, why yes I WOULD like some new technolgies how did you guess?

As you can see the research councils lets you split your investment of research between discovering techs and researching a tech you have already discovered. I really like this system as it helps prevent beelining for certain techs while also allowing you to priortise finding new techs over actually implementing the ones you have available. A similar system applies for models, first you have to come up with the idea then you have to design a model ofthat type before it can be used.

And speaking of our armored car is ready.

As you can see it has been suitably renamed and is much much tougher. Armor as well as giving more raw HP to the unit has an effect where the weapon calibre (in mm) is divided by the armor thickness (also in mm). Infantry projectile weapons all operate with a 20mm assumed calibre so 20/100 = 20% so all hits from infantry will do 80% less damage. Basically infantry without specialist weapons will really really struggle to hurt these guys. However you can see that despite giving it the biggest possible engine it is not nearly as fast as it's predecessor and gobbles 3x as much fuel.

Now we have completed our new Armored car I talk to the model design guy and tell him to focus completely on finding new ideas for units. I am hoping light tank and artillery shows up asap so I can get some actual offensive power in my units. I lateer realise this was a waste of 2PP as you can just not give him a model to focus on next turn and all the research that would be spent on designing a model would go to discovering new ones.

Elsewhere we turn up some money from occupying a hex with a free folk settlement.

And Yesss finally I draw a spy, all my investment into research means I am not getting many strategem cards to play.

Bloodstate have pissed me off so I send the spy to find out their secrets.

Ahaha what are the sentinels doing, they head right past my unit and occupy a small free folk village next to Grey's border. This is unfortunate in a way because when they occpy a settlement they cause a lot of casualties (I think, I havent actually encountered them before). However if they want to bugger off and annoy Grey then thats fine by me.

I am a polite neighbour and warn people of things like this.

Time to go take out some more Raiders with my GR tanks. As you can see the suitability of the green commander assigned to the bde has gone from 2 -> 10 after just last rounds combat. Leaders, expecially inexperienced ones learn fast when they are fighting.

The GR tanks carry the day as always.

Pushing SE reveals something unfortunate, the border of another Major Regime. Considering there are only 4-5 including me and Grey this seems somewhat unfortunate to have them so close.

Crowded world eh, bear in mind the borders beyond our fog of war are just drawn outwards from what we can see and are not exact borders. Somano are the Sentinel AI's.

I disperse my troops out to sieze more land and head away from the Sentinels towards what I am hoping might be something good at the ruins.

Doo be doop, working on it.

And as I check in on the poor Militia struggling towards my territory before their food runs out (this is apparently fixed in the next patch) I realise that there is no less than ten ruins hexes on the big plateau to my North-east. Yum, a respectable prize that helped out by the fact that if I make it to the green areas around the poles I can farm in the open and the solid white glacier hexes can be mined for water. Maybe Bloodstate isnt the best direction to head at first?

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 9, 2020

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Hamstering is perfectly acceptable Denglish, it means to hoard, after the animal. Enrich your vocabulary!

I had the pleasure of being introduced to this terminology after I started dating my Dutch girlfriend, didn't even blink while reading that so I must be getting institutionalized.

The only thing that's throwing me with this game so far is the atrocious attempt at 3D graphics, I'm pretty sure the original Command and Conquer (1995) looked better than everything that isn't the map. I appreciate trying to make procedural portraits and what have you, but yikes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't worry, we'll get anime portrait mods eventually judging by the post quoted earlier in the LP. :v: Military Strategy with catgirls and gundams.

JcDent posted:

As a fun aside, as a preview copy haver, I have discovered that every visual thing in the game is saved as a PNG file.

Hex borders? You have six pngs, one for each border. Well, 12, as you also have 6 files for the zoomed out version.

Those dopy poser faces? You have several files with sets of eyes (8 per file), several files with noses, mouths...

Troop icons? Infantry is infantry armor with a huge gap where the gun goes in.

So technically you can replace all the portraits with an ad-hoc anime girl generator if you have way too much time on your hands.

E: Did the needful:

https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1257976852775346176

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turns flying fast at the moment as long weekend in lockdown means all the time in the world. Hmm looks like I got 400 of them for very little in return. Oh and the zeitgeist remains worthless.

Well a new model is discovered, that was quick. Sadly motorbike infantry are of pretty marginal utility in my opinion, I could really use some arty or light tanks.

The Sentinels disappear in to the fog of war, ah I think they havent moved off the village as there are no flipped hexes. Presumably slaughtering all the inhabitants still. Another Sentinel unit appears from the south.

Attacking a high tech tank unit with riflemen goes exactly as well as you would expect.

Next up we have to choose a policy goal. If you make promises you get more 'word' score which makes leaders which value that (most of them) like you more. Also it would be enough to push me over 60 Enforcement which doubles the easy of recruiting as well as some other misc stuff. Plus it's something I was going to do anyway!

As you can see we only have the one promise at the moment.

I decide to not select a model to research as bikes are kind of meh and I am researching padded envirosuits which means I will need to redesign everything with infantry in it anyway. Cmon tanks!

On the border with bloodstate we turn up a luxury brothel.

And to my delight private enterprise starts building an ice mine on the water asset by my capital. There is a whole private economy which is out of your direct control but when it builds assets they pay you a little cash and a % of their resource output every turn. Free water is good as I will soon need to get some dome-farms out to suplement the private dome-farm in my capital.

More raider skulls are cracked by our elite tanks.

Doug, commander of our only HQ unit the 1st MG Bde is now up to a 20% combat bonus from 2% just 2 turns ago. Leaders are powerful but to be fair each turn apparently represents about 2 months in Earth time (obviously different planets have different seasons etc etc!)

We push out further into Bloodstate because why not. Lets see what they can do about it.

Finally as we have spare industrial capacity but almost no metals I extend a road to our ruin hex by the Croctopia border, you need to establish a logistical network to a hex before anything can be built there.

I am hurting for PP so I burn our only Fate point to get a whole bunch.

As we started with the 4 basic council established getting more is expensive. I get the staff council up and running because I am anticipating having to research orders of battle for tank and artillery units and thats a big part of what they do.

Hanson has also sucked in enough free folk living in the zone to be upgdaded to a better place to live.

With the enforcement bonus recruiting is easy so I slash the sign up bonus from 15 to 2 and up recruits per turn to 700. I also give him a small public works budget to build things hospitals, schools etc.

Oh and the spy in Bloodstate is reporting back, we get info on it's capital and borders.

Finally a quick check of the victory screen!

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

It generated an AI faction called 'Friedraum', and another one called 'Friedland' in a game with only two AIs? That's really unfortunate.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ah where is the Friedraum? That said there are probably about 20 ai of various types, just most are minor Regimes like Sentinels, raiders, farmers, fanatics etc etc (there are a fair number of possible minors) which don't operate under the same rules as players/Major AI.

[E]

https://youtu.be/uMI_i_FF55E

Grey Hunters perspective is starting to go up. Don't fret I haven't watched it so you can scheme with him in peace.

Saros fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 9, 2020

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Saros posted:

Ah where is the Friedraum? That said there are probably about 20 ai of various types, just most are minor Regimes like Sentinels, raiders, farmers, fanatics etc etc (there are a fair number of possible minors) which don't operate under the same rules as players/Major AI.

[E]

https://youtu.be/uMI_i_FF55E

Grey Hunters perspective is starting to go up. Don't fret I haven't watched it so you can scheme with him in peace.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question here, but in the overview screen at the very end of your last update there is a list of major powers. Two of them are AI, the other two are players. Although yeah, I should probably have specified that I was not considering minors in that statement.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh right of course, I had only actually looked at mine and Grey's stats just to see the population numbers but yeah you are correct the RNG seems to have outdone itself here

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK yeah now I see the typos and bad grammar, holy yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

No losses or kills but a few decisions to make, lets get to it.

Whoa... it ... did something!

And that's a Regime feat for pushing my Autocracy level up last turn. It's pretty mediocre to be honest.

In better news machiinery is needed to make a lot of buildings and this should tide us over until we get a proper industrial base up.

Our Bureaucratic Point (BP) investment generates a diplo card and our cult makes a unit feat. The priest is going right onto the GR tanks!

poo poo me walkers are fast. They roll back towards their home territory with frightening speed and another one shuffles along with our units. They don't seem agressive at the moment so I am going to leave them alone as long as possible.

You know what gently caress this guy i'm going to replace him as soon as I can.

Anyway time to select a director for the staff council. Choices are Peetsun and Grant, both fresh recruits.

Peetsun is kind of an idiot who is good at literally nothing but gets selected anyway.

Grant is destined for greatness as spymaster or diplomat. 46 interpesonal rating as a fresh junior recruit is bloody wild even if his interests appear to mostly involve a boot stomping on a face forever.

Budget for Staff council is set, off you go Peetsun design me some armies.

I am not getting many breaks this game. Ah well at least it's cheap to buy them off and democracy is low enough it won't interfere with my autocracy score.

So yeah, lol, remember those assholes who I was going to invade anyway? Yup.

We tell them in great detail where they can stick their demands and apparently they dont like it.

In response to this I spend a bunch of credits to buy some metal and outfit an infantry batallion. Not much but the best we can do while the HQ production is hoovering up all our metal and 80% of our industrial capacity every turn.

Oh and hang on what the hell! My prospectors just discovered a metal deposit! gently caress yes if I can get this up and running my early game metal worries are over.

Oh right its by the border with bloodstate because of course it is. It will also take some industrial investment to get a road out there but worth every bit.

In the east we completely surround a raider unit we pushed back last turn and our tanks slaughter it to the last man. Good riddance.

If it's war Bloodstate wants thats what they get. Plans are drawn up for a swift decapitation strike on the capital using our truck militia and single tank unit to bypass their men in the desert. There are some uh, logistical issues but im sure everything will be fine. The screenshot is with the logistical overlay on and represents units recieve 25% less supplies for every grade of color so by the time you are on red you're only at 25% of the supplies you ask for actually arriving. In happier news that road we are going to build towards the metal mine should improve things a bit.

Alrighty our first war, here we go!

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 11, 2020