Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Do you mean against Not The Federation or Bloodfort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Always be seeking to cut off supplies: no supplies = dead army. Just ask Clux.

You went in that direction a little bit, but could do more. Sacrificing a single unit or two is very worthwhile. He would probably have to divert a good number of units to block and kill yours. It will also drive up danger and lower happiness a lot.

Also, I would have tried keeping Limespring. Since it is a former capital, it should have good assets there. Building an SHQ there and putting some troops under it could have held out quite long (and still you BP production, etc).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Nah limespring wasn't a capital, it has literally no buildings not even a truckstop.

I will definitely be trying to mess with supply, the issue right now is my units terrible readiness means they can hardly move.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Saros posted:

Do you mean against Not The Federation or Bloodfort?

I mean against not the federation, and was noting that this war will probably do nothing but serve you both up for the guy who's already the biggest threat on the planet.

I really don't know what NTF was doing; this isn't nearly a large enough army to give your forces in the area trouble. He should have shoved 10 battalions between you and your army in limespring.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 13, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Saros posted:

Nah limespring wasn't a capital, it has literally no buildings not even a truckstop.

I will definitely be trying to mess with supply, the issue right now is my units terrible readiness means they can hardly move.
Oh, then I misread that with Limespring. It has been a while ;)

I would try to invite NTF further into you territory and surround his army. It is way too concentrated with nothing covering his flanks.

It's a bit unfortunate that your road is right on the border.

Reminds me of another MP game you're in.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 40

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8i6ORWk-Aw

Turn 40. Not the Federation's offensive stalls as he seems to spot the threat to his flanks and we finally complete polymer armor which will let us design better tanks. However I am pretty sure that in my attempt to keep the video time down I forgot to actually tell the model design council to get cracking on a new tank model. Bummer!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 41

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThPL0Q9Yj74

Turn 41. The front with Not the Federation remains fairly stable as he is unable to bring his superior tanks to bear in the very dense terrain. I threaten his flanks but he is recruiting new brigades to cover them so it's unlikley I will be able to complete any real encirclements.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 42

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hqOh769DGk

Turn 42. A turn of turnaround as we try to cut off Not the Federation's armored spearhead and pile in enough troops to hopefully hold the pocket closed! I also discuss the diplomatic situation and what the future may have in store. Our new tank model also rolls very high on its design rolls to my great delight.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
That's a nice looking pocket, can't imagine this is playing out how the Federation was hoping.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I imagine he will be quite annoyed. I think he wasn't expecting the sheer amount of infantry I am able to throw at him and the heavy combat armour upgrades I've been doing mean that actually getting kills on them in bad terrain is quite challenging with the tanks he has.

Plus the withdrawal from Limespring means he has to slog through all the AI troops to it instead of it falling easily, further stretching the line out.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Could you get more artillery up at the front? That rocket strike made an impossible attack completely doable, that could really be a make-or-break in rough terrain like this.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I think I will definitely try, unfortunately we are at the tech level where artillery gets steadily less effective as infantry armour gets heavier and it's almost useless against tanks which comprises a good chunk of NtF's frontline forces.

The Rockets are a hangover from my starting units and I don't actually have a good rocket model to deploy. They are also super expensive and use enormous amounts of ammunition which all needs to be shipped to the front.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 43

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6faMfh4kQq8

Turn 43. Not the Federation makes an attempt to break our encirclement and pushes elsewhere on the front. We do what local counter-attacks we can and shore up the line.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 44

Turn Video

Well poo poo it seems OBS didn't record the video for unknown reasons.

Turn 44. In which I get utterly wrecked by my SHQ and OHQ commanders failing their rolls, I lose over 100 tanks and 2000 infantry on counter-attacks which really should have worked thanks to this. I also do an economic survey with the conclusion that NtF can't defeat me long term but right now is throwing the game to BloodFort.

Things are also heating up on the Boodfort - Bolton border.

Some Stats

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 2, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 45

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGBt2JCJMPQ

Turn 45. Not the Federation makes a final attempt to break out his surrounded troops but to no avail. We do however lose a number of our own to his brand spanking new laser-tanks. Yikes. The buildup also continues along the Bloodfort/Bolton border.

Here are NtF's new tanks compared to mine.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 46

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJwldsaMEg

Turn 46. Not the Federation carries out some desultory attacks and our counter-attacks pus hhim back in a few hexes. The front is mostly stable in the heavy forested terrain and this is looking like the grinding war of attrition

Looks like I forgot the screenshots for this one. Oops!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 47

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNInEQrt0gY

Turn 47. Not the Federation tries increasingly desperate attacks but the line holds and we punch back hard making two separate breaches in his front lines and pushing right next to his southern border city. It will hopefully fall next turn.

Now that we have the advantage I am tempted to seek a diplomatic solution so I can swing my army about to focus on the Bloodfort issue. On the other hand if we can break through NtF we can advance directly on Bloodfort without having to shuffle our entire army to the other side of the planet. Let me know your thoughts!

Stats! (link to Imgur album with lots)

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
As someone who has never played this game, from my outside perspective if I thought I would be able to quickly take all NTF's cities I would do so. It's better to have one less threat on your border, especially since they were willing to backstab. If you don't think you'd be able to take them out relatively quickly, try to grab a few cities off them at least in a peace deal.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 48

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2O6-xu63Ok

Turn 48. Not the Federation seems to be able to reinforce his troops at a greater rate than I expected and we suffer some heavy casualties while attacking despite generally taking ground.

Elsewhere the Bolton/Bloodfort front is still quiet despite larger and larger numbers of troops piling up.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I really don't understand NtF's decision-making here. They're essentially trying to hand the win to Bloodfort, instead of allying with you against them and maybe scavenging enough good territory while you guys are distracted to give them a chance when the dust settles. Not a great chance, but still better than they have now.

Just stopped giving a poo poo maybe?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 49

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdLk0jBcjU

Turn 49. A unfortunate reversal between turns as Not the Federation counter-attacks and inflicts some heavy casualties on our tank force. Elsewhere my advance stalls as we spend thousands of industry to bring our infantry up to the laser rifle/heavy combat armor standard. Hopefully it will be enough!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Neophyte posted:

I really don't understand NtF's decision-making here. They're essentially trying to hand the win to Bloodfort, instead of allying with you against them and maybe scavenging enough good territory while you guys are distracted to give them a chance when the dust settles. Not a great chance, but still better than they have now.

Just stopped giving a poo poo maybe?

I think the game has been going on long enough that they are just more interesting in fighting it out than any complex diplomacy.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Saros posted:

I'm gonna have to have a word with Vic about the size of his nuclear warheads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFgqdTyXrK4

that wasn't 1 1 MT nuke. it was 10. That was 10 MTs. gosh that was pitiful

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Reuined Megapolis Turn 50

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liXpCBmTWoA

Turn 50. We produce a large amount of artillery after seeing their effectiveness demonstrated in the field and our attack presses forward in the open terrain in the center of the front. Elsewhere Bloodfort and Bolton continue to stare at each other over their ultra-fortified border and I do some diplomacy behind the scenes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Switching over to energy weapons just means you can devote all of your ammunition to artillery tubes.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 51

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teGcyZ8-GQY

Turn 51. Emmisaries arrive from Bloodfort announcing they are cancelling our treaties at the same time troops start to build up on our border. This smells of trouble and we are forced to react.

I have also put a bunch of stats/tech reports and unit cards in an album for your perusal. I will do a writeup of how I currently stack up against bloodfort if I get time.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 21, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Eve of war asessment of the major combatants.

Troop Models

Key
My Troops : Bloodfort [Orangdevil] : Bolton (Clux)

(A bunch of our models seem to be named the same, we probably rolled the same namelist at game startup.) His have brown jackets mine have purple, Clux's have red-ish.

: :
Not much difference between our latest riflemen and bloodfort's except he has got better hard attack, presumably from armor piercing optimisation tech.

Our AT Infantry are significantly better, my design rolls are the literal theoretical max for weapons which i've never seen before.

:
My Machine guns are slightly better but there isn't much in it.

His Artillery are better, especially at defense (mine have a terrible armor roll that will hopefully be fixed next iteration). His have 1 extra attack at the cost of more metal/industry/ammo usage. I think when I update mine to 300mm next iteration I will have somewhat better guns overall.

His tanks are better than mine, the laser has higher calliber (100mm equivalent) so the attack values against anything with more than 60mm of armorwill be much better than the stats show.

Clux has a bunch of Tank destroyers as well.

However what the current models don't show is that he is 1-2 turns of research from being able to equip walkers with beam guns and they are going to be horrific to deal with. Me and Clux (Bolton) are pinning our hopes on getting micro-nuke RPG troops.

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 21, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Annnd I accidentally hit post instead of preview, oops.

Technology

Bloodfort (Orange Devil)

Orange is beelining hard for beam/laser walkers and is about to get there before I even have laser guns. poo poo. At least my RPG troops will be able to hopefully put some hurt on his walkers.

Bolton Wanderers (Clux)

Unfortunately Clux hasnt got Laser guns yet either but he like me has the crucial industrial robotisation tech while Orange does not (yet).

Me:

Critical techs I need are the micro-nuke and Laser guns.

Military Size

Bloodfort

Three infantry Corps and four Infantry Brigades (A Corps is slightly more than 3x the size of a Bde). Totalling 76,000 men under arms as well as 250 tanks and 400 artillery tubes. Less than I had thought before I set out to total them but they are pretty much all the latest greatest models.

Bolton

Three Corps and three Brigades plus a smattering of independent units. Totalling around 80,000 men under arms accompanied by 410 tanks and 820 artillery tubes.

Me

As of the end of this turn I have a tad over 100,000 men under arms, across fourteen infantry brigades and an infantry corps. They are supported by approximately 700 tanks and 600 guns. Unfortunately except for four brigades (~20,000 men, no AFV/tubes) they are all deployed against Not the Federation.

Not the Federation (Habituallyred)

NtF has a mere seven infantry brigades totaling only 23,000 men (they are understrength, a Bde should clock in around 5000 troops). He does however have a staggering 780 Tanks/Quad mech MG/armored cars and 460 Artillery tubes. Considering I have killed about 600 of his AFV's im astonished at how many he still has left.

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 21, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hmm, quite a situation you are in.

I would be most worried about your northern flank against him. That can get quite close to your important stuff pretty quickly. The southern one is a long way off from anything important.

It's tough to say what I would go for. Heavy RPGs/micro-nuke RPG really do seem a good possibility - those laser guns aren't very effective against infantry.

On the other hand, he seems to have gone mostly for infantry (grenadiers with infantry + MGs + RPGs). Not a single dedicated tank brigade. So you should actually be pretty fine on the defensive. Some massed 60mm howitzer light tanks could actually do quite good against what he has at the moment. Of course, once walkers come online, the situation will change rapidly. However, the first iteration of a model is usually not that good. So it would take some time to actually get really useful ones out for him. And then there is the terrain, which is heavily forested, which again limits tanks but does not limit walkers at all... So you actually are back to relying more on the RPGs.

Your artillery should be a lot better than his once you upgrade to 300mm. He basically only has a single attack more despite theoretically having 50% more firepower. Of course, the actual effectiveness of artillery is no longer in killing anything, but just in reducing readiness, entrenchment, and protecting against bombardments.

I would maybe try just holding on on your eastern flank and just continue to focus on killing Not the Federation and driving through him towards the SHQ on the otherside. The terrain is comparatively open. If you can quickly get some 60mm howitzer light tanks or some 105mm howitzer assault guns or medium tanks up, you might be able to mostly run around his infantry and then kill it. I can't imagine he can afford to build too many useful beam gun walkers that quickly.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah I am not in a great position. After talking with Habituallyred (NtF) he is stuck at 100 relations with the other two players so couldn't war them even if he wanted to and it doesnt seem like Bolton is going to be able to intervene in that war without catastrophic results to his happiness and morale.

RPG troops are my best bet at this point I think, helped out by the extremely good design rolls I have for the model. Overall though I don't think I can hold unless NtF collapses faster than he is now, once Orange really steps over to mass production of walkers (I think the lack of indie units is him waiting for walkers) and troops he has such a commanding economic lead its going to be almost impossible to match and the sheer size of our border means that despite the rough terrain it's going to be hard to stop him securing local superiority in palces.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 23, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 52

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMkX20DuC5E

Bloodfort continues to build up troops on our border and we follow suit. On the western front we complete upgrading of all our infantry to the latest models and in the north we finally break through in a major way and cut one of Not the Federation's roads to the front. Hopefully this is the turning point of the war we have been working towards.

Bloodfort seems to be filling out the regiments of his siege infantry, building 400 brand new incredibly nasty Howitzer III models last turn. Oh dearie me.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 53

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHteS7xD4bM

Well the worst has come to pass. Bloodforty has declared war and come sweeping over the borders, at least ta couple of turns before I thought he would be ready. So far it's not disastrous but I am not going to be able to keep up with the insane amounts of production he can put out (700 artillery pieces plus three infantry brigades) in the last two turns alone.

C'est la vie.

My Arty vs His

:

Saros fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 27, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh well.

Artillery is a thousand times better on the defensive than on the offensive, so even just a few pieces here and there should at least soften the blow a lot. As long as he is investing all his production in artillery (and not tanks + walkers), it might give you a chance.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 54

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQskrNKnm9A

Bloodfort begins his march against us with his bottomless supply of troops and our small counter-attack in the south goes very very poorly. On the western front news is better as the two prongs of our breakthroughs meet, cutting off a large number of NtF troops and we take the city of Limespring in the north with a daring deep strike from our tank regiment. Hopefully next turn we can complete the heavy siege grenadier formation and update all our formations facing Bloodfort to that, it has enough artillery to take the edge off bombardments and the MG/RPG to hold ground.

Oh and we reached our short term casualty limit, from now on we start taking happniess hits the more troops we lose.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 55

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY1nwei5DMY

This turn the alliances for the final war shake out largely in my favor and we manage to hold our encirclements against NtF. Unfortunately Bloodfort continues to push forward and there is not much we can do about it.

In better news we suffer fewer casualties so our short term total lowers away from the limit.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

At least you've got a lot of space to retreat into!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Unfortunately I will start running out of defensible terrain quite fast in some parts of the north and he's threatening to escape the forest in middle.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 56

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BVMV9LL09E

The slow retreat in the face of Bloodfort's hordes continues while we rush to finish off Not the Federation. Bloodfort has started to amass very large amounts of troops on his border with NtF including some outrageously good medium tanks we have no real counter for. Strategic war against Bloodfort also begins as our missiles start to rain down hell.

Finally at the end of the turn I realise Bloodfort has almost completed Battledress - the powered armor tech - so we can expect to see that on his infantry soon.The slow retreat in the face of Bloodfort's hordes continues while we rush to finish off Not the Federation. Bloodfort has started to amass very large amounts of troops on his border with NtF including some outrageously good medium tanks we have no real counter for. Strategic war against Bloodfort also begins as our missiles start to rain down hell.

Finally at the end of the turn I realise Bloodfort has almost completed Battledress - the powered armor tech - so we can expect to see that on his infantry soon.

Bloodfort's tech report:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 57

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgUZqsyaT5c

Well it's official, the wheels are coming off my empire... hard. With our economy overstressed by the demands of non-stop war and the enormous size of the Bloodfort front we are starting to suffer shortages of food, energy and soon oil. Measures are put in place to mitigate this but it may be too little too late.

Not the Federation retreats to his last redoubt of two cities as we begin to missile his capital and Bloodfort continues to summon endless fresh troops including very dangerous Walkers and Assault guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ruined Megapolis Turn 58

Turn Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Sh51iEB0I

A bloody turn for us as Bloodfort pushes forward. Our troops are without a SHQ commander and are starting to face Battledress armored troops so they are struggling to give a good account of themselves. Bloodfort also declares on Not the Federation to swoop through his territory and engage my troops. Two of the eastern fronts near collapse as we desperately try to recruit more troops and stabilise the lines.

Ugh.

Whoops! No food. However something seems to have happened to shake loose the traders and they have money again so I can finally buy some to supplement my income.