Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

drat, I missed this thread for too long! This game is looking really, really interesting - can't wait for next week.

Just a couple of things I noticed:
1. Watch your water supply. Both the food production and your serpentinization plant need a lot of it. You might want to nationalize the Ice Mine in Texisalt.
2. Influencing factions would also be very helpful to mess with Grey Hunter. If you can find out what faction is mostly opposite to his ideology you can support them and really mess with his support (even more).
3. Not so relevant any more, but if you aren't researching or developing any models, those BPs are not just wasted, but instead pushed into discovery. I think you are putting too much into research at the moment (you switched back and forth a lot) - which is why you are researching something useless (physical storage).
4. You might want to push a lot more budget into the Economic Council. That's what is used for researching (economic) tech, but also finding more resources, etc.
5. It's nice to see you use your fate cards and using some negative effects to get points. There are seriously powerful cards to be played. But everybody seems to be afraid of a little danger, unrest, or whatever and simply laments that they don't have any fate points.
6. Archeology efforts seems to be really worthwhile. There are some seriously strong artifacts/cards that can be excavated.
7. And lastly - for the logistics you can switch between viewing the current logistics and the expected logistics for next turn. That could have saved you some trouble in the beginning, as you can immediately see the effects of the changes you've done.

Overall I really like what I'm seeing. I think Grey Hunter will be in trouble. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Saros posted:

As was kindly pointed out we are about to exceed our water intake, I will have to do something about this.
:colbert:

I mentioned it because in the LP of DasTactic (on Youtube) he kept finding lots and lots of fuel, complained about finding so much fuel, but never really built lots of fuel. So of course he ran out of fuel...

Saros posted:

I didnt even ask for this guys! Why are you mad!
I get the impression that there is (like in everything in this game!) some kind of two tier system to the relationship. One is the attitude (friendly, hostile, etc) and one is some kind of score. I think it was also in the DasTactic LP that he had a relation score of 100 with a major regime, while also having a hostile relationship.
I would guess that if you are friendly, they can help you. But the relation score limits how much, or how often they can help you.

And drat, those rolls... :rolldice:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

You mixed up the screen shots for the leaders, I think (its the same picture twice). There's also a mixed up screen shot on Round 31 (the one where the defenders pile up in the city).

Saros posted:

Jesus christ what on earth why are we so far behind.
I think upgrading the Supreme HQ right away was not a good decision. It seemed extremely expensive and took a lot of time. Building/upgrading the bureaucratic offices and a bunch of other smaller buildings might have pushed that up faster. In addition, since your leaders were/are quite unhappy for a long time, they also pushed down your income. Lastly, you did have the economic council budget very low for a long time.

However, you are in a very good position to quickly catch up, as you are much larger now. You just have to hope that Grey's troops west of Deeprange don't just continue going after eating up that territory (and you are moving troops there just in case).

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 3, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

€38 seems like a very fair price to me.

Right now I defeated the lizard riding raiders, I'm beating up the mutants, and haven't run into the 12m long carnivores yet.

I have cratered my economy multiple times, thereby lost my Galactic Republic era tanks to starvation, and lost the race to conquer a second minor regime.

This game really hits that one more turn itch...

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 5, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Saros posted:

I have enough machines to equip 700 of my most experienced troops with it. Sadly I lack the rare metals required to make more and machines are very expensive to buy.
You can also build machines (same place you build ammunition). They cost 20 metal, 20 rare metals, 20 industrial points.

Oh and I posted about the Erklarungswagen on the forums. I went with Spähwagen, which is the official designation of the Fennek (recon vehicle in the German army). It was already bothering me, but not enough to post about it ;)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Do you really have to ask?
Yes

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Stampede all over Grey and then do a 4 player multiplayer game afterwards. We can see how tiny we can get the map to go, start with 2 armies, advanced tech, etc and see if the game can be over within 30 or so turns.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

One tip to lower relations: Try to negotiate good stuff (trade, whatever) in which you are guaranteed to fail the roll. That will lower the relation by 10.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Reports -> Regimes

There are reports about the military, the techs, trade, etc - if you have enough espionage.

I wish you could look at the same reports for your own regime, and also get the data added to the Stats pages if your spying is good enough.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh, wow Grey only has unupgraded infantry?! Really? You can look at the exact stats they have by selecting one of his units.

You will roll all over him.

I personally don't really like motorized infantry. It feels like they are less effective than normal infantry despite costing twice the manpower. Every time I look at the unit, see they have 15 or whatever stacks, only to realize that that is actually a half strength unit, with only 500 infantry and 10 trucks...

Now mechanized units on the other hand, those are really great with the additional firepower.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Everything is fine. If Grey really only has unupgraded infantry (on turn 58!) then you will cut through them like a hot knife through butter.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Man, the supply/logistics situation looks horrendous in those last two screenshots. Just a sea of black and red, and the preview of the logistical points doesn't look good either. It looks like the front-line cities aren't contributing much if any logistical points at all. I'm guessing they are so starved of resources, that they can't fuel the truck stations.

There is some room for improvement by closing off some more roads and pushing more logistical points down just one or two roads. But obviously that can only help so much when you are screwed by (non-deliberate) nefarious Grey Hunter shenanigans.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It's a question of industrial points, how many logistical points you really have to push down a road, etc.

A single level one truck stations (100 industrial points, 2 turns until effective) or supply base (50 industrial points, 2 turns until effective) is very cheap and fast to build. Building a sealed road (maybe over mountains!) can get really, really expensive. Looking at the territory, it looks like it would cost 24 industrial points per hex for a dirt road or 60 per hex for a sealed road. That adds up very quickly. So if you just want to quickly push down some road to support an offensive, it's cheaper to build dirt road and then a truck station and supply base.

If you have a city at the end of that, you might actually need a level two or three truck station to move enough resources. Those are a lot more expensive (and bind more manpower). So at that point it might become worthwhile to build a sealed road or railroad and save a station or two.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Looking good.

With that road north out of the capital cut, that half of Grey's troops will starve quite quickly.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Congratulations on the win! Well done.

As always getting over that starting hump as quickly as possible is key. Once you have that second city, enough resources to get the economy moving, etc it quickly snowballs from there. You made it over that hill, Grey didn't.

Saros posted:

Grey suffered a lot from a poor starting position and a harsh planet but even more from a lack of focus. If you don't have any immediate targets for expansion you need to pick a direction and economically slaughter raiders and other non-aligned troops to make a path to where you can start taking over minor's with cities. Pulling back the fog of war after the end of the game There is a solid belt of farmer cities just beyond his sight to the west he never quite reached because he went back and forth with raiders etc to very little effect. This is where all the missing population of the planet is on the victory screen and they could have been all Grey's.
This seems like a fair description. I mean, I could post some screenshots from our multiplayer game where exactly that is the issue. I had/have (sorry Banditu!) a solid belt of cities through which I could expand, and you had mostly empty desert. But since you just kept expanding through that relatively empty area, you are actually not in too bad of a situation (and there are some minors right outside your borders, so keep expanding and just ignore me blobbing some more!).

quote:

The amount of un-upgraded troops was also pretty bad.
I think he finally finished developing his first upgraded infantry unit the turn you declared war on him. Having at least one very good unit (infantry, tanks, or buggies) is in my opinion one of the most important things. As that lets you finally roll over all the wild animals, sentinels, militia, mutants, slavers, etc. Some players get the Model Design Council as the first council they get because of this.

But then, who watches Grey Hunter's LP's because he's good at the games he plays? ;)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Knowing rebels, the chance that they will cut off your troops is 100%.

It looks like you should be back in the game once you conquer the two minors. Not the Federation seems quite screwed, being sandwiched between the two other human players that are both much bigger than they are and are also quickly running out of room to expand.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah, rebels are very fast. I'm not sure if they ignore Zones of Control or they simply have lots of action points.

I learned the hard way that you always want to have some troops sitting in a city. I just usually have a single battalion of light infantry sitting in each city.

Seems like you'll be busy with the rebels for the next couple of turns.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hey, getting back on track! A very important turn for that.

You could push up recruitment in your capital for a few turns - having filled out formations is quite helpful and it would let you maybe get a light tank army or something like that up. You can always turn it down again afterwards.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I think that goes into the same direction as upping recruitment when needed, and lowering it later again. It is quite easy to move around the budget and priorities of various organizations. So, if you are missing leaders, its just a cost of 5 PP to give the staff council a much larger part of the cake and focus them on creating leader cards.

Now, changing the budget does cost relationship with leaders, so that part can't be done all the time, but changing priorities only costs the 2 PP to call the leader.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

You keep on thinking that Shoreditch is further west than it is. You accidentally built some stuff there a while ago and also now have troops uselessly sitting around in the middle of nowhere.

Also, you missed the unit of rebels that spawned just off the road west of Liberty that will cut off your far western troops (once again).

Lastly, I can't believe Not the Federation actually agreed to let you take Limespring. They have to know that they are first on the chopping block for all other players, simply because they are so small and centrally located.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

This is what I meant:

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Always be seeking to cut off supplies: no supplies = dead army. Just ask Clux.

You went in that direction a little bit, but could do more. Sacrificing a single unit or two is very worthwhile. He would probably have to divert a good number of units to block and kill yours. It will also drive up danger and lower happiness a lot.

Also, I would have tried keeping Limespring. Since it is a former capital, it should have good assets there. Building an SHQ there and putting some troops under it could have held out quite long (and still you BP production, etc).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Saros posted:

Nah limespring wasn't a capital, it has literally no buildings not even a truckstop.

I will definitely be trying to mess with supply, the issue right now is my units terrible readiness means they can hardly move.
Oh, then I misread that with Limespring. It has been a while ;)

I would try to invite NTF further into you territory and surround his army. It is way too concentrated with nothing covering his flanks.

It's a bit unfortunate that your road is right on the border.

Reminds me of another MP game you're in.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hmm, quite a situation you are in.

I would be most worried about your northern flank against him. That can get quite close to your important stuff pretty quickly. The southern one is a long way off from anything important.

It's tough to say what I would go for. Heavy RPGs/micro-nuke RPG really do seem a good possibility - those laser guns aren't very effective against infantry.

On the other hand, he seems to have gone mostly for infantry (grenadiers with infantry + MGs + RPGs). Not a single dedicated tank brigade. So you should actually be pretty fine on the defensive. Some massed 60mm howitzer light tanks could actually do quite good against what he has at the moment. Of course, once walkers come online, the situation will change rapidly. However, the first iteration of a model is usually not that good. So it would take some time to actually get really useful ones out for him. And then there is the terrain, which is heavily forested, which again limits tanks but does not limit walkers at all... So you actually are back to relying more on the RPGs.

Your artillery should be a lot better than his once you upgrade to 300mm. He basically only has a single attack more despite theoretically having 50% more firepower. Of course, the actual effectiveness of artillery is no longer in killing anything, but just in reducing readiness, entrenchment, and protecting against bombardments.

I would maybe try just holding on on your eastern flank and just continue to focus on killing Not the Federation and driving through him towards the SHQ on the otherside. The terrain is comparatively open. If you can quickly get some 60mm howitzer light tanks or some 105mm howitzer assault guns or medium tanks up, you might be able to mostly run around his infantry and then kill it. I can't imagine he can afford to build too many useful beam gun walkers that quickly.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oh well.

Artillery is a thousand times better on the defensive than on the offensive, so even just a few pieces here and there should at least soften the blow a lot. As long as he is investing all his production in artillery (and not tanks + walkers), it might give you a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

That morale doesn't look good on your side. I would start raising soldier wages every turn. At this point, you have to hope he screws up his logistics while advancing, giving you some time to get something up that can face his troops.