Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just found this LP, so too late to vote, but could you post the city stats for Montréal? Sorry if I missed them elsewhere in the thread, but it's been occasionally whispered as a possible real-life NBA expansion site it is one of the biggest cities in North America without a team and it's sort of my home town, so I wondered how accueillant it was in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have played 2k18, 2k19 and 2k20 on multiple platforms. I don't get as deep into it as you do (I mostly just play with historical teams or make up gimmick rosters), but this game has a disturbing hard-on for superstars that is even worse than the real-life NBA. Every game I have against a really elite player, like Giannis or Lebron or Jordan, they tee off on me for 15-20 points in the first quarter and then I dial them back for the rest of the game, but they always finish with 40+, always. Granted, when I play with guys like Bird or Magic or Kareem I can really have great games, but I assume that it is parts of 2KS BS marketing that they make elite players ridiculous in the same way that the NBA does by having bad officials grossly favour the most marketable stars, which leads to things like the Dwayne Wade situation you mentioned. I won't be so crass as to mention any myself <cough>Kings/Lakers<cough>

I will say that I like your team-building philosophy, which is to actually build a team, because basketball (both real-life and this game) is way too much about one, at most two, stars and a bunch of who-gives-a-gently caress. Natural result of a game with small teams where stars play both ways and play 2/3-3/4 of every single game. Speaking of that and corollary to the above, I also like how you don't overwork the stars like Bol and make them play 40+ minutes. I tend to play the games and not simulate them, but the fatigue system in this series has been hosed for years.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
VSM, what is your de facto "salary cap", by which I mean how much the game lets you spend on players even if the league imposes no limit? I could very well have missed it, but I don't recall seeing a finances screen. The only other sports management sim that I know well at all is Football Manager, and that game has very sophisticated models with boards who dictate your finances based on revenue and their greed. Just like in real life, small-market teams have no money and the sport is dominated by a few large, rich megabastards, but FM at least allows players to rise through the leagues and build a juggernaut from something as association football is big on teams getting financial rewards from winning tournaments, being televised etc.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I say E or F for some genuinely young players as this team is so deep. I keep having to adjust my expectations as I am used to association football where most players peek very young and basketball is usually 3-4 years later, but even I know that a 4-year college player in the draft (of which there are less and less) is going to be 22 when he declares. Seeing 25-year-old so-called "rookies" is driving me bananas.

I did want to say how warming it is to see Bol... he feels like he's been on this team forever (which he has, but for decades it seems) yet you look and he's only 28. Also, this time used to be run-and-gun with no defence. It has defence now, but the gun is still loaded; this team is teeming (pun intended) with great shooters.

Edit: Extend both Floyd and Wright. I think that the former is overpriced as-is, but being that Billy the Kid is only 27 he still has room to grow.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 1, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guper posted:

Bol is putting the team on his back and I am here for it . Love the way this team has been constructed, ultimate small market still competing and winning against the juggernauts.

Two extra remarkable things about Bol. Firstly, he has to have the best or nearly the best scoring & rebounding (perhaps blocks too) per 36 minutes in the league. VSM doesn't overwork his players in the regular season, and I think the only reason that Bol's numbers aren't MVP-level is because he doesn't play 40 minutes a game like so many other superstars. Secondly, did you notice Bol's 3pt% this past season? I doubt that he takes many, but he sure makes them. Not too surprising as his late father was well above average for a big man in his era.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

JackBandit posted:

Sometimes it bothers me how the stats come out in 2k simulations, especially 3p shooting. Like if a big man shot 8 3s at 45%, the loving world would end. But nope, you have 30 guys every season shooting that well in a 2k season.

I know that the actual NBA is in a high-offence period right now, which sure beats the god-awful 90s, but the scores in this game are ridiculous. We've seen a number of scores that are All-Star game levels during the regular season, so I am not surprised that we have had MVPs scoring 40+ like they were Wilt Chamberlain with the added bonus of 10+ rebounds and assists. I used to get unrealistic scores in regulation-length non-simulated games of 2K18/19/20 and for a while I was playing shorter games, but eventually I found that lowering the game speed both made things more fun for my age-dulled reflexes and also resulted in scores that were more realistic.

My problem is that I shoot a very high percentage, but I turn the ball over too much.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I also would vote for prioritising a defensive stopper, and I actually recommend a conservative approach this off-season in all of the chaos. This team is still young and deep and I am kind of looking forward to the ridiculously over-spending teams getting their payback... not literally, of course, as those tens of millions are gone and those teams are hosed in the short term.

If you do expand, please put a team in Montréal and put the Supersonics back in Seattle, if you have control over that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

1 and 2.) D
I'm with oldskool on this, you need to get a Luka stopper because that's the biggest hole on your entire team right now.

3.) A, relocate them if they continue to suck.
In real-life sports, I hate relocation because it's always either (1) the owner's fault for being so lovely that fans give up or (2) the owner being a greedy rear end in a top hat who just wants a new stadium and is moving because the local government isn't willing to hand out several hundred million dollars of taxpayer money.

But this being a simulation, why not? Let's move the Kings out of their historical struggles in Sacramento and close the circle by moving them to Seattle.

4.) B, add two
Since you have control, I'd be interested in seeing one in Anchorage, Alaska, as the most remote area on the list.

You make a good point about that, Magus, in that it's a game and moving doesn't actually hurt anyone. VSM, what's the composition of the eastern and western conferences right now? One thing that I think should be insisted upon is that both conferences have the same number of teams and, since the last expansion added two western teams, I assume that it is unbalanced 17W/15E, but I don't want to presume.

I wouldn't want to make a team in Anchorage, though... their city stats weren't very good and I feel that they would be at a competitive disadvantage. I don't know if the game models the rigours of travel, but I presume that market size matters given that the two most profligate teams are found in NYC and San Francisco.

Edit: I went back and looked at standings and I noticed that Memphis was moved to the eastern conference, which is entirely sensible, and it's 16W and 16E. I think that it's too early to give up on the Kings (look how Boston turned around), so just expand by one team in each conference. Seattle is by far the best site for a new team according to in-game statistics and Montréal is one of the better 2nd-tier choices. You can always move the Kings to another western city if they continue to be hopeless.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 4, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hope that you aren't planning to add two teams to *each* conference all at once (too much, too soon), but my opinion remains Seattle & Montréal. My second-tier picks would be Baltimore and Cincinnati, but I don't know how that word work out in terms of the East/West split.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hadn't looked at the thread in a few days as I was travelling, but fortunately someone mentioned that the Alouettes are already a thing. I was personally going to say Royals in honour of the late Jackie Robinson, but as an alternative I was going to propose the Montréal Monarchs. Even though the word monarch comes from Latin and is not used in modern French, monarchie is still a word. I would like to propose the Montréal Citadelles, which is perfect for the city and looks a lot like its English counterpart. I have some idea for logos but am not sure the limits of the game. If you call them the Expos or the Nordiques from arch-rival Québec City, I will literally cry. Please keep in mind that Québec city has a population of barely half a million, which isn't a lot for a top-level pro sport.

I actually like all of the Supersonics logos except the last one. I've always enjoyed the bright, lively green-and-yellow kit.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Let us know how badly the Knickerbockers get gutted, because that ridiculous roster of theirs has to be ludicrously expensive and now they can't just outspend the rest of the league. Seriously, that roster looks like something that one would see as one of those teams in 2K games that is all of the best players from the entire history of the franchise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I realise that it's "realistic", but Kagenbele (sp?) deciding to leave a very consistent and successful franchise because he wasn't enough of a special sunflower just loving irritates me. I know that real-life players do this, and it's just as contemptible then. I am bloody sick of multi-millionaires who talk about team and winning and so on, but then leave a golden situation in order to let their balls feel big. I must be missing a selfish gene.

FartingBedpost posted:

So Lebron just... vanished?

He retired, age 39, some in-game years ago. VSM made mention of it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Can you post the final win/loss tables for this year? They were 31-16 at mid-season and I'd like to see how the (slightly-less-than) second half went. Nobody was going to catch the Knicks or even the Pacers for best record and home-court throughout the playoffs, but I am curious nonetheless.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Morbid curiosity... About how are out are you from having no real-life players in the game? I presume that the game does not model any high-potential college players, so I assume 8-10 years?

Edit: Just wanted to share this humorous link that is related to the thread.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 20, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have no opinion on the draft, but absolutely force the expansion that adds the Sonics and les Voyageurs. I was going to ask last in-game year if you could do that, but I didn't want to be pretentious. On that note, can you force other rules changes? I think that the league was too fast-paced before they changed the backcourt rule and shot clock, but now I think that the pendulum has swung the other way.

As for the playoffs, that was mad. If I were a betting man, I would say that the Pelicans would not have advanced without the "timely" injuries to Dallas' two top players. I am torn between the continuation of your rivalry and the novelty of Nola's underdog run. As for the East, that was mad. I've always resented people who act like Golden State's 73-9 was totally invalidated by losing game 7 of the finals, but if this had happened in real life I would have had to agree. I am one of those people who likes a very high degree of parity, both financial and competitive, and doesn't like dynasties in sport. I seem to be in the minority on that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

Nothing pretentious about it.

I meant to say "presumptuous", but regardless I am glad that I did not offend. Also, I had completely forgotten that the thread voted to not override stupid rules changes.

Another question, because this works in Football Manager and other games of that ilk... can you change teams mid-timeline? It's probably fair to call the Honu a dynasty at this point, and I wondered if it would be a fun challenge and uphill battle to take over another expansion team and start over with the team building without starting a new alternate reality.

kirsus posted:

I just don't understand why they'd make it so it deletes the teams that are voted down. The player clearly wants those teams in if the league expands so there doesn't seem any reason to not keep them there aside from incompetence or hatred towards your player base.

I agree. Also, the overall talent level of the league is so high now that they could probably add 4 teams without causing issues. This LP has made me realise that overall rating is, well, overrated, but that notwithstanding the overall quality of players in the league is much higher than the default present-day rosters that ship with the game.

beejay posted:

I was looking forward to a potential Finals matchup against the Knicks, but this was awesome.

I must confess that I am a bit sad that that did not happen, moreso even than not getting another matchup with the Mavericks, but I look greatly forward to the Knicks falling apart. They didn't "cheat" or anything, but it still feels to me like a wonderful story of hubris that is compounded by having such a poor playoff showing. They are going to be greatly diminished this coming season, and then in the season after the wheels are really going to fall off. I was not a fan of the salary cap being removed in the first place; as I said, I am a big believe in as much parity as possible and the only real key to Golden State and New York's success during the capless period was "we are in by far the biggest markets in the league and we can outspend everyone - gently caress you"

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 21, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guper posted:

NBA scrimmages are currently going on and Bol Bol just got his first start. So far in ~7 minutes of play he has 5pts, 2 rebounds, and 3 blocks. So excited to see and hear NBA basketball again, fingers crossed it all works out!

Are they doing empty arenas? I can't remember which sport(s) are doing that, but I've heard it mentioned.

To be honest, I would love to be the only fan in an otherwise empty arena. I stopped going to live sporting events because the crowds, noise and ridiculous prices annoy me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Yes. The NBA is doing a bubble in an isolated area of Disney World. Basically the only people allowed in are ~30 people per team (players, coaches, a few scouts, etc), referees, and a small handful of media members/TV production crews/etc. All of whom were forced to quarantine for a while upon arrival, then stay only at specific hotels reserved exclusively for the NBA, only interacting with each other, not allowed to leave, getting tested daily for Covid, and so forth. Oh, and only 22 of the 30 NBA teams are playing - basically they'd played around 60-ish games when the season was halted back in March, so any teams which were completely out of the playoff race teams were left out of the bubble and at home.

I would have just called the season and maybe given the Bucks a special sticker for having the best record (and player, which helps) in the league, but if they insist on carrying on I suppose that this is the best way to do it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of analysis from outside health experts and the widespread consensus is "it might not end up working out, but the way they're doing the bubble is pretty much the best method available".

Given that strikes-shortened seasons with playoffs are not uncommon, did they say why they didn't just call the season and do the normal 16-team playoff format? That seems the most natural

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

oldskool posted:

more games played = more money made

Ah, yes... the great American tradition of "gently caress personal and social, more money more more more" as seen in literally everything lately.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I have a question about (further) expansion. It could have been cropped, but the screenshot you showed of the new league alignment only had two extra slots accounting for the addition of Montréal and Seattle. Is the league capped at 36 teams total, then? I am curious as I was wondering if, over time, one could expand into all of the cities and have a ridiculously huge league.

Addendum: For what it's worth, I have no objection to you re-aligning the league so that teams make the most sense in their conferences and that everything is of equal size. It drove me nuts years ago when the Atlanta Braves were in the NL West and, in later years, when the Houston Astros were in a 6-team NL central while the AL west had only 4 teams. Granted, since this game does not have the real-life problem of travel fatigue and doesn't even model at is far as I know, I suppose that it doesn't much matter.

Edit: Would it make sense, perhaps, to swap the Wizards and Grizzlies? Memphis is much more "South", both culturally and geographically, than DC. I also think that the Suns make more sense in the Southwestern division.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

The first answer is yes, the game is capped at 36 teams. So I won't be able to have all at once.

As far as the divisions, aside from the expansion teams and the Grizzlies, who I moved, these are the real divisions. So some are in weird places, such as Phoenix not being Southwest, when Phoenix and maybe Albuquerque are what people immediately think of AS the Southwest. I can't rename the divisions. Teams were set up in order to have division teams close to each other. I moved Memphis since it's closer to several central teams than, say, Miami. However, I didn't realize how far Minnesota is from, like, everyone, and should have probably moved them instead.

I will say that in terms of conference it's a very logical setup. Again, this game doesn't implement travel as a feature, and as it stands every Western Conference team is west of the Mississippi and every EC team is east of it. As the Mississippi river is generally considered the sort of natural geographic barrier that separates the eastern US from the western, I have no objection to it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Largepotato posted:

Almost the whole West's form coming into the playoffs is rather ordinary.

I noticed also that the league right now seems very balanced, especially out west. We've seen that even a regular-season juggernaut (i.e. last year's Knicks) can burn out in the playoffs, but no team won 60 games out west and only one team won less than 30 (Seattle @ 29). The Knicks had the best record in the East, but we've talked about that. Baseball has a very poor correlation between regular season performance and playoff success, but basketball's correlation has always been fairly solid. With no Giannis or Luka, I think that this is going to be a competitive and exciting playoffs that will be about staying healthy and depth.

VSM, if ever you wanted to do a playoff rundown that goes into greater depth on each series, this would be it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Would anyone else be keen to discuss the next (and final) two expansion teams? I am not saying that we/he should expand the league right now, or even soon, but I think that it would be a fun diversion. I assumed that the league had no size limit, but now that I know that it's a hard 36 I am kind of keen to think about the next round of expansion. Personally, I think that we should add two teams properly out West and move the T-wolves to the Eastern Conference. Minneapolis is basically dead north of New Orleans and both are west of the Mississippi, but NO is close to a number of other WC teams while Minnesota is not even remotely close to any WC teams but a number of EC ones.

More specifically, I was wondering about the viability of St. Louis for a team. St. Louis has an MLB team, an NHL team, and they ?had? an NFL team, so it seems like a strong market.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

Holy poo poo. How did I never hear of that one.

Anyhow, it's not too early to talk about potential destinations, or about moving teams, or about rebranding teams. I was actually gonna bring up the Clippers.

Does anyone have an era of Clippers they're attached to? Most of their jerseys have been the same for basically ever, but their current floor in game is still celebrating their 50th anniversary, which is asinine. I could move or rebrand them, too, but I am, at minimum, reskinning them.

I actually would approve of the Clippers going back to San Diego with a new coat of paint because, frankly, I think that having two pro teams at least nominally in the same city in the same league is bloody stupid. I realise that they were the Buffalo Braves before then and that Buffalo does have both an NFL and NHL teams, but San Diego makes sense because it's a big market, nearby and they were originally named the Clippers due to the sailing ships in San Diego harbour. While moving is fine, I don't want to add another team in California because there are too bloody many as-is. I actually like St. Louis and Kansas City as new Western teams (obvious rivalry) with Minnesota moving to the East, but I also like the idea of Anchorage, assuming that they can be financially competitive, since this game doesn't model travel fatigue. I must admit that there are a lot more viable locations east of the Mississippi than west of it, but the west is so spread out that I want to make it more dense. All three possible Canadian cities have teams now, so more "northern expansion" isn't possible outside of Alaska. I'm actually disappointed in the options for Canada because, while Toronto, Montréal and Vancouver are in order the three largest population centres in the country, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa are all 1,000,000+ metro areas and could be decent expansion sites.

MagusofStars posted:

St. Louis also had a successful basketball team back in the early days of the NBA, which relocated to the current Atlanta Hawks in the late 60's.

They also had an ABA team for a couple years in the mid-70's, though the most notable thing about the St. Louis ABA team is the :wtf: fact that the NBA agreed to hand them around 2% of the league's annual TV revenues in perpetuity (i.e., forever) to fold their franchise which was already on the verge of bankruptcy. It's generally estimated that the total value of the deal (including the price the NBA eventually paid to get out of it) was somewhere around $800 million dollars over 40 years for, worth repeating, folding a lovely failing franchise in a league that was about to collapse. It's widely considered to be the greatest deal in the history of US professional sports and one of the most incredible business deals ever made in any industry.

I knew that the Hawks were in St. Louis for a while after the war before moving to Atlanta, but I did not know about the ABA team or the deal, which is incredible. Kind of proud of them for pulling off such a con.

Jacques Dominique Wilkins was one of the most forgotten dominant players ever. I've realised that NBA fans are morons and if someone didn't win at least one ring, then everyone assumes that they must be poo poo. Karl Malone was a 2-time MVP and nobody talks about him, but then again modern "fans" do nothing but slobber over MJ and Lebron, so they can't be that smart.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

Regarding the Clippers, I'm on board with moving them back to San Diego and returning their old looks. I mean, the NBA is horrible about making names match the cities (see: Utah Jazz), but Clippers makes a hell of a lot more sense in a naval city like San Diego anyways. And really, LA has never embraced the Clippers the way they do the Lakers (even now, when they're finally successful), so let's make them the pride of San Diego rather than "oh yeah, they also exist" like they are in LA.

I almost put this in my last post, but I will back you on the Utah "Jazz" issue and I say that as someone who loved Malone & Stockton. I actually quite like the name Pelicans, but I would be in favour of returning the Jazz name to New Orleans and calling them the Utah Polygamists or something. I apologise if the piss-take bothers anyone, but I used to live in Mormon country and, as a Jew, that was not a comfortable place to be.

VSM, I also wanted to extend my condolences on you not having a choice regarding Hall of Fame entrants or jersey retirements. I assumed that you could not override rules changes, including expansion, and when I found out otherwise I assumed that retirements and HoF choices were also up to you if you wished to override the in-game decisions. My sympathies.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Largepotato posted:

For the ultimate FU, send the Lakers back to Minneapolis.

Don't send them there, but I would absolutely vote to rename the Minnesota Timberwolves to the Minneapolis Lakers under our "Team names should make loving sense" initiative that could be applied to the Clippers or the Jazz. Keep the team in LA and rename them to something geographically appropriate like the Los Angeles Stars or the Los Angeles Wildfires since California seems to be a constant blaze.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
As much as I have enjoyed this LP, seeing all the bugs in it turned me off of my idea of doing my own personal franchise mode. I was going to either try to lead the Celtics back to dominance or start an expansion in Montréal and see if I can build it into a force, but I have gone off the idea because I don't have VSMs experience to navigate all the bullshit.

What bothers me most is that these are bugs that have, apparently, been around for years and years. If this was the first year for this game mode it would be somewhat forgivable, but it's absolute bollocks as-is. I had thought briefly about having VSM scrupulously document all of the bugs and submit them, but it's clear that the devs know about them and don't give a toss.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Guthix Curnir posted:

Likewise as a programmer, I can easily see that. One of my first two expansion teams hired Henderson. Also did some experimentation, starting a few myLeagues with two expansion teams, and in 98% of them, one of the two teams hired a head coach with the same Henderson-Terrible playstyle. In only one instance did both new teams have a coach that didn't fit this mold.

My guess is that there are only a small variety of GM builds for expansion teams, and that one of them absolutely has to have a coach that will work the starting five and only the starting five. You can probably fire Jeremy this year and replace him, but Vancouver's GM will try and hire another coach that fits their mold at the first opportunity.

I also used to be a (bad) programmer, but given that a lot of these issues have been around for years I am unsympathetic while disappointed that fan-made solutions have not cropped up. 2K doesn't change that much from year to year in recent iterations and the problems are not only ongoing but well-documented in this the age of digital distribution and patching. In the case of a tiny indy studio I would be more forgiving, but Visual Concepts has half a dozen studios and over 300 employees. My presumption is that they don't give a toss about franchise because they want to focus on the cash-grab parts. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that this game was published by EA for Activision, and I'm frankly a bit surprised that they don't charge micropayments for classic teams.

VSM, for what it's worth you have my permission to do whatever you need to do to unjank this tangled nonsense.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The only way that Overall seems to be accurate in this simulation is that the two highest-rated players in the league in this timeline, Doncic and Giannis, have been by far the most dominant. Other than that, well, you've taught me how better to evaluate talent. Keep in mind, though, that there are a lot more 80-something rated players in this simulation then there are in the default rosters - that's why we've expanded so aggressively. Mid-80s has become basically a standard for a mature starter in this league, while mid-70s is more of the baseline with the starting rosters.

As for the trades, I don't have the knowledge to evaluate them all so I won't vote, but part of me is interested in a rebuild just for the narrative aspects. I am sad to see Cisse go, though you are correct in that he is grossly overpaid (moreso than the usual prominent big-sport athlete). That said, and I know that it won't happen, I would love to see Bol retire a a lifetime Honu. I also hope that real-life Bol Bol he doesn't have the same health problems due to height that his late father did.

It saddens me somewhat that making teams that are consistently strong (not dominant, but competitive) is basically gone in modern sport. Teams like the Jazz from the 80s to the late 90s where they were top-10 every year are basically a thing of the past, and modern baseball is absolutely rife with god-awful teams like the Tigers and Orioles that aren't even trying to be competitive.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

I intend to keep Bol around unless he goes completely nuts on contract value. Even declining, he's still putting up pretty bonkers numbers like that line against the Mavericks. Cisse's definitely overpaid, but I still wouldn't say "grossly" overpaid. I expected him to start to get more assists, as I added more scorers to the team. Instead, he kept trying to be ball-dominant in a bit of a "too many cooks" situation. Since Bol was injured for so long, Cisse is actually our best player this year by EWA, and second behind Bol by PER (which does not account for players playing less games---small sample size can see players hit a "clearly not correct" PER of 150-300 sometimes.) He's averaging about 16 points, 2 rebounds, and 4 and a half assists, plus a steal. He's on pace for his third consecutive 50/40/90 season, and nearly tying his per game averages from his best season before the Shot Clock got extended. This is less than two points per game less than Bol, who is averaging 17.6/8.5/1 with a block.

Hmm. In the future, when I post updates, I'm going to include stat lines, because that will probably give people a lot more insight into what's actually going on. That's my fault.

I don't understand a lot of the advanced, modern stats and I still overvalue Overall Rating too much, so I probably should shut up. Putting aside the fact that no human being should make that kind of money, when I see that kind of salary I assume that it should be attached to a generation-defining player like a Giannis, Luka etc.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Do you attribute the fact that both of the most recent expansion teams have #1 playoff seeds due to actual good AI decision making or pure freak chance?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I think that you should try and trade up to get Hakeem Mk 2. Bol2 is getting on in years and this new chap is perfectly timed to replace him. I don't think that even the AI in this game will be foolish enough to let him drop to #3. You may have more needs to fill than I am aware of, though, and you would probably have to give up your #3 pick and one other 1st rounder.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I think that paying that much for any player other than a generation-defining player like a Doncic or Giannis is ridiculous, but given that it's resign rights and doesn't impact your salary cap to the tune of 35 million it is probably a good idea.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm a bit gobsmacked by how much parity is in the league as well. Basketball is ludicrously prone to dynasties, and the fact that the team with the highest winning percentage in the league is only on pace for 55.76 wins just blows my mind. I somehow got it into my head that a #1 seed had to have 60+ wins or it just wasn't that good.

VSM, what stats/ratings do you most use for evaluating talent in this game? I am terrible with advanced stats and their significance (I am better with baseball's) and I know nothing about tendencies as I tend to play every game myself, so please enlighten me. You have proven that OVR means gently caress all apart from perhaps players with a 95+, so I am all ears/eyes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Wow, this must be a slow-paced league now if the MVP only averaged 18+ points per game. Who led the league in scoring?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
2K20 is on super sale (about $5) on Switch and PS4... any appreciable difference? I don't see a reason to get the PS4 version unless the Switch version is somehow inferior.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Who was Torres' backup during the season? He couldn't have played 48 minutes every night, but you didn't seem to have anyone to replace him when he was hurt.

Also, the Garland story was incredible. One couldn't write a better story than a guy who is coming to the end of a fine career without a ring, finds his team down 3-2 in the finals and then goes off for 30 points in the last two games to win it all. Bloody brilliant.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Veryslightlymad posted:

Dear god, I am still finding players floating around the league that are mysteriously free of aging. What the gently caress is wrong with this idiot game.

Incidentally, these monstrous assholes are going ahead and releasing NBA2k21 on schedule, even though the 2020 season isn't over yet and there hasn't been an off-season. They have a perfect opportunity to fix their loving game, but they're instead doing the dumbest, most evil, greediest piece of poo poo thing possible. Whoever is in charge of the game's development cycle should be buried alive.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
One would think that the Spurs would place quite a lot of stock on anyone named Duncan