Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Can't travel. Will post.

edit: The Nordics, too.

SCANDINAVIAN COUNTRIES:

Press Play For 'Cliff' Ambiance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqKVvaCN5M8

FAROE ISLANDS:

SEACLIFFS, VESTMANNA, STREYMOY, FAROE ISLANDS:

SHED, FAROE ISLANDS:

ASSORTED HOUSES, FAROE ISLANDS:

WATERFALL, FAROE ISLANDS:

Faroe Islands' cliff game is very strong.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

It's places like this that make me realize... god, I'm trash. My home is trash.

Now look at this cliff, drat

NORTHERN COAST, EYSTUROY, FAROE ISLANDS:

Pictured right, Risin og Kellingin:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Not surprisingly, more than 3.5 million saunas exist across Finland -- a country of just under 5.5 million people.

They build them anywhere and everywhere: from houses and apartments to offices, boats and even the forest.

Heck, even the national parliament has sauna facilities.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/helsinki-finnish-sauna-guide/index.html

Map of every public sauna in Finland:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

What? Thats a great deal, the hospital didn't even charge them to hold the baby.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hearing reports from Swedes that Denmark isn't really part of Scandinavia and can be better described as the prison where they send all the wannabes who can't speak Swedish properly to live. Is this true, can I get a free pass to live in Denmark if I simply cannot speak swedish properly?

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
All these pictures make me wanna kill Christians and take their stuff

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I did a study abroad program in Norway for my last year of college and the biggest regret of my life is coming back home to stupid loving New Jersey. I went there because I love big titty blondes and Tarjei Vesaas books.

Everyone there was beautiful, and the landscapes were beautiful, and people seemed so laid back and about their own business. I know they have a reputation for being cold and distant, but being from NJ I'm all HEY WHATS UP MAN and they were mostly down with it. The food sucks though except they have really good hot dogs and Litago chocolate milk. I would hang out at this punk anarchist house and play chess and smoke hash all night with really interesting people. I miss it.

I also went camping in some random spot 4 hours north of Oslo without really checking the weather and almost froze to death overnight like the dipshit American I am.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4gesNsDDI

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
i wanted smörgĺstĺrta for my birthday rather than sweet normal cake when i turned 9. it ownzz

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i would absolutely love to stop in iceland if i ever go to spain or portugal

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dude hell yeah you could hike the whole country naked in the winter. :haibrow:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Dude hell yeah you could hike the whole country naked in the winter. :haibrow:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

i would absolutely love to stop in iceland if i ever go to spain or portugal

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

i thought greenland was icy and iceland was greeny

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

i thought greenland was icy and iceland was greeny

:colbert:

ICELAND:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Nicey Icey.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I kid, Iceland's actually very nice.

Beautiful waterfalls!

Hirsute horses!

Mossy lava fields!

Beautiful sexy things!

Battling horses!

Roadside "sausage coffins!"

It has everything but healthy topsoil and more than 10 buildings over 100' tall.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

It has everything but healthy topsoil

Or forests. Iceland is terrible at forests.

I think the early people cut them all down for boats and houses and firewood and then were like... Crap. The soil goes down a couple inches here. This might take a bit to fix.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
THRIDRANGAR LIGHTHOUSE, ICELAND:

Alternate Angle:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

The Butcher posted:

Or forests. Iceland is terrible at forests.

I think the early people cut them all down for boats and houses and firewood and then were like... Crap. The soil goes down a couple inches here. This might take a bit to fix.

Ha, yeah. But the good news is that they're replanting. ~2% of Iceland's now forested and their target is 12% by 2100.

quote:

One thousand years ago, upon the then recent settlement of Norsemen to Iceland, approximately 40% of the countryside was forested. Today, the island is most widely known for its starkly beautiful, yet treeless landscape. What went so wrong in those intervening 1000 years?

But how did Iceland’s forests disappear in little under three hundred years? The answer lies, of course, with the people who moved here. [...]

[...] the settlers needed every resource they could get their hands on.

Another important reason to clear the forests was the need to utilise the land for agriculture. Having imported a number of different types of livestock—livestock that would later hinder the forest’s regrowth through their constant grazing—farmers were forever pushing to create more room, and thus more resources for themselves and their operation.

Later research has uncovered that this was an intentional economic strategy on part of the settlers who realised it was essential to strengthen their local, animal husbandry industries. There was still no way, however, that the early settlers could have had any real comprehension of the environmental damage that was being done, not to mention the many years of repair afforestation would take.

One of the Iceland Forest Service’s major ambitions is to have afforested 12% of the country by the year 2100. Currently, Icelanders plant approximately three million seeds a year, though the Forest Service is looking for this to improve with further, all-round education.

https://guidetoiceland.is/nature-info/the-forests-of-iceland

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Fun Fact: One does mow a grass roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKOGKS9_4a4&t=150s

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Accretionist posted:

Alternate Angle:

That's automated yes?

How do you get food there? Or internet?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

Ha, yeah. But the good news is that they're replanting. ~2% of Iceland's now forested and their target is 12% by 2100.

That's just awesome. Literally doing the "a society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." ţing except probably not old men, just very stinky students and hippies. But the old men are paying them! Everybody wins.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Cyril Sneer posted:

That's automated yes?

How do you get food there? Or internet?

:black101:

quote:

Project director Árni G. Ţórarinsson described in an interview how it was [built in 1939]:

“The first thing we had to do was create a road up to the cliff. We got together of experienced mountaineers, all from the Westman Islands. Then we brought drills, hammers, chains and clamps to secure the chains. Once they got near the top there was no way to get any grip on the rock so one of them got down on his knees, the second stood on his back, and then the third climbed on top of the other two and was able to reach the nib of the cliff above. I cannot even tell you how I was feeling whilst witnessing this incredibly dangerous procedure.”

Fast forward to the present, a helipad is used to drop off the coast guard but back in the days, the poor guy assigned to the lighthouse had to sail to the cliff and scale the rocks to reach it.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i bet that guy has better broadband than most of us

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

r u ready to WALK posted:

i bet that guy has better broadband than most of us

As a Scandinavian I think he probably doesn't even have broadband.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 13, 2020

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Accretionist posted:

This is the best lighthouse in the world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randarkman posted:

As a Scandinavian I think he probably doesn't even have broadband.

Bluetooth?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Who doesn't love 10 meter tall chrome moose statues?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Southern Sweden looks very different from what you might imagine when you think "Scandinavia". These are all within an hour drive or so from where I live:

The beaches are mostly sandy, like in Denmark, not the stony archipelagos further north. There are some pretty decent surfing spots due to strong winds and relatively warm climate.

It's a real breadbasket, with some of the most fertile earth in the world. In spring everything is golden yellow like this, due to the huge number of rapeseed fields.

If we go a bit north instead, you get to where this agricultural environment start to meet the deep forests. This is from the Söderĺsen nature preserve, a popular hiking area.

To the east are the rolling hills of Österlen, which is pretty much The Shire. It's full of retired upper middle class people from Stockholm and a mix of amateur and professional artists (who also often happens to be retired upper middle class people from Stockholm).

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loB0kmz_0MM

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Denmark flat as gently caress but we still got some nice stuff

(Note: One of the highest places in Denmark, we call it the sky/heaven mountain)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

i found the article that all the english ones are citing, google translate did enough for me

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=is&u=https://www.mbl.is/greinasafn/grein/1301113/&prev=search

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh god my dad has apparently already done this. :boehner:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Scandinavia seems very nice, I'd like to go there someday. Also, I didn't know that Fabio Lanzoni had moved there

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Oh god my dad has apparently already done this. :boehner:

this post raises a lot of questions in my mind.

well not that many, I suppose, but they're pointed questions and they're unpleasant ones.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

About 15 mins walk from our house, south east Sweden.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Scandinavia seems very nice, I'd like to go there someday. Also, I didn't know that Fabio Lanzoni had moved there

Iceland's like horse shangri-la

https://i.imgur.com/y5dy2Pr.gifv

quote:

The horse, therefore, holds a very special place in the people's hearts and souls, and if you ever have the honour of meeting a member of its species, you'll immediately understand why. Notably more curious, intelligent and independent than other horse breeds, the Icelandic horse is loved by all.

The horse is subsequently undaunted by high winds and snowstorms and capable of feats like wading glacial rivers and crossing rough terrains.

In 982 AD, the Icelandic parliament Alţingi passed laws that prohibited any importation of other horse breeds into the country, meaning that for over a thousand years, the breed has been kept in complete isolation within the island.

Consequently, it is one of the purest horse breeds in the world. Although individual animals may be exported, once gone, they may never return.

Great care has since been put into protecting the stock, and as a result, it is exceptionally healthy and long-lived. The average animal might live for up to 40 years, with the oldest reportedly reaching the ripe old age of 59.

According to Grágás, the first Icelandic book of laws, stealing someone's horse was punishable by banishment and convicted horse thieves were outlawed. During the Viking Age in Iceland, all outlaws could be legally killed on sight, which is telling of the fact that you simply don't steal someone's horse.

https://guidetoiceland.is/nature-info/the-icelandic-horse-a-comprehensive-guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
ASSORTED LOCATIONS, ICELAND: