Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
For those of you who are Americans and dream of a Scandinavian paradise of free healthcare (trick is to just not make very much money) and 8 months of winter (we just got three inches of snow yesterday) you could consider moving to Vermont. It's just as white and the accents in the rural areas can be very hard to understand. Also my ex who grew up here skied to middle school in the 80s, Im sure there are places here they still do that. It's America tho so you'll have to build yr own sauna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

scandinavia is norway, sweden and denmark. why all this talk about iceland?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tankakern posted:

scandinavia is norway, sweden and denmark. why all this talk about iceland?

Mission creep.

(I mixed up Scandinavia and the Nordics.)

GREENLAND WITHOUT ICE:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Scandinavia did social distancing before it was cool:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Who parties the hardest?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A cold people

naem
May 29, 2011

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JolqmmMk0

utvisa mig inte

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYBkDxao3wg

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Double posting but it isn’t horrible here, just different and comedically awkward at times. I’ve got much more here that I’ve done for myself in four years, than the 20+ in the US, and it’s one of the few things I’m proud of. I would not be living the same lifestyle back in the states as I do here. The fact that my meds cost maybe under 7 bucks a month give or take, and my abortion was a backbreaking 80 dollars when converted is a very convincing argument to start my coffee chugging, Saturday candy lifestyle. Sweden is flawed, but these are flaws I can kvetch safely about.

plus I pass a runestone doing my weekly groceries that is older than the town I grew up in by centuries. If you don’t think that isn’t the coolest poo poo, get outta here.

E: Smörgåstårtor är jävla äckliga, fy fan.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 14, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I live in a very dry, very hot, very flat part of the world, and some corner of my soul wants nothing more than to live in one of those crazy turf-roofed cottages and walk around that middle-earth-looking waterfall. Can that be arranged? Thanks in advance.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Iceland and Ireland only have one letter different in their names. What do you have to say to this?

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Tree Bucket posted:

I live in a very dry, very hot, very flat part of the world, and some corner of my soul wants nothing more than to live in one of those crazy turf-roofed cottages and walk around that middle-earth-looking waterfall. Can that be arranged? Thanks in advance.

I live in northeast Scotland and I would swap with you in an instant.

e: pm me bb x

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

E: Smörgåstårtor är jävla äckliga, fy fan.

M-Mods?!?!?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

teen witch posted:

plus I pass a runestone doing my weekly groceries that is older than the town I grew up in by centuries. If you don’t think that isn’t the coolest poo poo, get outta here.

That's kind of out of the ordinary. Most towns in Scandinavia, at least Norway, and I think Sweden as well, are not very old, like less than a hundred years typically in terms of the town center buildings and such, and a great many of those are pretty ugly.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
In Sweden, any buried runestones discovered during construction are stood up and given a plaque with a description.
So it is quite common to see them around in new suburbs.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
My hometown has some runes that are ancient but the actual town wasn't founded until like 1900, before that it was just a handful of farms.

So pretty much everything you see built there is less than 100 years old.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Here's some pictures from where I grew up in Norway. Not that many nature pictures because although it generally looks nice, it's a somewhat pretty green valley with trees and crap and not terribly distinct like you'll probably come to expect from threads like this. Also I had to google pics. It's not far from what much of the Norwegian south east looks like in general. Valleys and hills and forests. Nice agricultral land, relatively high population density.

It's Lier, a municpality of about 30 000 people in between Drammen and the Oslo metropolitan area essentially. It's one of the most productive agricultural areas in the country and one information poster I once read while taking a walk boasted of the municality being responisble for about 1/3 of all Norwegian vegetable production. Primary products is strawberries, apples, grain, livestock and cabbage, lots of cabbage (seriously all of it smells like fart during late summer/autumn IIRC). There'sa whole lot of greenhouses there, so many in fact that the lights from these means that there is more light pollution in Lier at night than in Drammen (a medium-large city by Norwegian standards) and large parts of Oslo.

Here's a rather unflattering picture of the town hall building in the "city" center. Next picture is the old schoolhouse, which, when I grew up, was known as "Rockeverkstedet" ("Rock and Roll-workshop") and was where you went to play Doom and Castle Wolfenstein and practice your terrible music or other stuff like that. Probably still does the same thing, also hosts a rather unassuming skate park. The second story floor was rotted and unsafe. Various organizations and such would also meet here. Third picture shows "Liertoppen" Norway's longest shopping mall.

Here's some more interesting things. First is a a statue of a US civil war officer, out by the old town council house (which is a pretty nice building and located on a little hill/meadow, but I couldn't find a picture). The officer in question is Col. Hans Christian Heeg (there's a small area named "Hegg" now, incuding a nearby elementary school, likely where the name came from), whose family emigrated to the US, where he became poitically and religiously active as an abolitionist and fought for the Union, leading a regiment of Wisconsin volunteers (mostly Scandinavian immigrants) until he was killed in 1863 at the battle of Chickamauga. The statue is a copy of an original by Wisconsins state capitol building I think. The other picture is Gurdwara Shri Guru Nanak Niwas, which is northern Europe's largest Sikh temple, it caused some controversy as it was being built as a sign of "sneak Islamization" and because locals would be kept up by prayer calls, you know the usual thing.

Here's some pictures of the old mental hospital, which I think has sadly now been demolished. This place was quite infamous, back in the day it was known as one of the sketchier mental hospitals in Norway and more lobotomies were carried out at this place than any other in the country IIRC (Norway was a big-time supporter of lobotomization as treatment for mental health issues back in the day), and also for supposedly having performed several controversial and unethical experimental treatments on patients in later years. The place shut down in 1985 (new buildings were constructed, maybe to try to shed the infamy I dunno). But sort of remained standing as is, literally looking like a horror movie location. Exploring it was pretty popular, though spooky if you were a child or teenager (I went when I was in junior high school, whcih was like literally 200 meters away, older kids would always try to hide and jump out to scare the poo poo out of you), but there were always concerns raised because drug addicts and such squatted and took drugs there.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

kimihia posted:

Iceland and Ireland only have one letter different in their names. What do you have to say to this?

Ísland
Éire

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

kimihia posted:

WORKS:
  • Iceland Bestland
  • Iceland? More like Niceland!

FAILS:
  • Ireland Shireland
  • Ireland? More like Nireland

Randarkman posted:

Here's some pictures from where I grew up in Norway.

Owns.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There actually is sort of a relation between Ireland and Iceland. First of all it's believed that there were a couple of Irish monasteries there before the Scandinavians came, those guys were all killed and driven off. Secondly the original Scandinavian colonists were sort of the early Middle Ages Norway equivalent of sovereign citizens or something, and wanted to get as far away from royal power as possible. They were also pretty almost exclusively male. Women came as slaves, as farm laborers and as concubines, mostly from Ireland, and I think even today this is evident in Icelandic genetics which has about as much in common with British Celtic areas as Scandinavia.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Randarkman posted:

That's kind of out of the ordinary. Most towns in Scandinavia, at least Norway, and I think Sweden as well, are not very old, like less than a hundred years typically in terms of the town center buildings and such, and a great many of those are pretty ugly.

My neighborhood in Eskilstuna is hella miljöprogrammet, but there are a lot of commercial buildings here that are old as hell.

The one I mentioned I believe is the one in Årbyskogen, pissing distance from E20. Rough google and it seems that there’s way more than I had imagined albeit within range of a church which, lol, bet there’s a v specific reason for it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

teen witch posted:

The one I mentioned I believe is the one in Årbyskogen, pissing distance from E20. Rough google and it seems that there’s way more than I had imagined albeit within range of a church which, lol, bet there’s a v specific reason for it.

What reason would that be? Runes aren't necessarily pagan and continued to be used well into the 14th and 15th centuries (at the leat). It's important to remember that the runes were never really the foundation of a literate culture, they were used to designate property, ownership, craftsmanship, commemorate ancestors and such, they were essentially a type of writing inspired by the Latin alphabet adapted to be carved in stone or on wood by ancient Germanic peoples because, although not a literate society they did recognize the usefulness of letters and writing for these purposes.

You also wouldn't necessarily know it from the present, but Scandinavia, especially Norway, historically had a very strong evangelical Christian tradition.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 14, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Many runestones were re-purposed as building material for churches in the middle ages, so a lot of old churches have runestones nearby that were found in the church walls or stairs or all kinds of places, during renovations and stuff.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mooey Cow posted:

Many runestones were re-purposed as building material for churches in the middle ages, so a lot of old churches have runestones nearby that were found in the church walls or stairs or all kinds of places, during renovations and stuff.

Ah, well that makes sense. Is this mostly a Swedish thing maybe? I'm no great expert on Scandinavian churches, but with a couple of exceptions* (mostly in the cities) Norwegian ones are almost all wooden. Which means they mostly aren't very old. Though you do have the old stave churches (though a few of those are actually modern, there was this one rich guy in Hallingdal who really just wanted to design and build them, so I think a couple around there are like that for example).

*drat, I initially wrote "examples", it was supposed to be "exceptions".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 14, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

Ah, well that makes sense. Is this mostly a Swedish thing maybe? I'm no great expert on Scandinavian churches, but with a couple of examples (mostly in the cities) Norwegian ones are almost all wooden. Which means they mostly aren't very old. Though you do have the old stave churches (though a few of those are actually modern, there was this one rich guy in Hallingdal who really just wanted to design and build them, so I think a couple around there are like that for example).

Could be. Many of the most well-known runestones in Sweden were found in churches, including the most famous one, the Rök stone. Back home I don't think there's a single church that didn't turn out to have at least one runestone in it.

Like this big one that has cool pictures:

woop
Mar 25, 2006
wooooooooop
Isn't there a day where they burn churches. Some metal band started it I think

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mooey Cow posted:

Could be. Many of the most well-known runestones in Sweden were found in churches, including the most famous one, the Rök stone. Back home I don't think there's a single church that didn't turn out to have at least one runestone in it.

Like this big one that has cool pictures:

God dude those ancient guys couldn’t draw for crap lol. :v:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

God dude those ancient guys couldn’t draw for crap lol. :v:

Neither can modern people

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Sweden has the largest scale model of the solar system which is pretty cool:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_Solar_System
Someone vandalised Uranus.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

There's a archaeological open-air museum called Land of Legends in Lejre, Denmark, which has some pretty neat reconstructions, like an Iron Age village and a sacrificial bog.

Watching those horse skins sway in the wind in absolute silence did wonders to instill a sense of dread and/or presence of old gods when you visited on school trips.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

hey buddy they dont even let me gently caress it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Peanut Butter posted:

I live in northeast Scotland and I would swap with you in an instant.

e: pm me bb x

Even scotland is better than hot flat deserts

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Here's some pictures from where I grew up in Norway. Not that many nature pictures because although it generally looks nice, it's a somewhat pretty green valley with trees and crap and not terribly distinct like you'll probably come to expect from threads like this. Also I had to google pics. It's not far from what much of the Norwegian south east looks like in general. Valleys and hills and forests. Nice agricultral land, relatively high population density.

It's Lier, a municpality of about 30 000 people in between Drammen and the Oslo metropolitan area essentially. It's one of the most productive agricultural areas in the country and one information poster I once read while taking a walk boasted of the municality being responisble for about 1/3 of all Norwegian vegetable production. Primary products is strawberries, apples, grain, livestock and cabbage, lots of cabbage (seriously all of it smells like fart during late summer/autumn IIRC). There'sa whole lot of greenhouses there, so many in fact that the lights from these means that there is more light pollution in Lier at night than in Drammen (a medium-large city by Norwegian standards) and large parts of Oslo.

Here's a rather unflattering picture of the town hall building in the "city" center. Next picture is the old schoolhouse, which, when I grew up, was known as "Rockeverkstedet" ("Rock and Roll-workshop") and was where you went to play Doom and Castle Wolfenstein and practice your terrible music or other stuff like that. Probably still does the same thing, also hosts a rather unassuming skate park. The second story floor was rotted and unsafe. Various organizations and such would also meet here. Third picture shows "Liertoppen" Norway's longest shopping mall.

Here's some more interesting things. First is a a statue of a US civil war officer, out by the old town council house (which is a pretty nice building and located on a little hill/meadow, but I couldn't find a picture). The officer in question is Col. Hans Christian Heeg (there's a small area named "Hegg" now, incuding a nearby elementary school, likely where the name came from), whose family emigrated to the US, where he became poitically and religiously active as an abolitionist and fought for the Union, leading a regiment of Wisconsin volunteers (mostly Scandinavian immigrants) until he was killed in 1863 at the battle of Chickamauga. The statue is a copy of an original by Wisconsins state capitol building I think. The other picture is Gurdwara Shri Guru Nanak Niwas, which is northern Europe's largest Sikh temple, it caused some controversy as it was being built as a sign of "sneak Islamization" and because locals would be kept up by prayer calls, you know the usual thing.

Here's some pictures of the old mental hospital, which I think has sadly now been demolished. This place was quite infamous, back in the day it was known as one of the sketchier mental hospitals in Norway and more lobotomies were carried out at this place than any other in the country IIRC (Norway was a big-time supporter of lobotomization as treatment for mental health issues back in the day), and also for supposedly having performed several controversial and unethical experimental treatments on patients in later years. The place shut down in 1985 (new buildings were constructed, maybe to try to shed the infamy I dunno). But sort of remained standing as is, literally looking like a horror movie location. Exploring it was pretty popular, though spooky if you were a child or teenager (I went when I was in junior high school, whcih was like literally 200 meters away, older kids would always try to hide and jump out to scare the poo poo out of you), but there were always concerns raised because drug addicts and such squatted and took drugs there.

Thank u for this post

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Stave churches rule

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

... and a sacrificial bog.

Couldn't figure that one out till now

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

my ice blood craves 8 months of winter

even canada is too warm for me :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

hard counter posted:

my ice blood craves 8 months of winter

even canada is too warm for me :smith:

I've been to Canada. It is muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch colder than Norway.