Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Axiom Team Grey plots here

Current members:

Maigius
PMush Perfect
SoftNum
EasilyConfused

No peeking in the observer or Orange thread!

Rules reminder:

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's a brief summary of the rules, and some examples in a video I made:

:siren: There's a rules gently caress-up in the video, let's consider it my personal variant of the lateral move. Read the rules below for the actual picture.

There's also a player's aid card pdf on Axiom website, but it's different in wording to the player's aid card you see in the video :psyduck:

And then there's the rulebook with yet another version.

Bsically:

TECHNICAL

For notation, we're keeping the cardinal directions on the mat, and I'm labelling every piece.
So, for a move you'll specify the piece you move, the target cube, and the facing/rotation if necessary.

The first turn is yours, working from the starting position. Let's try 24 hours per move or earlier if the team agrees on one option.

(_) means the cube is free to move.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I think a good first move would be to move G5 somewhere, maybe connecting to G1 or G3, to open up the board a bit.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm assuming diagonals can't wrap like laterals. (Because that would make GZ -> O6 a winning move)

G5 -> O6 seems like a decent open? IDK

EDIT: SelenicMartian, can we establish that if time is up and no formal decision is made just take the last legal move suggested in the thread? Just to avoid stalling out? Is the rest of the team OK with that?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think we might be better moving G5 somewhere that isn’t so easy to eliminate. I wanna try a tactic of eliminating and cutting off cubes.

Edit: An extremely aggressive move might be GY O5? Then no matter their move we’ll have another orange cube to jump onto, capturing one and being in position to take another.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 13, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SoftNum posted:

G5 -> O6 seems like a decent open? IDK
No hanging cubes up in the air. They're not strong enough to magnet each other.

SoftNum posted:

Is the rest of the team OK with that?
Well, are they?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I think we might be better moving G5 somewhere that isn’t so easy to eliminate. I wanna try a tactic of eliminating and cutting off cubes.

Edit: An extremely aggressive move might be GY O5? Then no matter their move we’ll have another orange cube to jump onto, capturing one and being in position to take another.

I'm down with this as our open.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I'm down with this as our open.

I'm down for GY O5 as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Now it's over to Orange.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What are their options here? They could try to mirror us and grab G5, in which case we control the pace of the whole game. There's no cubes they can move, so I think we've forced them to mimic us, or else to put us in position for an easy win? IDK. OY -> O1 would be an option, an attempt to bait us into capturing O4 and losing on the moveback?

Edit: OZ -> G4 would be interesting. We'd have to be careful about how we respond to keep in position but also keep them from decimating our cubes.

SoftNum posted:

EDIT: SelenicMartian, can we establish that if time is up and no formal decision is made just take the last legal move suggested in the thread? Just to avoid stalling out? Is the rest of the team OK with that?
I'm okay with this.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 13, 2020

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I'm OK with this as well.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Maigius posted:

I'm OK with this as well.

Same (I joined after turn 1)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: OZ -> G4 would be interesting. We'd have to be careful about how we respond to keep in position but also keep them from decimating our cubes.

That's what I would do if I were them (with my extremely limited understanding of the game)

Edit: If they moved to G4 West, they would threaten GZ.

Edit 2: Oh wait, then we'd just win next turn, never mind.

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 14, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

That's what I would do if I were them (with my extremely limited understanding of the game)

Edit: If they moved to G4 West, they would threaten GZ.

Edit 2: Oh wait, then we'd just win next turn, never mind.

We should be able to respond O6 if they move G4. O4 should have a knob on it preventing traversal.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This is the answer you were expecting, right?

OZ -> G1

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

GZ-G4 blocks capture (if capture is even legal for the bottom row) No that's a stupid idea. GY O6 caps but there's the cap back I guess.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 14, 2020

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I need to check the set up video again when I'm off work, but if we moved G4 to somewhere else, me should be able to strand OZ.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The rules aid card has the starting position on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Quote is not edit

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 14, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

WAIT. G5 onto G4’s north face strands OY AND protects G4 from being captured. You can’t capture a cube that’s underneath another cube!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

WAIT. G5 onto G4’s north face
Cubes can't float.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Cubes can't float.

gently caress.

Okay, G4 onto G5 then?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

gently caress.

Okay, G4 onto G5 then?

I agree that's probably the best play for moving G4. Can also move GY on to it to be even more annoying next turn.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maigius posted:

I agree that's probably the best play for moving G4. Can also move GY on to it to be even more annoying next turn.
If we move GY onto G4, they win next turn.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

If we move GY onto G4, they win next turn.

I meant moving GY onto the G4, G5, G2 stack next turn, after moving G4 into G5.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maigius posted:

I meant moving GY onto the G4, G5, G2 stack next turn, after moving G4 into G5.
Oh! Okay, yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Still dangerous, but it could be funny.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
If we move G4 to G5, can't they just move OZ to O6 to eliminate G1? Lateral moves aren't limited to the same plane.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

If we move G4 to G5, can't they just move OZ to O6 to eliminate G1? Lateral moves aren't limited to the same plane.

OZ would still need to move over the dome on the top of G1 in order to make that move, and would be blocked.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No, no, EC is right. I think we need to decide if we're going for cubes or positioning here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, we've got a bit over twelve hours, but G4 -> G5 is our current default until we come up with something better?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PMush Perfect posted:

So, we've got a bit over twelve hours, but G4 -> G5 is our current default until we come up with something better?

Yeah, even if they do eliminate G1, we can move GY to G4 to eliminate O5.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, is the majority for the G4 -> G5?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Yes

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, G4 is in place, dome down.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

They basically have to move O6 at this point right? Anywhere they can move OY I think we can win.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh right there’s a DOME under that cube. :kheldragar:

Edit: Yep! They HAVE to move O6 now or it’s game. O6 onto G1 frees their pawn, so that might be the play.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 15, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh right there’s a DOME under that cube. :kheldragar:

Edit: Yep! They HAVE to move O6 now or it’s game. O6 onto G1 frees their pawn, so that might be the play.

So O6 -> G1 we can GY -> G5 which will force the OZ pawn to stay put again (it it moves onto O6 cube then we can always necessarily win) I think it forces a move of GY.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Technically they could safely move OY to O1, but I can't imagine they'd want to get both their scepters trapped.

Do we know where the dome on O3 is? I assume it's pointed up.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

SoftNum posted:

So O6 -> G1 we can GY -> G5 which will force the OZ pawn to stay put again (it it moves onto O6 cube then we can always necessarily win) I think it forces a move of GY.

Plus it kills O5.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

Technically they could safely move OY to O1, but I can't imagine they'd want to get both their scepters trapped.

The domes on O3 should be pointing at O2 and O6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

O3 dome is up.

e: f;b