Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Axiom Team Orange plots here

Current members:

oldskool
Big Scary Owl
Kangra
oscarthewilde

No peeking in the observer or Grey thread!

Rules reminder:

SelenicMartian posted:

Here's a brief summary of the rules, and some examples in a video I made:

:siren: There's a rules gently caress-up in the video, let's consider it my personal variant of the lateral move. Read the rules below for the actual picture.

There's also a player's aid card pdf on Axiom website, but it's different in wording to the player's aid card you see in the video :psyduck:

And then there's the rulebook with yet another version.

Bsically:

TECHNICAL

For notation, we're keeping the cardinal directions on the mat, and I'm labelling every piece.
So, for a move you'll specify the piece you move, the target cube, and the facing/rotation if necessary.

The first turn is Grey's, working from the starting position. We'll try 24 hours per move or earlier if a team agrees on one option.

(_) means the cube is free to move.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
First, we'll take the cubes... THEN THE WORLD!!!!!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Team Grey's made a move!

GY -> O5

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I think we should move one of ours into the position that grey one was in before, so they can't take one of our blocks away from us! Or something I dunno

Assemble team orange!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

OZ OZ OZ
OY OY OY!

Seems to me we can't block to prevent them taking the cube, since they can go either to G4 or G5. What I think we should do is go over the edge to G1. Then they cannot move back to their own side. We'd be safe on G1, and completely control G4 & G5. (Note that they can't go to G5-W, either, since we could win diagonally with our other piece).

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kangra posted:

OZ OZ OZ
OY OY OY!

Seems to me we can't block to prevent them taking the cube, since they can go either to G4 or G5. What I think we should do is go over the edge to G1. Then they cannot move back to their own side. We'd be safe on G1, and completely control G4 & G5. (Note that they can't go to G5-W, either, since we could win diagonally with our other piece).

yeah, I like OZ -> G1
after that I expect them to move the G4 cube but who knows

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Anyone else in favour of this or other moves? Let's have a team agreement.

Also, Grey suggested a rule to prevent stalling: use the last move suggested if 24 hours expire.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I agree with OZ -> G1, seems like a better idea.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, passing it on to Grey.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A cube moves. G4->G5

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ok so if I am interpreting things correctly at 8am on a Friday we can't move a sceptre without losing and there's only one cube we can move that didn't just move

should we move O6 atop G1? but how should we rotate it?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Well, we could move OY-O1 but that doesn't seem to be of much use.

I think we can put O6 on top of G1 with bump either S or U. I kind of like it long term, but on the other hand we wouldn't be able to capture G1 that way.

Alternately, we put O6 on the West side of G2, bump facing U. This would probably lead to 3.GZ-G3 OZ-G5 or 3.GY-G5(xO5) OZ-O6(xG1) and it seems okay.

e: Just in case we run into a deadline, my official move suggestion is O6-G2(W), bump UP.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 16, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

And done.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Guess what! Another turn!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I was thinking OZ -> G5 diagonally, but I'm curious what the rest of the team thinks!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Pretty sure that's our best move, too. At least I can't see anything better.

OZ-G5 forces them to move cube G4 e: (nm, they can also move the scepter to G4). G4 on to O3 limits our options but G4 back on G1 prevents the capture and is probably the more likely play.

Either way we're probably forced to play OZ back to G1. I think if we get another option we take it.

Grey then captures our cube by moving to G4(wherever it is) or G6(?). We'd probably be looking to move a cube at that point (at minimum O2 would be free).

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
OZ - G5 was my immediate thought as well, since we can threaten them too

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Since everyone wants this

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A reversal! A reversal!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Okay, I was thinking earlier that we'd have to go back to G1 and they capture our cube, but now I think that's too passive.

What I propose is a plan to lock down the enemy cubes. We play O6-G5 for now. Then, if they capture our cube with a move to G4, we put O2 on top of G6. Now their cubes are fully blocked off, and since we maintain control of G5, they can't get on to them to capture them that easily.

Their pieces would be separated from each other and with cube moves blocked, I think we'll be able to trap them, or at least take control of the game.

I haven't yet looked deeply at whether O2-G6 leads to a loss if they make a different move instead of GY-G4, though.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm OK with O6->G5

The important thing is something has to end up on G5 this move or we lose.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Not sure if that was any good, because I keep forgetting about bump directions and all the cube move variations. I'm thinking this goes G6-O3 OZ-G1 GZ-G5 but it's not worth worrying about it when there are a lot of ways it could actually go.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, no! They killed O5!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Still O2 -> G6, I presume, but which way to put the domes?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dome west. We must block GZ from coming up and over.

This limits their moves to GZ-G6 and GY-G4 (on the side, probably N).

Also GZ can come around the side, forgot about that.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 19, 2020

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We want to put the cube on top of G6 facing west, but may want to consider the other option here, too.

O3 on G6 looks like a draw or maybe could convert to a win? (O3-G6(W), GY-G4 threatening G5, OZ-O2, GY-G1, OY on top of O3). Then GY is safe but stuck, GZ can move back and forth and we'd have to figure out some way to maybe get to GY.

In that sequence Grey can get cube G4 free and move it somewhere, and we'd also have a cube free if OY gets to move, so it might end up more complicated.

The line I'm seeing for O2-G6 is O2-G6(W), GY-G4N again threatening G5; this time we move GY to G2 on 'our' side. Then GY goes to O3, we put OY on top again, and it's a similar situation.

Any thoughts on which seems better? I feel like O2 might give us better chances but I sense it also allows Grey to do more with a G4 cube move.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Okay, I should probably edit but I'm trying to avoid editing posts when we have to make moves on a timeline.

I'm firmly in favor of O2-G6(dome W). If we get GY on O3 and can prevent a G4 move from being useful, it'll be a lot easier for us to move O4 to where O2 was and win that way. I don't see as easy a route if we move O3.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Allright.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You're not going to like this:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think OZ-G2, and if we're lucky, we might get to move OY soon!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Our other option is OZ-G6. Not sure which is better here.

Rules question: Is capturing mandatory? That is, if a piece moves in such a way that it could capture a cube, is it required that the cube be removed?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kangra posted:

Rules question: Is capturing mandatory? That is, if a piece moves in such a way that it could capture a cube, is it required that the cube be removed?
The rulebook says it's not a choice, and it must be removed.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Not sure how many people are still active. I'll go for OZ-G2 because I think it probably ends the game sooner.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Yeah I'm OK with OZ->G2

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Maybe team orange needs raw recruits?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're after O6!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Probably don't want to lose another one.

O3 on top of O6, bump East is what I'm thinking.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I was thinking move O2 on top of O3. If Grey wants to eliminate O6 their only option is moving down to G5, and the removal of O6 would open up OY diagonally on top of G5 for the victory.
If they don't get rid of O6, moving GY is limited to rotating around O6 (we can move up OZ onto O6 & win) or the other side of G5 (OZ up to G5 & win). G4 is the only cube they could move, and GZ doesn't have very many good options either (G5 loses, G6 opens us up to move O2 & potentially fork, G3 gives us OY-O4 facing south as a direct block....)

I probably missed something obvious so please tear this apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I like the idea in it, but I think it limits our own options too much. The big flaw to playing it right now is that it frees G6, and in fact if they put G6 on top of the O2 stack, we'd have no cube moves, and be forced to make a move a scepter and that'd lose O6. (Unless I missed something - but if OZ moves away GY can take its spot, and if OY moves away we lose the capture on top of G5).

My idea with O3 on top is to allow OY to move on to O2. It's not very definite though, since they have some options, but the idea is to move OY on to O4(S), forcing GZ to move or a G4 relocation. Then get O3 on top of O4 if GY is still on O6, and we can get OY on the south end of O2, covering any moves on to the top pieces.

The main flaw is that this lets GY escape to G1, so it's not a solid win; it would just keep O6 safe. What I would hope is that it could allow for us to capture G4 or G1 with OZ, but there's no clear way to force that either.