Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I should make it clear that I don't have a good way to force the moves that get OY to O2. The more I look at it the less likely it is. I would be open to O2 on O3 if it didn't free G6, so maybe if we can see some way around that, we do it (or play it later).

O3 on O6 is sort of delaying; it doesn't give us anything new but doesn't leave us any weaker either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm good with O3->O6(dome east) if it comes down to it, I just worry about creating an ever-taller tower trying to avoid losing cubes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

OK, let's count you two as the majority.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're coming for you from below!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So we've got two options: OY-O4(S) and OY-O2. The first lets GY move to O2(S) and then it'd be a back-and-forth with OZ and GY, since we now control G5.

The second maybe gives us more options with OZ since OY mostly keeps GY and GZ in check. They may be planning something more with a cube drop and GZ, though. I haven't really looked at all the possibilities there.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rules question: It's illegal to have a cube 'trapping' a scepter by interfering with its clearance. But that does not restrict scepters themselves, or does it?

Example: Suppose on this board OZ was on O1-N. You could not then place a cube next to G1 (i.e. where O3 just was). But you could place a scepter in G1-E, right?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's not forbidden and they would fit so it would be OK. The tip of one sceptre fits into the waist of the other.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I think we have to go with OY -> O2(E)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I concur.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Done.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

G4 creeps nearer.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm thinking OZ-G5. This threatens a move around to G6, forcing GY to move off O6. Or they end up wasting their last move by putting G4 to block it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I like OZ->G5

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

And it's done.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

GZ is coming to join in on the fun.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

A bit unexpected, but it seems they really want to prevent O4 from being moved.

OZ-G6, GY-G2, OZ-G5 seems like the safest sequence. I think after that we'd go to G1.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I feel the reply will come soon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, they've figured out the one move. Now what?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't see a better move than OZ->G5(E). Once in that position, they don't have a lot of ways to threaten us. I could be overlooking something, though.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

It doesn't really give us any way to threaten them, either, but they've played a solid game thus far so that's not surprising. OZ->G5(E) works.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, at this point there could easily be a draw, although again there may be ways out of it that I don't know.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You've got so many free cubes it's getting silly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're coming round the back!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

OZ has to move, but to where? G6 would be my choice, because we can move the O2 cube if we're ever out of scepter check & open up removing G6 once we get off of it. Also G1 is isolated & that seems less than ideal.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't see G1 as being better for us. Go with OZ->G6. It's kind of a repeat position if they move back, but I think some of the alternative moves we can make may be interesting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So be it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They've moved their other cube!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

OY is free to move now, but I actually kind of like moving O3 down to block GZ (O3-O1 bump S). That should slow them up while we start moving OY off O2.

Also I feel dumb for forgetting that G2 has the bump on the N end; I thought we could make a threat down the side once OY was free to reposition.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Done.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're doing something!

And a behind-the-wall supplement

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I kind of want to move O2 to O6, but that probably leads to GY-O3 and it's difficult to progress from there.

if instead we go O2-G1, GZ is free to move to G5, and even if we end up capturing a cube we could be worse off positionally.

Preferably I'd like a plan to trap them, but I don't know which move is better for that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Forced to make a choice, I'd go with OY-G1(up) since it's the more interesting option.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Let's see where that goes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're doing it again!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

OY-O2(E)

GY has to move, or else OY-O6 wins for us.
GY-G5(any) gives us access to another of G5's sides with a sceptre; we win.
GY-O6(any) gives us another of O6's sides; we win.

GY-G2 sticks their sceptres in places they can't move without being eliminated. I think. It's tough to see where the domes are on the bottom of the tower.

If I'm right, their only option will be to shuffle cubes, and with O3 & O4 to cover G4 and G5 we have enough cubes to top theirs so they can't move cubes, have to move a sceptre where we can take it and win.

Somebody fact check me.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

GY-G2 seems like a pretty safe spot for them, since they can hop on to O1 (and we couldn't expose O4 easily).

GZ can also come around to G4 once G1 is gone.

I was expecting if they played to O6 to put O2 on top of O6, giving us the extra cube out of the trade. Either they go to O2 and we get both G1 and G6, or they do another move (like GZ-G5 to prevent us from taking G6) and we can take G1.
It's not totally to our advantage, since GZ-G5 followed by GY-O6S forces OZ to run down to G3, but I think we're not as bad off since we have better control of the cubes.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

After more thought, I realized I forgot that O2 actually has two bumps. If we play it on top of O6 it traps GY on their side of the wall, so they would not be able to move up on it. As pointed out, they can't move anywhere on O6 so GY cannot get to another side or threaten G6.

Then they're in danger of losing since OZ is coming down to G2 after capturing G1. It'd probably mean moving G4 to get out of it, and we can possibly take both G1 and G6 (G4 on top of G6 is a move they might make, but we can still keep chasing GY).

Much more in favor of O2->O6(bump W) now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, let's roll with this. I want to see the reaction.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They've found a move!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Are we allowed to go OY-G6(top)?