Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Doom was a success, so Id made more Doom. Thus, Doom II. Don't need much more than that. Except maybe a double shotgun and a few more nightmarish enemies.

----------------

The Story:
Doomguy may have blasted his way through the forces of Hell both on Phobos and in Hell itself, but that didn't stop them from invading Earth. Arsenal in hand, he must help the survivors escape the only way he knows how.

----------------

The LP:
Once again, JigglyJacob takes the lead for an All Secrets run. Myself (ThornBrain) and TorpidTypist join him on co-commentary. This is just the base game; Jacob won't be playing the Master Levels or No Rest for the Living.

----------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Yes! I am so psyched to see this is actually going to be a series. Can’t wait until you guys get to 2016 and Eternal.

e: given that the later Dooms are a bit heavier on story, will there be cut and uncut tracks for those, or just single videos?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Hell yes, the first game I ever had the pleasure of playing! Doom II is amazing for all its contributions to the franchise in general, and just an absolute blast to play.

The new enemies are the biggest part of what makes this game so great, in my opinion. The first Doom's biggest problem for me personally is that there basically was no middle tier of enemy bar the Cacodemon, and that lack of variety hurt it a lot. But with the additions to the lineup in Doom II, along with the addition of the Super Shotgun, hallowed be its name, now Doom's already great gameplay can flex a lot more interesting combat scenarios. Really looking forward to the next few videos.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bladeworksmaster posted:

The new enemies are the biggest part of what makes this game so great, in my opinion. The first Doom's biggest problem for me personally is that there basically was no middle tier of enemy bar the Cacodemon, and that lack of variety hurt it a lot.
Yeah, this is the biggest reason why there aren't many Doom 1 custom wads and why those that exist tend to get boring really fast. The typical Doom 1 megawad experience is "cool, I get to think up strategies that do not involve the super shotgun" for the first episode and "ugh, cacos again?" for the rest of the wad.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

theenglishman posted:

given that the later Dooms are a bit heavier on story, will there be cut and uncut tracks for those, or just single videos?

From Jacob:
"Doom 2016: Probably not. The story in that game is pretty inconsequential and even the protagonist himself ignores most of it, so viewers aren't missing much if we talk over anything

Doom Eternal: Maybe. The plot has more bearing on things, is better, and has proper cutscenes, so if I do it for any of them, it'll be that one.

I don't personally watch LPs where they cut out the commentary during cutscenes, but I understand the appeal, and now that I have a computer that can probably render much faster, I'll consider it moreso than before."

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, here we go.

Doom II... I am of two minds about it. It is more Doom as Jacob said, and that's good; but I think the level design suffers somewhat overall. I feel like Doom II has more un-fun levels scattered throughout than the original game, from my experience with it over the last few weeks. Half the game feels like Thy Flesh Consumed to me. Still, it's not as if I didn't enjoy blasting my way through it. There are also some REALLY GREAT levels in the mix.

MAP01's music is definitely my favorite classic Doom tune, and it sounds even better with the high-res music packs I played through with (these are awesome by the way, and totally worth downloading; kickass sound while staying 100% faithful to the original tunes). There's also a high-res sound effects pack linked over in the Doom WAD Club thread in Retro Games, which is pretty sweet.

The Super Shotgun is loving awesome and I miss it horribly every time I can't use it (like when playing Doom instead of Doom II for instance). It actually does something like 3x more damage overall than the regular shotgun while only using 2x the ammo; spread's wider, but 20 pellets instead of 5. So unless you're trying to deal with enemies at range, there's no reason not to use the SSG. At point blank, one blast from it does as much damage as a rocket. That said, there are defintely situations where the regular shotgun is preferable, but it tends to happen more in fan-made map packs than the main game from what I've seen. Well, that and Doom 64.

Oh, bonus fun: SmoothDoom, also linked in the Doom WAD Club thread, has an option to make the Super Shotgun gib enemies at point-blank range (normally impossible due to the way the gibbing mechanic works), which makes it even more satisfying to use, like god drat. And it is just a fun little cosmetic thing to be clear; it doesn't actually change the SSG's damage output or anything.

Chaingunners can burn in Hell (...wait--) and are a good argument against playing Final Doom: Evilution. Every freakin' map in that game seems to be lousy with the bastards (where Plutonia only has 14 fewer Revenants than IMPS). Also, I see what Thorn means about Nemesis, but I can never shake the feeling that chaingunners look more like South African warlords or South American drug cartel goons or something. And their chaingun sounds like your shotgun, while your chaingun sounds like a pistol, which I find to be unfair.

Regarding demons being in terrible pain, and Blazkowicz being merciful by ending them... I won't go too far into it, but per Doom Eternal: Yes.

Music plagiarism: Also yes. Very yes...

And wow, that casual dismissal of the specter at 13:35 in the video made me laugh.

Coincidentally, Decino just posted a video yesterday about how the Revenants' homing missiles are coded, which is an entertaining watch.

Holy gently caress, that got wordy. For someone who only started playing OG Doom a couple weeks after Doom Eternal dropped, I seem to have a lot to say about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking demons and their day to day lives, there's actually a comic by the One Punch Man guy about a typical family in the underworld, including a salaryman father, an unemployed wannabe manga artist son, and a laser eyed tentacle monster mother.

It's called Makai no Ossan, and there's some pretty good gags at various points. Also a staggeringly casual attitude towards brutal murder, as fits the setting.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm not sure which of the unseen enemies are being called worse than changunners, but it's wrong. Changunners are nasty for the same reason the shotgunners are - they're hitscan enemies that can pop out of nowhere to shred your health without warning. Except, unlike shotgunners, they can do so from across the map, and have an incredible rate of fire.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

I'm not sure which of the unseen enemies are being called worse than changunners, but it's wrong. Changunners are nasty for the same reason the shotgunners are - they're hitscan enemies that can pop out of nowhere to shred your health without warning. Except, unlike shotgunners, they can do so from across the map, and have an incredible rate of fire.
Two potential candidates spring to mind immediately because they do the last thing you want them to do when facing a horde of enemies. Chaingunners, for all their insane damage potential, are glass cannons.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

But what really bothers me about chaingunners is that their weapon makes the same noise as the shotgun, until you pick it up.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

But what really bothers me about chaingunners is that their weapon makes the same noise as the shotgun, until you pick it up.

Yeah, it's crap.

The chaingun in Doom 64 sounds pretty badass, though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Babysitting is treacherous

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still think there is one more enemy in the game that is worse (admittedly, mostly due to usage in modern WADs), but yeah, Pain Elementals are very, very aptly named.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Yup, there certainly is at least one Doom WAD with a (vaguely) Caribbean setting :v:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/paradise

One of the secret levels of TNT Evilution is also outright named 'Caribbean'.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Man, Tricks and Traps was my first exposure to infighting, and it was glorious to witness the Cyberdemon cleaving through all those Barons. At this point Doom II is almost done introducing the new monsters, and now it can flex its muscles in applying its new tricks to the map design since they have the roster to fill it. It doesn’t always hit the mark, as we’ll see, but it’s interesting if nothing else.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Carpator Diei posted:

Yup, there certainly is at least one Doom WAD with a (vaguely) Caribbean setting :v:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/paradise

One of the secret levels of TNT Evilution is also outright named 'Caribbean'.
There's also Pirate Doom but that does its own thing quite different from the classic gameplay.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 23, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

I still think there is one more enemy in the game that is worse (admittedly, mostly due to usage in modern WADs), but yeah, Pain Elementals are very, very aptly named.

I've never had much trouble with them, personally. When it comes down to it, Lost Souls aren't that hard to deal with unless you get careless, and the PE goes down quick enough you can usually keep it from spawning too many anyway.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I love your impersonation of the Pain Elemental's cry.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Tricks and Traps is, though an extreme one, a good example of my favorite kind of level design in classic, unmodded Doom: big and sprawling with a lot to do, but a good chunk of it being totally optional. You only absolutely have to enter three of the eight rooms around the central hub to complete it: the Cyberdemon/Baron town meeting to grab the yellow key, the yellow door to get the red key, and the red door to leave. The rest is left completely to your own whims whether you want to go through the entire level and kill everything or rush through it as quickly as possible; the only part that brings a rushed run down is having to spend time watching a Cyberdemon kill off several Barons, which is too satisfying to be annoying. It's like the antithesis to Unholy Cathedral, where even the most optimal path forces you to run through almost the entire level, slowly slogging through two dozen pinkies, lost souls and cacos/barons.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What Jacob's gameplay didn't demonstrate in Tricks & Traps is the gimmick in that room full of imps he BFGed into oblivion. If you don't kill them quickly, they all start teleporting from the bottom of the room up to the platform you're on, behind you.

I had a slightly more difficult time with it because I was too stupid to pull out the BFG and tried to shotgun them all instead. :v:

I actually intentionally walked into that trap with the pinkies though, because blasting pinkies in the face with the SSG is the most satisfying thing in the game.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 25, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KeiraWalker posted:

What Jacob's gameplay didn't demonstrate in Tricks & Traps is the gimmick in that room full of imps he BFGed into oblivion. If you don't kill them quickly, they all start teleporting from the bottom of the room up to the platform you're on, behind you.

I had a slightly more difficult time with it because I was too stupid to pull out the BFG and tried to shotgun them all instead. :v:

I actually intentionally walked into that trap with the pinkies though, because blasting pinkies in the face with the SSG is the most satisfying thing in the game.
Blasting pinkies in the face with the SSG, using the chainsaw, getting a berzerk and punching them, lots of fun ways to kill pinkies.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The thing that always gets me in Tricks and Traps is that last room, behind the red door. I nearly always either overshoot the bend or go too slow to make all the platforms as they sink.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Meaty Ore posted:

The thing that always gets me in Tricks and Traps is that last room, behind the red door. I nearly always either overshoot the bend or go too slow to make all the platforms as they sink.
That room is the one thing I don't like about the level, because there's no second chance. If you miss it, you're dead; reload. And more than that, it does it in a slow way where you can see that you're hosed but you can't do anything about it. Usually in Doom either death is sudden or there's always the possibility of getting out of it right to the last second, but not there.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
I played Doom and Doom II with my brother and my uncle a few years ago (for some reason we played the second before the first). I liked the game but I definitely remember getting lost in the bigger levels.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

That room is the one thing I don't like about the level, because there's no second chance. If you miss it, you're dead; reload. And more than that, it does it in a slow way where you can see that you're hosed but you can't do anything about it. Usually in Doom either death is sudden or there's always the possibility of getting out of it right to the last second, but not there.

I wanna say there's a couple other places in Doom II where you're screwed and have to reload a save if you fall... although I can't remember off the top of my head where.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

KeiraWalker posted:

I wanna say there's a couple other places in Doom II where you're screwed and have to reload a save if you fall... although I can't remember off the top of my head where.

The Chasm (map 24) has a pit near the exit that has no way out. All other pits that I can remember have some way out.

I'm not sure why I was thinking about it earlier today but vanilla Doom 2 seems to lack any real dedicated mazes. The area with the blue key in The Chasm is sort of a simple maze and there are a few other areas that feel like mazes from the first person view but when viewed from the automap really aren't. Doom 1 has at least six I can think of: E1M2 optional blinky light maze, E1M4 maze to the yellow key, E1M6 another maze to the yellow key, E2M2 optional crate maze, E2M6 red key area blinky light maze with lots of spectres, and E3M7 pit maze for red key.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Took me all day before I could update the thread due to external hard drive failure. For now, meet a new nightmare.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aand here we go, the worst enemy in the game. Custom mapping has been going absolutely hog wild with Archviles since at least 1998 and people still find ways to make more and more dickish fights involving them. Anything capable of increasing the monster count is a priority target.

e: VVV Yeah, that was one of the examples I had in mind. The moving cover somehow manages to feel both ingenious and incredibly frustrating.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 30, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Custom mapping has been going absolutely hog wild with Archviles since at least 1998 and people still find ways to make more and more dickish fights involving them.

From Map 29 of Sunlust. The map's title is 'Go gently caress Yourself'. Though to be fair, once you've dealt with the hordes of Imps and Hell Knights pouring into the outer circle from two directions, you can activate a crusher that will help you kill the Arch-Viles.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I had about as much trouble with that teleporting cyberdemon as Jacob did. That level in general murdered me a few times. Pretty sure I died once or twice in the O of Pain or whatever it is too, though the archvile is pretty harmless considering it's the first time you ever run into one.

Later archviles, on the other hand...

Carpator Diei posted:

[That's a lot of loving archviles.]

Mother of God.

I've been watching Decino play that WAD. And yeah, it's loving nuts how people like to throw archviles around--there are forty-two archviles in the first 11 maps of that WAD alone. Granted that's on Ultra-Violence, but HMP often isn't any better judging from the enemy tables on the Doom wiki. (And then it sometimes has ridiculous spikes depending on the map. 0 archviles on HMP, 6 on UV...)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we've been playing it in the SA Doom WAD club this month. The reactions were mostly positive, although people dropped the difficulty levels quite often (Sunlust even comes with a "don't play this on UV unless you're a Doom god" style warning).
I went "gently caress it, gonna cheat through the encounters I can't do in five tries" on MAP19. Can't even imagine how the last two maps are supposed to be played and that fight is one of the reasons since it limits your movement and speed to one matching the covers (or sprinting towards the other one - not an easy thing to do in a circle full of monsters that block you).

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 30, 2020

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah, Sunlust is one I see quite often on "Best WADs of all time" lists. Probably quite an accomplishment considering how contentious a question the quality of a given map or WAD tends to be in the the Doom community (case in point: Refueling Base is another map that people seem to either love or hate; some consider it one of the worst maps in Doom II, others hold it up as a paradigm of good level design).

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 30, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Now that the LP has seen all the different monsters, I wanted to bring up Oblige.

It's basically a Doom randomizer. It creates random levels, fills them with random enemies, random weapons, and on the upper difficulties it can create some nightmare scenarios... stuff like opening a key door to find an actual wall of revenants with their own personal Arch-Ville.

It's worth checking out!

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Hell yeah the Archvile. Easily the best enemy in Doom 2 for heightening the tension, especially in a huge bloodbath of a room where you left him all these dangerous enemies to play with. WAD makers spam him to the point of annoyance for sure, but I could scarcely call Doom II complete without him.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

DoubleNegative posted:

Now that the LP has seen all the different monsters, I wanted to bring up Oblige.

It's basically a Doom randomizer. It creates random levels, fills them with random enemies, random weapons, and on the upper difficulties it can create some nightmare scenarios... stuff like opening a key door to find an actual wall of revenants with their own personal Arch-Ville.

It's worth checking out!

Oblige + DoomRL Arsenal (monsters included) + MAJORKEY.WAD is one of my favorite ways to play Doom II. Protip: ammo is what gets changed into modpacks and I believe the invis spheres are what become the UAC chests, so if you want to cheese the maps or just play around with assemblies/rare stuff as much as possible, be sure to max out ammo and powerups when generating your Oblige map!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Personally, the Arch-Vile was always my favorite enemy, and have never found it to be too difficult to deal with. The resurrection gimmick is perfect, and there's enough wind-up on the attack that if you manage to get hit by it you deserve to die.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Bodies wasted in defeat
People dying on the streets

The next part may be delayed a week or two. I lost my commentary recordings for the next three parts when my external drive failed, and it may be a while before we can re-record them.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I have to admit I actually like The Inmost Dens and the upcoming level (Industrial Zone, I think?), just because they're both fairly chill, easy levels mainly populated by lots of weak enemies you can just mow down with the chaingun and regular shotgun.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Aw, I did like getting lost in Downtown, but then again, Duke Nukem 3D is my favorite classic FPS and I'm a sucker for urban settings. I admit the level layout is really asking for vertical aiming and mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Petiso posted:

and I'm a sucker for urban settings.

Same here. Aesthetically, for me Downtown is probably the high point of this third of Doom II (Industrial Zone is a close second). Gameplay-wise is a different story. It's not the worst map of this section by any stretch - if there's any map from this part of the game I'd have to say I don't like, it would be The Citadel - but there's fewer things across this game that annoy me as much as grabbing the blue key in this level and then trying and failing to remember which of the four or so teleports take me where I need to go to actually use it.