Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Huh, so Melia basically gets 3 guaranteed good chain continuation attacks (assuming she has three spirits out when the attack is started)?

Yes. Her DOTs scale with the chain attack damage multipliers as well, so if you discharge earth in round tow or three of a chain attack it does massive amounts of damage once its over.

Melia is the best character and it sucks that her gameplay gimmick isn't in any of the other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The NLA day theme has about 10 seconds of vocals that are pretty close to being 1:1 from Dragon's Dogma's Cassardis theme. It sounds really out of place and bothers me every time I hear it.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 11, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I didn't understand why they gave the Manon such grating voices until I got to the part with the woman who commits suicide when her restaurant got popular with them. It all clicked.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are the Manon the ones that get obsessed with pizza?

Yes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm playing through 2 for the first time at the moment and I'm really not sure how I feel about its combat. The arts cancelling stuff is neat, but it also basically makes positioning pointless since all you really care about is doing specials on enemies with break. There's basically no room in its systems for doing stuff like reflecting fortress unit's titan stomps or putting any thought into chain attacks.

The previews for 3 have made me a little worried since apparently there are even fewer options for building characters and its combat looks a lot like 2's.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sudonim posted:

I wonder how they're going to avoid the ff5 problem of "if everyone can do everything then
everyone is the same" problem (or maybe they'll run right into it).

Hopefully the characters all have base stats that play a larger role than class based stat changes or characters have unique skills in addition to class skills.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ethiser posted:

Why would you want that though? Making certain characters better at certain things makes large parts of the class system redundant. If someone is just naturally better at attacking there is very little reason to have them do anything else. Having your class decide your stats allows for a greater diversity in party makeup.

If everyone can do each class equally well there's a pretty good chance that the optimal party composition will be everyone or almost everyone running one build, which is not interesting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IMO the optimal build is giving everyone zephyr because Mio's jacket has the best looking physics.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OhFunny posted:

It could be like the Trust system in 2 where the more you play as it the higher your ranking goes and unlocks bonuses.

This is a thing. Characters have levels in each class, but I think that's what the "rank 1" text and bar is indicating in the screenshot.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A lot of the replies to the DLC hero teaser tweet are people saying it's Poppi because the silhouette is robot shaped. I don't understand why there are so many people who are convinced that the casts of Xenoblade 1 and 2 are all returning in 3.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm about 40 hours into my first play through of Xenoblade 2 and it's pretty cool repeatedly realizing that the gacha system is even shittier than I had previously thought.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm on chapter 8 of Xenoblade 2 now and the game really feels like someone wrote down a pretty neat idea for a general setting and story but then decided to fill in the blanks by smearing diarrhea over it.

I don't understand Pyra/Mythra's arc. It would make sense in a different story, but this is one where there's a supremely powerful, cartoonishly evil antagonist who is planning to exterminate humanity and destroy the world and she alone can stop him. What does she expect to happen without her? How can Jin have the power to control and stop lasers but also not have the power to control and stop light? Why does it matter if people find out that the king of Tantal isn't descended from Addam? Why do Mor Ardain and Uraya even want to go to war? How does the poo poo with dumping Pyra on the bottom of the ocean and just hoping that someone from Lefteria is a good person and finds her make any sense?

I am starting to dread 3. At least its protagonists seem vaguely likeable so it'll be more bearable if the plot stops making sense like 1.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 17, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Terper posted:

Pyra/Mythra are suicidal and self-sacrificing because they have trauma over what happened in the past.

There's a scene in chapter 7 where the party is fighting and losing to Jin and Malos. She tells Rex to just let them be dead because he can reach Elysium by himself while he's on the verge of being killed by Malos. I understand that they're suicidal but that doesn't explain why she believes that things would miraculously be fine.

Terper posted:

Because the legitimacy of the royal line would evaporate.

The dude reveals all of this information in front of his soldiers and they don't give a poo poo, so why does it matter? There seems to be zero repercussion to the information getting out. It doesn't seem like there's anyone who would force him out of power.

Terper posted:

Have you somehow missed that the Titans are dying and there's less and less land, because that is Rex's motivation to find Elysium.

I don't think the game says anything about Uraya imminently dying like it does Mor Ardain, and Mor Ardain already did their imperialism with Gormott. Is Uraya also on the verge of death and it's just not depicted and mentioned elsewhere?

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 17, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MorningMoon posted:

powerful post and username combo

Honestly that's a pretty good idea since the music is probably the game's only redeeming quality. Counterattack is a neat song.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mea Tulpa posted:

If the game's music is the only redeeming quality idk why you force yourself through it. XB2's narrative was kind of all over the place, and some parts were just silly like Jin and the elemental particle bit. I liked the battle system and roaming around the larger areas. The game was definitely a slow burner for me compared to the previous ones.

I had heard and believed that X was a terrible game before I played it earlier this year, but I wound up liking it quite a bit as the story went on. I figured the same might be true with 2 since apparently the later chapters were much better. I'm close enough to the end that I figure that I might as well run through the rest of the game and the stuff that's left deals with the aspects of the setting that I think are interesting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh Xenoblade 1s story is pretty nonsense if you think about it to hard.

Just you know don’t do that

X stops trying to make any sense in the last chapter. It's a series tradition.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 18, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

chumbler posted:

Many people are invested in spreading the false propaganda that Xenoblade X is bad for some reason. They are wrong and to be ignored.

I can understand it why people wouldn't like it. The game has some incredibly janky sections, massive difficulty spikes, Black Tar and a lot of what makes the overall story enjoyable are optional side quests.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TurnipFritter posted:

My favorite bit of writing in X is in chapter 11 when they're discussing BLADE morale with Vandham and Lin is like "Gwin says that Irina has been acting so reckless to the point that he thinks she's suicidal" and that felt like an interesting character beat to explore, especially for an otherwise nothing character like Irina. It's never mentioned or acknowledged again. Or before really.

I dunno. I'm an X apologist, but any sort of remaster or remake would need to really dial up the character bits.

I like the woman who is distraught over her husband's death because she'll never see him again. A widowed spouse could have been used to set up some neat foreshadowing but I guess that particular writer just didn't get the memo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Senna used a linked Yumsmith art in one of the gameplay previews released about a month ago. It seems like it acts like a sword and shield when one of the party members is using it, rather than a shield and gun.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"hey, do this quest for me"
"while you're at it, I have the item for quest one but you have to fetch some poo poo for me in nested quest 2 before I give you the item for quest 1"

Fuckyouuuuuuu

Don't forget the random field skill check that you don't meet without grinding affinity and gacha pulls.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

We've known that 3 will have tedious poo poo in it from the moment a blue orb appeared in a trailer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I still think about that quest where the player can choose to allow a bunch of Manon be murdered by an insane racist and Elma, Hope and Celica get positive affinity for it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Someone apparently posted the elite monster battle theme to Youtube (no idea where they got it from, but it's one I remember from the Direct trailer that I was curious to hear more of)

People are able to rip the music now that the game has leaked online so the entire soundtrack should be out and about, along with all the cutscenes. Youtube is probably about to have hella spoilers on it unless you scrub your viewing history.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In retrospect, the hair and cloth physics should have been the first sign that there would be jiggle physics. Eunie truly is Sharla 2.0.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You can pick up collectables in combat in Xenoblade 3, which makes it the best game in the series.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I like that I did not look at the epilogue spoiler picture but now know exactly what it is from people replying to it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

spoilers about the tone/writing of 3 with zero specifics but will indirectly give a general indication of the content: I have no idea how anyone could see this game as being a mix of 1 and 2 in tone. This poo poo is like a mix of 1 and that mission in X where a couple are incrementally dismembered within earshot of one another and you find what's left of their mutilated corpses.

also all of the party members are great.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

VanillaGorilla posted:

On the other hand the first hour features a mixed gender communal bathing scene a la Starship Troopers so, again, the game is horny on main

That scene is honestly at most slightly horny. The game as a whole seems to be about on par with XC1, although I'm not terribly far in.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I think the main difference between Xenoblade 1 and 2 with regard to this sort of thing is that, in Xenoblade 2, it's actually incorporated into actual plot cutscenes (while in Xenoblade 1 it's just something that exists through some character/armor designs). It seems like 3 might be more similar to 1 in that regard, though even in 1 you'd never have a scene similar to the one above.

I just like that in the dystopian, sexless and loveless future women all have boob windows and none of them wear bras. It's important for the world building.

Junpei posted:

I've seen some gameplay a week or so back of the 'prologue' or 'first chapter', which is just Noah/Lanz/Eunie and someone name Mwamba who had "I will die" stamped all over him, I just wanna know if once that's done Mio and her crew also get a prologue chapter and then the two parties combine or if only Noah gets that.

You control Mio's party for a couple of minutes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Leathal posted:

Not that I recommend it, but if you check out the XB3 threads on /v/ there’s a ton of bitching about “SJW censoring” which should tell you all you need to know.

If this isn't a ringing endorsement in the game's favor then I don't know what is.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Not really spoilers since it's a basic game mechanic in 3 but I guess some people want to go in totally blind: I like that the stupid eavesdropping on NPCs to unlock quests and heart to hearts mechanic is back from X. It's probably going to be a billion times more bearable since the colonies are a fraction of the physical size of NLA so it's not like finding a needle in a haystack. It's sad that the party conversations you get from it aren't voiced but I guess that's JRPGs.

Ytlaya posted:

Yes, I believe this should absolutely be a bare minimum regardless of whatever else is decided. Spoiler tags should always be accompanied by a description of what the spoiled content is from.

It's also very important to know what not to say it's from, as well.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IcePhoenix posted:

Is Futures Connected something I should play before 3 for more context and some scenario setup or is it just fluff for the end of DE? If it's important I'll probably just rush to the end of the story tomorrow so I can try and do it during the week.

It was written and developed alongside 3 so it would be weird and kind of disappointing if it doesn't have any connection. FC is also like five hours long if you just do its main story.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I said come in! posted:

He makes Poppi into a robot sex doll that is designed to fulfill all of his fetishes.

making a sex bot is one thing but poppi also looks like she's 10

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I started liking X2's combat dramatically less once I figured out that I wanted specific weapon and element combos on specific characters and how loving tedious and obnoxious it would be to get them. I feel like almost every facet of that game was specifically designed to make me hate it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I do not understand why they removed the ability to level down in 3. It was so nice being able to drop your levels back down to match unique monsters you missed.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shyfted One posted:

You can level up at campsites, but not back down

Yeah, I just don't understand why. I assume it's going to be a NG+ feature like it was in 2, but I dunno why'd they mage it NG in DE and then back away from that. It's such a major QOL improvement.

BabyRyoga posted:

30 hours in. No actual spoilers but I will spoil my opinions anyways

I like it more than XC2 for sure. I still can't help but feel someone is bad at math down at the monolith soft offices though, however, because enemy power level jumps all over the place (on hard). I've fought bosses 2 levels higher than me that i've wasted, and uniques/bosses 5 levels lower than me that were still a nightmare. Combat in these games has always felt kinda weird and secondary to exploration and story, but it feels like there is so much lost potential here in actually making better combat.

Also, i've never once spent any gold and have capped at 99/99 ether, so I hope there is actually an outlet to use those things later.

About the difficulty, have you actually been able to play through the whole game on hard so far? I got to the first mandatory mini boss boss in chapter 1 and couldn't figure out how I would progress without grinding levels. Normal has, so far, felt pretty well balanced.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

queeb posted:

XBC3 spoilers re - character classes and stuff, about 10 hours in, nothing story related there are 23 goddamn classes in this game

edit: its also really cool kinda just exploring the world with 6 party members all running around. i really love this game so far.

I thought it was really weird that the game just shows you all of the classes once you get the first hero. I dunno why they'd do that unless they were planning on throwing in a curve ball or something later on.

Also yeah they did a really good job with the party members in this one. They move like they're walking as a group with the lead character, rather than just following them. The random dialogue and little idle animations are good too. If you stop when Mio has her random incidental dialogue about "writing this down in her journal" she'll actually pull it out and jot some things down. The physics also make a lot of the characters and outfits just kind of neat to look at when they're running around.

3 just has a lot of really nice little touches.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Toad King posted:

For people with the game: Can you hear dialog in cutscenes well this time around, or will I have to drop the BGM volume a couple ticks like in 2?

The audio mixing seems fine, but the real dogshit cutscenes from X didn't show up until like half way through the game so who knows.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, X has super bad mixing very early on. Like that one cutscene I linked, which is from one of the beginning cutscenes explaining the pseudo-MMO raid boss stuff.

It's bad throughout, but even by its own low standards there are stand out examples of terrible mixing and I think that the most infamous one is a ways into the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there an auto battle mode?

yea

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I said come in! posted:

How does the auto battle in this work?

Press a button and the party member AI takes over the character you're controlling. It doesn't work in boss fights, and I don't know if it will do chain attacks or anything like that since I've never used it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tabletops posted:

Can someone who’s playing confirm/deny that characters have preferred roles/classes or if everyone is equally effective with any class?

Each character appears to have unique, individual base stats for each class. There's not an absolutely huge difference in every instance, but there's a bit of one in others.

e: did not do a good job of checking the first time.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Characters have a letter grade (S-D) with classes that indicates their affinity. From what I can tell, that determines how long they have to be playing alongside someone who uses the class before they can equip it, but not how good they actually are at using / progressing it.

It affects how many class points they gain, so it does determine progression.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 25, 2022