Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just started playing this and wow they caught me off guard at the end of chapter two. A darker game then I thought it would be.

Also there are so many side quests. I'm about 6hrs in and on chapter three because I'm running around trying to finish them before leaving this zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Thanks for the advice Bobman!

Right now I'm staring at the screen murmuring, "Erik or Andreas? Hmmm...."

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 5, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Neither looked that great so I just let her follow her heart.

I know it's something that's mentioned on the first page, but it's quite interesting that the game was localized into British English. British accents are common, but I can't think of a game I've played that didn't use US or Oxford English text before. I see a word like 'apologise' and go, "huh".

I assume from it's lack of mention in your prior advice the side quests have no impact on the main plot and/or ending as they do in some games?

Got my third party character now and they're very chill with running around collecting bugs in light of the circumstances lol.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

froglet posted:

Yeah they say in one of the tutorials that the affinity of NPCs to each other doesn't really affect anything (besides your rating with the town), it's just there coz you might like to see how their stories unfold.

I heard the reason Xenoblade Chronicles was all in British English was because it was never intended to be released in the US and was localised entirely by the European arm of Nintendo. It's definitely not something you see very often with JRPGs.

Now that I'm deeper into the game I see that there are stories unfolding through the side quests like you said and they are not just fetch/kill quests to grind for exp.

I think what threw my initial impression off was Shulk endless repeating, "That sounds like a problem." "Glad everything worked out." at the start and end. It might have been better to just have the characters not comment at all on the NPCs problems instead of using the same dialogue over and over for such different goals.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

As a MMO toucher I'm used to the usual tanks = heavy armor, melee dps = medium armor, caster dps/healer = light armor

But the more I shared at the numbers (and checked some guides to make sure I wasn't massively wrong) it seems light armor is just better for everyone expect in some edge cases?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

These four Defensive Kromar are ripping me apart. Any advice? I'm on par with them level wise.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

The ones in Eryth Sea? I used Dunban/Reyn/Riki. Playing as Riki, sleep them asap (give Riki sleep-resist gems and take Dunban & Reyn's circular AoE moves off their action bar) and then focus them down 1 by 1.

Thanks Tyler! I managed to beat them after a few tries this way. I guess I should get more comfortable with changing up my party members going forward.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Another important thing I learned just now is the immediate art manuals I've been waiting to get via drops are actually just sold by shopkeepers. That...that would have helped a lot.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Resolution in docked mode ranges between 720-504p@30fps.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Progress on Xenoblade 1 has been slow since I've been working down my backlog of Resident Evil titles, but I got to Prison Island and feel dumb for not noticing in advance what in retrospect was a siren horn foreshadowing of a reveal. A step ahead of Dunban though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I finally finished Xenoblade 1 a few days ago.

I really enjoyed it's story, but the gameplay only really checked for me toward the very end. Even then I was mostly just topple locking every boss into place.

I've looked at Xenoblade 2, but can't quite parse what it's going for gameplay wise. I wish there was a demo. I'm thankful to the posters who've described it in detail, but it's hard to a get a feel for it through just posts and video.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

track day bro! posted:

I do feel the same about 2 also, I want more Xenoblade but there are so many things that make me think I'll hate it. Also wow I thought I'd be able to pick up a cheap used copy which doesn't seem to be a thing, did it not sell well?

Quite the opposite. It's Monolith Soft's best selling game. It's hard to find cheap because of it's popularity.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah but she’s technically the main character so you’re actively encouraged to use her. And you should!

I do need to learn how to use Melia too. I didn't use her at all in the main game and got bodied in the first expansion fight, because I wasn't sure what to do with her in the lead.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Augus posted:

oh no I'll need to finish 2 to understand the story fuuuuuuuck

Same friend. 2 has been sitting in my backlog, but no more.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Staffgun.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I am really enjoying the gameplay of XC2 and I'd like to thank the goons who effort posted about it so much. Chapters 1&2 were pretty slow, but now that I have a full party here in Chapter 3 and am using pouch items and some good accessories the combat feels great with abilities recharging so fast. Everything has clicked for me in a way that it never really did for XCDE.

I guess the only "problem" is I feel so far above the intended power curve none of the recent boss fights or unique enemies feel very threatening. I haven't even pulled any additional Blades.

Also the fight to teach you how to break and topple didn't seem to account for the fact I didn't have anchor shot equiped. That was a little annoying.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Alxprit posted:

How dare you customize your experience before we tell you it's okay to do so!

The Chain Attack tutorial was the last one right?

Right? Goons?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

When it comes to most RPGs like Pokémon or Xenoblade or Baldur’s Gate, I’m one of the few who generally enjoys over leveling all the content. I wanna grow strong and stomp rear end!

Oh I also enjoy breaking a game's combat system over my knee from time to time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

the real lesson of that tutorial was "you should always have anchor shot equipped because its incredibly useful"

Rolling Smash has bigger numbers tho...

I see there are items needed for side quests that don't become available until you've completed Merc Missions. Looks like it is time to pull a bunch of Blades to do those with!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Oh the game has limited auto-saving.

It froze when I tried to change the time of day and I lost some hours progress.

To mock me further I reloaded standing in front of Tiger! Tiger! and had to regain my 50,000+ point score.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 13, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Horace Kinch posted:

Not seeing a nopon party member in that image, having serious doubts about this game now.

Monolith is going to make a nopon a temporary party member who is killed off after one chapter to show the cost of war. It'll be the cool big bro of two we saw in the trailer.

I'll never forgive them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

They must done some serious optimization or engine overhaul to double the party size on the field.

Also one of Mio's moves turns her weapons into Destructo Discs from Dragonball and that owns.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

7 party members is loving insane. would have been pleased for a return to the 4-member party from XCX but 7 is going to result in huge clusterfucks of insanity lol.

Is Mio just Nia? What's with that?
This masked woman is almost certainly Nia. Her design matches Nia's to a tee and you can hear her say in the first trailer, "They must be erased without a trace," in what is unmistakably Nia's Welsh-accent voice.

WrightOfWay posted:

XBC2 had 6, 3 drivers and 3 blades, so its not as big of a leap forward technically as it sounds.

Oh yeah. Don't know how I could have forgotten that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The nopons in the back do poses, but don't summon any Blades.

Cheated again of being Drivers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

What the Aegis of Greek myth is is never actually specified. It could be a shield, it could be an animal hide, it could be a magical sword who is also a cute girl.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

There's a couple names that allude to Christianity in the Japanese text. Aegis is Holy Grail. Elysium is Paradise. Architect is God of Creation.

I think only Trinity (Processor) made it through the localization.

They then mashed the Christendom with Norse myth by placing these things atop a World Tree.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica...s-introduced%2F

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1520031255311626240

Some new character info.

Well not so much for Vandham, but still.

edit: I just noticed Ethul and Eunie have the same kind of tattoo on opposite sides of their chests.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 2, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Some chibi art got posted too by Nintendo and until I saw it I thought hammer girl was a tank.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/1523560244240326656?s=20&t=Ii8aNtt6VQ7iJV8ouvRQaQ

A closer, if brief, look at the combat.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

At long last. This is done.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 14, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I didn't notice until watching the newest clip the Xenoblade twitter account posted that the uniforms the Keves soldiers have the same neon glowing circle that Shulk wears in Future Connected.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Getting close to the end of Mechonis stuff I think. I think I've finished everything that you can't do afterwards, but it's hard to be sure. 100% sure I finished all Alcamoth quests and H2Hs at least.

edit: Final party member (not sure if being vague is still necessary given how old the game is, but just in case) is kind of a powerhouse. Am I correct in assuming that I should just auto-attack while her speed aura is up? It seems like using arts during it just interrupts her rapid auto-attacks (which do very high damage).'

edit2: Is this extra stuff with Tyrea only added with the definitive edition? I don't remember this side-quest, and it's all voice acted (which I don't think is the case for any other side quests in this entire game).

I want to say no to the Tyrea sidequest being new to the DE. I'm pretty sure no content was added to the base game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Terper posted:

It was pretty dope, but I understand why some wouldn't like it and why they'd remove it

Speaking of dope

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1526842543161360384

Hmmm Maktha. Makna Forest + Land of Morytha

Edit: Same thing in Japanese, but switched starting and ending half. So that's definitely intentional.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 18, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm playing through Torna: The Golden Country and I like a lot of what they've done here. The revamp of the combat is a nice switch up while keeping things familiar. The optional camp dialogue is a good way to give little character moments. The community chart feels like a better version of XC1's affinity chart.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

That sounds like a fun combat system.

Oh speaking of Torna's campfires looks like that's something that's made it into XC3

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/1529359380646199296?s=20&t=WhYnNNMsHjkPmPMfVc3RiQ

Chat, leveling(?), crafting, and cooking

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Omobono posted:

Is this a representation or something that actually happens in-game i.e. when Mio switches to Noah's class does she get a random bigass sword or Noah's Monado replica as depicted?
I assume it's the latter and the realization that Keves (XB1 faction) can mass produce Monado replicas hadn't really sunk in yet.

Holy poo poo they can mass produce Monado Replicas.

The article says:

quote:

Each character has their own set of affinities, such as what weapon they wield, or their Arts.

Those affinities are what we call Classes. And when you deepen your bonds with your allies, you can change them. This will then change their Arts kit, as well as which kind of weapon that they can wield, allowing for a more flexible strategy.

So yeah class change is something in game and not just art.

quote:

Holy poo poo they can mass produce Monado Replicas.

Already hearing every Keves enemy scream MONADO BUSTER every .5 seconds.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Omobono posted:

No I meant, in Final Fantasy X-2 for example Yuna equips Tidus's Brotherhood sword when switching to the warrior dresssphere, while Payne and Rikku have their own sword.

I was just wondering about visuals, not gameplay.

Oh.

I'd say the weapons will look the same then. Since the party members will be learning to channel the others' Arts.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Shyfted One posted:

Holy hell people. Stop getting divorced.

My new headcanon is Keves and Angus are at war because the Queens marriage to each other fell apart.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Omobono posted:

No I meant, in Final Fantasy X-2 for example Yuna equips Tidus's Brotherhood sword when switching to the warrior dresssphere, while Payne and Rikku have their own sword.

I was just wondering about visuals, not gameplay.

I feel dumb for not noticing/remembering sooner, but it will be the exact some look on each character.

Noah is wearing the exact getup as Taion when playing as a healer in the second trailer.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/1531888805162397696?s=20&t=fYVZdz26NuLC68lJ5P0adA

Animation work looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I'm still wondering what the Xenoblade is and why we haven't gotten to use it.