Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HEROPON, VERY COOL!

Riki is the best Nopon by far, followed by Tora and then there’s a massive gap and then Tatsu. gently caress Tatsu.

I’m really looking forward to the DE, especially with the new difficulty level. I beat Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii and 3DS and am excited to do it again on Switch! I might even beat the lv100+ super enemies this time, too! Did they say whether we would be able to track which unique monsters we’ve beaten? That would be a huge qol upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Riki and Tora are both cool and good and my friends, and I never played X so I never had the Nopon race ruined for me.

The one thing I'm wondering about with XB DE is if it is still going to be frustratingly random and convoluted getting manuals to level up specific Arts. I admittedly don't remember many specifics, just that that was one of the worst things about XB1.

Unique Monsters drop specific arts manuals so it isn’t quite as random as you might think. A good number are sold in stores although many are gated behind story progression and/or Colony 6 progress which can be annoying.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I barely remember the plot of XCX except that these aliens wanna kill humans because reasons and then there was something weird about the planet and also I remember it being really, really bad.

Also the NLA Day music was the worst

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DON'T FORGET what the real best music track in the series is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmnZ0R8quWM

I was legitimately mad that they patched those voice clips out, it was part of the definitive XC2 experience imo but you had to pay it within the first month or so to get it.

EDIT: I know these are tired but they synced it perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRN8vLt7gO8

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 17, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Did y’all miss the part where Elma was an alien who knew that the badguy aliens were gonna destroy earth so she went there and taught humans how to build all of the ark ships and stuff so they could escape?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I played XC 3D last year so I am definitely brushed up on the story, so I’ll probably play the bonus episode first.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nathilus posted:

The kiddie genius girl from XCX came across as uncomfortably psychotic. I think they were going for chipper and jokey but her face is super creepy and she goes on and on and on about the best joke in the whole universe.

Actually Lin is cool and has Monado earrings which rules.

But she’s also bffs with Tatsu so maybe she does suck.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hated that there wasn’t fall damage in XCX. I get that it was because of Skells and ejecting but I thought it cheapened the exploration when you could just jump down places. Whereas XC and XC2 had a lot of tightly designed areas where you saw areas below you but always had to find safe routes down.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Use Shulk when fighting Mechon but bench him otherwise. I spent probably 75% of my last playthrough using Melia.

I don’t particularly like using Riki, I get that his gimmick is to do continuous damage with Burn/Freeze/Poison all at once but eh he can kinda fill a bunch of roles but doesn’t seem to excel at any of them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omobono posted:

On the other hand, tagging a boss with one of his DoTs as fifth attack in a chain means said boss loses half their life in a few seconds.

And as he's a big Heropon, he can actually tank the resulting aggro until an actual tank grabs aggro back you build another chain attack for the other half of the life total.

Maybe this will be the playthrough where I finally figure out chain attacks, because I’ve always found them too confusing. Same with XCX, I know there are some infinite overdrive builds but I just wasn’t able to do it.

Chain attacks in XC2 were simpler though and hitting max damage made you feel like the biggest badass so it was good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

We’re discussing Dunban and nobody has posted

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE
AGAINST THE ODDS
WE CHOOSE TO FIGHT
BLOSSOM DANCE!

Anyway Dunban is great, definitely fun to control since he has a good variety of aggro-drawing moves and quick, strong attacks. He’s like Reverse Reyn.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They fixed a bunch of the problems in XC2 and added qol upgrades via patches but it didn’t fix everything. Like not being able to skip the core crystal animations, boy I wasted many hours watching those.

Edit: one of the big DE updates is fixing the menus I thought?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I said come in! posted:

An eventual update lets you skip that animation!

Sorry that’s what I meant, an update fixed that but I had already wasted many hours getting all the blades by then.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Every rare blade should've been available via a quest.

Generic 4* blades with orb master were better than most rare blades.

Though all blades were equally inferior to murder goddess QT π.

Agreed, the guy earlier who said Tora and Poppi sucked clearly didn’t use QT π enough. I understand you only get her in a late-game side quest but she’s still amazing.

Of course a lot of her good abilities were locked behind Tiger Tiger :shepicide:

Rex’s personality is repeating back to people what they just said but in the form of a question.

Shulk’s personality is just shouting “FIOOOOooooRAAAAAAAA!” Over and over.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wow how could you slander southern bell tits rabbit like that?? She just wants to make people happy.

There were a bunch of different artists designing the blades which is why they ended up being so starkly different.

At least the Gatcha system automatically gave you a few rare blades if you did enough pills without getting one. The idea that you got assigned a random number that determines which blades you were more likely to get made sense to me. But they also should have made the drop rates much higher, loving christ getting the last few blades took forever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you're doing specific god-tier setups, like murder mode Poppi or NG+ Zeke with KOS-MOS, a 3-4 star common blade with orb master is better than almost any rare blade if you want to kill super bosses, because orb master allows for stacking orbs much faster on bosses so you can fire off damage cap chain combos faster than otherwise possible.

And if they can be knocked around by driver combos, you don't need any extra blades because Rex can perform 3 out of 4 stages of the combo by himself and multiple party members can cover the missing combo status for him. Add in some boosts to swap blades faster and Rex can just stomp the poo poo out of things via driver combos.

Zenobia was the first or 2nd rare blade I pulled, and I did so at lvl 14 or so. Moved her from Nia to Rex and goddamn she murdered things.

That said, the gacha system is still trash and I wish it only existed for common blades, with rare blades all being available via quests.

To be fair, Roc loving sucks and is his only source of a smash move so he is hampered by that. Zeke’s attack animations take forfuckingever to wind up, though, so it’s not like his smash attack is any better.

This is just another example of how much better Torna was. The way they handled Driver combos in Torna was awesome.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

arsegrit posted:

Until I randomly pulled Zenobia out of a crystal I'd never got beyond 'topple' in driver combos. I was fairly far through the game at that point, and it never really felt like I was missing too much by having non-optimal blades hanging around. If there was a more reliable way of getting the missing ones I'd probably try to complete the set just for the sake of completion, but as it stands I have no incentive to go farm enough crystals to do that.

One of my favourite blades was a common one-crown dog, purely because the level 1 special is an AoE heal that scales with the number of things it was hitting. When poo poo was getting all hosed up, switching to that one and spamming it over and over would let me survive long enough to kill a few things and get on top of the incoming damage. It absolutely chewed through the boss at the end of the spirit crucible with all the multiplying shades at the end.

Unrelatedly, Zenobia's quest was the point at which I decided I *really* didn't like playing blade tetris to pass skill checks.

I was lucky and pulled Agate on Rex early on, but yeah you’re right without an axe for Rex iirc it’s tough to get launch. I can’t remember which weapons give launch/smash for other characters not named Zeke but I can say that the AI is very good at continuing Driver Combos if they are able.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No, the affinity is based on the item. Some always give a lot, regardless of the blade’s preference. Their preference increases the effect of the item.

Those Love whatever items give some crazy amount and let you max affinity super quick but require the DLC iirc.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shyfted One posted:

As much as I think I want to get the Definitive Edition I then remember that when I replayed the original in Dolphin to 100% it I totally abused save states and memory editing to make the grind for some things bearable. Also, the amount of time spent running around Alcomoth to do side quests and looking up guides for Frontier Village to find people for quests. Raising affinity and trying to get drops normally is going to suck too. gently caress, maybe I don't want to replay this.

Did you not see that they massively overhauled the side quest system to make it incredibly simple and streamlined?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shyfted One posted:

No. I have no idea what QoL upgrades they've made. Did they do anything with making it easier to find a Black Liver Bean or not have to farm Night Vision gems to hit any superboss?

Yes to the first one, they mark on your map where the collectibles you need are. Same with monsters. It also guides you on the map with a dotted line.

I have no idea about the second thing but my guess is going to be no, since that would require them to fundamentally overhaul the entire battle system which they didn’t do. They did some qol updates to it, though. And there’s an expert difficult mode now that basically prevents you from getting absurdly over-leveled.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Is it like banking experience or artificially capping your level or what?

You can control your exp level so the game doesn’t become too easy, I guess.

What are the other difficulty levels? I’ll probably play on hard if possible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I hated the enemies that reflected beam/ether/whatever in XCX. There was a flying Tyrant that looked like a UFO that I kept killing myself fighting until I realized it was reflecting my attack back at me.

That was worse than spikes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aithon posted:

In XC2 at least, spike damage is usually an indication that the boss/notorious monster has gone into gently caress you mode and you should set up a chain attack for half of its hp and nuke it into the ground ASAP. Honestly, most optional bosses boil down to setting one up from the beginning and firing it as soon as you start seeing purple numbers at half HP.

I don't remember how spike works in XC1. I want to say they were auras so you were supposed to use an aura removal skill like Monado Purge?

That doesn't mean it's a good mechanic, but you're not supposed to just sit there and take passive damage.

In XC, Spikes could be temporarily disabled with Monado Purge, there were also gems and skills and possibly auras that lowered spike damage. This is pretty vital information for everybody to know with the DE coming out in two days. Level up Monado Purge!!!!!!! You’re basically required to use Shulk against unique monsters with Spikes. And anybody with an aura like Telethia.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shyfted One posted:

How hard/easy was it to make good gems? I don't remember. And was it worth it to spend time crafting them in the early/midgame or could you just use what you found and ignore the forge until later?

You ran out of inventory space for the crafting crystals/cylinders pretty quickly I found, so I made a lot of gems at those points. Not sure if they increased inventory space in the DE. The mechanic is pretty easy to figure out but it’s based on affinity so you can’t make the best gems until later when your characters are besties and also you get higher level crystals. But what you can get should work for that point in the story.

I always found Reyn and Shulk had the highest affinity so my crafting consisted of a lot of
TO YOU!
TO ME!
TO YOU!
TO ME!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The announcement was only for like driver/blade/fusion combos and team attacks, right? The rest of the time it’s just ANCHOR SHOT ANCHOR SHOT ANCHOR SHOT

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Unoriginal One posted:

If memory serves, the mods to negate reflect were available early and easy to make, so it was easy enough to just set one and forget about it. Spikes, on the other hand, I recall not being able to actually negate until late-game in 1, and everything before that was just some flavor of partial resist.

Only needing one reflect piercing mod helped too.

On your Skell? The Ares 90 didn’t let you add mods, I think?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well poo poo, I didn’t even know there was an anti-reflect mod.

I probably won’t play it again unless they port it to Switch but that’s good to know just in case.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

IcePhoenix posted:

Saw this on reddit, if it's real it's an A+ reference and a nice bonus in general

It’s real, the GameExplain video mentioned it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

multijoe posted:

Riki owns pretty hard imo

You could say

HEROPON, VERY COOL!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Takoluka posted:

Meh meh meh!?

TORA LIKE FIGHTING EASY MONSTERS

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I probably won’t start the game until I finish getting Platinum on FFVII Remake, but I will definitely be drooling over the art book in the meantime. So excited about that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Probably don’t look at the art book if you have never played through the game before. Some big spoilers about a certain character. Everyone who has played it knows what I’m talking about.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

queeb posted:

jfc i just hit makna forest, these zones just keep getting more and more beautiful.

Nothing beats Satorl Marsh at night. NOTHING. Especially the first time it transitions to night and takes you completely by surprise.

Edit: Eryth Sea isn’t great, but Alcamoth is amazing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Future Connected is cool so far, I only played a couple hours but I got wrecked by a unique Bunnit and that ruled

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JTDistortion posted:

Is there a good list of stuff that's missable somewhere? I have some vague memories from my original playthrough of ending up with some Affinity Chart relations between NPCs that I missed my chance to improve and maybe some named monsters that I could no longer go back and fight.

Any quests with a clock icon either expire or are mutually exclusive to another quest.

There is a certain set of areas in the game where you can’t return, it’s pretty obvious but just in case I’ll spoiler it:

Anything in Sword Valley or on the Mechonis is permanently missable. Also just to be even more specific, Alcamoth.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I appreciate that there are actual for reals treasure chests hidden around the Bionis’ Shoulder in Future Connected. That’s definitely an improvement over the main game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a good guide to how to do combat? So far I just run up to things and just hit whatever cooldown is up. I suspect this is doing it wrong.

Basically you want one character to be a tank who draws aggro (which causes the enemies to focus on them) while the other two go hog wild with attacks and arts. Trying to rack up as much damage as quickly as possible is the name of the game.

Shulk is pretty easy to use, you should be using Shadow Eye to avoid drawing aggro and then setting up Break and taking advantage of his arts that have advantages from the side/back. If you can time Shaker Edge to cause Daze, good on you. Also using Monado Skills when needed.

Reyn’s job is to draw as much aggro as possible while buffing his own defense using auras. Using arts fills his talent gauge, Mad Taunt, which draws a ton of aggro. He also has Wild Down to cause topple which is important.

Dunban can be used as a dodge tank if you draw aggro and use auras to increase his agility. You can also use Gale Slash followed by a bunch of other arts to get a variety of effects. Also his talent art owns.

Sharla sucks don’t control her like ever. Healing is a tough racket in this game.

Riki can do a bunch of poo poo, he can tank or he can avoid aggro and do sneaky things. Or he can hit an enemy with burn/freeze/poison in quick succession to do a shitload of damage over a short amount of time.

Melia is the best but also difficult to explain. There is probably a really good guide out there somewhere on how to make her the strongest character. She is really really good though.

There’s a seventh character but I am gonna hold off on them because spoilers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Countblanc posted:

if such a guide exists i want to see it

Lemme see if I can do it...

She can summon little ether elemental spirits using her summon moves. Each one gives a passive buff in an area around her and she can stock three at once. They don’t stack though afaik so having two Lightning elementals doesn’t give double Ether Up. Summon Copy is incredibly valuable as it allows you to summon the most recent elemental again. Her talent art is to shoot that elemental at an enemy which has a different effect depending on the element, also some hit harder than others and sometimes in an AoE. You can buff her ether attack with Lightning and then go crazy shooting elementals for crazy damage. Or you can give your party regenerate or physical/ether protect or agility up or strength up. Once you shoot enough elementals she goes in ELEMENT BURST mode where her ether attack shoots through the roof and she can use Burst End and Mind Blast both of which are :discourse: Burst End lowers the physical/ether def of all enemies in the vicinity and Mind Blast hits all enemies in front of Melia for a lot of damage, removes Auras and inflicts Arts Seal. Mind Blast after Burst End with the buff from Summon Lightning is amazing. She has one Aura, Power Effect which doubles the range of her buffs and lasts a while which means it has good synergy with Aura Heal, especially if you have an Aqua stocked for extra regeneration.

She also has those two attacks, Spear Break & Starlight Kick, which when used in succession force Topple and apparently can be combined with Topple Plus gems to do infinite loops locking enemies into topple forever? I haven’t done it but I’ve heard it’s good. I don’t tend to use those moves with her.

Edit: the buffs might stack I am probably wrong. Having two Lightning elementals stocked then shooting other elementals over and over is a good strategy, as the guy above me said.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Having a bunch of enemies attacking you at once usually complicates things. That’s why those Fogbeasts in Future Connected are so difficult, they immediately draw in every enemy in the area as if just fighting them wasn’t enough.

Also it’s BS that they gated the second-to-last Ponspector behind a high level unique monster who has friends that fight with him, but it was nice of them to put a waypoint right outside the room. I’ll have to come back later when I’m closer to lv 80 I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TurnipFritter posted:

You can aggro the front two enemies with Lure, defeat them, then aggro the Unique Monster Target with Lure without triggering the big bad in that room. Normally I wouldn't just tell you what to do, but I feel like most people forget that Lure exists?

drat I didn’t know that you could use lure like that, without getting the attention of the other monsters in the room. I’ll have to try that later.