Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm looking forward into putting well over 100 hours into this game trying to 100% everything again before burning out and not actually finishing the story (again) :v:

Also I really love the nostalgia of calling them "Seven." Brings back the memories from the thread ten years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rex was good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the quests you had to do to get a couple of the rare blades were cool and I wonder if the plan was for that to be how you got a lot more of them but time constraints just threw them in the gacha.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CaptainPsyko posted:

“Gacha blades means every playthrough is different” is a sensible argument until you’re talking about an 80 hour JRPG that people are unlikely to finish once, much less two or more times.

Like, if it was a short game with a lot of branching paths/different ways to experience the content? Hell yeah, give me random blades, surprising and interesting combinations will make this game cooler.

But at one 80 hour run, it’s just a way to ruin the experience for some unlucky players, and to make completionists who were going to get all the blades anyway sink dozens of hours into tedious farming of that dumb cow for crystal drops.

I think the argument for keeping Gacha blades so playthroughs are different also includes making it so rare blades are actually the only ones in the pool (or insanely more likely to be pulled)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saw this on reddit, if it's real it's an A+ reference and a nice bonus in general

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Unlucky7 posted:

I am not sure what it is a reference to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swhDAs_qNfA&t=44s

it's the advance Rex gets for taking the job from the chairman to help Malos and co at the start of the game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol if you're not going to clear out absolutely every quest you can before moving to the next area

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tora is a hilarious perverted weeb and I will not stand for people calling him out like this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Takoluka posted:

Tora sucks because he has a Pyra shirt and not a Mythra shirt.

this is an acceptable criticism

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YggiDee posted:

Dunban is all 'listen to me I have the voice of a Wise Mentor figure, I am passing down my legacy and Can Never Fight Again' but the next time we see him he's a Katana Pirate screaming ELECTRIC GUTBUSTER while kicking robots in the teeth. I adore this man.

considering he's constantly talking about when he's going to be able to fight again I'm not sure your metaphor quite lands

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can I sell all the junk that monsters drop if they're not for a current or future quest or is there going to be a crafting system or something later on that I'll want them for?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

multijoe posted:

Plus you never know when a quest will need some particular drop you might have already got by accident the first time you went through an area.

Yes I do, those give me visions and are marked with a blue ! in my inventory.

CaptainPsyko posted:

You could sell that stuff, but I’ve found that just selling the huge piles of rank 1-2-3 gem crafting poo poo, plus selling weapons and armor, has given me waaaaaaay more than enough money for all of my needs, and it’s nice to have that stuff just sitting in inventory for a) future quest turnins or whatever, and b) trade fodder with NPCs that let’s me circumvent other tedious collection stuff, since I’d rather trade monster drops that aren’t useful for anything else than collectibles that I can use for my desperate affinity farm gift spam eventually.

The “materials” section of the inventory is uncapped (unlike equipment, and gem materials), and there’s basically no reason to ever scroll through it unless you are trying to find things to sell, so, what’s the point? Just leave it be.

I didn't realize they were uncapped. Am I "safe" to sell the level 2 and 3 gem stuff? Level 3 is the highest I have so far, is it just not worth crafting until I get to 4?

Also wrt trading they're not worth much so they're kind of useless there.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 7, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Valak Mountain really is the Sewer Level of this game. I'm probably gonna pump my levels to max with Expert Mode and just run through it when I get there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does gem crafting increase affinity?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

It doesn't increase it.
There's a good guide on the xenoblade wiki about how affection works and it's worth reading. Especially learning that even giving a dobercorgi to Melia increases the affinity by 22 and it's 2000 to get to level 2.

it looks like it's only 1000 to get to level 2 according to https://xenoblade.fandom.com/wiki/Affinity_(XC1)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cyks posted:

Also think having timed quests is an absolutely terrible game design for a game like this.

I think having quests that expire when they don't make sense plot-wise anymore is good tbqh.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cutscene skipping and dialogue mashing probably cuts like 30 hours at least. Massively overleveling everything after a point probably cuts a bit more and makes sidequests faster.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Omobono posted:

**they can't switch blades properly though; especially since the female AI has the wrong prioritization on driver vs elemental combos.

which one?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CaptainPsyko posted:

Both of them. The lady drivers have different AI priority from the dudes. It's incredibly dumb.

that is in fact incredibly dumb

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Takoluka posted:

Rex is a cool kid, and yet I wanted to punch him when Nia confesses to him, because come on, man.

I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think it's ok for a trilogy to be connected when the sequel was also in the same universe and there was in fact a major plot point about it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Terper posted:

I know what the Xenogears in Xenogears is, and I know what the Xenoblade in Xenoblade is, but what's the Xenosaga in Xenosaga??

The five thousand hours of cutscenes

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1534203772326617090?s=21&t=0LSAdjBo5GUxHPNMwvAosQ

New video of the environments dropped, too

Edit: I didn’t realize there was already a page for the special edition, that’ll make my life easier tomorrow:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/xenoblade-chronicles-3-special-edition-switch/

I see they included the obligatory level "gently caress you" monkey in the video so this must be a pretty early zone

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

The only comparable stabbing in the heart of a primary character in an RPG that even remotely compares is Aerith and Sephiroth so it makes sense.

I definitely audibly gasped when it happened (and then had to pause the game because I couldn't stop laughing)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't think that's the battle music like was suggested earlier but is instead the cutscene music that plays leading into a fight

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I decided to pick back up my old playthrough where I was going to try to do 100-ish percent (I might not do like every quest/unique monster or find every landmark/secret area but I'm probably gonna do as much as I can) and it's hard to remember how half the stuff in this game works optimally.

How important is weight? What's the best way to play Melia (I seem to remember that the difference between playing her vs letting the AI handle it is just absolutely massive compared to other characters)? Any just general tips I should remember or skills I should try to get?

I'm currently at the point where I can take a pod to Makna Forest on the way to Valak Mountain and figured now is a good time to do a ton of quests from the most recent city, especially to get affinity up between Melia and Sharla for the one quest that needs it in Colony 9.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

theshim posted:

I wrote up a pretty comprehensive guide on Melia over

though if all you want is the quick notes, then: Melia can have two elements up and just cycle summoning and discharging in the third slot, which makes her much more effective, and the AI is terrible at this. You'll almost always want to open fights with Summon Bolt -> Summon Copy for the huge ether boost.

awesome thank you, and good to know my initial thought on learning summon copy of "oh I just use this to double up the +ether buff huh?" was spot on

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'll play the dub as always because I'm not a coward

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also if I didn't play the dub I wouldn't have been blessed with the angry welsh catgirl

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

When should I start bothering with gems in DE? And can someone supply me with an idiots guide to making them. Specifically a guide for idiots not one made by an idiot because I could do the latter myself :v:

I just got to Sword Valley because I decided to progress to a specific point in the story that comes shortly after that before going back to do a billion sidequests/mark hunts. My equipment isn't lacking but I'm intentionally messing with my levels with Expert Mode to keep from overleveling everything and don't know if I should be bothering to optimize gems at the same time at this point.

Further challenge is added by my team being Melia/Sharla/Riki for affinity grinding purposes :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mea Tulpa posted:

Now is always a good time to make more agility up gems.

are there other gems I should be focusing on or is it all agility all the time for everyone

I have a lot of crystals

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the advice friends :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Omobono posted:

XB2:
This happens at roughly the same time the XB1 party is killing Zanza, and from Klaus' comments I think the timing was important.

it's because when Zanza dies so does Klaus and he's directly tied to the Conduit, which is what's holding like the entire world together. So Zana dies -> Klaus dies -> Conduit goes away -> if you didn't fix poo poo by now you probably can't anymore. The timing was only important because he was about to die, not because it had to happen when he dies, if I'm remembering correctly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm spoiling this for people who want to go in as blind as possible but this combat mechanic (as well as I guess probably early game world background stuff) is absolutely hilarious and probably maddening at first

from https://www.polygon.com/23197349/xenoblade-chronicles-3-preview-impressions-release-date-nintendo-switch

quote:

And as characters from each side of the conflict join together, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 feels like a similar marriage of the first two games’ combat styles. Kevesi soldiers like Noah, whose faction hails from the descendants of the titans Bionis and Mechonis, recharge their Arts on a timer just like in Xenoblade Chronicles; Agnian soldiers hailing from Alrest, like Mio, recharge their Arts with auto-attacks like you did in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harrow posted:

They've talked about that mechanic before, but the background stuff is new info I think.

IIRC the mechanic is tied to classes and where the classes originate, rather than character, so a Kevesian character like Noah can have the other kind of art recharging if he switches to an Agnian class, or vice versa.

this rules I can't wait

I've seen a lot of spoilery stuff about 3 on the xenoblade wiki while just casually looking for stuff to help with my DE playthrough but most of it was something I already assumed, fortunately. But it's pretty clear that a lot of stuff is starting to come out from the review copies.

But like for instance (don't read this if you care at all about spoilers seriously) the picture for Melia in the "other people visited" suggestions is just literally a pic of the xbc3 masked character that people were assuming could be her and her bio page has stuff about her in the game that I fortunately only ended up reading a line or so of trying to skim through the page for something else

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

Advanced voice option: Let you select the spoken language for every character individually. :getin:

this would be amazing

NPC settings are all one language or random

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

finally beat that stupid 57 unique in SV so I can move on with the game :toot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

I never figured out XC1 chain attacks in my entire time playing.

doing arts of the same color adds a multiplier to the next one if it's also the same color and high affinities make it more likely that the chain will keep going after everyone has gone once. Talent Arts (the big white one in the middle of your skill bar) are wild cards and count as and for everything, which is what makes melia's so powerful since just using hers will be a powerful attack, add to the multiplier regardless, and also make the next art (if the chain continues) add to the multiplier and set the color to that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

I'd rather they just take all the things that worked about XCX---the big party size, the class/weapon systems, mechs and exploration---than remake a game that had problems. XC3 at least sort of gives you the big party and class systems afaik.

Also the mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Now that I have my full team together I've been going through sidequests for some "easy" affinity gain and good lord some of the things you have to do to get to the 4th skill tree for some people is absurd and I hope that's not something they bring back.

I like the idea behind the town affinity system and all but having a quest being locked behind not only having specific people registered but talking to one of them (after they're all registered) at a specific time of day to progress their affinity to a specific point is just a level too deep for me.