Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh boy, can't wait to see the reactions of those who haven't played this yet.

Same hat. People experiencing this for the first time is always good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’ll snatch the voice acting trivia post this time.

Diana is voiced by Eden Riegel here. Her other roles include Estelle from Tales of Vesperia, Devola and Popola in NieR: Automata (under a pseudonym, Claudia Lenz), and Isabeau in Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Phi is the only one of these three to have their voice actress reprise the role from VLR. She is voiced by Karen Strassman, who also voiced Aigis in Persona 3 (and spinoffs), Kallen in Code Geass, Rouge the Bat in the Sonic franchise starting with Colo(u)rs, and all the Annas in Fire Emblem.

Sigma is voiced by Matt Mercer in this game. In VLR he was unvoiced to not spoil the plot twists, but there was an OVA in which he was voiced by Troy Baker instead. Mercer’s other roles include IT’S HIGH NOON McCree in Overwatch, Jotaro Kujo in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, and Chrom in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Also he’s the DM of Critical Role. How does such a prolific man exist; are we sure he’s real?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Cloacamazing! posted:

The reason Junpei is acting so different from 999 is that actually he's Santa.

https://twitter.com/ZeroEscapePosts/status/1258480470662221828

(There’s also going to be major spoilers for this game on that twitter, of course — but this particular one is for 999).

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 25, 2020

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Junpei posted:

I've played this game so I know what happens, and I'll keep quiet, but for now my vote is on Healing Room for D-Team.

This is where I'm voting too. I'm a sucker for D-Team and the Healing Room is honestly the best fragment to illustrate something someone said that I can't find.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

No, clearly the real killer is the US health insurance system. If it didn’t exist or Maria was otherwise able to get treatment Carlos wouldn’t be here and Junpei would be fine.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

W.T. Fits posted:

Life is certainly unfair. Don't you think?

It is.

Although this reminds me... every time this line has appeared so far it's been "simply unfair".

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Are these choices, like the coin flip and the gunshot just now that are clearly 50/50 and split up the story points ACTUALLY 50/50 or do they happen in a set order? The diagram is pretty clear that there's a timeline where Sigma gets hit with a blank (or it's just too early and my brain hasn't unfogged yet so I missed something) and thus survives, so does he always get shot the first time?

The coin flip is rigged so that you call it correctly and get the ending and credits the first time, then lose and get the opening and the rest of the game the second time.

I know how this event works, but I won’t reveal that information at this time.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DKII posted:

As far as I know, the gunshot is like which case has the antidote - it's randomly set each time you enter the scene. I heard of one case where it took several tries to get the other option to happen.

A small group of friends I know got the other result here three or four times before finally getting this one. So that’s two cases.

But yes as far as anyone knows this is actually random.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Changing Q Team’s vote won’t do us any good right now - if we want to get a different execution result we should change D Team’s vote.

That said, Pod Room. My usual MO is to try to get unpleasant things out of the way, so let’s suffer Eric now in order to be freer later.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Radical-6, not Rhizome 6.

Meanwhile, while Dio technically did those things of his own accord, he was acting on orders from presumably Brother, an otherwise uninvolved party.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 13, 2020

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

quote:

Phi, this is a drill press, not a lathe.

Also you might as well call this whole puzzle room Diana Bakuhatsu.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let’s not forget that this also casts Diana and Sigma in a real negative light. They’re both trying their best of course, but Diana taking a page from the Book of the Ex and getting drunk and Sigma not letting Diana tell her own story are pretty “maybe don’t do this in a relationship”.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Try 20291116.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:yeah:

I didn't really like ZTD, looking back, and I remember this being a problem specifically.

It doesn't help that at least 4/9 of the characters are assholes and Phi has spent most of the game dead.

The way Phi is treated in this game is my single biggest problem with it.

I’m not sure who your 4th jerk is after Eric, Mira, and Junpei, though...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

In ZTD Phi technically has six Escapes she can be a part of, since she's with you for the initial three doors, and then you can pair up with her after Magenta or Yellow, and then she has another Escape further on in her own route.

Magenta route doesn’t give you an option to team up with Phi per se, but she gets a Round 3 room like the one in her route.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Eeepies posted:

Oh god DIana is going to realize Sigma's her husband, Phi's her daughter, and the mastermind is her son, right?

You’re correct but it’s also only barely in the top 5 most awkward things someone morphogenetically remembered here. I have on opinion on what #1 is, but... for now I’ll just let it sit.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ultimately yeah Phi not getting to do a whole lot is one of my major problems with these two games.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I want to point out these two lines:

”Zero Time Dilemma” posted:

JUNPEI: Whatever. We gotta call the cops!

DELTA: And what exactly will that accomplish?

This hits different nowadays...

e: beaten spectacularly, with fists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

rko posted:

There are so many baffling choices here, and while the Zero Escape series isn’t known for its thoughtful realism, VLR and 999 hang together—both of those games have some very silly plot issues, but none that stuck out so bad that it took me out of the story.

There is someone I know that had their disbelief not just suspended but violently expelled when they learned about the moon twist in VLR - I don’t recall the whole story accurately but they’d been following Fedule’s LP thread, someone brought up “are we on the moon” with no reasoning or context, many of the other posters latched on to the theory, but it didn’t make sense to them at all. And when it turned out to be correct...