Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
This game looks awesome but I've heard the translation is very spotty overall. Are there signs of it being fixed up over time, or is it likely to stay as is? Wondering how hard it'd be to follow things along and understand the mechanics properly, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Tae posted:

The translation for the actual combat is decent enough, half the walls of text when you click on a skill is just explaining the key words.

The translation for the story is being updated weekly, it doesn't really get kinda loopy until near the end when Spoonisms go deep into The Feast and Spoon in your Heart.

Good enough for me, then! I'll get it and keep an eye out, it looked like it had a ton of promise months ago and it's only gonna get better with time. :)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

This game seems right up my alley, but I'm seeing people complain about the translation being bad. How bad are we talking? If it's just like a Persona 5 kinda awkward wording once in a while, I'm good.

The beginning is really, really rough still and probably due for a major editing pass, so it makes a bad first impression. After that, though, it's mostly just awkward wording and typos. I would absolutely pledge :20bux: to a kickstarter that promised a full quality manual translation tbqh, the game's story is so lowkey good that it deserves full effort.

---

Unrelatedly, man this game owns. It just needs a bit more of a balancing pass to make a couple characters more consistent but nobody is actually bad and it's kind of amazing to me. Like Albus has probably the most issues (because Magic Knight is too glassy/vulnerable to block and Grand Swordsman desperately needs 100% bladestorm so it has a good way to punch through Block with Combo Attack), and even then he can reliably be counted upon to go onto a side of the map, hold it solo, and then bug out to go do the same elsewhere whenever the team needs him to. Isn't Dandylion like, five guys? It's insane that they made such a good game with so few people.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

I choose to believe the reason attacks are so nonlethal is that magic makes people so tanky that equipment evolved to employ it after someone saw battle mages do their thing and nowadays any combatants enjoy a baseline level of beefiness far in excess of what a civilian can have. Certainly lines up with how civilians hit by criminals aren't marked as unconscious, they go straight to 'dead' if their HP is drained.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

I'm getting ready to tackle the latest Violent Case, can you guys hook me up with the builds for your squads? I could really use some builds for Anne, Heixing, Ray and Leton in particular. They're all useful, but I feel like I could could push them way harder. I'd also love some tips on where to get the armor mods for drones so I can add a tanky boi to my squad, Albus and Irene are p solid but they're not really capable of handling snipers without stacking a billion cover bonuses and smokes to protect them on the approach.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ooh, that Ray looks pretty spiffy. Do you use the heal cloud with her, or one of the two debuff clouds instead?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, Barbarian Alisa friggin' owns, pretty much my one character that is Sniper, Destron, Draki and Spider-Hell certified without needing to change builds to kick rear end against any of those threats.

Alchemist Ray with the Scholar masteries is really fantastic if you want to train beasts/drones. Haven't tried to use her potions upgrade though, so let us know how that goes.

On that note, is there any way to get better gear for her that isn't crafting? That default sword of hers is kinda long in the tooth out the gate

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Speaking of crafting stuff, is there an easier way to get more training manuals than just crafting them? I never thought it'd happen, but I'm finally starting to run low. 50 manuals or so per board reset adds up FAST, man.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

keep in mind, the only way to unlock drone masteries is to 100% the enemy info on drone enemies. that means even starting with drones has a heavy grinding requirement.

Importantly, this means you can't allow drones to berserk because they will kill themselves, which afaik does not award information. It's a pain in the rear end is what it is.

MotU posted:

I feel like I sorta got the hang of the game a little but that my tactics are slowly starting to get outdone. I've been relying on Irene counter-attacking every melee enemy to death for like 2-3k damage per counter and then Heixing/Giselle killing the ranged

Have you gotten Catharsis + One Shot One Kill yet? It's a vital combo to enable you to go hard on the enemy team, and allows for your mages to participate in battle too. I can share some of my current builds if you need some suggestions.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

MotU posted:

yeah ive gotten cathatsis and have started spreading it around with 1s1k but would still love to see builds! Heixing kills like 10 enemies per turn now but anything to make everyone stronger would be Cool

I'll go right ahead and share some of my key builds then! Hopefully you find them useful :)

If this isn't the best build for Albus it's drat close. It strongly wants a good weapon with high hitchance and ideally high speed (The Sword of Grace is your best bet for this I think), but when it pops off, it pops off. Impressively tanky and consistent, it's managed to solo all the skulls and Hellfire on 46v for me before, and swept half the map in 50v. Terrible against robots, but that's just Albus' situation by default. Still worth using in any fight regardless, though.

A fairly standard Irene build, but it's standard because of how useful it is. Before the DLC, your team is likely to be chronically short of tanks, which are sorely needed to stabilize maps by holding masses of enemies at bay and creating a focal point for your ranged characters to nuke from. While both Sion and Irene can fill the role of co-tank with Albus, Irene is better suited for it because Martial Artist, while super fun and flashy, is generally worse than being straight up unkillable and immune to crits. With this setup, you can send Irene off to solo a chunk of any map and then let Albus hold the line for the rest of the characters fairly consistently, which speeds things up quite a bit. Which leads us to the artillery side of things...

EDIT: Oh, this is an old screenshot. You can remove Prior Planning for Breakthrough or any other mastery of your choice that ISN'T One Shot One Kill (as that one will make the build significantly worse by making it attack before filling up its magic power stacks). So it can be even stronger if you like! You can also use Phoenix instead of Second Heart, if you think Irene can consistently survive long enough to stabilize herself and enjoy multiple revivals per mission.

Based on a goon build posted earlier, this Heixing is absolutely disgusting. Darkness Hunter enemies annoy him, but don't limit him nearly as much as you might think. Of note is that he can effectively tank any ranged units, because cover move makes him so indestructible from afar. Just keep melees off him and he'll clean house. As a bonus, he synergizes perfectly with Albus, setting him up to chain dozens of turns.

Fair warning that this build requires a solid chunk of crit damage % to shine. Crafted gear can be a huge help here. If you can get Ray that though, she can sweep whole squads of enemies wholesale. Due to how her masteries synergize, you want to ideally always hit an enemy who's tanky and one who'll die instantly with every move, since that'll get you two AP per attack, allowing you to reposition and control the battlefield. She makes for an excellent scout, provides great utility, brings guilt-free EMP grenades to control machines with, and as a bonus, all her aoe blasts inflict AT delay, so enemies just don't get to fire back. Be very careful to manage the insanely aggressive playstyle Reckless Charge encourages with reasonable safety precautions though -- if she gets caught out she's likely to die twice in a row because she can end up so far away from help.

PS: Worth noting btw is that it's worth taking time to unlock Giselle's hunter class and use it to grab a Tima and raise it up quickly. While the class itself is far inferior to Sniper, it possesses a mastery that helps speed up pet growth, and a Galcier Tima provides a third frontliner that allows both Albus and Irene to branch out while still giving Anne and Ray someone to support and nuke around of. If you want a unit that does the same as the Glacier Tima, but even more out of the box, the Albino Negoori is super busted as heck, if a bit glassier, thanks to its ability to spam Forestallment attacks that freeze enemies that try to melee it.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 7, 2021

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

MotU posted:

Can you give me what skills you use on Irene and weapon if possible? Build seems cool as heck but not sure what I should be shooting for

That build is currently using the flying kick, her aoe move, and most importantly her move that denies blocking, which helps chew through tanky enemies. For a weapon, she's using the Golden Bangle. ESP is a lot more valuable on this build than Attack, so favor that if possible.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

The story is excellent, idk what y'all are on

It benefits a lot from doing a second runthrough, because it's A) achronological, and B) asks you to fill in a lot of blanks because a lot of times it works by implication. The translation makes this harder than it should be, but even so it's fairly easy to dig deeper into it and have some :asoiaf: moments.

For example (MAJOR STORY SPOILERS) The moment you realize the leader of the Spoonists was actually the bodyguard to Bianca's grandfather, who infiltrated on his order and then went native and tried to save the cult with the info he had, you go HOLY poo poo. When you then take that info and play through the scene where John and Carter talk to each other, you suddenly realize why John trusted 'some random' -- 'Sharky' was actually the second of three leaders of the cult, and John is hoping that Carter will grow to take care of the flock just as Robert, the second Sharky, did, because he feels like he's not qualified to be a leader compared to Carter, Robert or Ramjist, and he knows the cult needs a wildcard at the helm who can do something Edward doesn't expect to stop them from getting massacred as part of his plans. There's a billion other moments like that sprinkled throughout the game and every single one is a massive dopamine rush as you piece together the full story of the Abandoned Children project. It's practically an extra game layer unto itself and it owns owns owns.

quote:

Awesome I wasn't sure on ESP over attack because while everything is spelled out the game is like very dense/deep with stuff like that so I can never be too sure. Would she be using the whole Gold Bangle et? Sorry for so many questions

You want to use 2 pieces of the Gold /Gloves/ set to get stun immunity (IIRC I used the gold molar charm and I think the wristguard?), because that saves a mastery slot and Irene can spare absolutely none of them as a battle mage, but yes. Between 3piece Light of Magic and 2piece Light of Martial Arts, she'll become extremely tanky and super consistent at dealing damage.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 11, 2021

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

I guess it would be kinda cool, if all this was delivered via actually competent writing and interesting characters. Even after reading your spoiler I have no idea which of these names belong to which of the dozen nearly identical masked dudes. Carter is the Totally-Not-From-King-of-Fighters guy, right?

Yes. I suggest replaying from the top and paying attention, honestly. 'I stopped caring and didn't try to follow things' is a user flaw, not a flaw in the story. The initial bits are fairly mundane, but they do some valuable setup, and the story truly grows with every single mission just like the gameplay and difficulty do, even the optional ones. I was fairly unimpressed early on as well, but sticking with it paid off big time because the developers' game became more and more apparent as they peeled back the curtain on the power games being played around the troubleshooting company.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Having problems with the story makes sense but like the characters are the charming bit imo, saying the flaw lies with there seems a bit off to me

Also this. If there's one piece of Troubleshooter's writing that is immediately and obviously good, it's how deeply it cares for every single person introduced. Nobody's presented as 'just' an rear end in a top hat or 'just' a criminal, everybody has loved ones and friends and reasons for what they do and the game takes its time to explore that. The level of attention to detail for everybody's stories, even the minor antagonists is super lovely. It's down to the point where their unique equips tell you stuff like how their comrades reacted to them getting a job promotion, even! I can't imagine looking at like, the first five missions, seeing how the leader dude among the cultists you're supposed to be fighting genuinely cares for the poor sods he's sending out to get their asses beaten, and not getting at least a little bit interested in what's going on. Most games can't even bother to do that much for their antagonists.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Kata-Haro posted:

And relatedly the only thing Albus is dating is his goddamned work.

What I love about Albus is he looks like this super generic shonenesque hero

And then you realize he's actually a clever, calculating bastard and that the only reason he's taking on the insane workload he puts the company through is because he knows that nothing short of a meteoric rise will allow him to reach a high security clearance in less than a decade. What drives him isn't justice or whatever, it's the fact he knows exactly how difficult it'll be to uncover info on his father, he has a plan, and he loving hates it when he has to do an audible from something he clearly thought out and prepared himself for. It's even implied that the whole reason he's so nice and polite to everyone isn't just because he's a good boy but also because he knows he'll need godlike PR to secure promotions. The way he straight up slacked and skipped work back at Black Pearl when he thought he was being trolled by Giselle is what makes it really obvious.

quote:

Carter's deal with Edward: Carter's job was just doing the high-profile terrorist attacks, right? In order to stir up chaos and allow the Troubleshooters to swoop in and save everyone? It's when he kills Sharky 2 that he breaks with Edward.

Do we know what he asked for in the original deal with Edward?

AFAIK, yes to the first bit and second (which was also meant to make the police look good in the end). Re: Killing Robert, I think that might actually have been part of the arrangement as well, since Robert was a rogue element. I think the break is when he becomes the third Sharky and specifically pulls the cultists out of the city, as the game is completely rigged for them there. Note how in the cutscenes after completing For Me, the final mission of the base game, mayor Karl mostly centers the concept of the documentary on the White Tiger Gang's shutdown, implying that the Spoonism project went off the rails. As for what he asked for, I'll have to get back to you on this. Gotta replay the game a bit cuz I'm not quite sure myself.

And yeah, it's kinda telling that this latest DLC is all about the bromance between Hanson and Sanson, and also how Renzy helps his boss out in lowkey ways. Did we need to spend time giving backstory and personality to these new bad dudes? No, but Troubleshooter be like that, and it's awesome. And it's definitely hilarious how Ray is hella straight and yet has probably the closest relationship with another woman out of any person in the cast. Her and Dianne's friendship is just :kimchi:

MotU posted:

What attacks of hers are classified as ESP besides the Fireball? you'd also only be able to use Uniform/Sneakers on her for Light of Martial Artist since the other set is Jacket/Boots which she can't wear. I figured her attacks were classified as Melee mostly so go 2 Light of Magic and 3 Light of Martial Artist but I could be wrong in what attack counts as what

When you mouse over an attack on the character sheet, it has a section that says 'Damage Type'. If it says 'fire', then it doesn't matter if it's melee or ranged and will count as an esp attack. Physical attacks are Slashing, Blunt or Piercing. Also whoops, I think you can 3piece Light of Magic by going Ring/Bangle/Trinket but you're right about this! My current setup goes with the full 5p Light of Martial Arts setup so Leton can use my bangle and ring and it kinda feels almost better, since the only move of hers that isn't melee with my current setup is the super accurate aoe. So you can definitely go with that if you need it! It's fairly nice for Irene anyway IMO.

ZearothK posted:

My favorite implicit theory is that John is Sion's missing brother, Visha. Not only is their hair and build similar, but Visha is meant to be this awesome badass who disappeared off screen and Sion mentions Visha for the first time in the mission where John also shows up for the first time as the toughest enemy in the game thus far.

:aaa: I gotta replay this game from scratch and verify this! It 's such a wild idea but I wouldn't put it past Dandylion. Fuckin' Troubleshooter!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

Does anyone have any advice for dealing with the Destrons in the level 50 violent mission? They wiped almost my whole team and I was forced to send Albus on a suicide charge to take down the last human boss to trigger the retreat option.

From what I could tell, they were immune to reaction fire, counter-attacked at range and close, didn't take damage below a certain threshold, and were resistant to hacking. Anne's entangle spell also did not seem to have an effect. If I could isolate one, I'm pretty sure I could send it into AT hell with suppressive effects, but that's not really an option when there seem to be four of them.

Three, but the answer is to send a Ray with Run, Reckless Charge and Best Condition straight at the machine bays you see them at in the cutscene. The Destrons Firewall (shutdown immunity) for 3 turns upon sighting an enemy. Due to her enormous AT reducers and speed, Ray with that setup can run into the mech bay, aggro all the destrons, and get the hell out by running cross map aggroing everyone else before even a single enemy can take a turn. Afterward, you can just kite the destrons by leaning hard to the other side of the map while they slowly chase you until they catch up to you and hit them with EMP grenades. The rest is easy cleanup. Fighting them before outlasting their firewall is seriously not adviced.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

whoops yeah, I forgot to say you have to start up north to do the firewall pop trick

You wouldn't think the northern side would be useful at all cause it gets you popped by snipers normally, but once you know about how mean the destrons are, it's surprisingly sensible to aggro them early and then basically cut a swathe through the map before standing your ground against them. Nice work putting them out of commission!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

ZearothK posted:

So, yesterday was Troubleshooter's anniversary and there were a bunch of interviews and stuff in Korean media. This one in particular talks a bit about the game and future plans.

Misty Jager (who has shown up a grand total of two times in story frames, she's the pink haired girl who works with Sion's brother and her character card is at the end of the article) is namedropped as a future character with the Rogue (and probably have Assassin and something else as advanced classes) core class, but it is uncertain if they will be the 12th character or part of the season 2 cast.

Speaking of Season 2, it will continue to follow Albus' company, this time with a permit to operate outside the Windwall District while remaining headquartered in there, so we'll get to see more of the setting. Characters should all be getting a third advanced class. Dandylion has said that they wanted to make it an expansion-sized DLC, but that a standalone game should have more exposure on Steam, so that will be the likely path forward. On the business side they're seeing about securing financing for the second title and are considering crowdfunding and Steam Early Access as options, but nothing is set in stone.

As for paid DLC, there should be a costume DLC and the 12th character, which honestly I feel it is more than fair. Black Witch & White Lion should have been paid content for starters.

Anyways, no dates for anything!

Inordinately excited for this and hoping one of the options for crowdfunding if they go that way is 'will hire a korean/english translator to work on the game's script'

Troubleshooter is such a good game with such a cool story that it's a shame I can't recommend it to people who I know would love its setting without reservations due to the shaky TL. If Banished Children can avoid this problem I may straight up buy a bunch of copies to get more goons to try it!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

It's crazy how apparently the sales I've helped drive by shilling this game to other people have mattered, at least in a small way. Never stop telling people about this game, goons! Super excited for the crab rave, and also to throw some more $$$ at Dandylion with the new character's release. Hopefully they launch a kickstarter soon so I can tell people to throw some money at it. I've rarely ever wanted a studio to succeed this much, but Dandylion's created a very charming game and I want more like it in my life. :)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok into the game enough to get the warehouse (I'm going to assume the workshop they're talking about is a later upgrade).
This game seems glorious in many ways but also it has a ton of mechanics and doesn't do the best job of explaining them (I don't know how I'm supposed to actually research masteries).
And yeah, the first missions are really easy. But then Shark comes along and OHKOs Sion and makes me feel like a complete idiot.

You research masteries by resarching your enemies, basically. The gist of it is that enemies have a chance to drop the masteries they use, and once fully researched, all of their masteries become craftable provided you can also craft an prerequisites. So by beating up bad dudes you'll gradually unlock cool new poo poo to do with your own guys. :)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Ice utility martial artist Leton IS super high value (my Leton works like that and he was one of the rocks upon which my sightread run of 54V rested, facetanked destrons like a king), but there's a lot of other things you can do for him too.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's tedious busywork. it doesn't add any depth or useful complexity. eventually i just gave myself a few thousand of the lowest level masteries so i could craft whatever i wanted and actually experiment with builds.

It's not super obvious, but the reason the mastery system is as it is is to sustain a gameplay loop of 'make new builds, go grind to replenish stocks and get to experiment with the new builds, repeat'. I don't think it's 100% successful, but that's the intent I think. The game would work just fine if they let people go hogwild though -- Troubleshooter has some rough edges but what it does right nobody else is even trying to get down correctly, never mind succeeding at it like Dandylion does. If they lean into it and get a professional translator this is a game I think can scratch an itch for a LOT of gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

And even then, Shooter Street is getting finished eventually. Its goal was to be a multiplayer hub...and that's exactly the big goal Dandylion wants to deliver on. Once that system is in place, that will pay off all the lingering promises Troubleshooter still hasn't fulfilled.

(Relatedly, I am super excited for coop mode troubleshooter. Being able to play a campaign with two teams of characters, each one customized to the tastes of an individual player, seems like an actual dream)