Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, doing 2 damage basically means "welp, gently caress those guys" without having to blow an ember on magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einwand posted:

I've come around to the candle crew on virtue of getting some of their unlockable cards/relics which are significantly better than their starting ones are. I still feel like the hellhorned champion is the weakest of the lot, though, needs too much support in any of the 3 modes to work consistently from turn 1.

Yeah, the Hellhorned champion really feels the weakest overall. You really have to baby him and honestly if you're giving that level of babying there are other units probably more worthwhile. The multistrike is nice but not THAT nice especially since you can use tomes to give it to someone more worthwhile

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Smiling Demon posted:

Just made it to ascension 14, unlocked all the cards except what are presumably the 2nd/3rd forms of the legion of wax and some neutrals.

I have had the most success with the stygian and with a little know-how they are fairly tanky. For general purposes the titan sentry with health and endless makes for a brutal disposable tank. If you get the double incant artifact you can do some very messed up things, even winning the game with a sap based build and the sap totem.

Hellhorned has the most problems IMO as the champion requires some very specific builds to work. The armour on slay works with spikes and can produce hilarious results if you are hellhorned/awoken, but that is an awfully niche use. Multistrike is ok, but he isn't much better than an animus of will under ideal circumstances and much worse under regular circumstances after card upgrades. The attack on slay is nice but fragile and quickly gets outshined by other units. My last hellhorned run was hellhorned/umbra, and I quickly transitioned to focusing on an overgorger given the chance - the run was strong, but the champion was fodder.

I've never used the umbra architect champion as I'm not quite sure what to do with it - set up a feeding floor in which the champion is in the middle? I often run into the 7 unit limitation so it doesn't seem wise to put a unit in just for the capacity.

The most luck I've had with the Umbra champion is his Gorge abilities and maybe adding Trample in. He can scale absurdly fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest the weird thing I think is that things like Holdover don't have any drawbacks. It feels like there are three kinds of upgrades: Small upgrades with no drawbacks, big upgrades with drawbacks (huge power boost + consume or numbers boost but takes up an extra slot) and then upgrades which are just plain strong without any drawbacks.

I think it mostly just needs a balance tuneup more than anything. Right now the priorities for certain things are way off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I've only played a few rounds and I can absolutely tell you Permafrost can be a straight up carry. I hosed up the fight against the unit strength draining Seraph I deserved to lose but having the Permafrost never expires artifact mixed with the card that hoovers up all Permafrost on a floor onto one guy and doubles it (i.e. onto the boss) were such a strong combo I simply could not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory no matter how hard I had screwed up.

I think you're confusing Frostbite and Permafrost there. Permafrost is "card remains in your hand."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Should I just be playing on the highest covenant I have unlocked or grind out on lower difficulties to some point?

Whichever you prefer. Some of the unlockable artifacts or cards are pretty significant game changers but it isn't like you can't win with 'starting decks.'

I'd recommend keeping going up until you stop having fun/get frustrated and then take a break at a lower level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

drat, Dante is a monster. After you complete his quest, he joins you and gives you his cloak as an artifact. The cloak is +2 magic power per blight in your deck (including the three he put there in the first place). As a unit, he's a 3/10 that gets 1 stack of multihit per blight in your deck.

Yeah if you can give Dante one of the big damage/Hp upgrades he basically becomes a tiny god.

Especially if you can duplicate him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

I have no idea how the remnants are supposed to work but I will keep trying!

I thought I'd get a buffed dude and let him die over and over to keep reforming him but then he kept not dying until I needed him in the final wave. Also I got resolve to reform on my champion only to realize by putting him on the middle floor he resolves before my tanks on the bottom floor die leaving the middle floor screwed for the final wave.

It depends a lot on the unit you want to use. Stuff with low Burnout tends to be the easiest to boost that way while things with higher burnout either need to be put into extremely risky situations or not treated as disposable and instead focus on buffing their burnout numbers with various boosting cards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Am I supposed to try to buff up my dregs? I tried that but then they'd just not be sticky enough for the final wave again.

I tend not to. Pretty much all the unique starting cards are kind of early game filler and should probably be trimmed from your deck. If you're running a Reform version of the champion you might get a few boosted ones regardless but generally you'd be better off having useful stuff being reformed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Which is bettter?

I prefer plating. Having the extra wiggle room to allow an enemy or two past your third floor without suffering for it makes things a lot less stressful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reap feels pretty goddamn insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even more goddamn insane is the alt-champ for the new clan.

One of their path trees begins with "Return one consumed spell to hand after combat" and ends with "Has 100 attack, return 2 Consumed spells to hand after combat." I expect this to get nerfed into the ground because effectively getting two free Endless versions of Consumed spells without wasting a spell slot (or allowing the +20 MP + Consume thing to be more insane) leads to some hilarious combinations. I did a run where I was just tossing out god-nukes every turn to the point I didn't bother recruiting more than two monsters because combat never actually involved anything *attacking*