Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Got the Sans Seraph cheevo (kill Seraph before combat) out of nowhere on a ridiculous covenant 8 run.

Deeplink

Two Quick+Multistrike Shadowsiege getting dropped on the middle floor for free was still raw disgusting luck. Slap on Onehorn and Furnace Tap and then I just Cave In'd them into Seraph or vice-versa a couple times while ignoring the trash. Maker/Master/Monstrous up top was entirely irrelevant, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

This one might have been exceptionally fast because it was literally just dropping a Shadowsiege on whatever floor and mashing spacebar for a few turns. It's just a habit from playing on lunch breaks.

Here was a C1 warmup earlier in the day though and I guess my highest scoring run in three weeks since I started playing.

Deeplink

Same idea. Make a beefy card -> dupe it -> go fast. 200+ armor on hornyboi is what carried it though.

Having the game show the math helps a ton too.

Edit: I can't find the run with the Largestone+Endless+Minimized(? The one slot event upgrade) Legion of Wax. Infinite beef.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 14, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Khorne posted:

I'm extremely jealous of your game times more than anything. Wish deep links had replays of rounds and maybe even in-between rounds.

You wouldn't be jealous of my ~20% win rate though. I make a lot of dumb mistakes and wish the game had a simple undo button all the time. I lose fast too, like 6 minutes to Daedalus tops.

I have the worst misclicks. I took +3 rage instead of demons have multistrike when running a largestone Deranged Brute behind my prince. Can't scum non-battle stuff best I can tell.

I just want one goddamn Hellhorned/Stygian win.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

I just want one goddamn Hellhorned/Stygian win.

DL

C1 because I just wanted it marked done, lol. I should have a twitch vod of this one.

Twitch vod. (Automatic forum embed is trying to do the channel, not the highlight?)

The one hilarious misclick is taking Imp-olate by accident because I wanted that capacity so bad. I also never put a third upgrade in anything because I entirely forgot that was my second relic.

Ranzear posted:

Two Quick+Multistrike Shadowsiege getting dropped on the middle floor for free was still raw disgusting luck.

Apparently this is the current WR strat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJOEAN8HR0

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 14, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Liizard posted:

With the changes in the beta branch, a Wrathful Hornbreaker Prince combined with a Deranged Brute is absolutely broken.

I'm not even on the beta branch. Seems it was kinda broken beforehand too.

I thought to switch over, but it comes out in two days anyway.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

No Wave posted:

Melted still makes no sense to me. They seem to have two things going for them, burnout rector and molded (ok stealth torch is good). Burnout Rector with five stacks of burnout and a holdover molded puts 2175 damage on seraph all by himself. It is ridiculous. If I don't get burnout I just lose sadly.

Don't let him burn out. Put a Lady of the Reformed in front of him so by the time she goes down he's got 20+ turns to wreck face. Notice her Burnout +1 is Revenge, meaning every time she gets hit, so throw health upgrades on her. She's really easy to overlook.

Edit: Misinterpreted half your post, this is still relevant though.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 15, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Endless Legion leaves the splits on the field, but I've never thought to use Intent on Death (I think both are rare though).

Edit: Another silly gottagofast run, this time with multistrike Shattered Shell and Burn Bright III getting fed a metric assload of waxen spikes, and then the Devourer blew up for 435 damage to finish the job. It was honestly hard to get things to die for Melted Memories to feed the spikes.

DL

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 15, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Also be aware there are two different but similar-looking blight card events. One just puts trash in one's deck (the one with the dudes locked to pillars) while there's a different one that offers some cane relic and blights that I've never taken, or three Calicified Embers. Do not confuse these events because only the latter will upgrade the cards later. A battle or two after the latter, all Calcified Embers will become Excavated Ember, just like from the rare Umbra card but permanent. Don't purge the embers if one wants them upgraded though.

I had at least one run where I habitually clicked the Calcified Embers but it was the prior event, which just makes purging blight cards deal 100 damage to the front unit. If it were all units it might be worthwhile. The other options from that event are even worse, like +1 attack on all units per blight card. 100% hard no on that event.

There just aren't enough good reliable interactions for me to ever take blight cards except the Calcified upgrade one. Dante is too rare and still kinda super iffy in value to me, and it sure seems like one only gets one of these three events in any given run, or worse one gets Dante and one's best choice from either of the other events is gonna remove the blights from their deck later anyway. There is no outcome that isn't counterproductive in some way that I've seen.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Right, but both of those Calcified Ember cases rely on getting either that one Fel variant or Dante to show up at all, else it's just trash in one's deck because most other blight cards come from <5hp enemies which should be well enough handled or one has other problems (and are you really gonna let them hit your Pyre just for a chance they come up for the boss?) And that's already running up hard against my point that I never seem to get more than one blight card related event per run regardless. At least Calcified Ember can be gotten rid of easily. That the Calcified Embers are 3 ember one-shots kinda ruins it too.

I'm not about to expect that kind of best-case in Monster Train, no matter how much more optimistic it is. StS would starve me of even the most basic bare-minimum for some combo often enough that I stopped playing it entirely (even aside from having way too many "Take 5 damage because rnggently caress you!" events in the mix, on reflection and comparison.)

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 15, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Right, but now one needs to over-consider whether they should purge them or it's the same kind of banking on whether you'll see anything compatible come up. I think it's overplanning. 3 ember 100 damage can be useful for the immediate battle, but that requires ignoring the later pure-chance potential.

There are no trash battles or ? rooms one can casually limp through and bide time like in StS. One is basically going into an elite every time and putting unmitigated trash in the deck is a far harder choice, at least to me.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 15, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That's still a back-footed case though, at least for me. 3 ember for 100 damage that is too likely to be eaten by trash because for some reason I have spare energy and no better way to apply it is a losing situation. If I'm far enough into the game to have that event come up but still need 100 front unit damage from a card, something is fucky.

That's why I mentioned it'd be better if it was all-enemies, but I can see now how that'd be broken in some still rare cases. A good change would be all enemies, but damage is based on the cost of the card.

Edit: I think that's where Monster Train is such an enjoyable departure from Spire, actually. There are so few truly bad events absolutely no 'get hosed vs get double hosed' choices. The event we're discussing is easily the most skippable/ignorable one in the game, and defintiely not one I actively pursue. Contrast with the Max/Min one that gives two loving awesome choices. StS was so focused on grinding the player down and loving them over that it's almost Stockholm Syndrome to accept the prior as a 'good' event.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 15, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

untzthatshit posted:

I had a run recently where I ran into that event where it adds purge to a card, and I chose a Steward as usual forgetting that I had the daisy artifact that makes cards with purge have consume instead. There's some potential in that combo for sure...

It's only +20/+20. The spell railspike is +20 power and makes it zero cost as well. Getting the Daisy and then removing the consume means you get 1 cost and +20 power but it's eating both upgrade slots so maybe a wash. The monster one would be better if it also gave 0 cost, so the best use case is probably an unupgraded multihit spell.

On that note, however, it's good to point out that all event upgrades ignore upgrade slots, so use them on fully upgraded stuff as often as possible. This also applies to Automatic Railspikes and Spikedriver Colony: Upgrade them before you start making copies! Those upgrades will also be applied to all copies made and still there after the whole set gets upgraded.

I have a bit of a process now where I only look at the shop, not buy anything yet, then check caverns. This helps make event choices towards what can be immediately improved better than just which shop is immediately available.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Meanwhile Onehorn's Tome is dumpster tier now. That nerf would make sense if it was 3 energy, tops.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jedit posted:

What was the nerf? I thought it went from 5 to 6 cost.

Still 5 cost, but now applies "Fragile", the unit will die if it loses any health.

I assume stacking armor prevents 'health loss', but now there's too much external support for the card to still cost 5. It could cost 4 as an uncommon.

Contrast with Furnace Tap, which costs 2 and also gives rage 3 and by the time you're ready to play it the emberdrain isn't a huge downside. Hell, Emberdrain is an irrelevant mechanic if you just get a bunch of Perils of Production and draw, which IMO is the best way to play Umbra because gorge scales so slowly. Immortal Trade is so nice in this setup too.

And ... what the poo poo? Perils of Production gives 3 ember now instead of just 2. What a hilariously unnecessary buff on a common. This is now the only way to play Umbra.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear posted:

And ... what the poo poo? Perils of Production gives 3 ember now instead of just 2. What a hilariously unnecessary buff on a common. This is now the only way to play Umbra.

DL

lol, yup...

500+ damage from rage with trample was loving unstoppable even against purifying Seraph. I didn't even get or need Furnace Tap.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah that's a combo I've always figured needed a toning down. It's bad enough that you'd need a Swift unit for it to not be guaranteed to apply the effect, but then it has a fuckton of health, more than any regular unit can put out let alone sweep units.

I don't even know how to see them coming yet, else I'd actually plan ahead for once and make sure I have Resin Removal or something, or just be playing something like that Umbra deck above and just ignore it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That's a Fel variant, not a Seraph variant. Seraph is only buff stripping, sap, or spell consume. They aren't in that Fel variant. I think they're in the second-to-last battle.

So yeah, those guys just sneak up on you.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't think I've run into Spell Consume Seraph in like ten runs. You're probably right.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

To be faaaair... Any run I have that gets to Seraph either completely facerolls him and I don't even notice the mechanics, or is a complete loving clown fiesta because he's hard countering me and I will lose with him either having still more than 2000hp or less than 100hp (confirmation bias I'm sure.)

I'll definitely acknowledge that paying attention to what mechanics are coming up would help my winrate, but they just don't loving matter at all on most of my good ones that it's almost more fun to just ignore them and go for the broken poo poo.

Meanwhile I watch NorthernLion play this after he reached A15 on all Spire characters and his conservative plays are what gently caress him over every single time. Recently he had a maximized and damage added multihit animus and the opportunity to dupe it and for some reason just didn't. 160+ damage a round and like 80hp and I think he duped the Formless Child trying to play some shenanigans with it when just being aggressive and doubling up on his best card easily could have carried him. He definitely had 6 capacity on all floors and I think his middle floor was just empty for the last two battles of the game.

quote:

On your first turn, you are guaranteed to draw your champion + at least one banner unit (so no imps, cuttlehexes and other "support" units like morsels etc), the rest of your hand is random draw. After your first turn, if you have any banner units left in your deck, you are guaranteed to draw at least one per turn. Once you've drawn all your banner units, all draws are randomized.

This is some useful info from his comments. I figured it was something like this on at least turn one.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 17, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Did Stygian get nerfs?

It feels ... even more garbage than before, tonight. I stopped playing Stygian primary a long while back now because Tethys is just so loving bad compared to any other champ. I can't get a Stygian/Awoken win for my codex.

I finally understand how spell weakness works at least.

Edit: Found the notes Looks like mostly ember cost increases. Fitting since I'm playing the combo without a single ember gain card.

Also doesn't help I ran into those sweep emberdrain assholes in consecutive runs. They can indeed appear in Pyrewings, the battle before Seraph.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 18, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't understand hell rush. It seems like everyone else does every single challenge but somehow they take zero pyre damage even four or five rings in.

I start to think I'm missing an entire mechanic of the game or something, or just doing something so insanely obviously wrong like putting my units at the bottom instead of the top.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Uhhh largestone legion of wax is hilarious

Largestone Legion open-palm-slammed into the "make it one slot" event is the most broken run I've ever had. Only way to make it better would be to throw Endless on it instead of reforming, but even that's debatable because of how fast burnout would get it back to you anyway.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I had to spam some restarts last night to confirm that the primary clan banner can even spawn on the same side as the monster shop after the first fight, but I still swear it's weighted not to. I can deal with suboptimal outcomes in this game, but a first primary clan banner being on the magic shop side is just dickish.

So now my start script is Seraph, next ring, relic, champ, because let's say I'm Hellhorned but my secondary clan is on the monster shop, I'm really gonna reconsider a bunch of stuff ... and probably still take Wrathful.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Snow Job posted:

only their hero has multi-attack, and sometimes even he doesn't get that option

I 100% take Wrathful as the first pick if offered every time. It's way too good early, and still scales late. It's almost comical that 3x Reaper will still die to sweepers and gating damage behind kills is catch-22. I'll take Brawler as a second and third upgrade, but 3x Wrathful is totally doable, especially if the other option is lolReaper. It might not be obvious, but the two options at the start are the same two options you get for the whole game, so lean into it.

Mid to late game, put him behind something beefy, but play with the expectation that it will die, putting all the armor and buffs on your Prince. Once his meatwall goes down he should have 100+ armor and solo everything.

And a neat trick: Hit him with your torches. He gains more damage from rage than the torch would do, which easily tips early battles. He goes absolutely nuts with enemy spikes challenge turned on too. Poke him with torches and every single Dark Deal you can get and (carefully) with Branding Rite in a pinch.

Too bad Deranged Brute was basically deleted from the game. I have seen it once since the patch. Putting a Deranged Brute behind him will breeze through the whole game as long as you stay away from him getting iced on turn one.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I actually assumed it was the opposite of this: You get two options, the one you dont pick is then replaced in your upgrades with the option you werent presented with. I'm not sure its always that rather than "the initial choice of two is random, then subsequent choices are that one and a random one of the other two", but I've definitely had it happen because I remember looking at options and deciding "Sweep now, frostbite at the first upgrade point" and being mildly disappointed at not having that option.

It's neither. Just paid attention in a run and got Wrathful-Reaper, Wrathful-Reaper, Wrathful-Brawler.

Now, if the third choice is always the one that wasn't offered before, that'd make more sense and would be what gave me the idea that they don't change.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

lol

Torching my prince adds 40 damage. I have the trample card too.

It was into Purifying Seraph, but that didn't matter.

It was only a Cov1 run because I forgot to turn it back up from just wanting logbook clears.
DL

I thought this was my new high score run, but I guess this was last week:

DL

Snuffer and Resin Block with Largestone Legion. Holy poo poo. I think my plan at the end was to Stygian Spike it to ramp up the damage faster.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 5, 2020

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_nUMXlBzdM

Proud of my boy making the big plays.

I still did not know spike kills count as slay.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Me and my boy and my boy and my boy and my boy and my boy and my boy and my boy went on a rager. DL

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Was warming up a little and completing a few odd combos before getting the DLC. I hadn't played more than a few rounds since the alternate champions came out and Little Fade is my fuckin' jam but ... slamming multistrikes on Superfood Primordium is silly.

Monch monch monch monch monch :lol:

Deeplink

I love this fuckin game.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

What the hell is this? I've never had it block me from stacking incant effects on other units I think?

Ninja edit: Took some shards to afford a reroll. Can't put multistrike on it either (more obvious that it would be removed though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

First run in a while, Little Fade pimp-handing bosses for 1k+ by just finding multiple ways to extinguish him every turn plus Mark of the Champion.

Deeplink