Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
reach out and touch book SUDDEN DEATH
This poll is closed.
1) A People's Future of the United States 3 9.09%
2) The African Queen 9 27.27%
3) Club Dumas Arturo Perez-Reverte 9 27.27%
4) Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton 3 9.09%
5) Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck 9 27.27%
Total: 21 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
As always, please only vote if you're considering participating -- this poll functions as an interest check. You can vote for more than one candidate. If you have another suggestion, make a post about it.

1) A People's Future of the United States

quote:

In these tumultuous times, in our deeply divided country, many people are angry, frightened, and hurting. Knowing that imagining a brighter tomorrow has always been an act of resistance, editors Victor LaValle and John Joseph Adams invited an extraordinarily talented group of writers to share stories that explore new forms of freedom, love, and justice. They asked for narratives that would challenge oppressive American myths, release us from the chokehold of our history, and give us new futures to believe in.

2) The African Queen

quote:

Set in German Southwest Africa at the beginning of World War I, this is a story of love and adventure between two English castaways. Rose, a middle-class missionary's sister, and Charlie, a cockney mechanic at a mine, have both been displaced by the war. The unlikely pair decide to sail down an "unnavigable" river in a broken-down launch, The African Queen, to try and sink a German patrol boat.
Freed by her brother's death, Rose is the brains and will behind their adventure. Charlie, at first somewhat sniveling, blossoms into a brilliant problem solver. Both are molded by love and adversity to become their best selves.
Lovers of the 1951 John Huston movie, starring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn, will find the main characters somewhat different, but even more real and compelling here.

3) Club Dumas Arturo Perez-Reverte

quote:

Fallen angels, satanic manuals, and a passion for the works of Raphael Sabatini and Alexandre Dumas among others--this is the stuff of Spanish author Arturo Pérez-Reverte's engrossing novel The Club Dumas. Set in a world of antiquarian booksellers where dealers would gladly betray their own mothers to get their hands on a rare volume, The Club Dumas is a thinking person's thriller: in addition to a riveting plot, the book is full of intriguing details that range from the working habits of Alexandre Dumas to how one might go about forging a 17th-century text. Woven through these meditations is enough murder, sex, and the occult to keep both the hero, Lucas Corso, and the reader hopping.

4) Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton

quote:

It says on the hardcover jacket copy “You have never read a book like Tooth and Claw” which is absolutely untrue, because if you have read Anthony Trollope’s Framley Parsonage you have read a book very much like Tooth and Claw except that Trollope was under the mistaken impression that he was writing about human beings. I had the idea for Tooth and Claw when I was simultaneously reading both Trollope and a fantasy book about dragons, and my husband asked me a question about the former and I answered about the latter, and I suddenly realized in a flash that Trollope made much more sense if the characters were dragons.

5) Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

quote:

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (Lo$)[1] is a serial of 12 comic book stories written and drawn by Don Rosa, lettered by Todd Klein (American editions),[2] first published by the Danish publisher Egmont in the magazine Anders And & Co. from 1992–94 and later in English in Uncle Scrooge #285 through #296 (1994–96). The stories chronicle the in-universe biography of Scrooge McDuck before his introduction in 1947. The stories were later collected and published together in a single volume. Rosa later published additional stories which expanded on Scrooge's biography. These were released as The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion.

The story follows the main events of Scrooge's life between 1877 and 1947, including almost all references found in Carl Barks stories about Scrooge's life until 1947 but leaving some room for Rosa and other creators to add more details later. The comic also provides information on the backgrounds and origins of many characters related to Scrooge.

Don Rosa earned the Will Eisner Award in 1997 for this work. The trade paperback collection was also a top vote-getter for the Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Award for Favorite Reprint Graphic Novel/Album for 1997.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Validated scoring for this month's entries, per Alloy's request:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Discendo Vox posted:

hail Satan

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Surprising levels of horniness for Scrooge there. Never trust a duck, I suppose.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

anilEhilated posted:

Surprising levels of horniness for Scrooge there. Never trust a duck, I suppose.

It makes sense when you think about it.

To spell out some of the factors in words:

Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck will probably end up costing around $40 for both volumes, maybe a little more depending on which format you buy & from where.

African Queen is in the public domain and free, at least in Canada : https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20180238

Unfortunately the Tor.com free download offer for Tooth and Claw has expired.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Unfortunately the Tor.com free download offer for Tooth and Claw has expired.

"Unfortunately"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Discendo Vox posted:

goodreads the jrpg

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I talked too much in the chat thread so i'm going to do this i voted for club dumbass if you wanna put me on the chart

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the one that sounds most interesting is the Dumas club. I can't guarantee that I can get my hands on it in time, but it got my vote nonetheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, It'll be African Queen because we have a three way tie and the other two candidates cost money whereas AQ should be available as a free download.

Other candidates are quite likely to show up in future polls!

I'll get a thread up tonight or tomorrow.