Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Ibblebibble posted:

Turns out the demons are using some very new hyperregional slang where the word "enemy" means "friend".

Chasing people around with the translator from Mars Attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The demons are just 100% pure sociopaths. A whole race of Hannibal Lecters.

On the other hand, Frieran sitting in the cell thinking "Oh well, the demons will start killing everybody soon and I'll just wait until then to escape" is a pretty sociopathic thing to think too.

I think Fern and Stark will discover something new and change everybody's mind. The slow humanization of Frieren through her interaction with others is the overarching theme of this manga anyway.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

This isn't even my final form.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

It makes sense from the demons' point of view that masking your true magical nature would seem like cheating. Apex predators like them wouldn't understand why anyone would hide an overwhelming advantage.

And as cowardly as it may feel to our heroes, it's better than having the enemy know exactly how much power they need to counter you.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Sindai posted:

I want to know where demons get their fancy outfits.

I think they're built in (or camouflage). Don't they vanish when the demons do?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Yes, please, keep suddenly kicking me in the emotional balls, it's fine.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's kind of odd how frieren doesn't seem to invent spells.

Since you have to write a huge tome just to describe a spell that turns red apples green, she probably doesn't have the patience for it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I like the severe underplaying of the combat in this series. It's almost a rebuke to other similar manga, which is all about kicking rear end and taking names (while nobody actually dies or even changes much). In this one, it's a given that, yes yes, they win, now here's Frieren having a bittersweet memory of her time with the man she discovered she loved only after he died. The manga knows what its focus is and stays on it like a laser.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

RatHat posted:

I still want an explanation on how they got that bracelet on him in the first place

A different mind-control bracelet.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Arbitrary Number posted:

It's pretty strange that none actually try to coexist with humans, since it doesn't seem like they need to eat people to live. It's like they don't have self-preservation instinct. You'd think if they were that intelligent they'd figure out that there's a good chance they'd be killed for doing that. Maybe killing humans could be so fun they'd risk their lives for it, but they don't have emotions, so that's out. They could be a race someone created long ago using magic and for some reason they were programmed to kill humans above all else.

There was that story with the little girl demon who lived with a human family for a while, at least until she murdered another family so her benefactors could raise their daughter, because the demon interpreted "we want to raise a child as our own" in the most clinically amoral sense possible. But it was kindness, in a way: These people wanted a child, so here, one's available now! Everybody wins!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Frieren just knows to never, ever, ever show your whole hand to a demon. Even if victory seems assured.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Paracelsus posted:

Have the mimics be animated at triple the frame rate of everything else.

Ah yes, the "Kazuya's hand motion" gambit.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

The mimics just make the anime girl "taking a bite" sound.

Aaah haumf!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Frieren is still an elf and still terribly awkward. Just because she set out to learn how to be more responsive to others doesn't mean she's there yet.

That said, she's different enough that her old party recognized it pretty quickly.

Squidster posted:

I want to see the adventures of past robot Frieren hanging out with Fern and Stark, stuck in a world where her apprentice can effortlessly stunt on her. Where is the old Frieren's consciousness, anyway?

Betcha it's an instantaneous thing. As soon as she's done, she'll return to her future body and no time will have passed.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I think the thing the demons learned was that Frieren was so in love with Himmel that it made her hesitate to leave the illusion.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Well I mean Frieren's already been to Aureole once. She should have an idea what's there.

Also Flamme'd been there and told her straight out that she met with her dead friends.

100% pure speculation: I don't know if Frieren's coming back.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

An organization headed by an elf that takes forever to get with the times? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

While I'm always up for more lore, the pacing felt weird. We're all waiting to get to the fireworks factory and the anime spends five minutes noodling around in a hidden room with no clear story payoff.

Then in the end, the big fight that we tuned in this week to see still doesn't happen yet.

Anyway, still looking forward to next week.