Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Given Frieran's new group seems to be roughly paralleling her old, I'm going to guess they'll end up with a demon joining them to be the "corrupt priest" of the new group.

In any case, as has been said above, this issue was clearly setting something up, and I'm going to wait and see where this arc goes before I form an opinion on the demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Interesting thought. They are organized but they don't actually seem to care about each other the same way people do. Qual is the only demon so far in these two instances that showed actual comradarie and I could easily argue given the way the translation is worded he wasn't actually upset at all about the death of the demon king. This chapter, Wire didn't really care about Frieran's taunts even when it included his superior Aura. There's a certain frankness to how demons handle stuff that goes along with how the child from the last chapter was mostly dispassionate and logical in her thought process. It's likely that they form organizations purely because it's necessary for survival and you know, waging wars against another organized group.

Young demons are also very dumb because they have no chill or patience.

I don't think logical is the right word, given we just see a young demon make a really stupid decision based mostly on impulse.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Guyver posted:

It's supposed to weed out everyone except the very best.

Seems like it's working as intended as long as you don't get some thousand year old elf who fought the demon king taking it.

A test which regularly murders most of your best mages who don't quite make the grade probably isn't that good unless the actual purpose is to kill off magic users.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rody One Half posted:

Demons are weird because a big thing was made in the Aura arc that they supposedly have no interpersonal relationships, don't really understand the concept even, and yet the first one we see, the sage, declares that he'll fight Frieran as REVENGE for the king's death.

Could be a relic of the author not really having hammered out how demons worked at that point, or it could be implying there's something special about the demon king that made them different from regular demons.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I mean, considering the merchant happily sold someone into debt slavery over a debt that's mostly interest on a loan taken out before he was even born, the manga probably portrayed him in waaay to positive a light. He's still an rear end in a top hat. But yeah, that kind of indentured servitude is an order of magnitude different from chattel slavery.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

They don’t limit their mana to hide their true level but they can still fully hide their mana for stealth stuff.

Yeah, I think the idea is that they're perfectly capable of obscuring their mana if there's an obvious reason to do so like needing to employ stealth. It's just that going around with their mana suppressed all the time like Frieren does to give the impression of being weaker than she really is, is just utterly foreign to their way of thinking. It's how they determine hierarchy, and the only way they organize into a society. Hence when Frieren reveals it, we see the demon react with something close to moral outrage.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Just when you thought Denken couldn't get any cooler.

Could it be he wants to co-exist in the same way as a farmer co-exists with his cows?

Hi think it’s more that Macht doesn’t see any fundamental difference between a dead human and a living one. So if turning the entire city into gold statues preserves the city forever as a peaceful garden, then that’s coexistence in his mind.

As someone else in the thread said, there’s some parallels to the little girl demon the hero party encountered in the flashback here.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Honestly sounds like most manga should just release monthly instead.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

This thread had a massive derail about how portraying the demons as irredeemable was a bad thing because assigning sentiet humanoid beings the racial trait of absolute evil is a bad thing for an author to do.

Solitar is doing something similar

For all the problematic elements, you gotta at least hand it to the manga for really going all in on exploring the implications of having an 'inherently evil' species in the setting rather than just having goblins or whatever as an unexamined backdrop.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Don't most of them do it because they eat humans or something and they just predate on them? And then it seems like some of the more brainy sorts look for higher meaning in all this poo poo but can't truly relate to or understand humans in the end.

They do, but it’s been explicitly noted a few times that they don’t actually need to in order to survive. For example the demon who disguised herself as a priest to ambush people talked about her needing to feed; and then when it was pointed out she didn’t need to had no answer to that.

Demons do seem to have a psychological drive to kill and eat humans that goes beyond amoral survival instinct, and which demons themselves can’t really explain.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah I'm guessing it'll only be a few chapters of the past

But will Frieren and Himmel smooch? Gotta ask the important questions.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

New Chapter

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

In silence, too. The other three clearly knew each other's moves, but Himmel notes that this is the first time Frieren has really worked in concert and anticipated their moves. I like to imagine she just kind of blithely blasted away most of the time and didn't care a bit about strategy. Probably winged all of them at least once. :allears:

It's funny. I think Zart's had the most thought bubbles/internal monologue of any demon so far. Guess it was necessary to fill the space since the Hero party are kind of a silent, well-oiled machine in combat.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

The mimic chapter. Mimics...are sentient!

And echoing demon lines. When you think about it, demons and mimics are actually fairly similar, they just differ in what they imitate. Interesting perspective.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

Sein joining to complete the old party composition seems like what would happen, but I'd be fine with them just meeting and parting tbh

It wouldn't complete the old party composition. They don't have a hero. (Personally, I'm still pushing my unworkable crack-theory that they'll eventually encounter a demon they can't just kill for some reason and have to travel with Xellos-style that will perversely fill the Hero party slot.)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I'm also definitely expecting a big fight with some kind of new Demon King/proto Demon King at the end of the journey.

Nah the Demon King is gone. The Demon Hero on the other hand…

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

this guy needs a union

The downside of being black ops is that no one has to allocate your unit a coffee budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Serie is really childish and petty, but she does stick to her principles. Hence Methode's examination: "Uh, OK, you're weird. But I did say I'd pass anyone whose first reation wasn't fear so uh, yeah you're in."