Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Ytlaya posted:

Something that it often takes a while for people to realize is that "hating Republicans" does not necessarily imply "having left-wing political views" (this is how you end up with people like Bill Maher being popular with liberals).

So while the "just talks about hating Republicans constantly" liberal is definitely preferable to the "thinks some Republicans are honorable and praises Reagan" liberal, they're often still right-wingers politically themselves, even if they're Democratic partisan right-wingers.
https://twitter.com/perlmutations/status/382514076385280000
It's not like he's Danny DeVito or something, Perlman's obviously invested in the Dem party as it is and has a nasty dose of 'MURICA flag poisioning, but he has also said things showing he isn't just angry at Republicans. Granted, that's most of it, but there's more there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
That article's the same recycled garbage that gets pumped out every once in a while, where a family living in an extremely high cost of living area with two infants, after paying a mortgage on a seven figure house and doing all the savings and paying for insurance that actually leaves you and your kids safe from financial disaster and paying for private education through college, doesn't have a ton of cash left over.

quote:

“Based on the expenses, a $400,000 household income provides for a relatively middle-class lifestyle,” Dogen said. “A middle-class lifestyle is defined as: owning a home, having two kids, saving for retirement, saving for college, going on modest vacations several weeks a year, and retiring in one’s early 60s.”
While the family could save for retirement, they would only have about $34 left at the end of the year as extra cash flow once their household expenses are paid.

So yeah, if you fiddle with your definitions a bit, a family earning more than the annual median individual income every month somehow counts as in some kind of middle.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Kinda hard to dig into, but it looks like the Biden plan would put the effective tax rate numbers a few percentage points better in the direction I'd prefer for most brackets as compared to the Bowles-Simpson plan, which I didn't expect. So, I would say Biden's plan would put his policies in this area left of the Obama administration. Referencing effective tax rates is painting with a very specific brush, as Republicans have made it a whole lot easier to put together a tax plan that is more progressive than current policy.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And biden is raising capital gain tax to 39.6% which is higher than it's ever been in history

Wrong. 1977 and 1978 might not be recent history by some definitions, but it's certainly history that you could've checked before making things up.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Epic High Five posted:

What it really all comes down to is if you trust him to actually take even the first step to implementing even the hamstrung and toothless reforms he is proposing, or if you do not, and all of history is only on one side here.

Crime Bill Joe "Nothing is off the table" Biden is going to inherit the biggest mandate for crushing and sweeping austerity in US history and he's gonna JUMP. Nobody under 55 is getting out of this better off because his whole career and campaign has been telling olds that he's not gonna harm them at all, but the snotty kids who want change are gonna really fuckin suffer

Gonna disagree with your first sentence, but it's because I agree with your second. I would not be at all surprised to see some of these tax proposals be very seriously proposed during a Biden administration. But that's because they'll be right next to various austerity measures. Even Alan "Social Security is a cow with 310 million tits" Simpson was ready to tax cap gains as ordinary income, if it meant getting at those benefit cuts.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What makes you mad? Biden wants to raise taxes, the article is the one saying “woah there, raise taxes on the rich? 400,000 isn’t so rich buster!” How does that make you mad at Biden?

Perhaps you could consider the distinction between "Biden" and "these fuckers" in the post and why the poster bothered to make that distinction?

e: and yes, we are all quite well aware of how you're trying to quietly slink away from your prior dumb things you posted and the perfectly cogent responses thereto, as usual

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 7, 2020

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If by corrupt bargain you mean deliberate sabotage of the party in order to undermine leftist elements within it, as happened with Corbyn, no, I don't think that's what's going on with convention speaker selection. Why would they? They won that fight already, and a public convention isn't how you'd do that anyway. We'd probably be talking about sabotage if Bernie had won, but he lost. The convention was about signaling to voters what Biden's victory means for the future of the party. That's not some kind of tit for tat dealmaking except insofar as it's politicians doing politics.

Do you mean to reference leftists talking about democrats wanting to lose and preferring to be in the minority? I do not think that is true of the Biden campaign. I think they're playing the hand they've been dealt quite well lately, and are being rewarded for it in the polls.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Thanks for this! Good read.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I've been thinking through a lot of this electoral stuff,

[snip]

7. Ally with the public uprising. There's going to be a lot of riots, a lot of strikes, and a lot of people breaking poo poo. Make sure you address their concerns to rip away public support from the establishment. This has the doubly useful effect that if poo poo REALLY goes down, the DSA is in the unique position of legitimate government power to represent public outcry , something the Democrats cannot do (shoot them in the leg, indeed).

I think this is a particularly important point, because the decorum crowd has no idea that more riots are coming, and no response in the pipeline but to shame people for being pissed. The anger's still gonna be there. Either we give it an outlet or the fash does.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Don’t let the man alienate you from your labor, brew your own.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I also know nothing about the Buffalo Chronicle, but I'm a little reluctant to trust anonymous sourcing from a paper whose links to pages for their writers or their contact page generate a 404.

e: ah, well there we have it, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
That asterisk leaves out the possibility that it's just a useful thing for them to say and that individual actors may not care whether it is accurate or not in a given case, however much they may have internalized the belief in general. A big Biden win was always going to be messaged by centrists as a crushing refutation of the left, and a narrow Biden win or a loss was always going to be explained away by left weighing him down.