Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Heather Papps posted:

in the winter i try and wear bright summery things to counteract the weathers dampening of mood and today i learned that this hat:

is not allowed during the summer months.

a hummingbird came at the back of my head and flew so close to my right ear i could feel the air moving and i yelled "jeSUS gently caress!" really loud and had an adrenaline rush from the cutest lil birb
I too have been maliciously attacked by violent hummingbirbs while peacefully tending my garden. Two cute but vicious lil hummers buzzed me and nearly pecked out my eyeballs as I was cutting back the turks cap they were in the habit of feeding upon.

PLease share your stories and support of hummingbird violence itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I don't want to be exclusive or anything so i will open this up to all victims of bird attacks really. Don't ever forget that they are miniature fluffy dinosaurs and would eat you if they could fit you in their tiny dainty birb beaks..

In college there was a really mean goose with a growth on its nose that would chase you and honk at you (esp. if you were drunk. pretty sure it was a narc) and we called it triceragoose because it looked like a triceratops and also because it was the descendant of those terrible lizards

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

alexandriao

ive never been attaked by a bird but my mum AND my dad have brought dead bird carcasses back to paint. they aleays go in the freezer and they forget about them and never paint them

Khanstant
in 7th grade I was in some elective class called "leadership skills." I was a talkative, facetious teenling and a lot of my teacher's found it amusing but my Leadership teacher did not, irreverence was like sacrilege to her. a series of disruptive responses or participations later, one finally broke the camel's back and got me kicked out: We had to start class by going around and telling everyone one thing we were grateful for that day(technically we started each class by walking through the door and had to choose between high five/hug/handshake/or do a jig). I said "I was grateful I hadn't been attacked by a flock of seagulls" and she like lit, up never saw her so angry, sent me outside then to principals and counselors to schedule a different class for that time period.

Khanstant
bird pooped on me a few times, dont take a nap on a bench outside by trees is all i know

Goons Are Gifts

When I was a kid I was chilling in a park often and there was water and there also were geese. One of them always patrolled the area and whenever you came too close to another person, the water, a tree, a trash can or in general proximity of that one goose with changing tolerated distances, hellfire would rain down on you. It started honking from a mile away and rushed towards you, drawing closer with each passing second. You can run, but you can't hide. And once it got to you, you were attacked with a series of biting attacks mixed with violent bloodthirsty honking.

To this day, this goose is still there, lurking. Sometimes at night, sometimes at day, but everyone around town knows, if you hear the silent, distant sound of an angry honk, you should flee screaming.

nut

I am a hummingbird and I believe you have misinterpreted our actions. we are simply trying to drink the sweet nectar from your eyes nose mouth and ears. what’s the big deal? it will refill eventually

biosterous

a few years i just walking along the sidewalk and a bird buzzed me, smacked me in the head. it was probably defending a nest? there were lots of trees nearby

when it happened for some reason my phone wouldn't connect to the nearest tower so i couldn't text anyone about it!!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

partridge are really good at hiding and looking like a pile of leaves, and i have never seen my dad laugh so hard as when one burst up right before i stepped on it and flew away shrieking while i was knocked on my rear end
they are tiny but look at this:

terrifying

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

FluffieDuckie

one summer a blue jay decided our pool was his stomping ground. unfortunately that was my chosen exercise locale for the summer

i would go out there and use a kickboard and for the whole time i was in there i could hear him doing close flybys at my head.

it really added excitement to the workout

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Goons Are Gifts

Training for the inevitable apocalypse coming from very far above

Finger Prince

Angry.
Photo credit: Glenn Bartley (I have no idea who he is)

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I saw a swan the size of a frickin' ostrich

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Wanted By Weed

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I saw a swan the size of a frickin' ostrich

Pretty standard, really. The one thing cartoons and photographs don't always convey well about swans is how enormous they are. Their wings are like clubs, they can beat you to death with them if they're lucky.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Ouch oof i am being attacked right now i could really use some support

Heather Papps

hello friend

Putty posted:

Ouch oof i am being attacked right now i could really use some support

it'll be okay just go for a walk to burn off the fight or flight

super sweet best pal

Finger Prince posted:

Angry.
Photo credit: Glenn Bartley (I have no idea who he is)

If you needed a constant supply of nectar to live you'd be angry whenever you weren't chugging any too.

Stoner Sloth

saw a cormorant being rescued (had a plastic six pack holder around its neck) and decide that it didn't like the whole situation so it decided to ring bark the person's thumb

seen a kid teasing a big old wedge tailed eagle at an injured wild life recovery place and very nearly get his nose taken off (teacher yanked them away hard enough for them to fall on their rear end just at the last second)

Australian magpies here get pretty toey too around nesting time - if they know you it's generally okay but otherwise they can swoop you and even do some pretty nasty damage - there was a woman in NSW many years back who got her eyeball torn open by one. fortunately they were able to reinflate it and restore most of her vision

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

clammy

surprised nobody has brought up grackles yet.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I have stumbled upon killdeer near their nest before (they just make them in the ground in the middle of a field or something because well their brains are tiny And they don’t understand that mowers are a thing sorry killdeer!) and drat they want to fight you. Actually they act like they are gonna fight you until you get really close to their nest and then they fly away dramatically to get you to chase them and not find their nest because that is what real love is.

Finger Prince

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have stumbled upon killdeer near their nest before (they just make them in the ground in the middle of a field or something because well their brains are tiny And they don’t understand that mowers are a thing sorry killdeer!) and drat they want to fight you. Actually they act like they are gonna fight you until you get really close to their nest and then they fly away dramatically to get you to chase them and not find their nest because that is what real love is.

Killdeer are the biggest drama queens of the bird world. The slightest little thing and they're up in the air going DEEEdeedeedeedee and spooking everything else. Then there's the whole flopping on the ground pretending their wing is broken like "oh I am slain!". They're just so extra. But their babies are the cutest things ever.

Heather Papps

hello friend

a hummingbird got stuck in my patio today and it is a very strange thing trying to rescue something you know in your bones is extremely fragile. it was banging against the clear roof panels all confused, and i held a broom to it for it to alight upon, but would take off towards the panels as soon as i tried moving the broom towards escape.

eventually, (i guess the whole thing took only a few moments but it felt like a long time), i grabbed a chair and a fabric grocery bag and very gently wrapped him up and carried my friendship burrito and released him. i was very afraid to hurt it.

i guess i should fill up my feeder, but the bear in town has been poking around so they asked folk to stop putting out seed/suet/syrup feeders.

clammy

Heather Papps posted:

a hummingbird got stuck in my patio today and it is a very strange thing trying to rescue something you know in your bones is extremely fragile. it was banging against the clear roof panels all confused, and i held a broom to it for it to alight upon, but would take off towards the panels as soon as i tried moving the broom towards escape.

eventually, (i guess the whole thing took only a few moments but it felt like a long time), i grabbed a chair and a fabric grocery bag and very gently wrapped him up and carried my friendship burrito and released him. i was very afraid to hurt it.

i guess i should fill up my feeder, but the bear in town has been poking around so they asked folk to stop putting out seed/suet/syrup feeders.

do you live in alaska or like wtf? bears?

Heather Papps

hello friend

clammy posted:

do you live in alaska or like wtf? bears?

northern ontario, across the lake from michigan. it's pretty wild and even though i live in a town of over a thousand, (i think?), i'm right on the edge so if a bear is gonna come looking for snacks i guess they come my way. i found some reno trash bags with bear claw marks in them, but they are lil cowardly black bears unless you gently caress up and get between a momma and cubs.

FluffieDuckie

Heather Papps posted:

when a dove flew into the house and started to panic and bang his head against the windows and the sliders i spent minutes thumbtacking sheets over all the windows and half one of the sliders. then i left the one slider open and tried to convince him to go that way. he finally flew like a madman through the open door. then i had to take down all the sheets.

he never even said thank you,

Finger Prince

Once I had to catch a bat in the work lunch room. It was difficult, they're wily and agile. Eventually the poor guy got exhausted from flying around and landed on the windowsill panting like crazy so I was able to throw a bag over him and bring him outside where he flew off. Catching bats is hard work.

nut

FluffieDuckie posted:

when a dove flew into the house and started to panic and bang his head against the windows and the sliders i spent minutes thumbtacking sheets over all the windows and half one of the sliders. then i left the one slider open and tried to convince him to go that way. he finally flew like a madman through the open door. then i had to take down all the sheets.

he never even said thank you,

I’m sorry thank u

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

one summer a blue jay decided our pool was his stomping ground. unfortunately that was my chosen exercise locale for the summer

i would go out there and use a kickboard and for the whole time i was in there i could hear him doing close flybys at my head.

it really added excitement to the workout

please post about thunk

FluffieDuckie

alnilam posted:

please post about thunk

Oh yeah. Thunk.

For newbies, the picture I cut out was the av of byob poster bwee

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704117&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

alexandriao

Stoner Sloth posted:

Australian magpies here get pretty toey too around nesting time - if they know you it's generally okay but otherwise they can swoop you and even do some pretty nasty damage - there was a woman in NSW many years back who got her eyeball torn open by one. fortunately they were able to reinflate it and restore most of her vision

Did you mean to type NSFL :nws: :stonk:

Heather Papps

hello friend

my heart is racing holy gently caress okay

so this rescue was not as easy and has inspired me to figure out some way to prevent this from happening because this is clearly a trend. bumblebees may do the same thing but come morning they see the bright and go towards it but hot drat one of these friends could die if i wasn't around to catch them

pictured: a hummingbirb attempting to wedge itself in between the panel and the beam, attempting to escape a giant muttering "oh no lil buddy oh no ohnoohno"

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
lure it out with a juicy steak op

hummingbirbs like it medium well

Areola Grande fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 5, 2020

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

FluffieDuckie

oh nooo!

poor little sweetie

Heather Papps

hello friend

it was a harrowing experience, any other bird common to my region would be less fragile and i could rescue without so much fear of crushing it.

i am currently googling "how to stop hummingbirds" and variants

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

at my old job sometimes hummingbirds would get caught in the spiderwebs and it was sad :( They are so tiny and light. Sometimes we could save them if we saw it happen but sometimes we would just come in in the morning to find a hummingbird stuck in the corner. They usually recovered well in a few minutes. Their lil hearts beat so fast

Heather Papps

hello friend

i have a crabapple tree in bloom directly across from the patio windows, and i live on the second floor. it's an old florist shop kitbashed into a house so it's weird.

after some googling i have removed all the brightly coloured objects within line of sight so i am hoping very much this works because stapling chicken wire or keeping the shutters always closed are my other two options. i should look up how hummingbird vision works maybe i can use glow in the dark or florescent stuff to make them an exit sign?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I just got buzzed by a freakin h-bird while peacefully sitting on my porch having a beer! Will nobody rid me of these meddlesome birds!!

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just got buzzed by a freakin h-bird while peacefully sitting on my porch having a beer! Will nobody rid me of these meddlesome birds!!

one got WAY too close 2 me while I was taking a walk 2day. the fright nearly put me in my grave!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

lil fucker is about the size of a carpenter bee and is sticking its nose all up in my phlox by my porch and buzzing RIGHT next to my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

thank the lord yob i have not endured an attack this year, but i took lessons from past years into consideration