Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some foods are good tasting but not eaten that commonly, or not used commonly. Some of these things are spices or ingredients. Let's talk about ingredients we like that maybe other people haven't thought about lately.

I cook with asfoetida sometimes. It is said to smell very bad but taste very good. I find it smells pretty good and tastes good. It's like adding a slightly boorish onion. An onion that has retained some defiance again you.

I also like beef tendon a lot. I have to cook it very well. It is supposed to have a lot of good nutrients. I find it an interesting texture. I eat it in soup for the most part.

MSG is tasty and imparts a savory flavor.

Thick soy sauce isn't just soy sauce that is thick. It is a cooking ingredient. It has a more rounded flavor.

Liquid smoke is for lazy people who want 80% of the experience of good smoke flavor done right, for 2% of the effort. Never without it.

Even more important is Maggi brown sauce. The recipe is different in different countries, and the European one is the most savory and my favorite (and is the favorite in many non-European countries). You will know it when you taste it if you haven't bought it before, because a lot of restaurants use it. You may find it striking how familiar it is for something you may not have ever been aware of before.

At fancy stores, quail eggs are too expensive. At stores that are not fancy they are very affordable. They're punchier than chicken eggs and also fun because they are small.

Ceylon cinnamon. This is the traditional cinnamon but it's more uncommon. I genuinely find it tastier.

Pickled eggs are great for any application where otherwise you might have used a hard-boiled egg, like a salad. They have more salt and are therefore tastier.

Add your own ingredients to help other people, or go to sleep. Either is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If you have not been adding smoked paprika on your chicken/tuna salad you have been loving up for a long time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't see many people using kohlrabi. Why not? It's good.

It's just another brassica so there's nothing weird about using it at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Fiddleheads are actually kind of gross, but a gross I find tasty. You can find them canned which, like, what the gently caress? They basically taste like when you're a kid and you're eating bits of random plants.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oca tastes exactly like potato. If you want to support people at the farmer's market or simply have more money than sense, you can eat it in lieu of a potato.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Head cheese gets a bad reputation, probably for the name. However, I've found it useful to cook with. It tends to have a lot of flavor and a lot of connective tissue, both of which I like.

I'm not sure it's meant to be "cooked with" but I do.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

• Every time you eat a pickle, put a new cucumber spear in the jar. Infinite pickles

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you have not been adding smoked paprika on your chicken/tuna salad you have been loving up for a long time

:hmmyes:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Pick posted:

I don't see many people using kohlrabi. Why not? It's good.

It's just another brassica so there's nothing weird about using it at all.

that's a weed
I'm not eating nothing I don't understand

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cubone posted:

that's a weed
I'm not eating nothing I don't understand

it's literally a big glob of broccoli stem (it's the same species). if you like the tender inside part of a broccoli stem, there's a lot of it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

try put a little cardamon in stuff. especially deserts

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I have taken to adding cauliflower to everything. My family is getting sick of it but they can gently caress off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Voice of Labor posted:

try put a little cardamon in stuff. especially deserts

The best cookies I ever had included cardamon.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The best cookies I ever had included a little bit of dry earl grey tea sprinkled on top.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Tahini. Shitloads of tahini. Make a lemon garlic sauce for veg, meat or fish (maybe with a splash of pomegranate molasses). Make a Japanese sesame sauce with mirin, soy and ginger. Mix it with date syrup for the most amazing toast spread. Add it to overly sweet chocolate spreads.

Cardamom is indeed delicious. As is smoked paprika. It’s worth paying a bit more for the good stuff. And kohlrabi is delicious sliced thinly, dressed and served with Parmesan shavings.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Zatar for seasoning. It’s amazing.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Mushrooms! The most amazing and divisive food. I love them so

Thanks for the reminder to get more Maggi I'm out!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Rat posted:

Thanks for the reminder to get more Maggi I'm out!

The black chanterelle is the best condiment there ever was. I have a big jar of it in dried and powdered form. Almost running out tho, let's hope they grow this year. Last year was hosed.

The french call it "trumpet of death" so it's also the most metal shroom

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rat posted:

the texture and consistency of cooked mushrooms never blends in at all with whatever other ingredients there are. raw mushrooms are a fine thing

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

Pick posted:

The best cookies I ever had included cardamon.

Cardamum is great in any baked sweet. It smells and tastes like how a hug feels.

e: Likewise, Cinnamon goes great in most savory dishes. pro tip: mix some cinnamon and paprika into the breading next time you make friend chicken. Takes it from great to orgasmic.

DeathCrabForCutie fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 31, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Whoria Discordia posted:

Cardamum is great in any baked sweet. It smells and tastes like how a hug feels.
a vanilla liqueur can taste exactly like christmas

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Fruit vinegar is amazing, a neighbor of mine offered me Japanese pomegranate vinegar with seltzer water and I was leery because I’m really not a fan of kombucha/switchel but it was excellent.

I would also like to try crosnes at some point. I’ve been on a gardening kick and they are one of the plants I’d eventually like to acquire and eat.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

gary oldmans diary posted:

the texture and consistency of cooked mushrooms never blends in at all with whatever other ingredients there are. raw mushrooms are a fine thing

Yeah, cooked mushrooms are really only good in sauces, imo.

The only exception is enokitake

They're pretty mild, and the texture kind of reminds me of beansprouts or bamboo shoots. They're great in a stir-fry.

DeathCrabForCutie fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 31, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im contemplating getting on the black pepper train, meanwhile im looking for something a little more mild to ease into it

any thoughts

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I always thought "balsamic reduction" sounded posh and stupid, but it's just "if you cook balsamic vinegar a bit, most of the sharpeness boils off and you just get a sweet delicious juice".

Any dish where you start with onions and garlic, pretty much you can start with balsamic (or red wine) vinegar cooked until it's just a nice sweet mess, and then cook the garlic and onions in that, and it will taste amazing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

stuff is remarkably hard to find..

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Whoria Discordia posted:

Yeah, cooked mushrooms are really only good in sauces, imo.

The only exception is enokitake

They're pretty mild, and the texture kind of reminds me of beansprouts or bamboo shoots. They're great in a stir-fry.

Enoki taste like absolutely nothing and you have to chew them forever even if you cook the poo poo out of them. That said, I eat them all the time. I consider them more of a hobby than a food. I like to annoy my friends by throwing a ton of them into the hotpot.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
You eat the enoki first while your undrinkably hot ramen cools down.

I'm not a slurper, or have hot slurping technique.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Its nice they list it, its usually not. 40% actual muscle is a meat product.

Enjoy your uterus

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Put this in everything. I squeeze chorizo in to borracho beans when I need a pick me up.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

I kept seeing this at my local organic market but had never picked it up. Well, curiosity finally got the better of me and I grabbed a bucket and took some home and WOW! I wish I'd known about it sooner. I've been using this stuff in my stir-fry, in my baking, even sprinkling some into my coffee in the morning. Highly recommend.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

A Grand Egg posted:

Enjoy your uterus

username/post combo?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

I kept seeing this at my local organic market but had never picked it up. Well, curiosity finally got the better of me and I grabbed a bucket and took some home and WOW! I wish I'd known about it sooner. I've been using this stuff in my stir-fry, in my baking, even sprinkling some into my coffee in the morning. Highly recommend.

it doesnt really seem like a product that you sprinkle is it a powder

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Statutory Ape posted:

stuff is remarkably hard to find..

The stuff is actually really handy for making gravy that is delicious.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Pick posted:

The stuff is actually really handy for making gravy that is delicious.

yea thats why i look like somebodys hoarder grandma when i find it in the store

E: * ok tbh buying 3 isnt necessarily hoarder grandma, it could be considered regular grandma

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Statutory Ape posted:

im contemplating getting on the black pepper train, meanwhile im looking for something a little more mild to ease into it

any thoughts

White pepper.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

any thoughts
when columbus was getting permission and funding to find a crazy rear end trade route for "spices" the main one was actually basic rear end black pepper. its historically pretty exotic

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
tiger sauce is the ultimate in hot sauces. you think something else is better? too bad you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
crystal is a close second though