Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

gary oldmans diary posted:

the texture and consistency of cooked mushrooms never blends in at all with whatever other ingredients there are. raw mushrooms are a fine thing

Disagree but I will also gladly cook and eat a pound of mushrooms on their own. I'm not sure why the texture would need to blend, but it sure can if done right.

You need to learn how to cook mushrooms. Every kind is different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Muscle Wizard posted:

tiger sauce is the ultimate in hot sauces. you think something else is better? too bad you're wrong.

tiger sauce isn't hot sauce though?

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Like I'm a sick bastard that makes a vegan chili with 3+ kinds of mushrooms so take that into account. Mushrooms are god

I briefly dated someone that was allergic to mushrooms and cats, that was doomed from the start

One thing I suggest people keep around is a curry paste and coconut milk. I have small tubs of red / yellow / green Thai curry paste in my fridge (don't buy that Thai kitchen brand poo poo, get good paste). That means I'm only ever an easy cook away from delicious eats. You bet I put mushrooms in that curry

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rat posted:

I will also gladly cook and eat a pound of mushrooms on their own.

I did that earlier this week

Love some new mushroom prep recipes itt

Simplest is just a little Olive oil, either balsamic vinegar or teriyaki sauce, saute till amazing

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rat posted:

I briefly dated someone that was allergic to mushrooms
oh sweet im gonna start using this too. good tip. thanks

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

oh sweet im gonna start using this too. good tip. thanks
You're gonna pretend to be allergic to mushrooms?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That smokey spice! :chef:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rat posted:

One thing I suggest people keep around is a curry paste and coconut milk. I have small tubs of red / yellow / green Thai curry paste in my fridge (don't buy that Thai kitchen brand poo poo, get good paste). That means I'm only ever an easy cook away from delicious eats. You bet I put mushrooms in that curry

Same, I don't know the Thai kitchen brand but Mae Ploy is good and stupidly cheap.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Statutory Ape posted:

it doesnt really seem like a product that you sprinkle is it a powder

It is not. I know this because I bought it from Costco once when I was in college. Do not recommend

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
To put a real kick in your cooking try some Lawry's Seasoned Salt

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Rat posted:

You're gonna pretend to be allergic to mushrooms?
not really. im just givin you the business

still not gonna try to eat more mushrooms though

Who What Now posted:

To put a real kick in your cooking try some Lawry's Seasoned Salt
while im boiling pasta i float a bay leaf on top of the water. always remember to take it out before straining though

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Pick posted:

Same, I don't know the Thai kitchen brand but Mae Ploy is good and stupidly cheap.
That's the brand I buy! Bonus: it's vegan, for anyone concerned about that. Lot of pastes have shrimp or fish in them already

5 dollar tub of paste makes so many great meals :love: just know that a little does go a long way, it's easy to overdo it

not really. im just givin you the business

still not gonna try to eat more mushrooms though

More for me!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Textured Vegetable Protein, it's really cheap because it's a byproduct of producing soybean oil and is sold dried. Especially if you rehydrate it using broth instead of plain water, it's a dense chewy protein in granules roughly the size of Nerds candies or bacon bits that you can add to soups, stir-fries, and salads and also makes for a great meatless taco filling in a pinch.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Who would ever eat a mushroom? just bite into a styrofoam packing peanut why don't you!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
White people's aversion to mushrooms makes a lot more sense when you learn that a lot of them can't digest mushrooms, so they just poo poo out undigested mushroom chunks. I consider it karmic punishment for lactose intolerance.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Try swapping vanilla for tonka bean if they’re legal in your country

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Mushrooms are delicious and I love them.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

this poo poo

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
yeah lao gan ma is the poo poo

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
let anchovies into your hearts, friends

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

SHRIMP PASTE

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

The Worst Unicorn posted:

And onto your pizza

With copious amounts of onion

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Furikake is an awesome flavor bomb with most stuff.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I discovered anchovy paste last year and now it goes in basically any marinade or savoury dish I make. It's a wonder ingredient.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Mushrooms are delicious and I love them.

They contain a natural kind of MSG

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

If you want to fry something and bread it with panko, use RICE flour instead of regular flour. It comes out as a much thinner coating

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Sleeveless posted:

White people's aversion to mushrooms makes a lot more sense when you learn that a lot of them can't digest mushrooms, so they just poo poo out undigested mushroom chunks. I consider it karmic punishment for lactose intolerance.

Whoa seriously? Thank god for those 3 black people in my family tree for letting me enjoy my beloved fungi.

And yeah furikake rules.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Never heard there mushroom digestion thing. My ancestry is French and German and my while family loves them. Who knows. I'm glad though

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pick posted:

Fiddleheads are actually kind of gross, but a gross I find tasty. You can find them canned which, like, what the gently caress? They basically taste like when you're a kid and you're eating bits of random plants.

Fresh fiddleheads are a little like asparagus or artichoke.

Blanch and roast. Vegetables don't need much dressing up to shine.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Anchovy paste. Oh my god, anchovy paste. It makes pretty much anything better.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Literally A Person posted:

Fish sauce is something I never had growing up and it goes in everything vaguely Asian.

I also like using Agave syrup as a sweetener in sauces. Its more mellow than sugar.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Fish sauce is my "ooo I'm making southeast asian food tonight" umami and anchovy paste is my "ooo I'm making southern european food tonight" umami.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Worst Unicorn posted:

On that note, pickled herring.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Literally A Person posted:

absolutely. I add it to red sauces. :chefkiss:

Also, Chinese Five Spice. Sometimes I mix some, and powdered garlic, into rice I'm making in my fancy rice maker and my house smells incredible afterward. It's one of those things that once I tasted it, I immediately recognized it from other dishes. I did a five spice crusted tofu stir fry that was amazing.

MSG is great too. When I first got some, I tasted a tiny amount and it just... tasted like the essence of savory. I've been trying to add it to random things I make to give 'em a boost.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Pick posted:

Fiddleheads are actually kind of gross, but a gross I find tasty. You can find them canned which, like, what the gently caress? They basically taste like when you're a kid and you're eating bits of random plants.

I heard these things were carcinogenic. Of course so is steak and wine and I still eat those.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I heard these things were carcinogenic. Of course so is steak and wine and I still eat those.

I also eat cigarette butts and discarded gas cans so I figure I'm ok

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pick posted:

A real connoisseur.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Pick posted:

I ate a cigar butt to win a $100 bet one time. I would not advise adding them to any of your salads, stir-fries, or smoothies. Maybe purely for decorative purposes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had to build myself up so I could eat chocolate muffins, God's most despised of all muffins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

its not really a muffin that should even exist

im skeptical of chocolate donuts too