Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Statutory Ape posted:

its not really a muffin that should even exist

im skeptical of chocolate donuts too

You stay the gently caress away from my donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

The Walrus posted:

I discovered anchovy paste last year and now it goes in basically any marinade or savoury dish I make. It's a wonder ingredient.

Get a jar of salted whole anchovies, yes you have to peel the little fillets off of the little bones and mash them but the flavor is so much better.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I just had some fennel seeds mixed in with tomatoes and beans. I think I put a bit top many in but still delicious.

E: I also vaguely remember trying sumac on a kebab once. I was drunk but I remember it being like an even more delicious and deeper tasting paprika.

Capers taste like the side of a matchbox but in a delicious way.

Benny Harvey fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 1, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Chocolate chip banana muffins are goddamn incredible

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Benny Harvey posted:

I just had some fennel seeds mixed in with tomatoes and beans. I think I put a bit top many in but still delicious.

E: I also vaguely remember trying sumac on a kebab once. I was drunk but I remember it being like an even more delicious and deeper tasting paprika.

Capers taste like the side of a matchbox but in a delicious way.

Fennel seeds are great to grind and add to anything pork or generally Italian. They offer a great additionally nuanced flavor.

Fennel bulbs are a very fine substitute for celery. Similar texture but a better flavor.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Other versatile things that I recommend having around: miso paste, sambal oelek, molasses, nutritional yeast

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I consider molasses such a staple it wouldn't have occurred to me to add it here, but yes, every kitchen needs molasses.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rat posted:

Other versatile things that I recommend having around: miso paste, sambal oelek, molasses, nutritional yeast

Yeah, nutritional yeast is okay but have you tried brewer's yeast??

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Pick posted:

I consider molasses such a staple it wouldn't have occurred to me to add it here, but yes, every kitchen needs molasses.
Not every kitchen has it but every kitchen ought to! I just used a touch of it for gladly and color in gravy tonight, on point

Literally A Person posted:

Yeah, nutritional yeast is okay but have you tried brewer's yeast??
No, no I have not

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rat posted:

No, no I have not

Oh the things we have to show you my fine rodenty friend.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
sambal oelek

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rat posted:

sambal oelek

Muscle Wizard posted:

sambal oelek

sambal oelek.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
another thing I consider a staple lmao. yes, have that in your kitchen

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I consider most of these core for basic asian-inspired flavors. feel free to spit angrily at your own computer screen.

oh also i threw in the mesquite liquid smoke because i use that as well as hickory. not for asian cuisine though obv. I DO however use louisana hot sauce for some asian-inspired food because I am just messed up that way.

you will notice that's a few kinds of soy sauce. "dark soy sauce" is different than "mushroom soy sauce" is different than "thick soy sauce" is different than basic soy sauce.

some stuff, like that truly garbage-tier hoisin sauce, i use only in sparing quantities. however, do you see the molasses.............?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I should have included the eel sauce as soy sauce too, since eel sauce is literally just soy sauce, sugar, and mirin.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Pick posted:

I should have included the eel sauce as soy sauce too, since eel sauce is literally just soy sauce, sugar, and mirin.

is eel sauce for eels then? because it does not sound like it has eels in it. sorry, I don't know, I mostly eat hamburgers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

is eel sauce for eels then? because it does not sound like it has eels in it. sorry, I don't know, I mostly eat hamburgers.

Yes, it is sauce for eels. It does not contain eel.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do the eels slide into the sauce or does the sauce slide into the eels? I’m guessing eel sauce doesn’t work like chicken tonight? :thunk:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
mirin is good poo poo I go through a lot of it

I really need to start exploring those little jars of <animal> FLAVOR PASTE and what not, there are so many at my asian market

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if you did simmer eels in chicken tonight? What then? :thunk:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Do the eels slide into the sauce or does the sauce slide into the eels? I’m guessing eel sauce doesn’t work like chicken tonight? :thunk:

You literally use it like ketchup but on eel.

Code Jockey posted:

mirin is good poo poo I go through a lot of it
same. rice vinegar also.

quote:

I really need to start exploring those little jars of <animal> FLAVOR PASTE and what not, there are so many at my asian market

<PASTE> is great for lazy food. I love how that photo makes it look like I expend effort. Instead, it's that I buy Costco's frozen "stir fry" mix and load a combo of a few of those things above and then it's tasty enough to eat and different enough every time.

I so buy very good rice but I occasionally shame it by putting it into a sushi gun with lox. i'm a monster.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Literally A Person posted:

Oh the things we have to show you my fine rodenty friend.
I'm down with it. Sounds good to use for some things. Know your yeasts and when to use them

One time on a date a non-vegan cooked a vegan meal for me, some kind of alfredo and pasta. They are not much of a cook. They made the sauce about an hour ahead of time and said it smelled weird and thought it was because of one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. I smelled and saw, it and it was nasty. I asked to see what they put into the sauce.

Recipe called for soaked and finely ground cashews and nutritional yeast. They used coarsely ground almonds (skin-on) and traditional yeast. Baking yeast. Yeah it smelled awful it was fermenting

Lesson to that person is not all yeasts are equal don't blindly substitute in cooking

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've been putting doenjang and gochujang into my staple lentil stew, they're real flavor bombs and pretty cheap. Especially doenjang costs like 2.50 for a large box that lasts me many meals where I buy it.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Crack open a durian every morning for breakfast

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I just got a blowtorch, what can I do with it other than Creme Brulee and duck?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

!Klams posted:

smoke weed

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Nduja adds a kick to most Mediterranean dishes and is incredibly tasty, and uses up the rest of the pig.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Eat more organs. Heart is a really delicious cut of meat with a smooth texture and a rich taste. Kidneys and liver are even more so and they're easy as hell to cook, you just fry a slice of liver as if it was a steak. Love me some organs.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

NO.

:mad:

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

!Klams posted:

Smoke dabs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yum

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

It's just like rear end, actually eating it is better than letting it sit there and smell up the whole house

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

i like fennel but i havent found a place for it outside sausage

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

On some 'za

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Toast some, grind it, and use it in rustic tomato sauces. A little goes a long way.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Put it in your bread like a proper Swede

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baked beans. :munch:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Oscar Wild posted:

Fish sauce is something I never had growing up and it goes in everything vaguely Asian.
at our university cafeteria one day we had a recipe that called for hams covered with like more than a bottle of fish sauce each before going into the ovens
called over to the chef about the misprint and he yelled back to follow the recipe

after we threw away all the hams we had to put fans in all the kitchen windows for the next couple hours

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grevling posted:

I've been putting doenjang and gochujang into my staple lentil stew, they're real flavor bombs and pretty cheap. Especially doenjang costs like 2.50 for a large box that lasts me many meals where I buy it.

Gochujang loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dandywalken posted:

Gochujang loving rules

it does

so, so good