Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

Put it in your bread like a proper Swede

Caraway seeds are better for bread imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I had some Irish soda bread

it was really fuckin good

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dandywalken posted:

Gochujang loving rules

Gochujang is delicious and I should get some more one of these days. I used to put it on everything from burgers to fish to chicken.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
someone remind me, for proper korean flavor I use a ratio of one part gochujang to 1000 parts sugar right

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'll try it on burgs tomorrow I think. I've only used it in kimchi sadly, though it worked great there.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

im contemplating getting on the black pepper train, meanwhile im looking for something a little more mild to ease into it

any thoughts

Start out using only a little black pepper and build up.

If you don't have a grinder, you might be able to find black peppercorns in a compact refillable grinder in the herbs & spices section at your supermarket, along with a bag of black peppercorns for refilling. I bought mine about three years ago and am never going back to pre-ground. I've only needed one replacement grinder in that time. I love black pepper on eggs and (in quantity) on steaks {slobber}.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Kewpie Mayonnaise makes me understand why Japanese people love to put mayo on everything, flavor and texture wise it's completely different from American mayo.

Also if you have a stick blender you absolutely owe it to yourself to make mayonnaise from scratch at least once.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BigBadSteve posted:

Start out using only a little black pepper and build up.

If you don't have a grinder, you might be able to find black peppercorns in a compact refillable grinder in the herbs & spices section at your supermarket, along with a bag of black peppercorns for refilling. I bought mine about three years ago and am never going back to pre-ground. I've only needed one replacement grinder in that time. I love black pepper on eggs and (in quantity) on steaks {slobber}.

Just lol if you grind your peppercorns. Real pepperheads like me eat ‘em whole.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Real pepperheads

all fandoms are toxic

most don't take it literally

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Sleeveless posted:

Also if you have a stick blender you absolutely owe it to yourself to make mayonnaise from scratch at least once.

oil, egg, mustard, a minute or two to emulsify. also you should, at least once, do that trick where you whip skim milk or whip instant coffee, sugar and water.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Voice of Labor posted:

whip instant coffee, sugar and water.

oh really

just got a stick blender and gon do mayo tomorrow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dawg it is like a cross between marshmallow creme and coffee nips. there are videos and recipes and stuff

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

have i mention my world famous red sauce?

i just take everything in the kitchen thats red and/or spicy and mix all up.

its knocks it out of the park so hard in lands in another park in another flavortown.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Cum (jizz) and also rapeseed oil

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
this thread is about to make me waste hella money at hmart. can some one please recommend me a sick korean recipe that an utter fool can prepare.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Muscle Wizard posted:

this thread is about to make me waste hella money at hmart. can some one please recommend me a sick korean recipe that an utter fool can prepare.
kimchi stew

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Code Jockey posted:

someone remind me, for proper korean flavor I use a ratio of one part gochujang to 1000 parts sugar right

Close, one part gochujang to 1000 parts sugar and vinegar solution

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

yea but how do i make it? i don't trust google but i do trust my good friends on something awful dot com.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

stuff is remarkably hard to find..

I couldn't find it either so had to look for something to substitute, I'll be making lunch in an hour we'll see

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Muscle Wizard posted:

yea but how do i make it? i don't trust google but i do trust my good friends on something awful dot com.

Check out recipes from Emily Kim, aka Maangchi. I have her cookbook, they're easy to follow and pretty simple.

To contribute a bit to the thread I use a lot of spice mixes, sometimes homemade sometimes store bought.

Creole seasoning, Madras curry powder, and garam masala.

Creole seasoning is pretty easy to make at home, the other two are probably easier to buy unless you cook a lot of Indian already.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 3, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

I couldn't find it either so had to look for something to substitute, I'll be making lunch in an hour we'll see

Get back to work mr president nows not the time

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

black himalayan sea salt

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i like fennel but i havent found a place for it outside sausage

I use it in Hungarian pork chops. My mom always served it with spazelle. Edit- fennel seeds

imandyyo fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 3, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Wild ducks from the pond.

Semi-wild peacocks from the park.

Free range goats from the petting zoo.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 3, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Made some purchases because of this thread

Will report back with results

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Chinese cooking wine was the key for me to under how to make a stirfry as a process rather than a hodgepodge of flavours and vegetables

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

imandyyo posted:

I use it in Hungarian pork chops. My mom always served it with spazelle. Edit- fennel seeds

Spaetzle fried in butter and/or maybe some bacon fat is carb heaven. I like to mix it in with some good sauerkraut in a bowl and go to town without shame.

Maybe a little shame.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

imandyyo posted:

Pork is always good with fennel, crack some fennel seed and slap it along with the salt and pepper onto some thick loin chops and then just grill them or saute in butter.

If you think fennel seed is good get your hands on some fennel pollen, it's even better. It's expensive but a little goes a long way. Dill pollen is amazing too.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Head cheese gets a bad reputation, probably for the name. However, I've found it useful to cook with. It tends to have a lot of flavor and a lot of connective tissue, both of which I like.

I'm not sure it's meant to be "cooked with" but I do.

I've never had it.. But.. would it be good for a stock, you think?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

I've never had it.. But.. would it be good for a stock, you think?

That's one thing I use it for, yep.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Muscle Wizard posted:

ooo try to make budae jjigae. It's Korean but also can be American as hell. Throw them hot dogs in

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Sichuan peppercorns in a grinder, just sprinkle it on everything.
It has a mouth-numbing spice with a sort of lemony flavor on top. Good on many things.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

Sichuan peppercorns in a grinder, just sprinkle it on everything.
It has a mouth-numbing spice with a sort of lemony flavor on top. Good on many things.

been meaning to try these

Canned chipotles in adobo are wonderful. I made tacos last night and made a sauce with canned chipotles in adobo, tomato paste, garlic, salt, lime and it was pretty good, I think I should've added a little vinegar of some kind and def more garlic

e. I used my new stick blender for it and the thing fuckin' rules, so easy and none of the waste that happens with my big blender

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Myron Baloney posted:

Pork is always good with fennel, crack some fennel seed and slap it along with the salt and pepper onto some thick loin chops and then just grill them or saute in butter.

If you think fennel seed is good get your hands on some fennel pollen, it's even better. It's expensive but a little goes a long way. Dill pollen is amazing too.

Pollens? Just when I thought nothing food related would shock me anymore.

If it wasn't said earlier dill seed is amazing.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Code Jockey posted:

been meaning to try these

Canned chipotles in adobo are wonderful. I made tacos last night and made a sauce with canned chipotles in adobo, tomato paste, garlic, salt, lime and it was pretty good, I think I should've added a little vinegar of some kind and def more garlic

e. I used my new stick blender for it and the thing fuckin' rules, so easy and none of the waste that happens with my big blender

canned chipotles are one of my secret ingredients that I break out when I'm trying to impress people
except i'm not the kind of person who won't give awqay my good ingredients cuz I want everyone to make good food

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The pork stuff lists salivary glands AND lymph nodes so you're getting more bang for your buck.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Natto, love the stuff,

Oh and Centigor milk if you are brave enough to harvest some.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is allegedly soy sauce but it's better in every way and works more like maggi or fish sauce in how you use it

also has anyone said fish sauce yet goddamn fish sauce owns

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

The Moon Monster posted:

The pork stuff lists salivary glands AND lymph nodes so you're getting more bang for your buck.

Beef glands are one thing

Pork glands are over the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

shame on an IGA posted:

This is allegedly soy sauce but it's better in every way and works more like maggi or fish sauce in how you use it

also has anyone said fish sauce yet goddamn fish sauce owns

Fish sauce rocks. I wish I was brave enough to experiment more with it.