Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grey 17 is missing is my personal worst, it squandered such a cool idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Believers is great - way better than TKO or Infection. Sometimes you don't get to win.

The ending was good

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 20, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Guess who's a big dumb idiot who didn't notice which b5 thread he was in.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
S1E17 - Legacies

Enjoyed this one. The Minbari caste system is an interesting idea. The telepath girl was a terrible actor.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1.E18/19 ∙ A Voice in the Wilderness: Part 1&2

Oho now we are getting somewhere. Cool episode but a few things I might have missed. They build a station next to a planet but never checked it out? What?

Some choice dialogue
"Ivanovo is god"

"I think I've got to go to the bathroom"
I know what you mean "
:dafuq:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

S1.E18/19 ∙ A Voice in the Wilderness: Part 1&2

Oho now we are getting somewhere. Cool episode but a few things I might have missed. They build a station next to a planet but never checked it out? What?

Atmosphere wasn’t breathable, they thought it was uninhabited/uninhabitable. The seismic activity we see in this episode opened up the fissures that led to the docking area, and thus, the machine.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Also where the gently caress is G,'Kar?he's been missing for a few episodes now

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

Also where the gently caress is G,'Kar?he's been missing for a few episodes now

One thing that I really appreciate about B5, is that it doesn’t feel the need to shoehorn main cast members into plot lines where they don’t belong. Folks will disappear for a few weeks, then come back for a while, etc.

All that is to say, there is plenty of G’kar to come.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

One thing that I really appreciate about B5, is that it doesn’t feel the need to shoehorn main cast members into plot lines where they don’t belong. Folks will disappear for a few weeks, then come back for a while, etc.

All that is to say, there is plenty of G’kar to come.

I mean, the alternate explanation is that not everyone in the main cast was contracted to do all 22 episodes every season, so the show juggles who is or isn't appearing from this set. But you generally aren't going to detect this limitation as a problem.

And it arguably makes up for that with recurring characters who only appear in a few episodes, but with such effect that you'd swear they appeared in twice as many episodes as they actually do. For every cringeworthy performance by a guest star (and there's a lot in S1), there's a sparkling performance; that's especially true with the aliens, where the preponderance of actors really nail their performances.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Narsham posted:

I mean, the alternate explanation is that not everyone in the main cast was contracted to do all 22 episodes every season, so the show juggles who is or isn't appearing from this set. But you generally aren't going to detect this limitation as a problem.

That said, my understanding is that most of the main cast did have 22 episode contracts though. (Season 5 is an exception).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1.E20 ∙ Babylon Squared

Oh old friends tachyons make an appearance. I guessed the commander was gonna be on the suit, but I thought it would be a slightly forward in time one, not a grey Jeff. Cool setup.
Zathras was an odd inclusion, bit of a silly character for such a serious foreboding episode.

S1.E21 ∙ The Quality of Mercy
This didn't go in the direction I thought it would. Nice tie up of the two plots too. Wtf Lando used his sex tentacles to cheat at poker.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1E22 - Chrysalis

Lando you are such a dumb arse
The cocoon is weird, kinda wish they gave a little bit more detail but I guess that's coming next season.

So season 1 done as yeah not bad. Better than some star trek first seasons.
A small spattering of great episodes, lots of good ones and a few stinkers. But the show has its charms in me now.
Looking forward to where it goes now.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

S1E22 - Chrysalis

Lando you are such a dumb arse
The cocoon is weird, kinda wish they gave a little bit more detail but I guess that's coming next season.

So season 1 done as yeah not bad. Better than some star trek first seasons.
A small spattering of great episodes, lots of good ones and a few stinkers. But the show has its charms in me now.
Looking forward to where it goes now.

That's basically the opinion many people leave season 1 with - some less than stellar episodes, some 'ok' and some that have glimmers of the shine that the show is known for.
Glad you're enjoying it so far, looking forward to seeing more reactions to future seasons
Character thoughts so far, winners/losers?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh don't worry, there will be an explanation next season.

The show really kicks into higher gear next season, have fun :)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Iymarra posted:

Character thoughts so far, winners/losers?

Commander Jeff is good. Bit stereotypical of a role but the actor plays it well.

Garibaldi I've warmed to with his back story but don't find him that interesting.

Ivanova is great, she's a great character who isn't just a pretty face or just a male character gender swapped which for the 90s is high praise. Might be my favourite character ATM.

Lando got better as the season went along, he was a bit silly to begin with but he's got some proper depth now.

G'Kar great character , I enjoy every plot with him.

Doctor is fine. Actor is fine but don't know much about him except the standard doctor stuff.

Talia Winters, awful. I sigh every time the plot starts involving her. She's just a terrible actor.

Delenn . She good but everything about her is mystery so it's hard to form an opinion. Actor is pretty good though.

Kosh - :iiam:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Wtf Jeff's gone!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

Wtf Jeff's gone!

Now that you’ve reached The Moment, here’s some Behind the Scenes facts:

Michael O’Hare, the actor who played Jeff Sinclair, was suffering from a fairly extreme case of paranoid schizophrenia - during the year of shooting season one, that mental illness was exacerbated - being surrounded by people in alien costumes, combined with the pressure and the scheduling involved in being the lead on a TV show was causing him to freak out more and more. It got to the point where he just could not continue on the show. Only JMS, the shows writer/creator, and a select few others even knew what was going on. They kept that secret for ~20 years until O’Hare passed away a few years ago, even as idiotic fan wars over which captain people preferred raged and people sent JMS death threats for writing Sinclair out of the show, etc etc etc. it was all very 90’s Usenet and very stupid.

Anyway, it’s a sad story, but also, one about a production that did right by a very troubled man who desperately needed help. And besides, Sheridan is great. You’ll like Sheridan.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well you are right, so far I like Sinclair.

I also note the CGI is a definitely step up so far. Still dated but no longer Atari Jaguar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One of the cool parts of it being 90s CG is it improves a lot very quickly.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Did Mira Fulan get sick of makeup?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

Short answer: No, this was always the plan before she was even cast for the role.

In fact, the original plan had her as a man prior to the Chrysalis thing - but the voice modulation tech at the time was awful and she sounded like garbage so they gave up on that. There’s an echo of what was planned in her makeup from the Gathering (the pilot movie) which is much more vaguely androgynous than she was presented throughout Season 1 after that.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

Delenn's metamorphosis was always intended to happen, but in fact it was originally planned to also include changing her gender from male to female. This plan was dropped during the production of the pilot.

e:f,b

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahhh that's a shame, that would have been a cool plot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah. Could do it now but the tech just wasn't there at the time. At least not at B5's budget/production schedule.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. Could do it now but the tech just wasn't there at the time. At least not at B5's budget/production schedule.

I think the correct way to do it now would be to cast a nonbinary actor that is able to play the transition effectively, rather than trying to do it with SFX.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Man why are all the human ships so loving ugly.
Human flagship looks like some junker transport. The other races are fine.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

We're relatively new kids on the block, not too far removed from a remote tribe developing the car with limited external info.

The human designs employed a blocky/minimalist/Soviet era aesthetic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They all have artificial gravity, we don't

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebmojo posted:

They all have artificial gravity, we don't

Not all of them do. You can tell when a ship doesn't have artificial gravity because the crew wear seatbelts. (Human warships do it with rotating sections, replacing gravity with centrifugal force.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sorry yes you are correct.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Humans spent trillions of dollars making rotating ship parts.

Narns just used shoulder belts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mega Comrade posted:

Humanity looked at the amount of beauty allotted to them by the universe, and distilled it all into the Starfury attack fighter. This, they said, is our magnum opus. It's light and fragile and beautiful.

A short time later, a military engineer said "gently caress that, who needs beauty?" and made the Omega-class battlecrusier, which is my (and many others') favorite design in the series. It's a junker, but it's a junker that exudes menace and begets awe.

Spoiler is for the name of a ship you might not have seen yet. Can't recall its first appearance.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ConfusedUs posted:

Spoiler is for the name of a ship you might not have seen yet. Can't recall its first appearance.

The first one seen is the Agamemnon, S2E1.

(The design is also directly inspired by the Alexei Leonov from 2010)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Omega owns. Coolest ship design in the show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Probably best to stop the discussion there, though. There are many cool ships, that is all you need to know.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Season 2 had been good so far.

But gotta comment on episodes 5
wtf doctor, she just woke up, her husband is dead and you're hitting on her. This is some Bashir level creepyness.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mega Comrade posted:

wtf doctor, she just woke up, her husband is dead and you're hitting on her. This is some Bashir level creepyness.

Yes! He's basically a main character in a soap opera, in his head

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol took me over half the episode to notice Amis was Barclay.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah. He's a creep at this point for sure.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Noooooo A Talia episode :(