Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
All capitalism is predicated on crime of some description, so suggesting that London is somehow worse than other parts of the UK because of it, only makes sense if you live on a commune and your only exposure to the outside world is EastEnders.

The 489 bus route does not exist in London. It was probably stolen by Bulgarian gangsters

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

So it’s been one year since we started the pod, and as a present to celebrate this, here is a mockumentary episode that was a lot of fun to make! Enjoy :)

https://praxiscast.podbean.com/e/episode-49-a-very-special-mockumentary-by-curtis-adams/

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What car you've got, how big the (main) telly is, and where your next holiday is to.

we got rid of the tv a few months ago to make the place a bit more homely but I was looking into getting a projector. that dream died when I read that decent lcd ones cost £400 and you have to replace the £200 bulbs every year

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

these days if you say you're from London you'll be probed and thrown in kitty jail

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

like I thought this thread generally read off-handed broadly-correct-but-very-vague statements like "the british empire was a brutal exploitative vehicle of oppression for aristocrats and industrialists" or "the first world war was a colossal waste of life for the sake of the egos of a handful of posturing old men" without assuming the least charitable interpretation and getting offended on behalf of great-grandad who died in the war, served loyally for a cause he believed in, are you saying he's some kind of muppet, why do you hate our troops you loving communist etc.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 31, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Why is a dumb Yank mod touching this thread? Calling bad posters cunts is a time-tested UKMT tradition. We have our own IK who does plenty of keeping the thread nicely chill when it needs to be, go away. Calling Twisto a white noise poster, what utter bollocks.

Anyway https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1300207833552687104?s=20

Shocked to see Maajid Nawaz carrying water for far right. loving terrific that we endure years of Labour being accused of tolerating anti-semitism while we just go normalising CULTURAL MARXISM which is less an anti-semitic dogwhistle as it is foghorn. "Oh, it just means the Frankfurt School", mate, what's more likely? loving Nigel Farage having read Marcuse & Adorno & Benjamin et al, or him aping the rhetoric of Adolf Hitler's screeching about Cultural Bolshevism but through a US lens of Pat Buchanan?

Oh, he just meant the Frankfurt School. Surely there's nothing antisemitic about blaming all the ills of the world on a group of German academics who had to flee the Nazis for... reasons.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Breath Ray posted:

we got rid of the tv a few months ago to make the place a bit more homely but I was looking into getting a projector. that dream died when I read that decent lcd ones cost £400 and you have to replace the £200 bulbs every year

i dunno i've got an old projector that I got squirrelled away for me from a school refit by a mate and its i'm sure poo poo now (it was never any good in sunlight) but given that it was second hand I never replaced the bulb. didn't use it much i suppose.

tvs are so cheap and thin now its probably better to just have a big wall sized projector screen come down to hide a big telly behind it and roll it up again to use the telly if that makes sense.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 31, 2020

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, he just meant the Frankfurt School. Surely there's nothing antisemitic about blaming all the ills of the world on a group of German academics who had to flee the Nazis for... reasons.

Also, I've read Benjamin, Adorno et al, and none of them were into radical deconstruction the way the right (and credulous 'centrists' like Nawaz) like to claim. Benjamin was mainly a cultural critic who cared about what modernity was, and Adorno was a grumpy Marxist who mainly wanted to tell the masses how easily-conned they were.

"Deconstruction" is a term that is more associated with post-war French academics, most obviously Derrida, and even supposed arch-post-modernists like Foucault do, in fact, make claims to truth - they're just interested in interrogating what validates a claim to truth, particularly in humanities.

So why talk about the Frankfurt School as though they're actually Derrida?

1. Not very many people have read the Frankfurt School. Critical theory had its peak in the 80s and now has little institutional support, especially in the UK. While it's integrated in humanities curriculums at the university level, it's presented alongside other critical approaches like post-colonialism, eco-criticism, or feminist critique.
2. The Frankfurt School was a big influence on later cultural theorists like our own Stuart Hall, who would eventually get an ear in the New Left and in the Blair Years. By attacking the Frankfurt School, they're really attacking the New Left project and by extension most variants of modern leftism.
3. Critical theory approaches are grounded in analysis of the underlying meanings of texts and thinking beyond the surface meaning and presentation of media. Politicians and their media allies aren't exactly fond of people doing critical readings of their messaging.
4. A lot of the Frankfurt School had Jewish lineage.

If you want to sound intellectually sound while also undermining the intellectual heritage of your opponents and flirting with antisemitism, the Frankfurt School is a great candidate for your perfectly valid and in no way biased criticism of Marxist-Bolshevist-Jewish thought, in a way that attacking the actual academics who came up with postmodernist ideas (mostly white French dudes) just isn't.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/1300157295914029056?s=20

how can you call something antisemitic when you yourself are made of antisemitism

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

New pod is out and it's some of the best work yet! Really hope you enjoy the interview!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1300127114352644098?s=19

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

XMNN posted:

https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/1300157295914029056?s=20

how can you call something antisemitic when you yourself are made of antisemitism

Is this guy's gig just having the opposite of good opinions for money?

https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/1300112908089733121

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Is it Adorno who was the miserable bore mad at the plebs for listening to jazz instead of classical music? I can't ever remember which of the Frankfurt School that was but I remember reading a summary of it and wanting to take the dull oval office and flush his head down the loo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

StarkingBarfish posted:

https://twitter.com/MartinDaubney/status/1300112908089733121

Games are sewage, A Good Metaphor

(I say this as an avid gamer)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah, probably, it's a good gig if you can get it and stomach having to post fash poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I love his profile pic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The places he lists in his bio as broadcasting for definitely have enocouraging names.

Unlocked UK and Westmonster UK...

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 31, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

forkboy84 posted:

Is it Adorno who was the miserable bore mad at the plebs for listening to jazz instead of classical music? I can't ever remember which of the Frankfurt School that was but I remember reading a summary of it and wanting to take the dull oval office and flush his head down the loo.
That was Adorno, yeah. Been a while since I read it, but iirc his criticism was something like "jazz provides a framework (12 bar blues or w/e) within which creativity may be displayed, but creativity can never exist outside the framework; in this way it reinforces the general mode of capitalist life". A decade or so later a bunch of jazz musicians agreed that the structures were too confining and invented free jazz, but it never got the popular acceptance of the "restricted" version.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Why is a dumb Yank mod touching this thread? Calling bad posters cunts is a time-tested UKMT tradition. We have our own IK who does plenty of keeping the thread nicely chill when it needs to be, go away. Calling Twisto a white noise poster, what utter bollocks.

Anyway https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1300207833552687104?s=20

Shocked to see Maajid Nawaz carrying water for far right. loving terrific that we endure years of Labour being accused of tolerating anti-semitism while we just go normalising CULTURAL MARXISM which is less an anti-semitic dogwhistle as it is foghorn. "Oh, it just means the Frankfurt School", mate, what's more likely? loving Nigel Farage having read Marcuse & Adorno & Benjamin et al, or him aping the rhetoric of Adolf Hitler's screeching about Cultural Bolshevism but through a US lens of Pat Buchanan?

The loving infinite amount of goodwill to the barely hiding it fascists will always floor me. I know he's also a barely concealed fascist what with his Tommy Robinson friendship but still.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CGI Stardust posted:

That was Adorno, yeah. Been a while since I read it, but iirc his criticism was something like "jazz provides a framework (12 bar blues or w/e) within which creativity may be displayed, but creativity can never exist outside the framework; in this way it reinforces the general mode of capitalist life". A decade or so later a bunch of jazz musicians agreed that the structures were too confining and invented free jazz, but it never got the popular acceptance of the "restricted" version.

Yeah, I forgot he wasn't writing that during the free jazz period because it's just what I automatically think about when I think about jazz. Not quite so bad but I still think there's value in innovating in art with rules and the idea it reinforces the general mode of capitalism seems a stretch.

Kind of wish Adorno was alive today to get mad at all the "leftist" podcasts that exist to critique popular culture, like superhero films. He would hate it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

The loving infinite amount of goodwill to the barely hiding it fascists will always floor me. I know he's also a barely concealed fascist what with his Tommy Robinson friendship but still.

He also apparently had Andy Ngo the dumb gently caress Yank who covers fash groups at protests and once got milkshaked and claimed it caused a bleed in his brain on his radio show yesterday.

Nawaz loving sucks, LBC is hot garbage, free press is an illusion

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
London Breakfast Cunts.

Which is in no way meant to imply that all 8.985 million Londoners are cunts or enjoy breakfast, or that LBC are only cunts between the hours of 6am and 11am.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

He also apparently had Andy Ngo the dumb gently caress Yank who covers fash groups at protests and once got milkshaked and claimed it caused a bleed in his brain on his radio show yesterday.

You'd think getting the poo poo kicked out of him because people thought he was Muslim based on his skin colour might have taught him a lesson

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

He is constantly mentioning that he got Robinson to leave the EDL, even though it was obvious at the time that this was a publicity stunt and Robinson hasn't exactly stopped being fash since. I'd call him an idiot but he seems quite savvy in how he manages his profile and the things he says.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1300388085763575808?s=19

Lol

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

cool stuff about shelters

I did the tour of Clapham South shelter with all round train expert John Bull off London Reconnections back in 2016. They said they were going to make it a regular tour but I don't think they ever did, was fascinating. They were hiring it out as dry document storage for years, but all the original bedframes are still there that housed the people sheltering, then US Military and later the Windrush generation that came in temporarily until they were housed in the surrounding area. There's still graffiti from the 40s/50s on the walls.
The TFL guides knew their stuff, there's even the stairs still there up to the Northern Line platforms, albeit blocked with tons of piled up metal railings, and for some reason they don't know which part of the platform it would've come out on, despite I would imagine it being fairly easy to work out.
I have a load of pics I can upload to Imgur if anyone's interested.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Former SNP MSP & prospective Edinburgh Central candidate (if you've not been following, this is Ruth Davidson's seat, she's stepping down & the Nats hope to win it back & there's been a fight that's a microcosm of the internal struggle in the party with ex-MP Angus Robertson (who is pro-Sturgeon & was SNP leader at Westminster) & current MP & transphobe shitbag Joanna Cherry (Pro sex-pest Salmond, in case you can't work out who I hope gets the nomination. Actually I checked & she was told she could only be considered if she stepped down as an MP which I approve of)) Marco Biagi has a big dumb Twitter thread which isn't really relevant but a tiny part annoyed me.

https://twitter.com/MarcoGBiagi/status/1300221920646959104?s=20

So he's basically telling people the only way a second indy ref will be considered is if there's an SNP majority returned next year because you see *fart noises* the first ever Green MSP didn't support independence in 2014. Even though he stepped down as an MSP in 2011 and the Greens have been explicit in their 2016 manifesto that they are for independence. This boils my piss ever so slightly because it's disingenuous & stupid & part of why I resent the Nats so. For the uninitiated, at Holyrood you vote twice. Once for your local constituency (Inverness & Nairn for me) & then once in your region (Highlands & Islands, which consists of 8 constituencies stretching from Shetland to Campbelltown). Constituency vote is First-Past-The-Post, region vote is more complicated & uses a form of PR that is related to how many constituency seats you won in the region.

Anyway, the point is that the SNP are expected to do at least as well as they in 2016, where they won 59 out of 73 constituency seats, including clean sweeps of every constituency in Central Scotland & Glasgow regions. And the way that this all works means that in Central Scotland the Nats got 129,082 votes in the Regional list, almost twice what Labour got, but Labour got 4 MSPs, Tories got 3 & no one else got any. If 35,000 of those SNP voters went to the Greens then the Greens would have picked up more votes in the list than the Tories, which would mean less pro-union & more pro-indy MSPs, possibly 2 more. The only regions the SNP got MSPs in were Highlands & Islands (1 from 39.7% of the votes) & South Scotland (3 from 38.3% because they "only" got 4 constituency MSPs while the Tories got 4 & Labour 1). Nationally they got 41.7% of the vote & again, they won 4 MSPs for that. Tories got 22.9% & 24 MSPs, 19.1% for 21 MSPs, the Greens got 6.6% & 6 MSPs & it could've been more if Nat Zoomers weren't as stupid as this Biagi oval office and actually made an attempt to understand even the broadstrokes of the electoral system in place.

It was a system essentially designed to ensure the Nats wouldn't get a majority in the Scottish Parliament, so pretending it's a realistic goal rather than that 2011 was an extreme outlier is moronic but gently caress me, I guess purity to the Nats is more important than anything else. I realise that about 4 people in the thread care but I'm quite mad about them failing to learn from 2016.

This has been so much fun.

https://twitter.com/cymrurouge/status/1300405165976150017?s=20

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can't wait to see the results of the poll explained as either:

A: Ashdown wins, the country has resoundingly shown their support for the popular candidate.

B: Corbyn wins, the poll was overrun by left wing Corbynista spies.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If Corbyn wins it'll be "bots". Its always bots because Chorley is absolutely one of those guys that could never fathom why people don't like him and might like Corbyn, so they just assume they're not real.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

To go back to boring you with ScotPol
https://twitter.com/agcolehamilton/status/1135928150188339200?s=19

"That aged well" is my favourite genre of tweet

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Goldskull posted:

I did the tour of Clapham South shelter with all round train expert John Bull off London Reconnections back in 2016. They said they were going to make it a regular tour but I don't think they ever did, was fascinating. They were hiring it out as dry document storage for years, but all the original bedframes are still there that housed the people sheltering, then US Military and later the Windrush generation that came in temporarily until they were housed in the surrounding area. There's still graffiti from the 40s/50s on the walls.
The TFL guides knew their stuff, there's even the stairs still there up to the Northern Line platforms, albeit blocked with tons of piled up metal railings, and for some reason they don't know which part of the platform it would've come out on, despite I would imagine it being fairly easy to work out.
I have a load of pics I can upload to Imgur if anyone's interested.

TFL has been doing regular guided tours for years now, probably since 2018ish.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I hadn't thought about Jo Swinson in months and now you've reminded me the only thing I can remember about her is squirrel murders.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Corbyn won that poll btw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is extremely grim

https://twitter.com/simulacrax/status/1300012189076553728?s=20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Maybe don't go taking photos (and soil samples) of a WMD military installation in a brutal dictatorship? I mean how hard is that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Maybe don't go taking photos (and soil samples) of a WMD military installation in a brutal dictatorship? I mean how hard is that.

I get what you're saying but this is 100% the stuff that journalists should be doing and what all the people who write columns like "Jeremy Corbyn's humus recipe shows the perverse lengths he'll go to get power" are stealing valour from.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Honestly after all my efforts I'm surprised calling a bad poster a naughty word was what got me my first probation.

peanut- posted:

I hadn't thought about Jo Swinson in months and now you've reminded me the only thing I can remember about her is squirrel murders.

It was the best part of that election tbh.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

peanut- posted:

Good news then, it's rumoured that the new LD leader, Ed Davey, used to kill weasels for sport

Gorn Myson posted:

If Corbyn wins it'll be "bots". Its always bots because Chorley is absolutely one of those guys that could never fathom why people don't like him and might like Corbyn, so they just assume they're not real.
Corbyn did win, and the live reaction was a threefold
1) well our listener base and Twitter's user base aren't the same
2) even if Corbyn won that poll we did another poll of our listeners that he didn't win
3) [through gritted teeth] anyway, it was just. for. fun.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

I get what you're saying but this is 100% the stuff that journalists should be doing and what all the people who write columns like "Jeremy Corbyn's humus recipe shows the perverse lengths he'll go to get power" are stealing valour from.

If you put your faith in Thatcher, Major, Blair, Cameron, May or Johnson to come to your rescue in your time of need, you're going to die an atheist.
Brown, I could maybe see putting in the effort, but I wouldn't bank on that.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

The Deleter posted:

Honestly after all my efforts I'm surprised calling a bad poster a naughty word was what got me my first probation.

was willing to just accept you have all failed to do the required investigations and reading but I've seen variants of this a couple of times today, and i have to say, i like how it can't be as simple as you all like a certain city and i hurt your feelings when i criticised it. no, that would make you defensive and tribalistic oafs, so it has to be contorted into some grander thing about how i was doing racism to londoners, the most oppressed people in the history of the world, and the factual and accurate posts are actually white noise/trolling because you live in london and therefore there cannot be anything deeply wrong with it.

we were even treated to gems like "if it didn't happen there, it would happen somewhere else so what can you do" and "describing what floats londons economy in plain terms is doing violence to maureen the pensioner and anyone else who lives there" and so on. remarkable work from people who think nothing of saying entire countries like china or iran are "brutal", "corrupt", "dictatorships", "genocidal shitholes" etc etc. grow up, frankly. grow the hell up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

was willing to just accept you have all failed to do the required investigations and reading but I've seen variants of this a couple of times today, and i have to say, i like how it can't be as simple as you all like a certain city and i hurt your feelings when i criticised it. no, that would make you defensive and tribalistic oafs, so it has to be contorted into some grander thing about how i was doing racism to londoners, the most oppressed people in the history of the world, and the factual and accurate posts are actually white noise/trolling because you live in london and therefore there cannot be anything deeply wrong with it.

we were even treated to gems like "if it didn't happen there, it would happen somewhere else so what can you do" and "describing what floats londons economy in plain terms is doing violence to maureen the pensioner and anyone else who lives there" and so on. remarkable work from people who think nothing of saying entire countries like china or iran are "brutal", "corrupt", "dictatorships", "genocidal shitholes" etc etc. grow up, frankly. grow the hell up.

What are you trying to say here?