Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

If that's what he got from the man on the street, I think we have a solution to the London/London problem.

West London is poo poo.

I mean you know who's constituency that is now? Big John "Arm" McDonnell.

491: ON THIS DAY IN 1997 (yeah gently caress you I'm bringing back 'on this day') the princcess of are 'arts died in a mysterious car crash.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

We usually have words for people who claim to hear disembodied voices.
His Holiness?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't recommend it because it has the same energy as yelling at turds on the pavement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z61W-ZkmYtU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao: I'd like to revise my answer for words for people who claim to hear disembodied voices.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
In coronavirus news cases in Bolton, where restrictions are being lifted, have now doubled. It now has the second highest rate in Greater Manchester.

The lifting of restrictions is clearly linked to the progress of the disease and unrelated to it having a Tory council.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The fact that this oval office was able to freely walk the streets without receiving a brick to the skull is a far greater blemish to the reputation of the fine people of London than anything else I've heard recently.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Both of these rapidly run into a problem that should be a lot more obvious to people on the Left, or at least I'd hope would be - that by saying the problem is London, you're saying the solution is no more London. I've heard lots of variants on this ITT and elsewhere, even (most ridiculously) immediately after the EU referendum. Now quite apart from the blatant stupidity of this argument - you could Fight Club the entirety of the City and Canary Wharf and all of this poo poo *would* happen elsewhere because it's a societal problem, not evil eldritch powers emanating from clay soil - even if it were true, you're still saying "Yeah gently caress it, 9 million people are acceptably collateral damage because gently caress them for living in London".

I've literally never seen anyone, even the most obnoxious scot nats, make anything close to the jump you're making in that first sentence.

People are being imperfect maybe in not communicating/understanding the difference between the City of London and London fine but there's no need to defend the right to life of the normal people that live there

is not a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At some point if you keep having to issue corrections because people are taking what you say in a way that you did not intend it's probably a good idea to either stop saying it or find another way to say it because the only person it's serving if you don't is yourself. And it's rude to involve other people in your masturbation habits.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

same, but for inarticulate boomers getting upset because they understand criticism of british adventurism abroad as criticism of britishness itself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does come with the implicit assumption that you care about convincing the other person which I would hope would apply ITT, and would question the utility of applying to people whose greatest possible contribution to the world would be to die as quickly as possible.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I put it to you that London is poo poo. My thesis centers on the fact that London is in the UK. The UK is poo poo, ergo London is too.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

cool OK so now I'm offended on behalf of the baby boomer generation (because I am one/care about people in that cohort). I will charitably assume you aren't actually advocating democide and await your apology/clarification with bated breath

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

OwlFancier posted:

At some point if you keep having to issue corrections because people are taking what you say in a way that you did not intend it's probably a good idea to either stop saying it or find another way to say it because the only person it's serving if you don't is yourself. And it's rude to involve other people in your masturbation habits.

Even taken as a truism that's dogshit though, if we're assuming all points are equally potentially valid then the dissident view which people are misinterpreting is inherently more valid, because the broader view is more likely to be imposed by the superstructure.

If you're constantly giving corrections/specificities then keep at it because you're arguing against an assumed knowledge, that's based, it's only when you're ignoring the counter arguments and being dogmatic that you're playing the oval office and are maybe being rude.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Lt. Danger posted:

cool OK so now I'm offended on behalf of the baby boomer generation (because I am one/care about people in that cohort). I will charitably assume you aren't actually advocating democide and await your apology/clarification with bated breath

I will retract my comment if you tell me about your brave acts of heroism on the beaches of normandy.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I can tell you about my brave acts of hedonism on the beaches of normandy if that counts??

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Lt. Danger posted:

I can tell you about my brave acts of hedonism on the beaches of normandy if that counts??

Work something in about polishing your spitfire and I'll take it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
all bbc comedy will henceforth need to contain at least 50% jokes about diane abbot getting a number wrong once by volume

https://twitter.com/TiernanDouieb/status/1300545909412032512

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

cool OK so now I'm offended on behalf of the baby boomer generation (because I am one/care about people in that cohort).

This is the normal state of mind for them, yes, even absent any outside stimulus.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The term “London” has not referred to the square-mile City of London since like the 18th century.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Miftan posted:

I mean you know who's constituency that is now? Big John "Arm" McDonnell.
Hes a loving quality constituency MP and I know a full people that would be full Tory but sing his praises for the way hes gone out of his way to help them.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Comrade Fakename posted:

The term “London” has not referred to the square-mile City of London since like the 18th century.

Obviously untrue.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

This is the normal state of mind for them, yes, even absent any outside stimulus.

cowardice!

to be clear I think this thread and the online left in general has a number of catchphrases/assumed positions (like "death to america" "ACAB" "the british empire was a force for evil" "corbyn voted for an asteroid to strike the earth and, hell, same") that we understand as exaggerated rhetoric which obviously isn't literally true but does abbreviate other, actually true things. equally I think we tend to have contempt for people outside our community who come across these concepts and, lacking our knowledge/perspective, become angry or defensive ("all lives matter!") - like, duh, of course we don't literally mean every police officer is a bad person you coddled ignoramus, we mean the purpose of the institution of police is :words:

so this feels like somewhat ironic selective outrage where casual off-colour statements suddenly need to be interrogated because maybe when that internet poster described London as a den of scum and villainy they literally meant all 9 million people in London are thieves, muggers and con-men, and this slander cannot stand. I doubt anyone here would argue we should moderate our rhetoric in case it risks distressing a conservative/uninformed voter - isn't that ultimately our criticism of Starmer/the Labour soft left?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wait, what?

Conservative proposals to abolish or significantly revamp the Electoral Commission

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/31/tory-plans-to-scrap-election-watchdog-undermines-democracy

quote:

Opposition parties have condemned Conservative proposals to abolish or significantly revamp the Electoral Commission, with Labour saying any move to restrict the elections watchdog risks undermining faith in democracy.

The Liberal Democrats said any moves against the Electoral Commission, as outlined by the Conservatives’ co-chair Amanda Milling, appeared an attempt to prevent the exposure of “embarrassing funding connections to Russian oligarchs”.

The commission regulates political donations, spending and other areas, and has the power to undertake its own investigations, and fine parties and officials for breaches of the rules, although more serious matters are passed to police.

The government’s advisory body the Committee on Standards in Public Life is currently holding a review of electoral regulation. In a submission to the process, the Conservatives said the commission should not be given new powers of prosecution, saying this would bring “too many conflicts of interest”.

Writing in the Telegraph, Milling argued that the body should accept more outside scrutiny or be disbanded: “If the Electoral Commission fails to make these changes and do the job it was set up to do then the only option would be to abolish it.”

The commission is viewed with suspicion by some Conservative MPs who believe it has unfairly targeted pro-Brexit groups, such as with its decision to fine the campaigner Darren Grimes £20,000 for electoral spending offences in the 2016 referendum. This was overturned by a court appeal.

Some campaign groups have called instead for increased scrutiny of the election system, particularly after a long-delayed report by parliament’s intelligence and security committee said the government and intelligence agencies had failed to properly assess Russian attempts to interfere with the Brexit vote.

Cat Smith, Labour’s shadow Cabinet Office minister, who deals with voting issues, called the Conservative proposal “a harmful and worrying step for the integrity of our democracy”.

“Removing the Electoral Commission is just one part of a concerted strategy by the Tories to remove scrutiny and proper accountability,” she said. “Without the Electoral Commission, no one could prevent the Tories from introducing policies that fundamentally make it harder for people to vote, such as mandatory Voter ID.

“This move comes straight out of the Republican party playbook.”

The Lib Dem MP Wendy Chamberlain said that with attacks on judges and the illegal prorogation of parliament, Boris Johnson had shown he was “a threat to the rule of law”.

She said: “Now, with the Tories’ embarrassing funding connections to Russian oligarchs exposed, their plan to turn their guns on the Electoral Commission is a direct attempt to undermine our democracy.”

In its own response to the review of electoral regulations, the Electoral Reform Society has called instead for increased powers for the commission, on the lines of the Information Commissioner’s Office.

The group argued: “It is striking that we now have a regulator with substantial powers to protect data privacy, but no such powers have been granted to the regulator entrusted with protecting our democracy.”

A Conservative spokesman said that if the commission were abolished, its functions should be transferred to other bodies, such as police and Companies House.

He said: “Our submission makes clear that the Electoral Commission needs to reform to become more accountable, with clearer, up-to-date, non-conflicting guidance for political parties, particularly in light of past mistakes.

“Would the Liberal Democrats or Labour say every fine or investigation into them has been proportionate and fair? Rather than lobbying for more powers, the commission should be focusing on getting its house in order.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose the difference is I actually do, personally, hate all coppers, think an asteroid would probably be a good thing, and think people who are nationalists are effectively large adult babies.

I also, as I said, care more about making the londoners in the thread comfortable than I do about what some lovely boomer thinks about their precious statues or whatever. I don't think there can be any peace or accomodation with that sort of person, any convincing them, I don't think they're receptive to anything I believe in and I don't think they even engage with it other than to complain about it, either they will die fast enough for the rest of us to clear up their mess or they won't, that's the start and end of their involvement in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A new thread arises, as we head away from the judgment of the sun. Also yes, asteroid good.