Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It’s no surprise the Labour GRT group left either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Time is a circle, cant wait to see a philanthropist princess of the people volunteer to clear cluster bombs away from innocent children

https://twitter.com/edfelten/status/1267838832298393602?s=21

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Best police procedural is Touch of Cloth and it’s associated sequels

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

happyhippy posted:

This was a bad move imo to vandalize.
It's one thing to take down a statue where the person is primarily known to be or do a bad thing.
But here with Churchill, we know he was a fucker in private, but most primarily know him for WW2.
And esp the day after D-Day, the narrative is stacked against the protesters here.

Down this route lies the Bermuda triangle that good old Ed was pulled into

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

That statue was put up in 2010 we’re a loving disgrace of a country

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Johnson just said people NRPF should be eligible for the free school meals voucher.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Channel 4 just did a documentary on page 3, and that there were 16 year olds dressed as schoolgirls on the cover of British newspapers at the same time as Big Brother has hosed with my head like that Oxford/Aztec thing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Would bomb disposal have something nippy or something heavy?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

I work in the water industry now (toot). Leaks are very difficult to find. You only know about them if the leak is so bad that the pipe physically bursts and causes the water to rush out to the surface in it's bid to escape. Slow leaks (from faulty or poorly made connections, minor corrosion or just badly jointed pipes) might show themselves after like 20 years after install and are usually so minor that you would literally never know unless you had to dig up the pipe anyway. But theres a lot of them so that adds up, a lot, over time. Maybe only 1 or 2 litres a day, but times that by 200,000 faulty connections and suddenly that's 400k litres of water soaking into the ground

The water companies do get fined or given other incentives by Ofwat to reduce leakage rates but the other honest answer is that this hodge podge, bastardized, "we're not nationalized, there is genuine competition honest" means that the records of pipe ages, pipe types, pipe expected lifetime and even pipe sizes are nearly impossible to find without digging up the road, so preventative maintenance is nearly impossible except in cases where they've already dug the pipe up before. We've heard stories of contractors digging up a pipe and bringing all the gear along after being told by the relevent water board that it's an 1800's cast iron pipe, 7" in diameter, and they get there and it's a 12" asbestos cement pipe which is suddenly much more of a problem to deal with.

I’d check which team at your bit are working on the response to the National Underground Asset Register Project being run by the GEO6. Short term there’s going to be pain in determining asset information, but there’s no chance in 2030/40 the ‘but it’s underground and difficult to get too’ thing will fly.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's normally highly polished and coated to reduce reflections and is cast (? flowed? whatever they call it) at higher temperatures to ensure a more consistent thickness reducing distortion, and really high-quality archival scanners will use optical-quality glass so it scatters different frequencies more consistently. The reflectivity's really important because obviously some of the light from the scanner will reflect off it back to the collector - obviously this reduces contrast (because even the blackest parts of the subject will be non-zero saturation from those reflections). You can correct a lot of that in software, but it's still going to reduce your quality for anything but the purest monochrome.

Modern cheap ones probably just use the thin borosilicate glass that they used to use for CRTs and incandescent light bulbs because obviously there's not much demand for it anywhere else any more - I wonder if that's why scanners now don't cost much more than keyboards these days.

(Source: worked for a while at a place that did archival scanning and one thing that came up over and over again was the importance of weighing anything you put on the glass first because it cost like a grand to replace the A2-sized glass on the big scanner, which could only accept a weight of 5kg because it was a big unsupported lump of glass - there was a place with an inverted scanner that we could send stuff off to if we had to.)

A nice use of those digitised archives is stuff like this;

https://twitter.com/geo_spatialist/status/1272608001103462403?s=21

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-antibody-idUSKBN23T1CJ

There is no "herd immunity", and the Tories have murdered upwards of 50,000 people for nothing.

And the people who have survived have life limiting conditions as a result as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

PoorWeather posted:

I only really lurk here, but if these forums die, thank you all so much for being a refuge of good political takes on this reactionary piss island.

We’ll just go to that other disco site we found

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The EHRC staffed by Tory fundraisers who forgot to declare their fundraising activity as well

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Heat chat. The server room at a company I used to work for had a big rubber door seal with a massive fan in the middle that was used to cool the room down on hiot days, and that thing was good at turning the room into an ice box in a few minutes. Any computer touchers know the company that makes these? Google searching "server room door fan" isn't dinging much.

You’d love the cold but hate the leccy bill.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Gavin Williamson has identified the real issue facing today’s teachers and classrooms.

Circular tables!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/face-the-front-and-pay-attention-minister-orders-nation-s-children-mpq792shs

Ps 30 kids per classroom to really get that second wave cresting

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

As far as I understand it, mansplaining is the act of talking over a woman about an area in which she has superior knowledge without invitation or as part of a debate. She has knowledge of her own lived experience as a ciswoman, but that doesn’t mean that you arguing for fundamental human rights for trans people is mansplaining to her.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Shot

https://twitter.com/sims/status/1277381145706053632?s=21

Chaser

https://twitter.com/hpana/status/1277390213942251520?s=21

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Semi-related to sword chat - I've got a couple of old kitchen knives that are chipped to gently caress that I want to get rid of, but I'm tying myself in mental knots trying to work out *where*. I don't want to just dump them in a bin, even safely wrapped up, because of the potential danger to people handling the rubbish (and also if someone finds a couple of "concealed" knives in a bin it's probably going to at least waste some time if they think they might be something criminal). My local recycling has big "NO SHARPS" signs, and it'd feel just weird dumping them in an amnesty bin at a police station then seeing them in a "Look at all the dangerous weapons we took off the streets" press release. Any thoughts?

Build a forge and turn them into one, larger knife

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Cerv posted:

that would be difficult when she's already admitted the original assertion was a mistake and apologised publicly for it

probably wants to let the story die now,

She said that Israeli forces taught the specific technique used in the death of George Floyd.

That is not, and it would be defamatory to say, she blamed Israel or Jewish people for his death.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Cash only is bollocks and if a shop does it the owner’s a fud

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Aberdeen FC's stadium, Pittodrie, is Gaelic for a dung heap.

Which is false advertising given that dung has value.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The voucher scheme appears to be a carbon copy of one Germany used after the GFC

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You can also buy MasterCard gift cards from some places that act the same as credit cards online, so unless they limit what you can buy then you can almost literally exchange them for money.

It’s literally thirty seconds of work to stop that happening

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Aye, I was specifically thinking of Strathclyde when I said exceptions, coz I know Strathclyde is extremely it for Chemical Engineering & presumably some other hard sciences. And doesn't Glasgow Caley have a good rep for something like forensics or some discipline along those lines? I suppose the choice isn't bad for a country Scotland's size but I dunno, St Andrews is basically Scottish Oxbridge/Durham as far as a rep for having a snooty student base goes, so for most people that really drops the places you can even consider (I know when my sister was applying to uni my uncle, who was the first in the family to attend uni & went to St Andrews, strongly suggested she didn't follow on his footsteps because he loving hated it).

Oh well, not like the English seem in any real fuss to change this.

Glasgow Caley is economics and fashion

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Their Engineering school is also really well-regarded.

Fashion is just engineering with scoop necks anyway

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Have been rewatching the thick of it, and in s3e2 nicola Murray, who is now leader of the opposition, proposes that she should agree with the government on some of their 'tough decisions' and resultant policies. Tucker et al all treat her like she's absolutely mental as a result.

Ah, simpler times...

If we’re in any Inannuci work, we’re about 6 episodes into Avenue 5

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

All nazis to get a platform as long as it has a trapdoor. A compromise position even centrists could agree with?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Wonder how a new work from home culture will affect land prices in London when you need a £7000/sq ft strike price to build a super scraper?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I saw a pic earlier with more Liverpool kits in it than Rangers, games gone

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not so sure, why would they have only hit 1 out of the top 20 most-followed accounts (https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/most-twitter-followers/)? I suspect that they've found an exploit in some bit of popular social media management software that the hit accounts are all using.

Maybe they’re looking at a list where 10 are female pop stars, 2 are male popstars, one is twitter itself, and picking targets followed by people who are likely to own bitcoin?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The only private equity shorting I think I’ve ever agreed with in terms of ‘end justifying means’ is the time a firm found out you could hack wireless pacemakers and proved it

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

The Deleter posted:

I clearly need to post more to get in on this Markov chain fun.

Please let it die, it’s worse than ‘which flavour of monster munch tastes best on a rowing scull’ chat

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

Young could easily claim this shows Ghislaine telling him that he's a massive dork and isn't allowed to join their cool club, but this would require more introspection than he is capable of.

“If only I didn’t have this prior engagement in the States, I’d have loved to come to your stag do”

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I asked the barber what he'd been doing during furlough: "Wanking and FIFA". Fair enough mate.

Clips and clipping seems fairly on message for a barber

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Check whether your use case wouldn’t be served by using separate csv files and excel power query and save some cash

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I must be the only person who's never seen the opening ceremony, and the more I hear of it, the less likely it is that I will change that

It was an amazing piece of theatre and Danny Boyle did an incredible job of bringing together the history of the UK and the myths we tell about ourselves. On the night it was incredible, and you should watch it.

The political movement that sprung up around it can get to gently caress.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Quite a decent article in the Torygraph (!shock, probe, riddle!!) on re-imagining the High St for affordable housing.

torygraph/news/2020/07/21/coronavirus-has-accelerated-demise-high-streets-should-just/

Author belongs to this organisation: https://www.smf.co.uk/
(Social Market Foundation) which I never heard of before and I just know someone is going to tell me some reason they're terrible :boom:

£500k to live in a repurposed Ann Summers dressing room and you don’t get to be a Conservative MP.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Pedestrianise all of the satellite high streets and increase the number of small owner-occupier spaces.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Could get Moran and do something interesting or bow to the neoliberal orthodoxy of ‘electability’ over substance.

Go piss diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

what are people talking about with this gnashetjew being connected to a lawyer and that's why they have closed the account or something?

He trademarked the gnasherjew logo, turns out he’s an ex-squaddie with disturbingly familiar views about catholic’s in Northern Ireland and can sing all the good songs with the proper words in.

Obviously this means that TAO and RR and LAAS are actually fully paid up members of the UVF.