Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Saros posted:

Seems like overnight the US protests have escalated to people shooting at cops and ramming police lines with cars. Also Trump had riot police attack a bunch of protesters so he could go do a photo op at a church. Yikes.

He also gassed the priest of the church in the process.
Probably inadvertently, but I doubt Trump gave it much thought either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Labour 'taking action' on racism would deprive a bunch of Labour staffers of one of their favourite pastimes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As someone who's been working throughout (well, not the very start, as I had some Annual Leave), one of the problems is that my job has changed quite significantly in that time.
I was redeployed for a while, which was fine, but now I'm back "full time" in my job, but working from home for most of it
The lack of structure is an issue for me, but more than that it's the fact that I'm physically and socially isolated from my colleagues, and being able to chat with my colleagues while I work is one of the things that makes my job likeable most of the time.

There's nothing that's hitting me particularly hard, but the combined impact does leave me feeling rather listless.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and if I get it really badly wrong I can just play it badly and pretend I know what I'm doing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Hamish MacBeth is the best police programme, as it documents one policeman's intense interest in maintaining the current criminal status quo that benefits him and his friends above and beyond the economic and structural needs of the community

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lid posted:

Season 5 fails on many levels but the biggest actually is Gus wish fulfillment as every other season the characters are all complex, meanwhile in the news room there are three people who are literally perfect and three others who are evil with no redeeming features. There is literally no nuance it is a screed against "these assholes ruined my perfect world". Everything else beyond that from the poor plotting is also bad, but its that lack of being able to develop nuance at its base that makes the storylines fail.

I think Simon's rebuttal to that is that Gus really has no clue what news the local people would be interested in Omar gets killed - which would be pretty loving big news in the area - and he shrugs it off as a 'drugs killing'.
He's a middle-class man writing news that's irrelevant for large swathes of the city his paper reports on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm sure that in a few months, we'll all be proud of the way BRITISH TAXPAYERS are going to FOREIGN COUNTRIES and spreading coronavirus wherever they put their grubby hands, feet, arses and/or faces.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Prisoners should be allowed to vote because it's their goddamn right to be able to vote.
It's not like the people claiming "they don't have rights" would also say "they also shouldn't pay taxes".

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Build the yacht, put Andrew on board, then kick him overboard the moment it gets to international waters.

Then kick everyone else overboard as well.

Maxwell the gently caress out of 'em.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wikipedia suggests his oldest child has autism, so presumably he'd be okay with one of his children getting gently caress all in terms of welfare payments if he isn't able to work due to his autism.
[edit]
Even if he means something else, this is stupid, since most people (like me, apparently) don't read much beyond the headline

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

This was a fascinating video to watch, thank you for linking it.

Given that he was the Education Secretary responsible for pushing through the £9k/year fees, I'm not sure I'm interested in listening to what David Willetts has to say.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cerv posted:

it's a truism as old as the internet that people don't read past the headline. but I think recently on this forum it's been getting worse.

It's a bad sign for Labour in general, though, that left-wing goons are looking at a headline like that, written about a Labour Shadow Cabinet member, and thinking "Yes, that sounds like something one of Keir's cronies would say"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Not for the first time, I've managed to injure my foot through the simple act of being asleep in bed.
No idea what I've done, but it looks like I'll be hobbling around the house all day. Happy Sunday, people.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's weird that some people still think that peaceful protest is even remotely worth while in a modern democracy.
Like, just staying home and wanking is more productive than pretty much any mass peaceful protest of the last 30 years.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Starmer's such a wet fart.
So utterly asinine that he can't bring himself to oppose anything.

Except prosecuting paedos, of course.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well, I never heard of urethral sounding before.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...m1keM5oUYI.html

The, uh, "noted" surgeon operated on his GI tract before actually confirming that there was something in there?
I hope Mr Urethral Sounding didn't pay too much for his treatment

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

litearlly none of the people being racist in the report have suffered any kind of punishment

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1270374388488167428?s=20

If at least 21k people have liked that insipid piece of poo poo tweet, I think it's clear Labour is using Twitter bots as well

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

How thick are GQ readers that the editor thinks that's likely to impress them?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes yes nothing matters. So why do any of us bother?

Yeah it’s not really a useful attitude. Ace of flames got ran out of the thread for holding what is actually a valid realistic outlook if we are to all start thinking like this.

His outlook was ‘why bother’. If you are right, why bother?

His outlook may have been "why bother", but his method of expressing it was histrionic

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

crispix posted:

I'll bet that Keri Stammers gets the peel off oranges all in one bit every time :allears:

even the big ones

He's probably got a man-servant to do that for him

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It is, occasionally, remarkable to me how much emotional energy people put into issues that are
A) utterly unrelated to their day-to-day lives; and
B) none of their loving business

The rest of the time, I'm just like "People are loving assholes"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Funny how no-one in the media ever asks these fash cunts about all the homeless veterans their policies have left on the streets

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Sun has form for giving domestic abusers a platform. The Editor gave Rebekah Brooks a column to explain how she totally didn't do the things that her ex-partner was accusing her of. The Editor in question being Rebekah Brooks herself.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

josh04 posted:

But Rory Stewart is nowhere to be found?!

Never fear; the Tories' candidate for London Mayor is black! And also a massive racist

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm sorry to hear that, Isomermaid, that sounds loving awful.

It does sort of reinforce my view that literally every position within Labour - paid, or voluntary - should have a term limit applied to it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, the BBC News at 1 even managed to get a little bit of RLB in there talking about how essential it is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, I just tried to eat a [cooked] frozen pizza, but the packaging had obviously been open and it was stale.
The base was like bread-cheesecake, while the topping congealed into a lumpy, brittle, formless sheet that slid off the base whenever I took a bite.

Having waited ~20 minutes while it was in the oven, I'm declaring this my food disaster of the week. And I've ordered Subway, 'cos I can't be arsed 'making' lunch again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Wachter posted:

It's like her editor caught the misattribution, but rather than fixing it, she added a completely redundant paragraph explaining that she's wrong in the previous paragraph, and that you, the reader, are a prig for noticing it? Like, just loving retire already.

She'll only retire from 'journalism' once her book, detailing her passionate affair with "lovable rogue" Alexander de Pfeffel Boris Johnson, has been released, following a 4-part serialisation in the Daily Mail, so that fellow passion-voids can wank themselves to the point of 1% sexual gratification about her description of being mounted like an obese sea lion by Boris and hosed 'boyishly' with his locks of hair splattering her with sweat for every cocaine-induced flaccid thrust.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

lol apparently the two British people who are valiantly trying to re-infect New Zealand met some friends and didn't tell anyone about it.

We should be banned from leaving this terrible island.

51.89% of the people voted for this
They just didn't know they were doing it

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

honestly can't tell if the examples in this thread are parodies or not because the real thing have been so bad

https://twitter.com/SamMoore249/status/1273358422017261568?s=20

That's a long-ish thread when the answer is "because Labour is staffed by talentless lifer hacks who got their job courtesy of nepotism"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I seem to remember an Adam Curtis piece in the early 2010s where he said that of the ~£750bn the BofE spooged on quantitative easing after Gordon Brown spent the poonds the Global Financial Crisis, something like 80% went straight to the banks' balance sheets and wasn't given out as loans as intended.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

It's the most pathetic form of 'journalism' in that it's whatever bullshit an "insider" can pull out of their arse, paired off with... a medical team who will 100% not discuss individual cases without explicit consent from the patients or carers.
So the only families they'll talk to are the ones who are either convinced their child was 'failed' by the system, or those the producers can massage incriminating interviews from.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The only thing I'm wondering is how long into the piece it'll be before they mention how poor JK Rowling has received abuse at the hands of trans activists.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've got mixed feelings about Malala Yousafzai graduating.
On the one hand, she's gone through some appalling things and is genuinely inspirational for many people.

On the other hand, she studied PPE, ffs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Hopefully the visibility will force them to make it permanent.

And hopefully it catches mcnichol too.

McNichol did so much harm to the party, he'll probably be made Tory peer

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Two things you could do:

Look up your local council's "Child Protection" or "Safeguarding" officer - there should be a duty officer.
Alternatively, if you can't find a number, look on the NSPCC website https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/reporting-abuse/report/

Make notes on what you're doing and why.
(Include dates, times, witnesses etc)

Worst case scenario if you can't get help from those and you believe it is urgent, contact police.

(I've had to do this in the past - social services - in the days before 'safeguarding').

Just to expand on this if you haven't already made a call:
If you're concerned about the welfare of the child, but you don't think there's an immediate risk to the child, call Children's Social Care
If you think there's an immediate risk to the child, call 999
If you're not sure, probably best to call 999 anyway

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jaete posted:

So tell me, fellow prisoners of this plague island, how excellent is the treament given to coronavirus patients as of right now?

Say, if I get the goddamn covid, and it gets bad and I can't breathe and all that, and I call 999, and tell them I can't loving breathe and I might in fact, no poo poo, die or something; will they actually send an ambulance? Will I actually get admitted to hospital or something, tests done to see if I have the corona, how my lungs are doing etc?

I'm feeling a bit anxious about this whole thing here

Good
Yes
Yes

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1274818415849594881?s=21

Guess this was one of those spree killings where we actually do want to talk about mental health as the primary issue.

I wonder if the families of the two people shot dead in Moss Side will feel like they've been cheated out of some quality public grieving.
3 people dead in Reading = 1 minute's silence plus a gently caress-off massive amount of press coverage.
2 people dead in Manchester = sidebar of "who cares" for 18 hours and then nothing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So it turns out that when the Housing Secretary did Tory donor Richard Desmond a favour and approved planning permission, he saved him around £150m, rather than the £50m that was originally reported, and meant that he didn't have to use as much affordable housing.

I mean, if I was a cabinet minister and was going to save someone £150m by being corrupt as gently caress, I'd probably ask for more than a £12k donation to my party. Which is why the police should be looking into this right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

He may simply lack the commitment to expend his limited dexterity posting and is in fact doing other things during recovery. Which is unfathomable I know but some people are like that.

I got the impression it was post-stroke aphasia, which would probably make typing and/or reading very difficult.
Either way, it was sad, but understandable.