Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1267415123041320960

ikea is back, nature is healing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
beginning to suspect the british ruling class are all nonces or something??

quote:

Coronavirus closes prep school attended by Boris Johnson

Ashdown House saw pupil numbers drop as family incomes and overseas interest fell

A prep school once attended by Boris Johnson is to shut down as a result of the impact of the coronavirus.

Ashdown House preparatory school in East Sussex, established 180 years ago, will close its doors at the end of the academic year after a ruinous downturn in pupil numbers.

The independent schools sector in the UK has been severely affected by the coronavirus, which has seen many parents lose income and a significant drop in interest from overseas pupils. As a result, the school was expecting to be less than a third full from September.

The trustees of the boarding and day school, which caters for boys and girls aged five to 13, have concluded that closing the school “is the only remaining option”.

It comes after the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) heard that the school had a “spartan and unforgiving” culture, where the sexual abuse of pupils during the prime minister’s time there was not reported to authorities.

Announcing the closure, Tom Beardmore-Gray, chief executive of the Cothill trust, of which Ashdown is part, said: “When the trust first welcomed Ashdown into our family of schools over a decade ago, trustees did so knowing that there were some very significant challenges that needed to be addressed.

“They were united, however, in the belief that everything that could be done to keep the school open should be done. The harsh reality is that the impact of the coronavirus has changed everything.

“In recent years the trust has invested heavily in the school, and there has been a relentless drive to keep the school moving forward. Given the challenges the sector as a whole is now facing, it is not possible to maintain this support.”

He went on: “Ashdown is a prestigious school, rich with heritage and tradition. We take some solace from the fact that, while the school is unable to continue, Ashdown’s impact will be felt for generations to come.”

In September, a hearing of the IICSA was told that Ashdown House had an environment where “sexual touching was seen as acceptable” during almost 25 years of abuse from 1969.

Johnson attended the school in 1975, six years after the first allegations of sexual abuse of it pupils were made.
:chloe:

also, the bolded bit is a bit grim in the context of their rich tradition of paedophilia

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 1, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Julio Cruz posted:

has there been any progress on antibody tests for those of us who suspect we've had it but would like confirmation before relaxing lockdown? seems like that might be a good thing for a government to have plenty of right about now

:sigh: well it was worth a try

e: Sausage has taken up cat yoga during the lockdown

I think they bunged 40,000 on their test numbers so they could say they hit 200,000 a day, but they might be prioritising them for nhs staff? One of my friends mentioned that his brother (hospital pharmacist) is getting one.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Kennel posted:

Trump will most likely do the dumbest possible thing, so...

yeah, even if this could be defused by the president, and even if trump were competent enough to do it, he is not capable of backing down from a confrontation

not sure more police brutality is going to bring an end to the anti-police brutality protests, unless they start actually massacring people

with the pandemic, economic collapse and massive unemployment I can't see people spontaneously getting any less angry any time soon

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/mboorstein/status/1267607428293636096?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The comments under that!

https://twitter.com/LizForCongress/status/1267609530231291906?s=20

Tory by name, Tory by nature

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yes, I'm sure burying a report into how you've been knowingly endangering ethnic minorities is a great way to avoid stoking racial tensions

e: like this is such an obviously stupid move that I'm surprised even they're incompetent enough to make it. to the point that I'm wondering if they actually want to make people angry for some reason?

XMNN fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
not sure going back to work has massively improved my mental health, seeing as I have to see all the people I hate face to face again as they try to murder me via their own stupidity

also their response to me saying "we need to do x, y and z to reduce the risk from covid, but the most important way of reducing the overall risk is to reduce the number of people working in close proximity in the building, because even if people follow these rules, which they won't, they still don't eliminate the risk" in a big long email was to say "cool, let's do that" and then immediately say everyone needs to be back in the building, because they're stupid selfish cunts

so now I'm doing as little work as possible, applying for jobs/PhDs and doing on Duolingo on company time (and posting too obv) :thumbsup:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

the mail doxxed the organisers of londons BLM rally

and they're 18?

I know it goes without saying but the mail are scum

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I did russian at school it was good, and the alphabet is similar enough to Latin/Greek that i found it no problem

I also did german which is obviously very easy vocab wise (and imo the vocab is usually going to be enough in practice, who cares if you conjugate your verbs right or forget what gender beer is)

did Arabic for a module in first year and the alphabet (or abugida or whatever it is e: abjad, according to Wikipedia) wasn't too bad, apart from the lack of vowels, vocab was mostly alien but I think I coped Ik, but I absolutely could not get my head around the right-to-left thing. also can't remember any grammar so clearly that didn't sink in at all

doing Japanese on Duolingo atm and the vocab is again very unfamiliar, and the orthography is like a cruel practical joke, but from reading around I think the grammar is probably surprisingly straightforward which should hopefully help if I ever get far enough to actually get into it

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hope those lines are 2m sideways or can the virus not move sideways?

https://twitter.com/JeffSmithetc/status/1267747799984222208?s=20

glad I'm not the only one with moron bosses and coworkers who are trying to kill me

e: is there anything actually stopping parliament doing away with 90% of its members and then ending elections?

and don't say convention

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/dikt54/status/1267792499868925954?s=20

they've never actually said why they stopped reporting people tested, did they?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
one of the few things I remember how to say in Russian off the top of my head is "мне шестнадцать лет" which is unfortunately no longer particularly useful for me

e: "I'm 16 years old"

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

must be boiling out there in a suit

hopefully enough Tories die of heat exhaustion wandering around the grounds of parliament that they lose the vote

e: Maltese is imho probably one of the weirdest languages, e.g.

the lord's prayer posted:

Missierna, li inti fis-smewwiet,
jitqaddes ismek,
tigi saltnatek,
ikun li trid int, kif fis-sema, hekkda fl-art.
Hobzna ta' kuljum aghtina llum.
Ahfrilna dnubietna,
bhalma nahfru lil min hu hati ghalina.
U la ddahhalniex fit-tigrib,
izda ehlisna mid-deni.

Amen.

like I can't even begin to guess how some of those words are pronounced, but maybe it just looks bizarre because it's written in the Latin alphabet, if it was still written in Arabic script I'd still not know how to make the sounds but it might not bother my brain so much

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
have they even finished voting yet?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
wow our MPs are morons, who knew?

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1267847620367695878?s=20

e: maybe they could vote online and then those that think it's their civic duty to pointlessly stand in a queue can do that on their own time

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/1267732904458756096?s=20

I think you can probably guess the tone of most of the replies

#AllLivesMatter

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
e: I always used to wonder how people got quote and edit confused and now I've done it twice in like two days

XMNN fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't remember insects (except midges in swarms on walks along the river) ever being this bad years ago. I never saw a mosquito anywhere I lived in the UK until I think it was 2012!
yeah I don't remember there being any when I was a kid (apart from maybe out on the marshes) but now the woods are teeming with them

like I can easily* kill a dozen or so in the act of trying to steal my blood on a relatively short walk sometimes. it's a little bit gross when you explode one and end up smearing your own blood all over your legs

rumour has it that the ones round here are a species that can host west nile fever

* they are surprisingly dopy and slow, you can sometimes crush them with your fingers

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I went looking for a picture of Desmond swayne to illustrate why that's awful but not surprising (which I found)

just the headline of the article makes it even less surprising, but more awful

Tory MP Sir Desmond Swayne admits 'blacking up' at fancy dress party and says he has 'no intention' of apologising

and the article is somehow worse still

Torygraph posted:

ir Desmond Swayne, the Conservative MP, has admitted 'blacking up' as soul singer James Brown for a fancy dress party.

He insisted he would not apologise for trying to be "as authentic as possible" and condemned the furore surrounding Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was forced to apologise when a picture emerged of him wearing dark makeup at an Arabian Nights party.

Dawn Butler MP, Labour’s Shadow Women’s and Equalities Secretary, called on the Tories to take action against him.

Sir Desmond, 63, made the controversial admission on his blog, writing: "I suspect that Justin Trudeau’s cringing apology for blacking himself  ‘blinded by his own white privilege’ has done him rather more harm than the original offence. 

"It was a themed ‘Arabian Nights’ fancy-dress party for heaven’s sake!

"It comes to something when you can’t dress-up as Aladdin without attracting the opprobrium of the ‘great and good’.

He would have done better to have said it was an entirely acceptable bit of fun and refused to apologise."

Sir Desmond, MP for New Forest West, Hants, added: "I once went to a ‘Blues Brothers’ themed fancy-dress party as James Brown.

"I went to some trouble to be as authentic as possible. I can assure readers of this column that I have no intention of apologising. Constituents often write to me having been infuriated by some latest absurdity of political correctness. I tell them that the best response is simply to laugh at it."

He told the Telegraph that he went to a fancy dress party "once every three years or so" and that the event in question was "several parties ago".

He insisted he had no photograph of himself in the costume.

The MP, a former economics teacher and Major in the British Army, told the Bournemouth Echo that the only reason he would not 'black up' again was the sheer effort it took to wash it off.

He said: "No one has complained to me about it.

"The reason I wouldn't do it again is because you have to go to some trouble to get it off. It's not a non-trivial exercise."

Labour's Ms Butler said: "This is another example of a politician not even trying to understand the history of oppression and racism.

"Desmond Swayne has not only admitted to blacking up himself, but is now actively encouraging others to do so.

"The Tories need to explain what action will be taken against him and whether this took place while he was a government minister.

"This is a Party that failed to reprimand an MP who used the N-word, implemented the hostile environment policy that has led to black people being wrongfully deported, and is run by Boris Johnson whose racist words incited a 375 per cent increase in racist hate crime."

In his blog, Sir Desmond went on to ridicule an academic conference at Roehampton University at which delegates wore badges letting others know whether they were happy to talk to each other.

He said: "Here's one to amuse. Last week, academics attended a conference at Roehampton University.

"[It was] entitled "Thinking beyond Transversal Transfeminisms" and [they wore] badges informing each other if they were happy to chat, or prefer not to be spoken to at all.

"Barking or what?"
from September 2019, i.e several lifetimes ago

reckon the ehrc will be investigating endemic racism in the Tory party any time soon?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Crane flies might not be dangerous but they're extremely uncooperative when you try to deport them out the back door. Like mate, there's nobody to gently caress and nothing to eat in here, go home.

yeah I'm very live and let live when it comes to creepy crawlies (apart from mosquitoes, the little bastards) but if you aren't cooperating and keep flying around my head or loudly banging into a window or something then the gloves are off (unless you're a bee, but they're usually pretty docile IME)

although I did have to repeatedly evict a bunch of mason(?) bees when they kept trying to build a nest between my window frame and the bit that opens, mostly because almost all of their very convenient tunnel would suddenly disappear the moment I opened the window

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's raining :dogcited:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm really looking forward to the only good pubs around here being told they can reopen but immediately going under due to not actually being able to fit enough people inside to make money, that's really my dream scenario as a lover of our grate British pubs thanks Boris, making Britain great again

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Starmer says Johnson did not put a number on those being contacted. He says the number of people testing positive every day is only a fraction of the people being infected. The system probably should be contacting 45,000 people a day.

He quotes the UK Statistics Authority criticism of the government. Can the PM not see how much damage is being done to trust?

Johnson says he does not know why Starmer continues to undermine trust in government. Starmer should give credit to the people involved.

lol he must be genetically incapable of feeling any sort of shame

e

quote:

Starmer says he has tried to support the government. He thought the schools issued needed consensus. That is why he offered to help.

He says the scenes in parliament yesterday were “shameful”. If any other employer operated like this, it would be a clear and obvious case of discrimination. Will the PM stop this?

Johnson says people around the country are having to queue. He says it is not unreasonable to expect MPs to do their job. When people look at what the government is doing .... He says his policy is test, trace and isolate. Labour’s is agree, U-turn and criticise.

good god what a disingenuous oval office

E2: https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1268140864234283008?s=20

doesn't even remember how months work or remember which targets he's supposed to lie about achieving when

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 3, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's actually a good thing that they're not doing anything because that means the pandemic is over

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Certainly seems to be over round here! Just myself and 2 others in the street wearing masks. Non-essential shops reopening (and I thought Wales weren't reopening non-essential yet), lots of people out and about.
I didn't go out the last 2 days to avoid 'the rush' and it's raining today not sunny like the last couple of days so god knows what they were like Mon & Tue.

it's apparently very over around here

our CEO has been in the office for the last few days to ermm do conference calls with a bunch of people in other countries?

also him and a guy who keeps "just popping out" to visit customers went in the same car together to the shops to buy ice cream for the office because it was sunny yesterday, although tbf if they both come down with coronavirus you won't be able to blame that trip specifically, as they also did that to get lunch for the office on Friday

they've also invited two separate groups of customers to the lab for tenuous reasons on Thursday, but it's ok because there's apparently plenty of room for me to do work (that I could do from home) in the office! at my desk, surrounded by the desks of at least three other morons

I do not trust these people's judgement one tiny bit

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
season 5 has the journalism storyline and I guess the main journalist could be a Simon analogue/wish fulfilment thing?

although either way it would be far from the biggest problem with season 5

efb

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 3, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Lid posted:

Season 5 fails on many levels but the biggest actually is Gus wish fulfillment as every other season the characters are all complex, meanwhile in the news room there are three people who are literally perfect and three others who are evil with no redeeming features. There is literally no nuance it is a screed against "these assholes ruined my perfect world". Everything else beyond that from the poor plotting is also bad, but its that lack of being able to develop nuance at its base that makes the storylines fail.

fair

and on reflection mcnulty inventing a serial killer in order to manipulate the city into giving him the budget for his pet project isn't actually that outlandish in the context of American policing corruption

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah it's probably not ideal in terms of stopping the virus, but the government and a huge chunk of the population have already given up on that voluntarily and a bunch more are being forced back to unsafe work places on unsafe public transport (if they even left them in the first place)

it's much more justifiable to be there than down the beach at any rate

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
dunno if this is representative but this is a picture from Hyde park on the guardian live blog

People observing social distancing today at a Black Lives Matter protest rally in Hyde Park, London.Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA

Updated at 11:39 EDT

looks like there's a lot of masks too

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1268210927335342081?s=19

Truly, we are exceptional and have no need of the pathetic EU

now I can see why Johnson is so proud of the way he's dealt with this, if we can't have a world-beating epidemic at least we'll have a europe-beating one

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Boris Johnson: a liar and a racist?

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1268224411947143171?s=20

Jel Shaker posted:

lol all this media guff about being still able to travel abroad this summer for beach holidays through “air corridors” if countries have low covid levels -absolutely not what the U.K. is or is going to be

I don't understand why this is such a preoccupation, like yeah the UK is poo poo and we all wish we weren't here but there's a pandemic on? maybe focus on staying alive in the here and now by staying out of the big metal plague tubes and go on holiday next year?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
ukmt sickos :yeshaha:

e: hopefully none of the good MPs were in there tho

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah they voted to abolish the remote voting although I think they may have u turned slightly on completely disenfranchising shielding MPs by giving them a proxy vote

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cerv posted:

they can conference call to for debates but no proxy votes AFAIK. that's still for maternity cover only.

pairing is back on since the election happened & the end of minority government. so MPs self isolating aren't in effect screwed out totally since someone from the other side will be taken out to counter the lost vote.
will be a bit hosed if there's a big surge in the number of MPs who can't or refuse to go in and pairing totally breaks down.
between dealing with the pandemic, global recession, and end of Brexit transition without a trade deal I doubt the long overdue expansion of proxy voting could possibly have time to get a look in.

looks like this changed at pmqs (assuming Johnson wasn't just making things up on the fly that he had no intention of doing again obv), although the article says proxy voting and Johnson said remote voting, so no idea what the actual arrangements are

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/03/mps-shielding-from-covid-19-allowed-proxy-vote-in-johnson-u-turn

quote:

Boris Johnson has announced a government U-turn to allow MPs who are shielding to vote by proxy following an outcry over the treatment of parliamentarians with medical conditions or those who are looking after vulnerable loved ones during the coronavirus pandemic.

It follows a government move to drop the use of virtual measures in the Commons, as critics including 31 Conservative MPs voted to keep remote tools in place.

On Tuesday, Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the house, declined to endorse a proxy vote system, instead saying that vulnerable MPs could be paired. The government voted down virtual measures and was ridiculed over the “socially distanced conga” of politicians that snaked around parliament waiting to vote.

At prime minister’s questions, Johnson said MPs who were vulnerable would be able to vote remotely.

I'm lolling at the people in the replies to that tweet asking why he came in when he was symptomatic, when unless he had a cough or knew he had a high temperature (and maybe anosmia is also in there now?) then that he wouldn't have needed to under the government guidelines, and it's not like we don't have a ridiculous culture of presenteeism generally and his bosses haven't been saying that if you're not at work then you're not working for the last few days

e:f;b

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 3, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

During the debate, after Sharma was seen wiping his face with a handkerchief several times, his Labour shadow, Ed Miliband, passed him a glass of water. Sharma also appeared sweaty and sounded hoarse on Tuesday, according to one fellow MP, when he voted to abolish hybrid parliamentary measures.

During one vote, the minister voted straight after the culture secretary, Oliver Dowden, and immediately before the Labour MP Stephen Kinnock. He was also one of a few ministers who attended full cabinet, a source said.
rip ed miliband, but the rest are good

I wonder if the entire cabinet will be doing their civic duty and self isolating if he does turn out to be positive, or if that's still just for the little people

e: also dragging yourself into parliament when there's a pandemic on and you're feeling ill, specifically to vote against remote voting, is an interesting move

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
open er up

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also lol at the whole air bridges thing where the breathless articles about how are summer hols might be on after all do occasionally mention that experts say it only makes sense for countries with "similar epidemiological profiles" or whatever* but fail to mention the corollary which is that you better be planning on going on holiday to Russia, Brazil or whatever is left of the USA

*which I'm not sure is true, as sticking a bunch of people in the big metal plague tube to go drink and be sick on each other in swimming pools seems like a bad idea even if both countries have roughly the same rate of infection

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol, surely he must know he's just going to be explaining that he doesn't love nonces to frothing gammons for the whole half an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

crispix posted:

Jimmy Saville will be Keir's Gerry Adams

and grooming gangs will be his IRA

so glad we finally have a leader without a load of baggage for the tabloids and chudosphere to endlessly harp on about until it filters into the open sewer that passes for mainstream political discourse in this country