Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
spontaneous and energetic grass-roots Herd Immunity parties masequerading as angry protesters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think the most important thing is try and build a routine - nothing over demanding: personal care (diet, exercise, hygiene), home environment (washing up, cleaning), mental health (read a book - something lightweight, connect with friend or family or even a stranger, take a break from news)
I've found having a routine helpful. Previously whenever I got stuck inside, I turned into a capital-G Gamer or compulsive social media refresher; stopping that at the moment by having a schedule of stuff to do a little of each day even if feeling a bit poo poo, just so I can have a checklist of ways in which progress is still happening somewhere. Also mostly avoiding news, it's generally lovely and doesn't help. I'm probably talking with friends actually more (Discord, phone etc) since we're all stuck around.

forkboy84 posted:

Fortunately for me I'm exceedingly comfortable with my own company so I've been well equipped for the long hours alone. I'm learning Russian with Duolingo,
Curious to know - what's it like to learn? Been meaning to look at some other language, and there's a shitload of academic stuff just in Russian that could be interesting to dig into in future

oh my

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

forkboy84 posted:

It's not easy. It took a couple weeks (could've been more, time no longer makes sense) just to wrap my head around the alphabet. And I don't really think Duolingo is the best way to learn grammar so I'll probably need to get a textbook at some point. I've been enjoying Alex Navarro's lockdown Euro Truck Simulator streams because he ofte puts on Russian language radio which is surprisingly helpful.

Trying to think of an example that catches me out. Любит is like but some times it's люблю and hosed if I can work out which should be used when.

That said, I've been doing it for 3 months and I'm only doing 15-30 minutes a day and I was shite at languages in school and I certainly can sense improvement. So I guess it's no harder than any other language really, once you wrap your head around the alphabet. Easier than learning a load of Kanji or whatever. And it is surprising me how satisfying it has been.
Great, thanks! Will give it a go then, see what happens.

communism bitch posted:

Russian is really easy because 90% of the vocabulary is English words in a Russian accent, 5% are close enough that you can really easily mentally link them. The other 5% is gibberish to English speakers but who needs to know how to say "bread" in Russian anyway.

E: for example house is дом - "Dom" like domicile. Bicycle is вепосиред or "velocipede". Radio is радио - "radio". It's all loving English lol
finally we uncover the truth! Russians kept forgetting the word for "bread", and that's why the queues for it were so long

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1267919803962064897?s=21

Holy poo poo. Anyone with decent MPs, call them. Get them screaming about this at the top of their lungs. The government is literally covering up the causes of excessive non-white deaths in Britain.
so. the cause of BAME deaths due to any social issue is an "unknown that needs more study" because we removed the relevant sections where discrimination etc. were actually studied; loving hell, what a country

fish out the ol' luchador masks, it's time for sexy wrestling! the only kind

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Bobstar posted:

Fair points, but this article doesn't so much elaborate on the headline as restate it, along side a bunch of semi-related good things.

What does "if you have made greater contributions to the system, there is an argument that you should receive more out of that system" mean? Without elaboration, it just sounds like the dogwhistle that we all reacted to in the headline.

It sounds like it could be a prelude to a needs based system rather than a means based one - e.g. a pandemic has ruined your income, so you can have benefits based on what you need (i.e. your outgoings), and regardless of things like savings cutoffs and child limits as you say. But that still isn't really based on greater contributions - if you just started living in expensive London when the pandemic (or regular scheduled capitalism recession) hits, you might not have contributed much yet.

Or is it an argument for universalism? But again the more in = more out seems at odds with that.

quote:

...only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: From each according to his ability, to each according to his ability!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Unkempt posted:

...is everybody just ignoring that it has peas on there?

My God. Peas.
give peas a chance

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm glad the statue is down, but I wish there was some way we could have remembered who the statue was actually of. Shame they're the sole locus of historical knowledge.
currently imagining a glorious universe where destroying historical relics of a person removes them from the timeline entirely

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Red Oktober posted:

That’s some straight up Streets of Rage poo poo right there.
from the thread, some background
https://twitter.com/max_lisbon/status/1269917099834642432
he cleared half the bridge, and the GO! -> sign suddenly lit up on the other half, so he comes hurtling over the barriers

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Pistol_Pete posted:

"The Labour Party is issuing today a firm, principled call for slave traders to show greater compassion."

"We are disappointed in the actions of slave traders, and will be holding them to account with a 5-point Plan For Change. 1) Equal treatment of white and black slaves ..."

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

StarkingBarfish posted:

Backyard birbposting update: There's loads of tiny new fledgling bluetits around. They're adorable and would totally yell ACAB at the police:

birbs! :3: i've been missing the morning update

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Apraxin posted:

the state of this loving country
fertility thing, eh? let's go back to our proud British roots then, whittle it down into a cock and balls, put that back up

maybe stick a flagpole in the bellend for a nice bit of national honour too

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Explaining to the ANTIFA that my racism mask positioned directly above a huge wooden board saying BLACK'S HEAD is actually okay because it's a Turk.
should've nicked it and painted over the B and '

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
another Fudge Report: rum and raisin remains great, new apple pie is great, the dark chocolate is chocolatey as fuuuuck and I should have ordered two of them. Next time, perhaps

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Communist Thoughts posted:

Excuse me but those are clearly harmless roman salutes
Roman salutes are historical, and if we ban them, we'll forget all about... the... Romans? And we don't want that

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Come on down to JOBS WAREHOUSE for all your JOBS needs.

how did you discover my secret sexual technique?!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
If anyone's worried about a coming recession, fear not! there's a new part to "get out and shop"

BBC: Why a recession can be a good time to start a business posted:

[...] many of the best, and longest-lasting, companies are set up during downturns, according to Dane Strangler, a fellow at the Bipartisan Policy Centre, in Washington DC. He says that the difficult economic backdrop makes them both tougher and more nimble for years to come. "There's this trial by fire idea," he says. "If you get started in a recession, you really have to scrape and scrimp to make that company successful. "You are trying to make it when you can't get financing, and trying to get customers when there isn't any demand."
For anyone thinking of now setting up their own business, Markus Berger de Leon, a partner at management consultancy McKinsey, says think long and hard before you make the plunge. But if you do jump, then move quickly.

"You really need to think, 'should I spend my next pound or euro on this, or something else?'," he says.

"And that makes you need to embrace and scale one skill that is core to your company. And think about doing that with as little money, as fast as possible. The start-ups that survive a recession are the ones that learn the fastest."
simply get out and start a business! also make sure it survives. we won't tell you how, the market will. good luck

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

Come the gently caress on "Dane Strangler" is not a US policy wonk it's a profession in the 10th century.
lmao i didn't even spot the name, that's incredible

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Some activity resulting from that leaked Labour report! There have been some suspensions

quote:

The court heard three separate investigations have been launched by Labour since the report was leaked, while a written legal argument on the party’s behalf confirmed that members have been suspended. “The party has promptly commenced an investigation into whether any members referred to in the Report have, based on the materials referred to in the Report, breached the Party’s rules”, it said.“Some of the party members have been suspended from membership so far as it is necessary to do so to protect the integrity of the investigation.”

Rachel Crasnow QC represented Labour at the hearing, while the party's head of legal affairs, Alex Barros-Curtis, was also present.

Sir Keir has called for the inquiry into the leak to be concluded quickly, with the findings now expected to be delivered by mid-July. Labour has insisted it takes data protection "extremely seriously", as the leak was reported to the Information Commissioner's Office and suggestions were raised that legal action could be taken by people named in the report.
At court today, Ms Crasnow successfully applied for the leaked report to be taken off the court file, citing concerns for data protection and privacy. Mrs Justice Eady acknowledged that the full, unredacted report is still available online, but she ruled that it should remain “confidential” at this stage of Mr Howell’s legal action.

Mr Howell, representing himself, claims party funds and resources were deliberately deployed at the 2017 election “not to win vulnerable seats presently held by rival parties but instead to increase majorities in safe seats of certain favoured party Members of Parliament.” He was due today to seek a court order today forcing suspensions within the party, but abandoned the bid after analysing the party’s statements and was left with a £23,000 costs bill from the hearing. Labour, which is defending the legal action, will now seek to strike out the claim against Lord McNicol and insists that no other hearings should take place before the internal investigation has been concluded.
although we don't know who's been suspended yet.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
This thread was my introduction to leftism back in 2010-2011ish and I blame it for me turning into a theory nerd; also lurking the 'pos helped me touch computer. Should this place finally, actually die this time, it's been a pleasure making GBS threads unreadable posts and also birbs at you all

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm not sure I've been overall a good poster in this, the serious thread, but I've enjoyed our chats and sharing a common cause with many of you.

you've been a good poster, especially when posting seriously! hopefully he gets the boot and you return someday

also, "never once been convicted" is some interesting framing to use, rather than "i didn't do it"

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

ThomasPaine posted:

Can anyone remember the name of an article that discussed the way today's centrists often use a similar tactic to historical fascists, in that they deliberately put out ridiculous bad faith garbage that seems ridiculous but serves to discredit the entire discourse - weaponised stupidity and ignorance. I've been looking for it for ages but just cannot for the life of me remember where it was.

might be this one? The Stuplime Object of Ideology

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jose posted:

Lol really wanting no deal brexit to be as hosed as possible

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1279668442791055360?s=19
a 1/3 reduction in Are Brave Boys means each Brave Boy of Are's gets 50% more love and respect!

corollary: the most respect for Are Brave Boys is therefore achieved when the army contains exactly 2 people

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

crossposting from the other "everything is hosed" thread
:ohdear:
full speed following the road to fascism and collapse while ignoring the multiple warnings and opportunities to take a turning off. i'm glad that this time, this time, capitalism's noted dynamic potential will produce a solution!

ah, well,

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
i will be extremely surprised if the vouchers don't end up being mostly for stores whose owners have donated to the Conservative Party

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What the gently caress is it with Keith Haircut and the slow-mo promos?

Or does he move at that speed in real life as well as in policy?
Thatcher lowered her voice to appear more authoritative. Starmer's body language coach advised him to make slow, deliberate movements to appear confident and secure, so his team makes all his videos slow-mo

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Communist Thoughts posted:

I didn't know this lmao

Kier is absolutely a spook or an asset and its gonna be years before we're rid of him. Bojo can be our yeltsin and he can be our putin
he is (or was) a member of the Trilateral Commission, just in case anyone's forgotten http://trilateral.org/download/files/membership/EU%20LIST%204_18(3).pdf

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Dell_Zincht posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/11/no-10-plans-weight-loss-drive-to-ready-uk-for-expected-covid-19-second-wave

lmao the government is openly expecting a second wave but if we die it's our own fault for being too fat
actually the death toll has nothing to do with our lack of preparation or poo poo lockdown or hosed responses, it's entirely due to *thinking very, very hard* uh, eating too many of Mr Kipling's wonderful cakes, all of which we will be exporting to the world post-Brexit for a giant financial boost

we'll be getting the nation healthy by sending them back to the newly-opened gyms and swimming pools, where they will spend 4-8 months losing weight and being healthier, and then we'll be all prepared for the second wave sometime next year. it's great to have a forward-thinking government, don't you agree?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jose posted:

I couldn't say for whats in the tweets i posted but there was a lot of evidence of massive population changes in the "red wall" where tons of old people had moved into those areas and young people out as there was not enough work but they're nice enough to retire to
There was a New Statesman article from shortly after the election, containing the below chart, which might be where you're getting this from?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

WhatEvil posted:

https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1286404835806502913?s=20

Maybe handing out settlements to chancers *isn't* actually the great legal move Keir thinks it is?

:thunk:
Keir discovering an important lesson about paying the danegeld

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/TracyAnnO/status/1288959183270940680?s=19

Does anyone know what BIM is? Because if she means BLM...
Propoganda of the Bim is a secret anarchist technique, its origins lost in the mists of time

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

communism bitch posted:

I'm convinced there's some shadowy cabal grooming Rishi Sunak as a replacement for Boris. He's been getting a lot of positive airtime lately, and everything the treasury does is attributed to Sunak, rather than Boris' government in general, and in a way I don't recall seeing with previous Chancellors. He superficially fits the picture for new leader of a party that will eventually have to crawl out from under Boris' corpse - marginally competent, blandly unoffensive, conventionally handsome, no Bullingdon-level baggage that I'm aware of. Might have to put a cheeky tenner on it.

(sourced from here, here)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also the bar has been set so low by other tories that when someone who isn't a fat inbred ra[p/c]ist comes along, the media creams their collective jeans at the opportunity to start putting 'dishy rishi' in headlines.
Just wait for everything to start (or continue) going wrong, then it'll be Fishy Rishi's Dodgy Deals and it's going to be everywhere

Also the BBC have now deleted that extremely funny Superman Rishi video, we shall never see its like again. RIP

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
oh come on now

from The Times - Meet the chancellor: the real Rishi Sunak, by the people who know him best

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can we put this in the OP or something? That format is the generic one that Twitter has imposed for at least 5 years now, and it's indicative of nothing more than a new user who's not particularly au fait with Twitter (or internet culture generally). Any self-respecting bot-farmer would be disgusted to find out people believe they'd use such an easily-rumbled format - if anything that format is *less* likely to be a bot for that exact reason.
I'm curious about the bolded bit - have you got any links to articles / papers / other research on this? My expectation would be the low-effort bot farms (whether actual bots or real people acting as) just take whatever defaults, and the more professional ones would try and make sure the ongoing 'name balance' is about what you'd expect for either the real portion of the user base or the user base as a whole - an equilibrating process to an extent. Then you'd see the number of number-bots rise as more people signed up with new accounts for real, etc.

Be interesting to know how it actually breaks down.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently the 54-year-old former Minister and MP for Rayleigh Mark Francois has just deleted his Twitter account.

Also - random bit of trivia - he was born in Islington, which as we discussed earlier in the thread, is right next to Hackney.

e: His Facebook account too, how strange.
I've seen this floating around too. Are there any addresses for the Facebook and Twitter accounts he deleted, maybe personal ones? His MP account is still up on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MarkFrancoisRayleighandWickford/, his personal webpage on https://www.markfrancois.com/ is also still up, and I can't find any mention of him ever having had a Twitter account - been looking through a few Twitter posts from his colleagues, and you'd think they'd have @ed him into stuff about himself, also Brexit and whatnot, and I don't think Twitter deletes @s to removed accounts. (Oh, just seen some existing @s to Charlie Elphicke's deleted account, so they definitely don't.)

Also thanks for the response a few pages back btw, interesting!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Seeing how it's getting a bit of traction, I'm getting certain suspicions about people provoking a

sort of thing now, and it might not be great if this became a "look how the left is hounding this lovely, innocent, sweet man" story instead of focusing on many people in positions of power being predators

(well, the latter probably won't happen anyway, but getting a bunch of people sued for libel is possibly not ideal)

ed: it's probably emergent behaviour rather than provoked, but still applies imo

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 2, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Ann Tifa, well-known star of Final Fantasy VII, has been reprising her role as a terrorist,

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Oh my god those designs are absolutely cursed

although elsewhere on the site, there's this lovely mask which is actually really tempting

ed: what an awful snipe. have a bird instead

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

Jaeluni Asjil is a theoretician. You'd never catch one of them sending mail bombs, that's a practical aspect.
so was Uncle Ted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like this finally encouraged Starmer to get off his fence:

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1292804638857715712?s=21
also the follow-up