Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

https://player.fm/series/behind-the-bastards
Latest BtB goes into why US cops are the way they are, and surprise surprise it's someone out of their depth using 'Killogy'. Yeah.

As for mental health I can deal as I have a separate office to paint in, although I do have to take breaks off twitter/here. I worry more about my girlfriend since she got made redundant, her anxiety's through the roof at the minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Red Oktober posted:

Often played by Lance Reddick, to be honest.

(Deputy of Ops in The Wire, obviously Broyles, Charon in John Wick, Christian DeVille in Corporate...)

And if not, David Harewood might be available.

Yeah, that's a surprisingly accurate trope!

Reddick is Bosch's boss in Bosch too, again as a Police Chief. At least in John Wick 3 he gets to do something as opposed to barking orders as the stern but fair on the protagonist higher up.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

So for anyone with a brain, around the end of July is about the time every thirsty amateur will have stopped clogging up the pubs? That 4th of July weekend is gonna be New Years Eve+, none of the Spoons Gammon crowd are going to respect distancing/queueing in the slightest. I can't even see how any of the Soho pubs I drink in being able to operate under these shoddy as gently caress 'guidelines' anyway.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Fish & Chip chat: If you're in North London, Poseidon in E Finchley & Two Brothers in Finchley Central are at the top end of what I've had across London*. My girlfriend rates Toffs in Muswell Hill too but never eaten from there.

*I'm from W Yorkshire so nothing down here will ever taste remotely as good as Northern chips, but at least you get an absolute poo poo ton of the things down South.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

kecske posted:

It's a trick of the mind. Food always tastes best after a hard days work so I imagine a bag of chips tastes incredible after hours in a pitch dark blizzard evading the walrus cavalry or whatever it is that happens in yorkshire

Hahaha yeah. That, or they're made in an entirely different way up North. Contemplate this, as you sit in Buckingham Palace desperately trying to reword stereotypical tropes about Northerners & paying 2.5x as much for them as you would anywhere above Luton.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Camrath posted:

Another Finchley local? Represent! Poseidon I’m not a fan of, but Toffs is indeed excellent as such things go.

Two Brothers I think I’ve only had burgers from, but they were decent enough.

Yup. Actually this bodes well - you do the fudge right? Was gonna order some fairly soon.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Camrath posted:

I do indeed, and orders are currently open!

Also happy to deliver to your doorstep as you’re local, given the problems with RM recently.

Awesome, whats the link again for it?

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I used to live in East Finchley (Fortis Green) back in Maggie Thatcher's days. It was fun being in the Labour Party back then. (It was a hot bed of sexual liaisons). We put some idiot called Lawrence Spiegel up against Maggie. Contemporaries were Frances Crook (of Howard League for Penal Reform fame), Rudi Vis & Jacqui Suffling (before they married).
Trying to remember where the Poseidon was (if it existed when I lived there!). There was a pub down near the tube called The White (Hart? Lion?) we used to go to and the one we used to hang out in after Labour party meetings was The Windsor Castle.

Poseidon is on the High Road, about 2 mins walk up from where you turn right on to Fortis Green. It's changed a Hell of a lot in the ~5yrs I've been here. Madden's Bar is still there, if that was a thing when you were here. Although they're trying to sell it I think.
ed: The Windsor Castle is still there, as is the Labour HQ. Cheapest Pub by far so I hope Lockdown doesn't kill it.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Camrath posted:

Lol, another place where my wife worked in the past.. (Maddens that is. It’s a shithole with an owner massively on the take. Avoid!)

Personally I think the best bar in Finchley is the Bohemia brewpub in North Finch, If only because it was taken over by an anarchist collective for a while a few years back. Great food and some really good beers.

The Stag isn't bad, albeit lacking for barstaff that actually notice customers instead of endlessly walking out of the bar to do nothing in particular. I don't mind Maddens, not been in there a while. I avoid Gertie Brownes like the plague, & the beer in the White Lion is shite.

Good mate of mine was head brewer at the Bohemia until last year. It's alright, I guess London Brewing Co. took it over from the anarchists then. I have issues giving any money to LBCo. from a design job I was doing for them about 5 years back, because one of the directors is a massive jerk who at the time was filled with just divorced energy. He got bought out though, and now has the Arnos Arms by well, Arnos Grove. And no matter how hard he re-decorates that place will never not look like an 80s Harvester pub full of families on their way somewhere.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't remember Madden's at all. There was a pub just a bit north of Fortis Green (opposite side of the road).

If you mean by the crossroads of East End Rd/Fortis Green that's the Bald Faced Stag, which I'm reliably informed used to be rough as gently caress back in the day, it's a Gastropub now with a big old restaurant on the side. Otherwise that might be Gertie Brownes, a place where the exclusively over-50 clientele clearly think my girlfriend wants to talk to them as they stand outside chainsmoking with pints of £2.50 Carlsberg.
Or the Clissold on Fortis Green, which is another restaurant pretending to be a pub where The Kinks drank in the 60s.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

sinky posted:

so Universal Credit have reminded everyone today that they have to meet their job search commitments

Isn't that just for people who were already on it when Corona hit, because Tories are loving monsters? Only thing I've had through off them is 'tell us how much you earned in the last month', same as the last 2 months.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yep, just apply for it anyway - they'll ask her to put in her details assuming you're living together (as it's considered a partnership) - they'll take off her wages but your mortgage/rent will supercede that as it's factored in. If you earn anything, that gets factored in too at some 60p on the £1 rate or something. You should at least get the ~£400 or so + rent/mortgage contribution despite her working. We got ~£1000 1st month, then ~£300 the next as I hosed up entering my furlough pay pittance that they take into account too, because how it's worded is absolute poo poo.
Hope that makes sense. I'm having more grief off the Council applying for a Council tax reduction as they I provide what they want and then they ask for the same thing again. And their website only accepts loving jpegs for bank statements etc.

Edit: my GF was furloughed that first month, redundant the next, and I can't get through to tell them their wordings dogshit/made a mistake. My accountant's been worth his weight in gold last 4 months.

Goldskull fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 1, 2020

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

The Donut posted:

It depends how much your wife earns, rather than how many hours she is doing. She might be earning enough to reduce any potential UC payment to zero that you might be entitled to. As an example my sister went on it with her boyfriend, she is self employed and her earnings fluctuate each month, he is employed so gets a regular salary (around £1300~). Their first month they got £0, but the next month they got something under £100. Self employment is a bit of a pain as in normal times the work coach would go through a bunch of questions with you to determine if you 'gainfully self employed' or not (and you can get a second opinion on this because lol some of the work coaches don't really know much about self employment). If you are, they kind of leave you alone to do your own thing, but might ask you to bring in evidence of income or expenses. If you aren't, then they might expect you to be looking for work alongside the self employment. Not sure how this would be affected currently with covid though!

This is also worth noting. The call I got (I'm a 1 man Ltd Company Director so ALL my money is from Dividends + a ~£700pm employee wage that you could furlough yourself on up until a cut off date), the UC guy phoning up just confirmed some things I'd filled in like who last paid you (me) , DOB etc etc. There's a Journal thing once you register on UC to fill in, but IME they're not plagueing people to spend 36hrs a week jobseeking. You have to go through this DIGIDENTITY app thing too, which was getting hammered a few months ago but once thats up they call you rather than the days long phone wait I was hearing about. YMMV.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The weird thing is that every time I try to run though any version of the application, it literally says no because she works more than 16 hours. Which seems like bullshit if you have a partner who works 20 hours minimum wage.

I might be misunderstanding it, but the local CAB have been absolutely no help - if I try to walk in they say I need an appointment, and if I try to call they never answer. Job centre won't give me any advice unless I'm already registered.

I'm also interested in how this works because I'm convinced that the whole self employment / LLC / tax deduction / bankruptcy system is a coded system for rich people to magic up free money - start a company, pay yourself a wage, run up a bunch of debts and then write it off via bankruptcy.

The reason not everyone can do it is because only the rich are trained in how to structure it without ending up in jail.

Are you looking at that benefits calculator thing? Ignore it and just do the UC online application, it has the questions on your living situation etc within.

I'm trying my best to help as I asked the same thing on here a few months ago, and got poo poo off people for being a ltd company and following the same financial advice off accountants/agencies so I could actually get loving paid when they changed the rules about 6 years ago, only help I got was 'LOL sucks to be you being a company director and going under the tax bracket as an employee', like I don't pay best part of 5 figures a year in tax. Same poo poo on twitter, where all the mouthbreathers think you're some kind of cash in hand 1970s Handyman.

It won't do any harm to fill in the UC thing, they'll come back on you and say whether you're entitled to anything. I know it sucks, I'm 2 months away from having to borrow beg or steal now.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Prince John posted:

Do check whether you qualify for the benevolent fund at the top of this page - it's there to help stave off those kinds of choices for forums regulars.

I appreciate that, I have parents/a mate who've said they'll back me up before it rolls to that though

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I don't get what you're on about, nothing about what you said was dickish in the slightest. And LLC are US things no? Essentially matey, just apply for UC and see what they say.

^^For Bobby Deluxe

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I'd like to thank Universal Credit for loving me over by counting furlough pay once, and then counting it again to reduce UC pay when I transferred it from my business account to my personal one. I know this because the council e-mailed me to demand the details of this payment at the time I hadn't received. What a shitshow.
And if people think this year is bad, wait til we're in a Brexit harsh realm next year on top of a recession while Pfeffel mugs away 'not believing in gestures' waving a kipper and dropping to the floor doing press ups. gently caress this country and deeply stupid planet.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Mask Chat: it's about 50/50 round here (E Finchley) across the age spectrum. Supermarket staff don't seem to bother at all now, going from 'as much PPE as they can' to 'gently caress it whatever'. The Budgens has a big sign up already saying 'DO NOT ENTER UNLESS WEARING MASK PLEASE', and the woman in front of me contemplated this by blocking the entrance with her old lady trolley, until a mother/daughter team just walked straight in past with no masks. I can't see them enforcing it come Friday due to all the ballache security/staff'll get off Karens & Dickheads if Twitter's anything to go by in the last week or so.

Also, fun phonecalls off Letting Agents:
'Are you still on UC?'
'Yes, you know this by the screenshots of money we've been receiving I've e-mailed you each month, and the previous phonecalls'
(goes into ramble about how it's terrible and we're not monsters etc) then 'but they just walk into the country and get it all handed to them don't they?'
'I didn't understand that last bit, what?'
(repeats)
'Who do and what are you talking about?'
'Oh...er, ignore that. Are you paying any rent?'
'You know I'm paying 50%, as per previous'
'I'll call next week, you'll have to pay that back gradually as well'

Which I knew was coming at some point, but wasn't expecting casual racist shite thrown in too. Ironic, given the lass calling me & the owner are Greek, & the other guy who works there is Eastern European.
Expecting a massive rent hike come contract renewal in October too, which I'm going to argue against unless they can prove the actual owners mortgage has gone up. 'Inline with market increases' isn't acceptable reasoning.
And I'm intent on paying owed rent back, I'm just not in any position to for the forseeable future because gently caress knows when my work will pick back up again.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I certainly wouldn't be intent on paying rent, it's something you do because you have to, property owners don't need or deserve it.

Well indeed, but I tell them what they want to hear. I'll look at rental unions.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Flatmate chat: I've lived at (I think) 15 different places in 20 years of being in London. Fun highlights include:

The flatmates cousin who moved to the UK - "she'll only be here a couple of weeks til she gets herself sorted". She never moved off the couch for 2 months, or contributed anything. Me & rest of the house confronted her and said 'either she fucks off or you start paying for bills', upon which they both melted down and called the police. Who never came. They moved out about 2 weeks later, never said a word to anyone again and just scowled if you'd pass them.

Same house, later - The guy who went from 'busy carpenter you'd never see' to 'clearly drug-dealing and having people round all the time to listen to poo poo techno til all hours'. Fun walking into your living room and finding some random person sat watching TV, like
'who the gently caress are you?'
'Alex's friend'
'where's he?'
'at his girlfriends'
'Get out of my house please'
He went loving ballistic on me when he came back, like it's somehow an acceptable thing to do. Fucker stole a load of my DVDs too. Stayed in contact with one of the guys, the last straw was Police coming round at 7am on a Saturday to arrest him for 'parking tickets'. About 3 years later I got a Bailliff letter telling me I owed ~£160 on the Gas/Electric I thought had been swapped to someone else's name, although that was fairly easy to clear up. Oh, and for about 2 months a lady backed with 2 meatheads in a van would knock about once a week, wanting to speak with an ex-housemates girlfriend on the £££ she owed to Kays catalogue, despite me telling them the landlady lives 5 doors down, go ask her if you don't believe me and no, I'm not telling you my name.

The guy who would start cooking about 5 minutes before I'd get in from work, using 3 of 4 hobs, the oven and all the admittedly tiny kitchen workspace for a good hour 30, making what appeared to be the same fart smelling meal of boiled cabbage, some kind of stew & chicken kievs every day, then sit in the equally tiny connected living room and make the most disgusting slobber noises while eating it. After about a week of this (he'd just moved in) I said look, can you either cook earlier or wait til I have, because it takes me 1.5hrs to get home across the North Circ and I'm loving starving every night, plus wash the loving pans up after or get your own. Was driving the other girl there mad too, around this point we said to each other don't bother washing his poo poo up. A week later cue everything spotless along with a note 'I HAVE CLEANED ALL YOUR MESS I WILL NOT DO SO AGAIN'. And as a bonus, he thought it was a good idea to come back with 3-4 of his mates all pissed up at 2am on a school night and sing Russian drinking songs. loving had enough of that, and luckily a place came up with friends around then.

I don't think living with friends is any easier, done that twice with 2 sets and both times we all agreed to shift somewhere else after a year before we murder each other. Thankfully lived with my other halves the last 10 years, was fun to see the look on my ex-wife's face explaining that she's leaving me and we'll both have to go back to housesharing: 'You're leaving, I'm keeping this place. gently caress random ever living with random people ever again'.

In short, people are trash to live with.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/25/wileys-management-firm-drops-grime-artist-over-antisemitic-tweets

Isn't there an issue of antisemitism among the black community, because of some highly influential bloke back in the day? I thought I had read something about that a while back, linked here maybe or somewhere else or somewhere.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/behind-the-bastards/id1373812661?i=1000484862608
Or what goddamnedtwisto said, that's a link to the Behind the Bastards podcast on him. Teach me to look at the next page first.

Goldskull fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 25, 2020

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I'll have to check it out, I got all the time in the world for BtB though, it's been consistently awesome. Especially when they take time out to rag on Ben Shapiro's bullshit novel.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They started off in Soho proper, but down at the Chinatown/Theatreland end, because they always had a pretty canny business plan of being a sex shop that wasn't one of those loving terrifying Private Shop places that stink of rollups and desperation - they gave plausible deniability for someone being in the area without frightening the horses by being on the high street.

Ha! I painted the shutter last Summer for Diamond Jacks Tattoo shop, which is sandwiched inbetween two of those on Walkers Court. The guys that run them are sound enough but the clientele are all like something out of a bleak late 70s drama, and nearly all of them thought I'd be good to have a conversation with while working. :negative:

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

stev posted:

Have they actually seen an increase in footfall on the days the voucher applies for? I sure as poo poo haven't felt inclined to go for a Nandos at the beginning of the week just because it's a bit cheaper, especially since I'm working from home so it'd require a special trip out.

https://twitter.com/HawksmoorLondon/status/1288032311095767041
5000 people in 6 hours reserving tables for £10 steak & chips. Which is an absolute steal for the quality. gently caress knows/cares about Nandos.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

@ Guavanaut, is it OK to put a twitter link to the paintings I'm selling in here? Trying to make a bit of cash & 10% of proceedings go to Motor Neurone Disease carers to help my GF's Mum. Thought I'd ask first.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I have no problem with a single link, don't know if anyone else has any objections.

I think anything being bought and sold officially has to go through SA Mart but as long as this thread doesn't become goons.ebay.co.uk then v:shobon:v

Cool.
https://twitter.com/Endless_PaulyT/status/1289142136005431296
There are others on my profile but I will stick to the single link rule, sure people can check it out.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I've never put all 5(!) of my A-Levels on any CV, and took them off my girlfriend's CV when I was reformatting it for her a couple of months back. She was all 'Why did you take them off?' and it was 'you have multiple certificates in your chosen field, nobody gives a poo poo because you're not 18.'

Seeing a lot of job adverts even last year as I got a call, on whether I was interested in doing the work of 3 people for about £15k less than you would expect in some industrial estate outside the M25. There's loads of design/social media jobs asking for poo poo like 15 years experience/we expect you to be top of the game in at least 4 different specialist niches too, poo poo simply doesn't work that way.

FUN FACT: Grant Shapps is Mick Jones off The Clash's cousin. He must be thrilled.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Blaze Bailey bummed drinks off my friend all night upstairs at the Intrepid Fox
And I also ligged into Kai Hansen's birthday bash upstairs at the Intrepid Fox - I told security I was the sister of the long haired Red headed broad Scots accent barman and they asked him and he said yes I was :)
I've got more but am fed up typing on this titchy phone keyboard and trying to fix all its wrong guesses.

Assume you're talking about the original one on Wardour St? Man did that place ever go downhill when all the decent staff left for better careers and became entirely staffed by metal poseurs. When it moved to the back of Centrepoint I think they sacked the entire lot of them multiple times for dealing/snorting coke from the back of the bar. Then shifting up to Archway and employing a pay to get in door policy killed it off for good.
All tales from either Tower Records or Soho boozers.
Famous people (good):
5 minute chat with Robert Plant about a portrait I did of him & Jimmy Page, man I was starstruck on that, thought about 2 mins after he left 'I should've got him to sign something'.
Advised Steve Davis on non-sweary/gory kung fu films for his lads birthday, so a lot of Jackie Chan films. Nice guy.
Bruce Dickinson & his Radio 6 crew in The Ship requesting AC/DC all night as one of them had never heard Bon Scott era. I was behind the bar, 2 lads came in, one with a Maiden t-shirt. They threw the horns at him as he was leaving, so he went over, chatted with them for about 10 mins and hugged both on going. Don't think I've seen two happier metal fans.
Introduced Howard Marks onstage, he was a fun fella who absolutely loved telling stories.
Stone Temple Pilots were absolutely miserable bastards, although I think Weiland had just come out of rehab, he didn't want sharp objects (including pens) anywhere near him.
Taylor Hawkins is always in The Ship if he's in town, fun guy who'll chat to anybody who approaches him.
Told Adrian Edmondson he looked like me as he was drinking in The George with Roland Rivron. He laughed.

Famous people (bad):
Cara Delivigne/Agyness Deyn getting IDed in The Ship by the completely oblivious to their fame landlady, then pulling the 'Don't you know who we are?' card. Nope, and unless you have a apssport that says you're 21 on it, you ain't getting a drink. They looked like it was the first time anyone's said 'no' to them, sneered at her and walked out.
Bjork would regularly come into Tower, head straight to her albums section then throw a tantrum at staff if it was missing any titles, like they should always be checking if there's enough copies of Post on shelf.
One of the Ops managers I'm still friends with was on first name terms with Shane McGowans wife, as he was putting him in a taxi pretty much every Friday - it was open til midnight and he'd decide to do some record shopping off his tits. Wasn't so much fun when he threw up over a wire basket full of blank cassettes though. I've seen him in the Boogaloo up Highgate a few times, he just sits at the bar making hissing sounds (which after a while we realised is him laughing) and drinks pints of white wine.
Florence, of Machine fame, also in the Boogaloo where she spent the entire night making out with her guitarist up by the bar. Which isn't inherently bad but get a room, don't think we needed to see you slobbering over him like a 16yr old for 4 hours.

ed: shifting not shiting

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah Wardour St mid80s to early 90s before it became a tourist haunt. Used to be packed with metalheads punks skins. I didn't know it has moved to Centrepoint. Another place that used to be good and righteously metal was Royal George Charing X Rd (near Astoria and TCR). That went downhill when they started trying to attract a different crowd too.

It shut in about 2004 at the original Wardour address, I was friendly with one of the DJs there and he said it needed a lot of work doing, the roof was caving in. Got bought by some building firm IIRC and sat derelict til about 2012 when it reopened as a Byron Burger. I'm assuming they couldn't get planning permission for flats, I know the outside of the building is grade II listed. If Pat & January were running it when you were going there, they shifted to the place just behind Centrepoint that was...The Galaxy bar or something before? Anyway, like the Astoria it was one of those buildings scheduled for Crossrail demolition, so they moved it up to what used to be The Archway Tavern on that island* by the tube, where it finally died, as people weren't gonna pay £3 to get in, go that far out of town or just go to Big Red for free.

The Royal George does a fair few Blues open mics now I think, been a while since I've been.

*no longer an island since they pedestrianised it all so you have to walk half a mile to catch a northbound bus.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Camrath posted:

So what I’m getting is that we’ve all knocked around a lot of the same venues at various points, wonder if we ever met.

If you drank in The Ship between about 2003-16 I'd have either served you or been stood at the bar. I go in now & again to see a couple of regulars but it lost all it atmosphere when Fullers decided to hound the landlady out of her job, jacked the prices up ridiculously and my dickhead of an ex-wife likes drinking there so tend to booze in Bradleys more often than not now.

On more famous people chat, but more 'seen in passing' rather than interacted with:
Jack White is the palest person I have ever seen, like a 9 on the Maris Piper scale.
Seal is incredibly tall, as is Vic Reeves.
Simon Pegg I've chatted to twice, once before Shaun of the Dead, and once disastrously as I was drunk as all balls, but he was a nice guy.
Used to see Karl Barat off The Libertines all the time in Bradleys but given I think their musics dogshit 6th form band junkie nonsense never bothered talking to him. Slightly connected to that: the previous tenant of the place I lived in Highgate was The Libertines manager, the one who hit and ran some poor guy leaving him with 'life-changing injuries'. They had to replace a lot of the fittings before we moved in, and he left behind all the court papers and 3 albums of baby photos. No drugs though, I did a thorough check. Everyone in that block despised him, as he'd always have people round for a midweek party and play music off the balcony. Unsurprising.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Wait which The Ship? I think I used to go there (?) some times after the Crown and two Chairmen stopped serving or for a change of scenery (that place went down hill after they cleaned it up) and once there was a guy in the toilets shouting at his own dick about how disappointed he was with it.

Wardour St one. Crown & Two when I was there last year on a Friday night, my second pint og Hells was 30p dearer than the 1st. I asked why and the answer was 'surge pricing', which is loving despicable.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

The celebs thing is all location IME, ie working in Piccadilly then behind/in front of bars round Soho it's fairly impossible not to bump into famous folk.
A journalist friend of mine has life membership at The Groucho Club so I've been in there a fair few times - unwritten rule is don't engage/take pictures with the celebs if you're a nobody, so while I've seen a lot of folk in there, the only one I ever had a brief chat with was Sean Pertwee, and that's only because he asked me for a light. I expected it to be pretentious as gently caress in there but it's fine aside from the utterly obnoxious rich kids.

Oh yeah, ended up talking to Bernard Hill one time too, about the British Museum of all things as I had my Rosetta Stone t-shirt on. He was in with one of the voice-over tech guys I know. He said he didn't actually go out all that much due to people forever coming up and quoting Lord of the Rings or Yosser Hughes at him. Which I'm sure gets infuriating after a while. Heard the same with Simon Pegg now too, he can't go gently caress all anywhere without someone telling him he has red on him etc.

Side celeb note: My girlfriend used to work at the beauty salon in Harrods doing makeovers, so she'd get various celebs in regularly, Faye Dunaway being notable, a lot of footballers wives she'd no chance of recognising but given they'd tell her within a minute of meeting she got to know anyway. Her favourite one though: The Rocks Mum. How would you know? She likes telling people, says she wouldn't normally, then pulls out a laminated photo album of The Rock as a kid. Said she was an absolute sweetheart, bought a lot of make-up and dropped them a tip too.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Talking about same names and schools, so have one about both.
For my seven years at school back in the 90s, I was picked on by this one teacher.
He used to play garlic football with my father back in the 60/70s, so thought it was that.
But turned out that the year I started, another kid with my exact same name was leaving in seventh year.
Then about 3 years ago I got a facebook request from the kid, who was getting pokes from people thinking they were me.
We got talking, and turned out the same teacher made his life hell due to his family having a beef with the teachers.
So this poo poo of a teacher was taking it out on me, due to some other fucker.
Absolute asshat.

My evil twin is pretty cool, family is musical and posts them online that I enjoy listening to.

loving teachers. A guy called Stokes had it in for my brother for some unknown reason when he was in the first year of High School, so 11 years old, and woodworking class (CDT) really matters at that age. Ragging on him in front of the class to the point arkid couldn't sleep and it was actively loving with his mental health. Brother finally came clean to my Mum, who went straight down there and handed his arse to him in front of the headteachers, they transferred him from that class after he got an apology. So the year after they decide to put me (2 years older) in his class, which I was dreading. Until I clocked he was terrified of making the same mistake again so me and my mates just chilled doing gently caress all at the back for an entire year chatting with the tech assistant Alan, who'd started there after retiring from being a stage/set builder for Leeds Playhouse and was at school for beer money, and told us all tales of theater shenanigans. I don't think I said more than 3 words to Stokes the entire time.
Imagine Stokes - he looked exactly like Rodger De Corsey with no Nookie Bear and clearly had some pent up rage. He married one of the English teachers who looked like Beaker off the Muppets if Beaker had washed up dead from a sea of bleach and she hated me with all the passive/agressiveness she could muster, simply because that dickhead decided to try and destroy my brother for zero reason at all.
It was also a hilarious time where they were gradually replacing a lot of way past their sell by date old school geriatrics who were clearly losing their marbles/deaf too. Cheers, school in the 90s.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

When I went back to the dating a game a few years back, took some new photos, wrote an honest statement avoiding all those cliches 95% of people have (Wow! You love dogs & going on holiday? We were destined to be together!) and off we go. First person POF ULTRAMATCHES me to? The wife that had just left me, still using the same 10 year old photo she had when I met her originally. Her little statement was pretty fun though, in that it should've just read 'I like doing cocaine, never finishing anything I start and making bad decisions' rather than a generic list of poo poo she never once mentioned in the 6 years I knew her.
Other fun dates:
Girl 1: 'I'm really bubbly and vivacious when we go out, big into going to the cinema' = 'one word answers, shy and seemed taken aback when I asked her what films she liked'
Girl 2: A sweetheart but was on the recovery side of a breakdown. Dated a few times but she would endlessly ask questions over whatsapp, to the point of 'just ask me when we go out in a few days otherwise I have literally nothing to talk about as you've asked me through text' and didn't appear to sleep, ever.
Girl 3: Nice, it matches me with an illustrator. She wanted to chat through POF's absolute bullshit system (I think it allows 10 messages before it starts overwriting/deleting the previous) which is fine, have a great conversation about art and such for about 4 days then she just blocks me out of nowhere.
Girl 4: 5 minutes into date and I was all 'yes this girl is for me' and has been my lass for 3.5yrs.

My favourite comment on online dating was from my mate John in Norway. Bear in mind neither of us are beauty contest winners:
"I loving love those guys who send dick pics and get all irate when girls don't respond to their thirsty texts within seconds, as it means I can get dates simply by being a reasonable human being that isn't doing any of that stupid poo poo."

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Ah man I'd forgotten about the looks you used to get on the 'how did you two meet question' - a lot of people I'm still good friends with hooked up and married off of the Straight Dope messageboard interactions/meet ups back in the early 2000s, including myself. From casually meeting up for a chat ended up in a 4 year long distance relationship that took me across the entire East Coast of the USA twice and behind the scenes in various academic places throughout the UK. She posts on SA too, but don't think I've seen her in this thread.
"How have you not been murdered yet?" was a usual response, most of us just said 'oh mutual friends suggested we go on a date' til everyone was online dating from around 2008 and now no-one cares.

The idiocy lasses face from thirsty clowns on dating sites was something me and my now girlfriend discussed on our first date, which was along the lines of:
Sooooo mannnny dick piccccs the second she agreed to whatsapping rather than POFs clunky messaging system
Date that went alright but no spark - guy starts messaging his 'bedroom intentions' while she was still on the bus home. They weren't friendly going by the screenshots she took before blocking him.
Two married men dates, where their profile was 'single looking for a long term relationship' and neither of them even bothered to hide they were just there to hook up. So she walked, and fair play to her.

The other two I briefly dated from there had similar tales, it must be loving exhausting trawling through all that poo poo. GF even said I was the last attempt she was having at the online thing, she could live without all this crap. But she chose...wisely.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

we are in hell
https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1297113207551733760

article is here for those that prefer the text

I had no idea Trinny was Saatchi's girlfriend. My girlfriend worked for her make up business before Covid hit, they failed to pay her correctly the last month, had her make influencer style make up tutorials 'or we won't pay you' which they never even looked at, underpaid her furlough then made her redundant after a month. gently caress her. I know they didn't look at the vids as I had to wetransfer them for her, as their comical free use google share account wouldn't work, and they don't have any perm IT staff. I'm assuming the freelance on retainer had more urgent things to do 4 months ago than make any of that work when not even using the paid version.
And lol the UK's richest politician is 'Nouveau Broke'. Fuckers.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

cool stuff about shelters

I did the tour of Clapham South shelter with all round train expert John Bull off London Reconnections back in 2016. They said they were going to make it a regular tour but I don't think they ever did, was fascinating. They were hiring it out as dry document storage for years, but all the original bedframes are still there that housed the people sheltering, then US Military and later the Windrush generation that came in temporarily until they were housed in the surrounding area. There's still graffiti from the 40s/50s on the walls.
The TFL guides knew their stuff, there's even the stairs still there up to the Northern Line platforms, albeit blocked with tons of piled up metal railings, and for some reason they don't know which part of the platform it would've come out on, despite I would imagine it being fairly easy to work out.
I have a load of pics I can upload to Imgur if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please do, I've missed out on the ballot for the Goodge Street tour every single time (and am ashamed to admit I never even knew they did tours of Clapham South).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z5z3u04mda8xxcp/AAAgMAV_Zu2CYapppEi2AkxKa?dl=0
Imgur was being crap, but regale in my amazing cameraphone photography here.