Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

I think that's a function of people misunderstanding reality, and thinking that statues are somehow put up by a grateful populace, rather than by the people with the money to make big bronze statues.

So the distribution of statues is always going to be a mixture of absolute shitstains and ridiculously wealthy (Colston, Milligan, Leopold), 'controversial' and may have done a war crime or twenty but sometimes it was in the service of a not-terrible ideal (Cromwell, Smuts), and a tiny amount of statues to decent people put up by academies and institutions (Turing, the other one of Turing).

e: ^^ lmao

You raise a good point - people keep saying we should take down statues of bad people, but many forget that some of these so-called "bad" people were actually incredibly rich. If we start condemning the wealthy just because of a massacre they did or the people they bought and sold, where will it all end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I have made a lot of bad posts on these forums over the years and I want to take this moment to thank you all for reading them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wonder what b3ta is up to these days.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Julio Cruz posted:

gonna head over to Bread and Roses tomorrow, coming up with a new username is gonna take some serious thought
Same, I want to at least give it a look even if this place ends up sticking around. Not being able to change username makes it all the more difficult a decision though, your handle can really make or break a posting career.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Someone posted a tweet ITT the other day that said something like "Starmer supports the government position but maintains that they must continue to be held to account" and I genuinely thought it was a genius parody except it turned out to be an actual quote.

It's incredible to see all the big brains praising what a formidable opposition Sir Keir is, particularly when half that praise is coming from people sitting on the government benches.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

big scary monsters posted:

Someone posted a tweet ITT the other day that said something like "Starmer supports the government position but maintains that they must continue to be held to account" and I genuinely thought it was a genius parody except it turned out to be an actual quote.
It was this, lmao. Apparently regarding the decision not to let school children starve after all, but honestly could fill in for almost any statement from the LOTO on government policy.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Julio Cruz posted:

is there anywhere on the planet that actually has a competent leftist government? genuinely contemplating moving to somewhere less poo poo, even if it's only marginally so

I hear good things about New Zealand

People on the left have been saying nice things about Kerala of late but I confess I'm not really much up on Indian politics.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Ronya is good for the thread and I'm glad they post.

Jose posted:

in case people aren't aware the people who run bread and roses are dodgy as gently caress. like 2 sex pests and someone who outs trans people dodgy
So someone was saying in the GBS thread but I don't generally keep track of forums drama and I didn't see any detail, you got any more on this?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

stev posted:

Judging from the five minutes I've spent on it it seems pretty loving dead.
Yeah it's fairly quiet. I guess if Lowtax comes back and nukes the forums it'll pick up, for now it's more a handy backup plan.

e:

Jose posted:

Zyla who controls the bnr money was/is big on sending unsolicited nude photos to women. I've seen a pictue of it myself but don't have a copy because I don't really bother saving stuff like that. I thought that forum was dead until yesterday
I just don't get it, does being an admin turn you into a creep or do only creeps get made admins?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 25, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

I just thought it was an anime thing but I suppose the venn diagram of anime fan & neo-Nazi is close to a single circle

I see this misunderstanding very, very often, and in honour of maths chat earlier I want to finally clear it up. Venn diagrams do not work like that. They work like this:

Here is a general Venn diagram for anime fans and neo-Nazis, assuming the sets are non-disjoint (that is, some number of anime fans are also neo-Nazis and/or vice-versa).

Now, let's say that all anime fans are also neo-Nazis. We can introduce shading to distinguish between empty and non-empty sets. Here I'm using unshaded to mean an empty set, so you can see that there are no anime fans who are not also within the set of neo-Nazis. However, some neo-Nazis are not anime fans, as shown by the shaded portion of the neo-Nazi circle outside of the intersection.

If all anime fans are neo-Nazis and also all neo-Nazis are anime fans we shade only the intersection - the sets "anime fans who aren't neo-Nazis" and "neo-Nazis who aren't anime fans" are both empty.

When you talk about the the diagram being a circle you are most likely thinking of Euler diagrams. These are quite similar to Venn diagrams, but show only some of the relations between sets rather than all of them. Here is the Euler diagram of the second example above, all anime fans (or maybe all antifa???) are neo-Nazis, but not all neo-Nazis watch Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If you wanted to show the third Venn diagram above, you could expand the small circle to the size of the big one, and you would indeed have a diagram that is just a circle, but that's hard to label without being confusing. Here is what Wikipedia calls a "Humorous diagram comparing Euler and Venn diagrams." Now you are in set 3!

e: To be consistent with the first diagram I guess I should have used shaded to mean an empty set rather than unshaded. Ah well.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 27, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is it the case then that the area/shape-sizes never represents actual values? I mean I guess that would get tricky anyway with more than 2 circles and you'd have to start getting creative with the shapes
Typically they don't, but it is in many cases possible to draw Venn diagrams where the areas are proportional to value. Often it's easier if you use ellipses, as in this example I pulled entirely at random:

forkboy84 posted:

The venn diagram of people who are pedants about venn diagrams and people who should care less about venn diagrams is just a picture of goatse
What else is mathematics but a formalised system of pedantry?

e: I'm glad Glinner is dead, that pathetic mumsnet whine and the ensuing rejection by their top transphobes is the perfect ending to his posting story.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 27, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

This seems... bad. But I'm not really qualified to speak on it, others might be more so (warning, contains standard Guardian trans reporting style).

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/27/stonewall-new-boss-gender-transgender-rights-nancy-kelley

My read is that the argument she is making is more "let's get trans people legal recognition and protection first, the culture war can wait" which make some sense to me in that it's going to take a while until all these old bigots in positions of power die off but you can make life a lot better for a lot of people right now just by rewriting a couple of laws.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jippa posted:

What is "eulerdiagrams.org" and why does it keep annoying my anti virus when I come in this thread?

I was on my phone and hotlinked an image, fixed with an imgur link instead now.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You can just not look at bad people's tweets. My twitter feed is almost exclusively scientists in my field tweeting about interesting things they're doing. I set a few mute words to screen out the names of the most prominent politicians because I just don't want to discuss that stuff on that platform, and if someone I follow spends all their time retweeting hot centrist takes on how Trump is bad I mute them too.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 28, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Imagine being a billionaire and being so incredibly fragile as Rowling. It's endlessly baffling to me that she has all the money in the world - the ability to fulfil each and every whim, to turn into reality any dream she can possibly imagine - and for some reason chooses to spend her days in the dankness of her wretched posting cave getting insanely upset and owned online. All about a group of people, with whom she presumably has almost no real world contact and who cannot affect her life in any conceivable way, merely existing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Gonzo McFee posted:

You know what's really depressing me. We could get a leak from MI5 showing that they actively sabotaged Labour for ten years and pushed Starmer to become Labour leader and the most attention it would garner would be on twitter. The press would ignore it and move on. We've completely abdicated any power or position in mainstream electoral politics and we're just cut out entirely beyond occasional jabs about twitter.

I'm just so loving done with British politics and Labour in general.

"MI5 is the leadership the Labour Party desperately needs if it's to regain voters' trust" - my opinion piece today in the Guardian.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
FBPE types are so smugly self-righteous and unappealing that whenever they try and dunk on Brexiteers for being crass English stereotypes it makes me want to support Brexit just to be on the other side of the argument to them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Flayer posted:

Jesus christ Starmer is painfully weak. The Tories could not have asked for a better opposition leader. It seems like Labour have decided on a strategy of nuanced nit picking - support everything the Tories do but include a minor vague criticism as well. The only time Starmer has taken an actual position on something is sacking RLB.

No more opposition for the sake of opposition!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Noxville posted:

Fresh from celebrating the deaths of stabbing victims, Ash Sakar is now committing heinous antisemitism by asking what kosher salt is

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1278957882378248192?s=21

I truly hate this stupid country

For anyone else who has been confused when trying to follow an American recipe that calls for "kosher salt", it's literally just coarse salt like you can find in any supermarket for 90p per kilo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
An impressive 4 layers of remove from actually supporting a pay rise, really shows what a lawyer of Starmer's calibre can bring to the table.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Flat roof pub chat is interesting for me in that while I'd know instinctively not to go to one in an unfamiliar place, I wouldn't have been able to explain just why. It's funny how you unconsciously assess these things, and how your assessments can lead you astray if you go somewhere where different rules apply. I was visiting a friend in Berlin, and they came to meet me at the station when I arrived about 11pm. My internal "you shouldn't be walking here" alarm was going off for most of the walk from the train station to their place through what are in fact perfectly nice and safe residential areas, because "run-down former industrial site" is just the general vibe of the entire Eastern half of the city. Twisto's example of former gin palaces is another good one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lmao "Woke-us Dei", has Milo Edwards decided to branch out from writing Brendan O'Neill articles?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I was surprised to get a letter a few years back saying that my student loan had been sold to a different company. I believe a whole tranche of them were at some time under Cameron. Nothing changed in terms of the loan agreement for me, but presumably it means the Student Loan Company has already got a lump sum for it and whether I ever pay another penny or not it's just some private debt collectors who'll care.

That made me wonder what portion of the loans are still held by the government owned SLC and if the fact a bunch have been sold into private hands makes a future government forgiving all the debt more or less plausible/expensive.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol how stupid would you have to be to buy SLC debt expecting to even make half your money back

Sending some heavies round your house to give you some interview practice and professional training in the hope you'll starting earning above the threshold to pay back the loan.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

They're such a liability I'd want to be paid for taking them
They sold off £3.7bn worth of debt, which the Department for Education valued at £2.6bn and which ultimately went for £1.7bn. The National Audit Office considered that the government had sold it too cheap, while the Tories considered it a smashing success and were planning on selling off more.
https://www.ft.com/content/df8b7c80-8a82-11e8-b18d-0181731a0340

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Communist Thoughts posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I also have absolutely no idea who is and isn't Jewish or how to tell and never knew I was meant to.

drat, you could be doing anti-Semitism all over the place and not even realising! So first off, you'll need some calipers...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

These schemes have been mooted every now and then but I'm not aware of any actual action taking place beyond the kind of small scale pilots mentioned in that article. It seems like there's not much in it for European countries, you need an expensive university system that creates a lot of debt like the US or Australia for a reciprocal agreement to make sense.

If you're Germany (for example; most EU countries fit) and have workers who were educated in the UK and are now paying taxes in Germany, what do you care if they're repaying their foreign student loan? University is free (or close enough to make no odds) in Germany, so it's not as if the UK can reciprocate by snitching on German repayment delinquents living in the UK. So why would you go to the effort and expense of tracking them down just to disadvantage your own residents or citizens? How would you even enforce repayments?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Tangentially related to automated train chat: the Next Big Thing being touted in autonomous vehicles is cargo ships. Looking forward to 250,000 tonne tanker ships merrily cruising the worlds' oceans with no human oversight beyond a guy sleeping in front of ten monitors at the other end of a dodgy satellite uplink.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

That seems weird because the majority of the work on a ship isn't driving it, it's keeping everything on board running so that it can be driven as opposed to sinking or exploding or drifting aimlessly and then sinking or exploding.

TBH I imagine it's mostly Rolls-Royce and Kongsberg pitching a solution almost nobody is really looking for to a really hard problem so that they can siphon off great big gobs of government money into endless research grants. Same basic scam as autonomous cars.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Who would have thought tom watson would have dodgy views about noncing.

Strangely, while several papers are running a story on people calling Walliams' books poo poo, I haven't seen any reporting on the dressing room stuff. Even if they don't want to call him a nonce straight up, you'd think something equivocal like 'Walliams accused of "inappropriate" relationship' wouldn't be too much of a stretch to defend printing given all those photos and text logs.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Completely random thought after seeing that closeup of Bolsonaro's covid-spittle (CBA finding the tweet, who needs to see that face again?). Does language - or even accent - have an effect on the transmission of infections? Like do people with a lot of plosives in their speech spread the disease more than those without? Am I more at risk talking to someone in German than Hawaiian?

Lexicon Valley (a podcast about language and linguistics, interspersed with showtunes) did an episode partly about this, and concluded that it doesn't make any real difference. https://slate.com/podcasts/lexicon-valley/2020/05/japanese-language-coronavirus

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

loving lmao at this and everyone who signed it

https://harpers.org/a-letter-on-justice-and-open-debate/

quote:

The forces of illiberalism are gaining strength throughout the world and have a powerful ally in Donald Trump, who represents a real threat to democracy.

quote:

The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away.
lol yeah, how's debating Trump and exposing his ideas been going for you you rubes?

e: drat, John McWhorter is on that list, he's the host of that linguistics podcast I posted before and seems like a good guy. Sad to see he buys into the Free Speech Union theory of politics.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 7, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Communist Thoughts posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/ad8d8a26-c87c-4cd3-96dc-ad5111eace1b
Sunak unveils £2bn scheme to avoid youth jobless disaster
Chancellor to announce creation of ‘free labour’ pool for companies for six months

God drat, the two things* the tories know how to do is
A) Sell public assets to their mates for less than its worth, bonus if you just bought it off your other mate for more than its worth
B) Offer big businesses free labour in order to keep wages cripplingly low and destroy labour power

*non-racist

I admit that I'm not a genius hedge fund manager with 9 figures in the bank like Sunak, but it almost seems to me like if you offer companies guaranteed free labour with no strings attached, they're less likely to hire people in "actual" jobs with like a contract and rights and above minimum wage. Possibly an oversight on his part???

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Comrade Fakename posted:

Glenn Greenwald’s good pal Tucker Carlson, yesterday:

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1280660998198898689

I have no idea what this is in reference to or who any of the people in that tweet are (Jesus Christ excepted). Maybe provide some context?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

thespaceinvader posted:

Clearly shan't is a contraction of shannot like can't is a contraction of cannot.

I like to get those occasionally but they tend to be a lot more expensive than regular onions.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm very pleased to finally have the stats to show that I'm an engaging, low impact poster.

Also Rakosi appears to be the poster with over 1000 posts with the highest FLAPS score (a powerful 1.311), so bear that in mind when you look up your own rankings.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If I understand correctly, cancel culture is when you criticise someone in public for things they have done or said, and it's very bad. Instead you ought to expose their bad ideas and defeat them through open debate, which is good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crispix posted:

So it's just people not wanting others to point out that they're cunts?

(I'm getting old and have stopped following a lot of what is going on, for the sake of my sanity)

It's free speech warriors yelling "debate me, snowflakes" and then when someone does they go "no, not like that" and all the radical centrists stand up and clap and write columns in national papers about the danger of silencing opposing viewpoints.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Someone train the bespoke per-user posting models so that we can all finally log off and just let our perfect autonomous alter-egos fill up the thread for us.

Oh no! It turns out the bots are all racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm not convinced that my third fourth* favourite word is Staatsbürgerschaft. I guess it's just an extremely rarely used word in these threads, and your formula is skewed heavily by a word's unusualness? Actually most of my "favourite" words are in German, I think from one time someone asked about laws relating to inherited citizenship or something.

*turns out radians is my third favourite word, which seems OK

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 14, 2020