Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jabby posted:

Remember when I wondered less than 24 hours ago how many police would be willing to use real ammunition on protesters?

https://twitter.com/GottaLaff/status/1267451009544028167

its ok though they "returned fire"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if bloody sunday is a good example, if there is a functioning US government after a massacre expect "justice" in around 50 years, and even then its just performative

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

30% accuracy is still like multiple orders of magnitude more accurate than the army.

Main takeaway I think is that on a statistical level, in a fight, guns just aren't very accurate.

i recall that most bullets in armed conflict are used for suppression of the enemy rather than actual killing?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol if you sit and/or talk with anyone when you go to the pub

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Good interview with the author on Novara too

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol all this media guff about being still able to travel abroad this summer for beach holidays through “air corridors” if countries have low covid levels -absolutely not what the U.K. is or is going to be

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

:(

In my head, Data would either write him another Ode or else play/compose a violin piece, and I would cry.

E: also Data experiments with a series of new pets - robotic, holographic, Targ, bird, before a chat with Geordi/Troi helps him realise that Spot can't be easily replaced and he needs to take some time. Episode ends on Data cleaning away Spot's toys

Less of this pls :(

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Yeah he’s the dictionary definition of a patsy if anything

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ok this constant media push for "air corridors" has made me realise that the only reason its going to work is if the holiday destination "ie all of benidorm" is quarantined from the local population, just letting disease brits run around the place boozing up and sharing bodily fluids

it will be bartenders and waiting staff in full PPE too

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/DawkinsReturns/status/1269661639869153281
Great thread for filling up on fash tears. I especially like this one:

https://twitter.com/DawkinsReturns/status/1269662465111003139
I'm using the NHS meaning of "mobilise", so in my head he's just repeatedly trying and failing to get out of his chair.

lol the footie lads are middle class families with season tickets, but I think the footie lads he’s referring to are now in their late 50s or 60s and are too cirrhotic to get up off the couch

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’m quite shocked that statues are not the immovable metal blobs I thought they were

I guess most of them are hollow not solid metal?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Yes and extend this to all the Tory ghouls who pretend to be impartial, also the news papers they keep pretending people read

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

Really weird to see this statue thing on the front pages of some of the right-wing papers for the 2nd day in a row. Like, it's really struck a nerve or something.

Peasant revolts tend to do that to the elites

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

But if we pull down all the statues of 19th century imperialist slavers what on Earth do we put up instead? A statue of a teacher or postman?! It’s madness beyond belief

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gossip time, but Natalie Rowe is making noises about revealing who "Mr Twist" from her autobiography is:

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270402225156866061

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1270421736027295751

Note that she's done this before, teasing that she'll reveal who he is, but this time she's offered some rather more specific hints (in particular that he's knighted and a media owner rather than just a media figure) than last time that also exclude a couple of the most-guessed suspects from previous teases (including mine), so it's possible that she might be serious this time.

Um is she suggesting it’s George Floyd?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

XMNN posted:

like obviously the "but my white British heritage :qq:" people were never interested in history, but this is actually a really good time for finding out about things you never knew about

e.g. did you know Henry Morton Stanley was a slave trader who ran the Congo for Leopold? I didn't, but now I do

https://twitter.com/ranja_d/status/1270420575161389058?s=20

rip down his statue and replace it with one of Alice Seeley Harris, who I'd never heard of but seems like a decent person to memorialise in his place

https://twitter.com/tinekepauw/status/1270438808794869761?s=20

Christ I think I’m going to cry

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

What’s better is the thousands of people protesting these injustices years ago, with no hope of immediately seeing any change , and then suddenly society convulses and the dam breaks

Or yeah nothing ever changes why bother doing anything

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

i was thinking itd be funny if we took to the streets and it turns out that right wing views are just massively over-represented electorally cause olds loving love to vote but they aren't gonna actually challenge direct action in any way

And as they get older they tend to find themselves in leadership positions through gerontocracy, and even further from the public sentiment

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It’s the old adage of think of how dumb the average person can be, and remember that 50% of the U.K. population are dumber than that

Except instead of smarts it’s racism

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

It’s one thing for us to bring over some extra fags or wine, but I can’t imagine it’s going to be fun being a huge factory and expecting all the imported stuff to be up to standard

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

XMNN posted:

What effect will this have at the Irish border? The UK government don't seem to be taking the infrastructure for the internal border with NI particularly seriously, either, so that seems like it would be a pretty easy way to get shoddy goods into the single market

I guess they’d have to bypass the U.K. entirely and use their own ports rather than using the U.K. as a land bridge

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Fawlty towers script .doc

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

That's why they say 'talk to a grown up' rather than 'talk to your parents' :v:

Lol true

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

Come on out you black and trans?

Literally do not say the next line lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Funny thing these Tory governments, they get sweeping mandates from the electorate but after a few months they’re as weak as poo poo and u turn constantly

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

was vera Lynn still alive?!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

On the one hand, locals knock down a statue that they hate because the guy was a massive oval office, leading to greater discussion of the horrific crimes and a huge swing in public sentiment

On the other, racist knocks down a tombstone , leading to public disgust

Must be frustrating to be a racist in 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I think the Lib Dem’s were so humiliated, as were anyone that voted for them, that they’re dead for the next decade atleast

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nothing like a bit of intergenerational conflict to distract everyone

Should be a triple lock for everyone unless you’re wealthy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

loving the BBC breaking news alert with "the reading stabbing suspect has a muslim name!"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The blow back from Libya back into the U.K. has been insane, wasn’t the Manchester bomber himself trained by U.K. aligned groups in the conflict?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol if you don’t say England when referring to all of the four countries

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The common knowledge that boris is a liar gives-
1) an easy out when he does go back on his word
2) boris defenders an opinion that you shouldn’t have trusted him because you know what he’s like

Everyone wins and the press get to pretend they’re shocked, shocked I tell you ( and ignore actual news)

It’s infuriating

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I’ll start the wiki . Txt

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kingturnip posted:

So it turns out that when the Housing Secretary did Tory donor Richard Desmond a favour and approved planning permission, he saved him around £150m, rather than the £50m that was originally reported, and meant that he didn't have to use as much affordable housing.

I mean, if I was a cabinet minister and was going to save someone £150m by being corrupt as gently caress, I'd probably ask for more than a £12k donation to my party. Which is why the police should be looking into this right now.

This is why I think the tories are happy to deliver watered down labour policies rather than loose and stay true to their right wing beliefs, day 1 of another government and a fair number of people are facing serious corruption prosecutions

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Between this thread and Novara I’ve learned more relevant British history than anytime at school or while at and beyond higher education

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Was half expecting the bbc breakfast team to ask people why A-10 warthogs were not deployed to strafe Bournemouth beach

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Is it true that if you do pure maths your teeth fall out?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Assange was an idiot (rapist) for not following the most basic of rules - never gently caress the fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Good to see that Ireland came together in the spirit of harmony and lock out the winner of the last election because they’re left wing, a resounding success for the ballot box imo