Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

A trade union 'without politics', in the UK context, could well refer to a union that chooses not to have a political fund as defined under the Trade Union Act 1984

Finally, a teachers' union without a political fund as defined under the Trade Union Act 1984!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

I don't think OF had that specifically in mind - hence my quick sketch of why, in fact, a union 'without politics' is a real thing that exists in UK labour law

yeah that was more about Lord Adumbass :mmmhmm: signal boosting it for reasons, he's probably not excited to bring the good news about funding technicalities to the tweetiverse

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Limmy's gone too far this time

https://twitter.com/HudMo/status/1266926534041853954

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ it's gonna be frank sidebottom

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Also some are taking offence at police officers 'taking the knee' or asking to walk with them.

It's because it's an empty gesture at best (they're still part of a system that didn't spring up overnight, and they're trying to gain sympathy and neuter the anger that's driving a movement demanding actual change)

at worst, well...

https://twitter.com/80SREDKY/status/1267961620921298944

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 3, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

peanut- posted:

A two metre distance would allow maybe 8 people at most to sit in my local. There's no way it would be worth the pub even paying staff to be there.

are you meant to go outside while they deliver the drinks to your table?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Darth Walrus posted:

There's likely police departments where kneeling in front of protesters has quite a different symbolic meaning, too, considering what kicked this all off.

There was one clip of a cop kneeling on a protester's neck, another cop literally yanked his leg off because everyone was about to lose their poo poo

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

how can people not recognise gammon in the cool year 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

that horse can't see where it's going, right? are they completely blinded by those visor things?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

Blinkers are normally to specifically stop it from seeing anything other than where it's going.

Because horses are barely controlled bundles of insanity at the best of times.

yeah but these look like they completely cover the eyes so the horse has to rely on its rider, but I don't know if they can see a bit or what

just wondering if that panicked horse running down a city street had any idea of what was in front of it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It might just be the light making them look opaque, it went pretty straight down the street at least

deftly avoided that traffic light

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

too bad the manager has been called :(

https://twitter.com/RoystonMuseum/status/1269713901572235267

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah the right will dump bad faith Legitimate Concerns over any issue, don't see how that's an argument against identity politics (which is literally what BLM is)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think you're confusing identity politics (the politics surrounding how different identities experience marginalisation, inequalities, violence etc and the work done to highlight and address those issues) with some dumb strawman poo poo you got off the bad side of the internet?

Jose you're slipping!

https://twitter.com/MirrorBreaking_/status/1269742332099858432

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You can't even run a massive slavery empire without the SJWs complaining these days

^^^ some tweet earlier had one of his old tweets in the replies, saying if eastern Europeans want to pull down statues of Marx and Lenin that's their choice

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 8, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

those pics are in the wrong order surely

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

So, and to be clear I'm not using this to defend media in our country, I have seen it stated that basically the people who are on shows regularly are because they're always available for them regardless of how last minute it is. Ash Sarkar gets invited on because she is good for viewer ratings and is hot. Brendan O'Neill is on everything because his life has absolutely nothing going on meaning all the shows know he is always available.

So when you see the same right wing talking heads it's because they have literally no life and can be relied upon for all shows

I forget who posted it, but there was an article from someone at the BBC explaining its commitment to "diversity", and it basically came down to creating an identity matrix. They'd have a whiteboard with things like "white, BAME, gay, straight, female, male, left-wing, right-wing" and so on, and they'd plot that against their list of guests and mark which boxes each one ticked.

They had to get a guest list where each one of those things was represented, and if someone dropped out they'd get someone else - who usually didn't tick the same boxes, so they'd end up changing all the other guests just to find a new combination (seems like they minded more about certain identities getting too much representation than others)

So people who check a lot of those boxes pop up a lot, because they slot into that system pretty well and act as an easy grab bag. Young tory leave voting male spouting alt-right garbage covers a lot of bases

owns

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I assume he also gets trotted out a lot because look at t'northern lad who like t'ories.

oh for sure, forgot about that one

also people fined by the electoral commission

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think spangly's friend is less worried about taking a screenshot with a MY PROFILE: JOEY JOHNSON tab open and more about being one of the few people able to see this guy's stuff (especially the private extra bad posts) and maybe one of the most likely to be suspected. So having some org - especially a really official businesslike one - doing all the paperwork at least takes some of the pressure off, and they become the thing that the guy really needs to worry about

I don't have any suggestions, but are any of the bigger anti-racist organisations likely to chase this kind of thing up? I mean the kind of stuff like tell mama where they actively want people to report things, and anonymity is important because it often involves the whistleblower directly

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Also twitter is bad but when experts talk about interesting subjects you can learn a lot of niche stuff!

https://mobile.twitter.com/oldenoughtosay/status/1270376631274790915

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

wish they'd brought that cat in or at least checked if it was microchipped instead of releasing it panicking into the street on a random side of a big rear end river :/

Illuminti posted:

I can tell you're nearly there, but unfortunately no, I'm not going to play. It's kinda weird (and telling) how desperate you are to rather than even have a vague discussion with me, or simply ignore me, you are trying to goad me into revealing a sin so you can screech witch at me and run me out of town.

I'm well aware that there is nothing I can say that you will not claim makes me racist. I do not agree with you, therefore I am a racist.

The above will probably be more than enough for you to call me a racist to be honest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtT0xZ11wM

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

AI is finally indistinguishable from humans :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1270273981283794948

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ms Adequate posted:

A predatory man, you see, would certainly be willing to commit heinous acts against women, but the one rule he would NEVER break is to enter a women's changing room or loo. But the loophole of self-ID fixes that! One weird trick women HATE him!

The best part about these arguments is that it just ignores the possibility of predatory women in those spaces, and that maybe the solution is to ensure they're actually safe for everyone instead of relying on some kind of honour system

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

bessantj posted:

Sorry to drop in the middle of jkr chat but has anyone here actually experienced white guilt? Someone I was having a chat with said that the only reason that white people were backing BLM was because of white guilt, I suggested that he was talking bollocks and no one I know has experienced white guilt but it did make me wonder if anyone I could speak to had actually experienced white guilt at all.

this is gonna be a personal thing, because people can definitely feel guilty when they discover privilege is a thing, that they've been unaware of what others go through because they've never had to worry or think about it, or maybe they realise they've been dismissive of issues or just generally a bad ally. Which is really a growing process - they only care because these are principles that matter to them, discovering you've not been meeting your own standards can be rough but it's an important step. And yeah, lots of people feel they need to make amends and be better, because they've let themselves down as well as others, y'know?

Anyone who's going "it's all about white guilt" definitely isn't taking that angle though, that sounds like the "you can't even be white these days, there's the real racism" types

and also Voldemort and the fash wizards and all the people saying "mudbloods". Is she Harry or Hermione when the latter's trying to liberate the slaves and the lads are all "hahahahaha imagine, thinking elves deserve to be free hahahaha" 🤔

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

Anyone that dunks on the Harry Potter books for not supporting our current astute political readings of the text but also somehow didn't twig that the fictional S.P.E.W. the Society for the Promotion of Elvish Welfare might actually be an extremely obvious reference to actual historical S.P.E.W. the Society for Promoting the Employment of Women and riffs as though they aren't also an idiot needs to be burned alive.

what's your point? women were also actually happy with their lot and didn't want things to change, or something? because that's what happens in yr book you're literally Stanning

are you just mad I told you you don't know what identity politics is or what

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm sorry, and don't worry about E/Ning in here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wachter posted:

Don't underestimate the ability for people to rationalise this train wreck ("See? Told you it was a load of fuss about nothing! Only tens of thousands of died! There are much higher numbers than that!") rather than admit that the government they enthusiastically voted into power utterly failed them at every turn. Even if COVID had gone full-on Captain Trips as a direct result of Tory incompetence, people would be saying how much worse we'd have it under Corbyn

The tories are 100% banking on this with the performative lockdown and sensible and extremely scientific easing of restrictions

When brexit hits it'll be nothing but "aw dang, it would have gone perfectly if it weren't for that lousy coronavirus!!"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Not defending that guy but the EXCLUSIVE SICK TAUNT seems to be that a scum journo doorstepped him at his mum's house and that was just his reply to a question

why were they there exactly?? isn't the big headline printed on thousands of newspapers the taunt

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

epic

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

I think it's potentially a little misleading, if you want to draw conclusions about the lot of the average boomer vs the average member of a different generation from it.

I think the point is more about where all the wealth is concentrated, and how massively that's weighted towards boomers as a group

that's the thing about economic policy, if you get it wrong all the wealth ends up pooling in one place. Younger generations are seeing more and more of their wealth captured, through things like having to pay rent to the people who own housing, and budgets and austerity measures hitting people with less wealth while protecting or even benefitting those with a lot more

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Dammit, sorry Jabby. Take care of yourself and I hope it's not too rough on ya

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah acting as though there's a threat to war memorials makes it a news story, and then that's what people talk about - they don't even need to believe it, it's just a way to move a difficult and uncomfortable subject onto much safer territory and give people an excuse to call the protests A DISGRACE

Gonzo McFee posted:

Every TV historian is loving terrible.

https://twitter.com/BBCScotNine/status/1271552129778487301

Almost as if there's some sort of barrier. Where to be allowed to talk about history on TV you have to have gone through the institutions that benefited the most from the crimes of Empire.

You can hear a good point almost forming but no it just collapses into whataboutery and racism and social problems are all somewhere else and a reference to THE COMMIES in 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Also all of youse using Plex, make sure you set it up for offline use
https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

because you need to be online to do that, and if your internet goes down and you haven't already set that up, you can't watch anything even though all your stuff is right there on your home network. It's bad!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I too, respect things by pointing at them.

Smithers, are they doing nazi salutes at the cenotaph?

No sir, they're saying "see, high!"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

endlessmonotony posted:

Since the confusion on if you want to count the original "anti" in "antifascist" or just the "anti-" adding to it muddles the issue, the press will call antifascists fascists.

just call them pro-fascist, easy

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Prince John posted:

There's just nothing to be gained by being the lone voice arguing against respecting the dead and the hostile reaction to it seems a bit out of proportion to what he's actually saying.

There's definitely something to be gained from a representative of the Opposition not just tacitly agreeing to government plans to lock people up for 10 years for a political act though

That's the problem with Starmer's Labour - the whole plan seems to be "don't speak up about anything, don't criticise, don't cause trouble, support the government and we'll be rewarded for it when everyone remembers our good faith actions". He could have easily said yeah we support some kind of law but hey 10 years is a bit much isn't it, we can't let the government use this to enact wildly harsh legislation that represses and criminalises people's right to protest. Whatever careful wording you like, just something instead of "yeah I support the governement on enacting a law, next question"

Like this is a major point in history, there's massive social unrest and awakening to a point, with people asserting that the institutions that control and define our society don't work for us, they're a roadblock to change instead of a means to create it. The statues are kind of a flash point, because people have been going through the system for years trying to have something done, and even a little footnote plaque gets blocked because the language is too critical of the person they're glorifying. The system was there to stop anything meaningful from happening, and now they're mad that people realised and sidestepped it when the opportunity arose

And in this moment, Labour - the supposedly left-wing party 5 years away from an election, with all kinds of poo poo on the horizon that's going to cause pure political chaos and nobody will remember how adult and sensible the party was - is taking a position of :geno: System good, no complaints, support the government, demand acknowledgement that there are some problems

Labour wouldn't be the lone voice arguing against anything, it would be joining all those voices who are already fighting for something, elevating them and giving them a platform, being a parliamentary force to push back on the government whose response is to double down on authoritarianism and refusing to respond to people crying out for change that needs to happen. Instead they're closing ranks

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm talking more broadly when I say massive unrest (mostly about the US), and I said "to a point" because it's not like a revolution is about to occur here. But at the same time, there's a sense of a broader awareness and engagement - even if people aren't out protesting they're talking about it, they're defending it. Removing statues isn't rioting, but it is a very specific political act rooted in specific criticisms and a desire to take action, because the system has failed - and there's a national conversation about that, people supporting those ideas, looking for something to be done

So when you have a lot of people actually taking notice, of what's going on in the US and what our own legacy (to this day) is, that's space that Labour should at least be present in. Instead they seem more like they want to distance themselves from it at all costs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

go to bed!!! or marx is gonna fly through your window like in that one dream

Rustybear posted:

You're being unfair to marx, he didn't give a prediction or a schedule he just developed an argument for why capitalism is not self-sustaining and must eventually reach an unsustainable end-state. You can buy time by using your advanced economy to exploit less developed economies (which, like say, is why a lot of the unrest in the 20C was in places being exploited rather than in the advanced economies doing the exploiting); you can chase new sources of profit through hyperfinancialization and other arcane methods; and you can go just plain go backwards.

Yeah, doesn't globalisation kind of complicate the dynamics a bit? I mean imperialism was already a thing, but when the working class's own material conditions depend on the exploitation of the working class somewhere else, when externalities are pushed onto other countries, when their own states are operating as a proxy for other more powerful states (or even just large multinational corporations) it's a bit more complex than just "here's a country and the workers in it suffer so they overthrow the system in that country"

This is why I wish there were some more contemporary go-to texts that explain these ideas in a modern context - like you can read Kropotkin and get the general idea, but the plan he's sketching out seems simplistic when you apply it to a world where we import 2/3 of our cheese (DISGRACE), because it doesn't really reflect our current situation. And maybe there's a way to transform our current economy along the same lines, or maybe it would require going back to a more localised, self-sufficient system, but it would be nice to have that laid out explicitly by someone reflecting on the current situation

(I'm sure there are a lot of texts that do this, usually people tend to recommend the original from yon times though)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

She's been taking questions about the government's track record of racist policies, and talking about her own personal experiences of racism, therefore NO U

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I've got a corona q if anyone wants to do a science

So my dad's been buying these
https://www.virustaticshield.com/
and it has a "unique anti-viral coating" which lasts "up to 3 hand washes" so you should "wash sparingly and only when necessary"

as far as I'm concerned that's bs, you treat any face covering as if it's contaminated and you wash it as soon as possible, you definitely don't let it hang around for a while to marinate and then put it back on your face next time you go out. My dad's annoyed that I "think I know better" even though it's literally marketing blurb that I have zero reason to believe

anyway does anyone know if there's anything to this at all? is there any coating out there that gives more protection than actually washing the thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

There's some like brass and silver that can be impaired by overwashing and sterilize themselves over some hours, and there's HEPA type materials that are best sterilized with UV-C than washing, but unless it names names, studies, and patent numbers I'd file it with the covid USB stick.

Yeah I was really just wondering if "wash the drat thing every time you use it" would ever be the wrong advice for something you're not going to throw away. Like "avoid washing" sounds like really risky advice?

And no there's no specific info at all lol so I'm just treating it as marketing, just wondering if something along those lines is A Thing that's definitely being used in clinical settings or whatever