Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobstar posted:

Fringe is excellent and crazy, John Noble is great, and I need to rewatch it soon.

It did lead to my wife and me coining a TV trope of "Broyles' brother", after the character played by the excellent Lance Reddick, when we started noticing that seemingly every show we were watching featured a slightly-older-than-the-protagonists black man who was still a main character but usually an ancillary role like a chief, boss etc.

Often played by Lance Reddick, to be honest.

(Deputy of Ops in The Wire, obviously Broyles, Charon in John Wick, Christian DeVille in Corporate...)

And if not, David Harewood might be available.

Yeah, that's a surprisingly accurate trope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

A girl I knew growing up was almost attacked by a guy in a bathroom in the town centre.

It was a woman's bathroom, because it turns out someone who's going to attack someone doesn't really give a gently caress what the sign on the door says.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

He's also making a very strong play for 'videocall bookshelf of the lockdown'. Very strong.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I've always said that Bristol was notorious for harbouring slavers. The BLM movement is just continuing this legacy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s some straight up Streets of Rage poo poo right there.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This is the only kind of firefighter v cop rivalry I'm interested in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsroqqvp2cc&t=52s. Welcome to the retro-future.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Saw this on my Facebook feed:

Britain is pretty good at racism, and Churchill was excellent at it - perhaps he was the greatest?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Marenghi posted:

I'm loving it. I've taking up art and woodcrafts. And seeing so much more of my children. The office is opening in August at reduced capacity but I'm hoping to WFH until the years over.

There's definitely a split between how people are handling it. Some like myself enjoying the extra time and lower stress. Others are climbing up the walls going mad. I think the second type are the ones going to IKEA or Pennys on opening day to queue for hours just to shop. It's like their whole being is so subsumed by capitalism that they cannot function without the ability to be consumers.

Woodcrafts sounds like a brilliant thing to pick up - I'm a huge fan of the whole 'shopwork as soulcraft' theory - so much of what a lot of us do is moving numbers around on a machine that producing something physical has great mental value. I've used lockdown to do a bit of homebrewing, and write a really basic article about my experiences - I'd recommend it to anyone who's looking for something 'productive' to do with their time.

And although it wasn't known when I wrote the article - the beer turned out great.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Backyard birbposting update: There's loads of tiny new fledgling bluetits around. They're adorable and would totally yell ACAB at the police:

All Crows Are Bastards, it’s true.

Excellent birbs. We have a brood of goslings and some cooties too around.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Necrothatcher posted:

So are they going to get that Rhodes statue down then? Seems a bit trickier than Colston.

I have no comment on this. But here’s some advice on moving heavy objects, surrounded by netting.

https://twitter.com/oldenoughtosay/status/1269649586152407040?s=21

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

13% approved of the removal and the method. But 40% approved of the removal but not the way in which it was done. I can only assume they wanted his arse removed, stuffed with dynamite and have him blow to the sun.

Anecdotal I know, but I've found those 40% can be very quickly won around if you mention that campaigns and petitions have been going around for years with no action taken.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Thinks she’s Hermionie, actually Umbridge.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Munin posted:

Man, it must be years now since I had a pint of Doom Bar. It used to be the best bitter on tap at one of my local pubs. I liked the stuff.

It’s a decently consistent ale if it’s served right - it’s certainly a go to if I don’t like the look of anything else on tap somewhere.

bessantj posted:

Sorry to drop in the middle of jkr chat but has anyone here actually experienced white guilt? Someone I was having a chat with said that the only reason that white people were backing BLM was because of white guilt, I suggested that he was talking bollocks and no one I know has experienced white guilt but it did make me wonder if anyone I could speak to had actually experienced white guilt at all.

Guilt, no - I’m conscious of the relative privilege it brings and try my best to use that to level the field, but I wouldn’t call it guilt.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

This was true for me too but it's been Guinness for the last year or so. Maybe that's a sign I'm getting old and terrible.

A good Guinness is fabulous. The quality control at the point of serve is monitored by the brewery which helps.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pencils R Cool posted:

But there is fury over the statue's planned removal today with former Queen's Scout Len Bannister, 79, guarding it this morning declaring: 'If they want to knock this down - they'll have to knock me down first'.

If it wasn't the DM I'd think they were taking the piss giving his age.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I have a sneaking suspicion my business school is going to be renamed.

https://www.cass.city.ac.uk/news-an...the-slave-trade

Pleased to see that they were already looking into his links with the slave trade in February at least.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

https://twitter.com/thedaillew/status/1272807309044068354?s=21

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

However if your hair and beard are long enough you can be recognized by humans very easily as "that great hairy beardy fucker"

Feels like this is what thwarts Alan Moore’s attempts to go off grid.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jose posted:

its essentially officially over as of July 4th now

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1275352698930565122?s=20

Yeah, it's just been confirmed.

From BBC:

From 4 July pubs and restaurants will be allowed to open both indoors and outdoors if they put in safety guidelines including table service online.

Other businesses allowed to reopen will be:

Hotels, bed and breakfasts, campsites and caravan parks
Hair salons and barbers but with visors worn
Playgrounds, museums, galleries, theme parks, outdoor gyms and arcades, libraries, social clubs and community centres
However nightclubs, spas, indoor soft play areas, bowling alleys, water parks, indoor gyms, nail bars, swimming pools and water parks will not be able to reopen at this stage.

Reduced to 1m where 2m isn't possible.

Upshot is that it's now going to be possible to open pubs, I'm on a zoom presentation with BrewDog and others as I type: essentially 2m rule reduces capacity to 30% which is impossible for most businesses to open, 2m raises this to around 60-70% capacity which makes many more possible to open.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mr Owl posted:

I wonder where they will draw the line between nightclub and pub

That'll be interesting - I wonder if they'll insist on 11pm closing times. As it gets later and people get drunker they're much worse at distancing anyway, so it would make sense.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Thank god I’ll be able to slink off to the pub for a G&T after posting yet another scathing comeback in the UKMT though. Praise be.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m here with lots of pints. They’re just out of shot, laughing too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ah, an in-line Goatse. It's like the old days again.

God, I can't believe there used to be file forums.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, "choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life" is bollocks under late capitalism, you pretty much have to be petit-booj to get one of those 'jobs you love' with any stability, and loving, say, electronics design is a lot different to loving electronics design to deadline and budget in a lovely group project office culture for lovely corporate clients.

I've known plenty of hobbyists in one area or another who've had all the joy sapped out of their hobbies by trying for a 'job they love'.

100%, I was massively into computers as a teenager, completed my bachelors in computer science (spec in AI) and went straight to work in the tech research department in a very prestigious investment bank straight out of uni. Sounds ideal, but it absolutely killed my interest in computers because turns out when you spend all your day doing something, you don't want to spend your free time doing it as well.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Gorn Myson posted:

Just picture him saying "its loving mental" and you've probably got the gist

(I haven't watched it)

The Room Next Door does it much better, and more subtley.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nuanced-loving-debate? Yes, are you a bigot or not. Some serious nuance there.

edit: 203 is the number of seats Labour currently hold. But only if you count the speaker.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 2, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pablo Bluth posted:

The other end of this is tautological place names, where over centuries places accumulates geological descriptions in different langauges. So Bredon Hill apparently translates as Hill Hill Hill.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tautological_place_names

Solihull is from 'Soil Hill', which is great fun to tell people when they snootily say that's where they're from. (or more when they correct your pronunciation of it)

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 2, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kingturnip posted:

Is that like poo poo Heap?

Not as exciting, just for some reason the church was built on a very muddy hill? :shrug:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Starkey is resigning his various positions as we speak, presumably due to statements of the likes of Fitzwilliam College saying they're 'reviewing his position', and that his comments are 'indefensible'.

So looks like he might have actually hosed it this time, which is nice.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Party Boat posted:

Lol that Darren interviewed his hero and destroyed his career

Honestly, I hadn't actually appreciated this in its entirety before seeing it written in black and white - and I thank you for that. :discourse:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I know the Mirror’s tone in the article is that it doesn’t approve, but I just wish the press would actually challenge a point, or even put something like “claimed ending evictions was a ‘necessary step to ending lockdown’, but offered no explanation as to why, or how the two were linked”.

They all just print the quotes without any actual thought or intelligence, it’s so loving frustrating.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Matthew Calamari is the name of a mafia bodyguard from a really poo poo airport thriller, IMO.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

hemale in pain posted:

Ehh I sorta disagree with it being stupid. People are gonna drink and i've already seen tons of people just pissing in the street this last week without the pubs even being open.

When i say tons I mean 4 but that's already 4 more people than i'd ever usually see pissing in public

Most cafes and shops etc have their toilets closed as well so it’s definitely an area the government should be stepping into.

If you want to look up Theodicy, or why god permits evil to exist, section 214 in your local library when it reopens will help you.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 4, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

Alternatively, gift cards from WH Smith for Amazon and Steam...

It's trivial to stop them being used for gift cards - in fact if they code them as 'gift cards' the hard works already done - you can't use a gift card to buy a gift card.

edit: ^^^ snap

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 6, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

stev posted:

AFAIK from people I've spoken to they still really heavily push the 'It's basically free, you won't even notice that you're still paying it off when you're 40' angle.

I know it's not the most popular opinion, but I think the best way to think of it is as a 'graduate tax'. You pay 9% on anything above 26.5k, so if you

a) earn below that you don't pay a penny (and it's wiped after 30 years)
b) earn just above that and you'll pay 9% on the amount above 26.5k until it's wiped
c) earn a lot above that (55k+) and you'll pay 9% (above 26.5k) until it's paid off.

They're not on credit files, they're taken at source; they're not really a 'loan' in the way we think of loans and debt at all. It's a tweak to the tax system in exchange for university and only IF you earn 26.5k or more.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

peanut- posted:

I really don't understand this £1,000 to employers for bringing back furloughed employees policy.

It's not possibly enough to make it worth any employer retaining staff they were planning to fire. And it's a bunch of no-strings free government money to other firms that keep staff they would have kept anyway.

Is it just blame shifting? The government has done their bit to keep people employed, and every firm that takes the money can be counted in stats as a job the government has 'saved'?

The only argument that could be possibly made is that if a company was on the verge of having to get rid of an employee for cost this could just tip it over the line towards ‘keep’.

But yeah, not likely.

Of course if you had a load of furloughed employees in say, a pub chain, who you are now bringing back anyway - well that’s just a nice £1000 bonus directly from the government per employee isn’t it. Cheers!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Me and my partner work together. She has went back to work while I stay furloughed for health reasons. She's just told me that anyone off furlough is not allowed to discuss anything that is happening in work with people who are still furloughed. Since lockdown I've received one phonecall from my boss. Something seems odd with this. She's been told that its a legal thing. What on earth.

This is so they can't sneakily make you 'help out' with tasks while you're on furlough. They can ask you to do training though - so they are allowed to contact you but I imagine they'll take the policy of "safer not to contact at all" so they don't risk losing the furlough payment.

I suspect, with no evidence other than what I've seen with other parts of HMRC, that they're going to come down pretty hard on employers who are making furloughed employees work in order to minimise the amount being paid out.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Midges demand a vote in any referendum due to service. Midges demand referendum on banning anything stopping them from eating human flesh. 97:3 victory. Midges demand referendum on limiting citizenship to protostomia, because how could anything that formed arse first be a citizen? 85:15 victory. Cuttlefish begin to colonize.

Service Guarantees Citizenship!

(and yes, that is an early Neil Patrick Harris)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jel Shaker posted:

The twitter hack is just classic corporate espionage from a private equity firm, deliberately timed to knock the share price and or manoeuvre someone onto the board

Cyberpunk 2020 is more boring than I imagined then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I assume it'll be reopening indoor performances but with restrictions such that venues can either reopen and go bust because of limited audience numbers, turn into superspreader events (and go bust) or not reopen (and go bust)

Yup, it's all great - allowing venues to reopen means that they can't use their insurance to cover closure. But they'll have to somehow survive with 1/4 of the paying customers from before. Enjoy!