Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Problem description: My grandparents are at the point where they install every browser extension they can get their hands on, fall for telephone tech support scams, and click OK on every goddamn dialog box that pops up. Their computer is wrecked and I doubt I will be able to change their browsing behavior. Most recently after giving "HP" $100 to delete "8 Trojans" from their computer while "fixing their printer" via RAT, every instance of chrome opens minimized and can't be restored or maximized.

I counseled them on phone tech support scams, sent them some Jim Browning videos, and convinced them to get their hundred bucks back. Grandpa knew enough to change all of his passwords.

Gramps is talking about buying a new computer but this isn't going to help when they eagerly open every strange email attachment they ever receive.

I live 8 hours away, so I can't just visit every week and reformat their poo poo.

Is there any browser or windows mode or anything I can use to steer my beloved olds away from their habitual dipshittery? Stuff with strict security but that is easy and non-frustrating to use?

Attempted fixes: Grandpa runs Malwarebytes and McAfee but obviously this poo poo doesnt help a complicit user.

Recent changes: N/A

--

Operating system: Win10

System specs: Idk, some off-the-shelf computer from about five years ago.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'm not an expert but I'd say install Linux Mint. Since all that stuff targets Windows computers mostly. Unless they need certain Windows programs that aren't available on linux. But if they're just using it for browsing the internet, it should be not much different from Windows for them. And it's free.

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

I'm not an expert but I'd say install Linux Mint. Since all that stuff targets Windows computers mostly. Unless they need certain Windows programs that aren't available on linux. But if they're just using it for browsing the internet, it should be not much different from Windows for them. And it's free.

Yup. I agree with this. Install Linux and do not give them the root user password or sudo access. They won't be able to install anything that affects the system as a whole. You can also remove the default browser and install an enterprise version that is locked down and can not have extensions outside of what you stipulate installed. If all they use is a browser, they won't really care what operating system the browser runs in and most scammers are not tech savvy enough to even bother with Linux.

You can also update the `/etc/hosts` file to include known scammer domains and run pihole on the network to reduce the potential of scam pop ups appearing.
Blocking the ip ranges of countries where scammers are most likely trying to remote-desktop from is also a good option. iptables in Linux will let you set those rules up and windows firewall should also allow you to do this.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether the computer was compromised or not. If the person on the other end convinces your grandparents that they've completed a service that requires payment (regardless of whether they did anything or not) then they've achieved their goal irregardless. If your grandparents have also paid money then scammers have their phone numbers on record and will be sure to call back in an attempt to solicit more money (and/or sell your grandparents's contact data to other scammers looking for potential victims). You should have them change their phone number.

evilmaniac fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 2, 2020

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
I think Linux mint would be too big a leap for my grandparents, but I will keep this in mind. My grandma is EXTREMELY curmudgeonly and once got superlatively pissed off when I updated her Scrabble PC game from like 2003 to a version that doesn't require the install CD to be in the tray when playing. Very minor UI differences sent her flying off the goddamn handle. It's very frustrating.

I imagine grandpa trying to Google something about opening an excel doc on linux and getting confused by programs for different distros. I also think he'd gently caress around with the package manager and wreck poo poo, and I don't really want to have to personally be the admin for his computer. It might get to that point, but...

You did get me thinking about maybe a Chromebook/Chromebox. I feel like it'd be easier for grandpa to troubleshoot/research minor issues than a straight-up Linux machine, while providing a relatively polished and non-intimidating interface. Any thoughts?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Also I've forwarded the phone number advice. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I doubt they'll take my advice, but we will see.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Well he just told me he ordered a Dell :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmaniac
Jul 10, 2010

quote:

My grandma is EXTREMELY curmudgeonly and once got superlatively pissed off when I updated her Scrabble PC game from like 2003 to a version that doesn't require the install CD to be in the tray when playing. Very minor UI differences sent her flying off the goddamn handle. It's very frustrating.
There is, unfortunately, no software in the world that will protect someone if they don't want to take any steps towards protecting themselves (or make some compromise). Not even corporations that invest millions into security achieve it without employee training against social engineering. Obviously you can mitigate the risk by blocking ports used by remote desktop software (and/or using a hardware firewall with deep packet inspection that blocks that sort of traffic irregardless of what port its going through). Software wise, I would say take a look at Kaspersky Internet Security. I know it monitors web traffic and installs a browser plug in to warn about and block suspicious websites but I can't say it'll stop everything (just make sure to disable the on-screen keyboard it uses).

quote:

You did get me thinking about maybe a Chromebook/Chromebox
Regarding Chrome OS. I've never really used it so I can't vouch for it but I'm sure someone here has.