Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I think it would be helpful to the conversation to differentiate between "sex positive" sex workers, and sex workers who are in such an abject situation that they are resorting to the the most mask-off self-commodification possible in order to survive. Privileging the discourse of the former over the latter is like using hippie organic farming communes to valorize the exploitation of migrant farm labor.

Anyway I'm dumb as poo poo on this topic so I look forward to learning & following along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

smarxist posted:

the only differentiation to me that exists is what i said above about imminent physical violence or being bodily restrained and enslaved.

everyone has to do work they don't want to do to avoid abject conditions, like homelessness, prison, etc.

if we're starting from the premise that sex work is work, then we can't create a divide between the walmart cashier and the prostitute who works corners or backpages in dangerous situations. the latter's job is only more dangerous typically because of the criminality/morality bullshit society thrusts upon their activities.

i don't see any difference between a sex worker who works for themselves and isn't trafficked/enslaved and a freelance massage therapist, nor should anyone else imo :shrug:

My bad, I guess I'm starting from the premise of "sex work is work" and looking forward to the political demands that might flow from a bougie, media-savvy class of sex worker versus a class who is working as stereotypical street prostitutes, within the context of our actually-existing system.

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that, once the basic hurdle of the legitimacy of sex work is surmounted, then the former and latter may still have very different ideas about what protections or regulations are needed, and what the legitimate concerns are. We see this in every other industry.