Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Charles Laughton
Night of The Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Fulci
Zombie
City of the Living Dead
The Beyond
New York Ripper
A Lizard in Woman's Skin
Don't Torture a Duckling

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Michele Soavi
The Church
Cemetary Man
Stagefright
The Sect

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wow just gunna act like I didn't already post Soavi?? I see how it is Neo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm still working my way through the HG Lewis boxset. Been a delight for the most part.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to see Kaneto Shindo(Onibaba, Kuroneko) swapped in for one of the others like maybe Laughton. Night of the Hunter is really good but one film is still just one film. Or maybe Antonia Bird because it's really just Ravenous, I haven't seen Face but it looks like a crime drama?

Look at this wrong opinion.

Laughton's one film is better than many of the directors' 6 films.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Boooooo

I say Boooooooooooooo

Removing Laughton's Night of the Hunter and Bird's Ravenous is a crime!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

we left off an underrated heavyweight or two.

Like Charles Laughton

He directed a movie so good critics and peers shamed him into not making anymore movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm clearly on ignore around here, smh. :cry:

I nominated Fulci.

2 of my nominations were overlooked and my third was thrown out! This anti MZ thread has me steaming mad!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

You are right, I deleted the main 60 poll because it's not complete/finessed
Again, you're right, but Polanski is a loving pederast so gently caress him. Victor Bava doesn't get on here either. :colbert:
OK I am sorry and I'm adding Fulci. I'll extend the list past 60 and we can start throwing out 4-film directors when we're ready to move on.

For the record I'm joking about being upset.

Well about my noms being overlooked at least.

;)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm picking Argento

Thanks for roping me in as a special guest, not necessary but appreciated!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Koji got hosed getting matched up against Corman, then doubly so for it being Shirome v Masque.

E:

So did Soavi, he was only gunna beat Raimi if it was The Church vs the Gift (and maybe drag me to hell)

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 12, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like James's storyline, he basically leaves one show and enters a completely different one. It's very bizarre. I get the hate tho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's a drat shame Don Davis didn't live long enough to be in The Return. Briggs was such a fantastic character.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Still bummed about Soavi's and Koji's draws but at least they're going out to some top tier competition.

You know who wouldn't have been knocked out this round to those draws? That's right my boy Charles---- *a hook drags me by the neck off stage*

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Birds is for suckers

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Solid post!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The Fury is so good that I immediately bought it from Arrow, since it's included in their current sale.

Lol I almost did the same, need to wait until next sale tho I suppose.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Kuroneko loving owns. I’ll rewatch both, but I’m already leaning towards Kuroneko, which is my favorite Japanese ghost movie.

Lighthouse vs Blob is gonna be tough

This whole round is tough

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
When Dracula ended I went, "Wait thats all?"

When Us ended I went, "that was wild"

I enjoyed both.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Happy to help!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love mad scientist David. I also enjoyed Tennessee and Daniels. It also has James Franco's best role.

E:

BisonDollah posted:

but we lost Soavi in the first round
:cry:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

:agreed:

This video encapsulates everything I feel about why Covenant is great while Prometheus remains a turd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIftf6S3hvI

I like pat Willems but his complaints of prometheus are the same ones I roll my eyes at on these forums.

Both are cool n good

I like how enthusiastic he is for Covenant tho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really enjoyed Cure but not enough to knock off Yuzna and Combs.

I don't really see how the two plots of Covenant make it a lesser story like yall did.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 4, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol the scene in home sick of them playing with guns.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Also if Home Sick wins, I'm tweeting Adam Wingard that he beat Ridley Scott in a directors tournament with his student film.

Lol that'd be awesome

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dunno about Bible thumper

quote:

In 2013, Ridley stated that he is an atheist. Although when asked by the BBC in a September 2014 interview if he believes in God, Scott replied:

I'm not sure. I think there's all kinds of questions raised... that's such an exotic question. If we looked at the whole thing practically speaking, the big bang occurred and then we go through this evolution of millions, billions of years where, by coincidence, all the right biological accidents came out the right way. To an extent, that doesn't make sense unless there was a controlling decider or mediator in all of that. So who was that? Or what was that? Are we one big grand experiment in the basic overall blink of the universe, or the galaxy? In which case, who is behind it? Maybe we're an experiment which can last a billion years, but which is a blink in their terms and they can then say: 'Right, that didn't work, let's blow them up!'
Quote stolen from wiki

I'd argue he got meaner towards ideas of God (Prometheus), though he still has hope for mankind and what we can achieve (The Martian).

E: removed something too presumptuous.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 4, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think you can look at Prometheus/Covenant and see a guy lashing out at the universe for not providing the answers. And I wouldn't want to assume his brother's death was a factor in that but I wouldn't discount it either.

Thats fair. Gunna edit out that small bit of my post.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat, breaking my heart buddy. He's one of my favorites.

We still cool tho.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think Hannibal is one of his worst tbh. The scene where Hannibal kills Pazzi is badass though.

Fwiw, I don't think he's a perfect director by any means. I haven't seen The Counselor or For All the Money in the World as they looked bad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Do I think Adam Wingard is a better director than Ridley Scott? Not even close.

Do I think Adam Wingard is more deserving of competing in a tournament of horror film directors than Ridley Scott? Yeah.

Like, I find Scott's late period stuff to actually be really interesting. Even Covenant has interesting ideas it's exploring, though I still think he did it way better the first time around in Prometheus. But part of me, whether we're supposed to or not, is thinking about down the line and who I'd like to see more of in this tournament and I don't feel a great need to push Scott forward, especially on a film that is just middle of the road for me. I will take sloppy, cheap but ambitious and memorable over technically sufficient but lackluster every single day. None of that comes at it from an angle of "so bad it's good."

I enjoyed Home Sick as well, and not in the so bad its good way. Its neat seeing a young filmmaker just loving go for it since they have nothing to lose. That said, I think his attempt ended up as something that was alright for a one time watch whereas I've seen covenant a few times already.

If this was say, Murder Party, I'd probably vote for it over Covenant.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Good LORD, this person is our mod?

He was sent from Book Barn to infiltrate CineD and "fix" our sub.

IM ON TO YOU #SOMETHINGQ #CINEDRECKONING

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Carpenter Line-Up (Not necessarily in order)

Prince of Darkness
Christine
The Thing
Halloween
The Fog
In the Mouth of Madness

Lmao this lineup. Good luck all other competitors.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'll check them out! Just be forewarned, I've been told that I'm a bad trans because I don't like catgirls, or head pats, so these will be the opinions of someone who has been formally excommunicated.

Thats pretty lovely :/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Just a joke :3: but for real, I'm pretty out of touch with the culture of the kids coming up, but I can offer my ancient millennial guidance

Glad to hear that!

I mean... lovely of you to not like catgirls!

The Berzerker posted:

I haven't made a lot of effortposts or anything in this thread but I am really, really enjoying this tournament and some of the movies that I am discovering through it so shout out to Shrecknet for running it and shoutout to all of the posters writing really thoughtful rationales on why they're voting one way or another every round

Yeah its been great to see some stuff I've heard of but never got to viewing until now.

Hope we can come up with another bracket tourney.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Honestly though, shouldn't presume Tobe Hooper is a shoe-in against Brian Yuzna. I could easily see Salem's Lot or Eaten Alive going down to RotLD 3 or Society. It's really going to come down to the draws here.

I'm pretty excited for this match up

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Horror Director Tourney vol 2, winner is excluded. :getin:

Previous combatants can not reuse films

Or a bracket consisting of knock outs from the 1st round

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I thought about not re-using films, but that's gonna suck for directors like Peele, or strong contenders like Lynch who will make it pretty late into the game.

Which is a benefit in the next bracket imo. Bit smaller since some options won't be able to be nominated, and make some matchups more competitive.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I would not include the Duos in a new bracket but that's just me.

A solely duos or single horror film director bracket could be fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Come on yall. Vote for Dont torture a duckling.