Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, newbie :)

I have a lot of old computers that while not gaming mega machines are still fine for internet use, open office, etc and I'd like to set up a website so anyone in the local area that would like a computer can get one for free.

People can also donate / get rid of their old tech and it can find a new home (after being wiped).

I guess I may run in to problems with data protection if I don't scramble the drives properly, so I'd like advice on that first of all, but also I'm thinking about how to make sure the machine is corona free.

Is this a bad idea?

All feedback welcomed :)

skyelevator fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

skyelevator posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, newbie :)

I have a lot of old computers that while not gaming mega machines are still fine for internet use, open office, etc and I'd like to set up a website so anyone in the local area that would like a computer can get one for free.

People can also donate / get rid of their old tech and it can find a new home (after being wiped).

I guess I may run in to problems with data protection if I don't scramble the drives properly, so I'd like advice on that first of all, but also I'm thinking about how to make sure the machine is corona free.

Is this a bad idea?

All feedback welcomed :)
How will you handle support? Your target audience will be the type of person who's fine with running free, old machines for everyday usage.That audience will include the type who will need your help every time they've Deleted The Internet.
And, to be fair to them: "Machines built from old, donated parts" does sound like they will experience unique, additional issues.

This sounds like some nice neighbourhoody project, though. :)

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 10, 2020

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Free hardware isn't what people want, they want is for you to help them get AOL back on the WIndows and how can I get the AOL on my Zune too and how do I put the AOL on this phone?

The worst is when the internet deletes the AOL and then deletes the internet. Unrecoverable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't want to deal with the Windows installs and licensing after wiping everything. And I'm not an rear end in a top hat so I wouldn't put linux on something.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't want to deal with the Windows installs and licensing after wiping everything.
Maybe that's the trick? Just giving away the plain metal as a screening device so that you'll deal with people who are either tech-savy enough to install Windows 10 themselves or who have somebody available who does that for them?

Did you intend to include some kind of technical assistance with that website?

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 11, 2020

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

It's such a good idea you might want to check if it doesn't already exist in your area OP.
Atleast in my country roni showed lots of people can't or shouldn't buy computers.

We used dban https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darik%27s_Boot_and_Nuke for data removal at my school.
And fog https://fogproject.org/ for imaging.
Reach out to companies and universities in your area, they might let you have old stuff in exchange for their name on your site.
And don't provide support :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There's an organization called FreeGeek that does this. People can volunteer to break down electronics for recycling and build working PCs from the useful parts in exchange for a computer of their own after some number of volunteer hours. They also sell the rebuilt machines and reclaimed parts if you have money to spend.

The one I visited in Chicago loaded the machines with Ubuntu to sidestep the Windows license issue and offered skills training to teach people about PCs as well as how to use them. The pitch is that volunteers learn marketable skills and end up being tech support for their families and communities.

It seems like a good program at face value, but I saw a lot of poor people doing unpaid labor when I went there so I'm a bit conflicted about it.