Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

just some sneak peek pics for now the seller just dropped it off here.
It was being used for some black lives matter protests recently so there's some names written on the side I need to clean off before any beauty shots.

It's a 1991 Cadillac Brougham Miller-Meteor
hearse.
It's in decent mechanical shape just needs a good sprucing up on the inside and outside.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress those are big pictures.

And that's a big car. For hauling dead folks. Pretty neat.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fixed pics phone posting on the app.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The good:
Perfectly working digital dash
Power seats, mirrors, windows
Cold A/C
All the coffin rollers and wood floor in the back are still intact
V8 runs smooth
Air ride suspension is in good working order
New battery
Good tires

The bad:
The muffler on it is too restrictive or the timing is off it has a hard time getting up to highway speeds
The paint is pretty faded but looks like it'll buff out some spots it needs a little rust repair
All metal trim needs buffed/polished
Fabric seats/carpet need a good cleaning
It's got some sort of parasitic drain that will kill the battery if it's parked for too long suspect it's due to the aftermarket head unit installed
The vinyl top has a leak but I have a carport it can live under for now until I figure out what to do about it
Back doors have no handles on the inside(why would they?)

I've got parts coming in the mail for a full tune up plus a Cadillac factory service manual

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 11, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress in on the ground floor!

305 or 350? I owned a 90 model 305 powered brougham superior hearse. Man it was slow. It was a great highway sled though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's a 305
Only 63,000 miles on it
I figure down the road sometime it would be fun to swap some kind of LS engine into it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'd say post a burnout, but I doubt that 305 has the rear end for it. I know they were the base engine, but I figured Miller would option the 350 for hearse duty.

Either way, hearses are neat as frig and this thread should be pretty cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Neat! I hope you can figure out the crappy acceleration.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Checking timing is the first thing on my list for that.

The girl I bought it from had owned it for a long time and had a lot of work done to it over the years. She had a really quiet muffler put on it her mechanic told her that it could be build up from too restrictive a muffler. I have to get under it and measure the exhaust pipe and order a Flowmaster or something like that.

This is babbys first V8

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah start with timing. TBI is super sensitive to it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:krad: digital dash

Long car is long

Waxed half the car then it started raining

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Spent the day vacuuming dead leaves out of the engine compartment and cleaning up the interior.
The PO had something done with the gas tank and I guess it was too hard for the shop to remove the floor to do it so they just hacked a hole in it.

I'll make a cover for it for now and down the road put some better wood in the back and make some new side panels.

Spare tire in a hearse is stored under your dead rear end in what would normally be the back passengers floor boards.
I haven't found a jack yet so I may have to buy a new one to keep at home and stick my old floor jack in there next to the spare.

We took it out to another protest yesterday with a giant roll of paper and markers and let some kids make signs.
Ran in to a Karen who thought it was in bad taste but the kids and the organizers and the people along the "parade" route loved it.

Car ran well less bogging down than the first time we took it out but still seems down on power. Waiting for a factory service manual to get here in the mail to tackle setting the timing.

Only other issue is the while driving it home the ABS light came on and stayed on. When I checked today it was off. Could be a relay or wheel sensor?
I need to go through the fuse and relay box and spray it down with deoxit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What's your plan for it, just own and drive a hearse or not-really stealth camper?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The PO was using it as a kinda stealth camper they had a mattress pad in the back it's still got the curtains and all.
We're just going to use it like a station wagon/ pick up truck/cruiser.

We have to drive to Arkansas occasionally so if we use this for that we'd probably sleep in the back and be more comfortable than the last time we did that drive(18 hours) with 2 cats in my GTI.

My partner is an archeologist starting work on helping to save a historic black cemetery from having a self storage place built on top of it. She'll be using it as a way to transport tools back and forth to the site for that as well.

We also want to take it down town and slowly circle the white house:trumppop:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Those are great reasons to own a hearse.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah it just happened to be the right deal at the right time. We were talking about getting a cheap truck or van for the same reasons but this popped up on Craigslist I sent it to her saying "wanna buy a hearse?" She was like hell yes!

Got some tune up parts in the mail along with the factory service manual I got off eBay and found my timing light. The timing light I got in a box of tools I haven't had to use it in forever.

I just noticed when I got it out it's so old it's not an induction type timing light it's got the little spring your supposed to slip over the spark plug and hook the spark plug wire up to it.
Not sure if it'll be effective with an HEI system if I need to pick up an inductive light I will.

Other parts came in too.

:whatup:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ute conversion imo

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You want a "flower car" for that

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Should have known it would be a thing

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

:bisonyes:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

This is great! I look forward to seeing what you do with it! :)

cakesmith handyman posted:

Those are great reasons to own a hearse.

I don't think that any additional reasons are required to own a hearse other than it being a hearse :)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Spent yesterday rubbing it down with a clay bar and waxing it.
Still some spots that need a little more polishing and I need to degrease the engine before I do any serious work on it its pretty grungy

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Now here's a car that would suit being dropped right to the ground :allears:

Hearses are so cool (despite the whole dead people thing)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It won't happen anytime soon but putting it on airbags is gonna happen someday.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It makes a more stable foundation for sleeping when dropped to the ground at night, it's practical (do it!)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thumposaurus posted:

It won't happen anytime soon but putting it on airbags is gonna happen someday.

I was hoping you'd say this!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Adjusted the static timing it'll actually rev now without bogging down. Still have to go do a road test with the new setting.

I had to modify a wrench to reach the distributor bolt

Dirty engine

Old rear end timing light

It worked just fine

Cadillac service manuals are classy :monocle:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Flip that air cleaner lid to suck hot air from the engine bay for +10 HP.

Cool project.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Magnificent.

Now go drive around public beaches/outdoor bars/etc real slow, blasting the dancing pallbearer song.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I gotta fix the wiring to the stereo first for that.
It's a pretty nice pioneer android based headunit it just doesn't turn on or will turn on randomly by itself. I pulled it out the other day to just check how it was wired in and of course it's just a bundle of lovely splices into the factory wiring.
I need to cut all of them out and re-wire it properly.

I figured out how to pull ABS codes. There's a primitive OBD1 connector under the dash that you jam a paper clip between 2 terminals to get it to blink the ABS light to tell you what's wrong.
Seems the right front wheel sensor is bad it's on the way from Rockauto now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Got the new ABS sensor in the mail today.
I thought it would be an easy unbolt old one bolt in new one type of deal. The bolt came out fine but the sensor was stuck in the hole I hosed it down with pb blaster and got it to move a bit then the body of the sensor snapped off of the part that goes in the hole.

I tried going in from the front the wheel was stuck hard to the brake disc. More pb blaster and application of the hot wrench plus banging on it with a BFH finally got it loose. I'm going to have to go around to the other 3 corners and make sure they aren't stuck too.

Then I figured out I don't have the right Allen head socket to get the caliper bolts off with. My tool set is mostly metric I only have really wrenched on old VWs and Audis prior to this.
I gotta get some proper American tools.

I ended up having to drill a hole in the center of the sensor and the plastic body of it out of the hole and burnt the rest out with a torch.

Once I did that it was simple to bolt the new one in and re-route the wires coated back of wheel and nuts with anti-sieze and torqued 'em back down.

Rust, rust never changes

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I just want to say that I am super jealous of your acquisition.

Also as an automotive technician I applaud and salute your willingness to care for this beast and I hope you keep her going for everyone to appreciate!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks it sure gets a lot of looks when we take it out driving around.

Took it over to a friend's house with some plants in the back to drop in her garden. First drive since I adjusted the timing. I think that was the problem the whole time. It was able to accelerate with no stumbling or hesitating.

Brakes still have a loud squeak when stopping but the pads and disc on that one side looked good when I had the wheel off. Pads for this are dirt cheap I may just throw a new set on just because.

ABS light still on I didn't do the trick to clear out the old code so it might be the same one.
I'll clear it out tomorrow and see what happens.

I've only got it on 30 day tags right now and I have to take it to get inspected for the MD state inspection before I can get it on permanent tags.
The ABS is the only thing I see that it might fail for so gotta get that cleared up before Iv take it in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes a block away if you're paranoid, but I turned this up...

You're probably good to go. I'd print a copy of that and take it with you just to be safe. I'd assume counties that require emissions would fail for a check engine light on OBD2, but non-OBD2 is probably fine with a CEL. It's not difficult to yank the bulbs, and they can't do a PCM/ECU scan on something that's not OBD2.

Not that I advocate pulling bulbs instead of fixing issues properly. But ABS systems of that era were hot garbage.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 21, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Chilling at a protest the other day outside a construction site where they're trying to build a self storage building over the site of a historic African American cemetery.

Be back out there tomorrow again.

I've got more pictures but I'm phone posting right now and they're on the computer.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Swapped out mufflers today. Old one was some rusted garbage muffler booger welded to the pipe.
Cut it off with the trusty harbor frieght sawzall and popped a flowmaster in it's place.
Rock Auto had the rear section of pipe for $11 so it's coming in the mail. I just put a turned down section of pipe clamped to the muffler right in front of the rear axle for now until that comes in.
The old rear section that goes up and over the rear axle was pretty crusty looking.

Sounds better than it did I'm pretty sure there was a significant exhaust leak around the welded area judging by the black sooty streaks down the pipe.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I sorta want to see it lifted a few inches with mud tires and a bull skull on the hood.

Then again that's what I want to do to all cars.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Kinda like this

I want to go the opposite direction and drop it on airbags.

It already scrapes my driveway getting it up the incline so for now it's low enough.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Thumposaurus posted:

My partner is an archeologist starting work on helping to save a historic black cemetery from having a self storage place built on top of it. She'll be using it as a way to transport tools back and forth to the site for that as well.
Hope she's cool with all the new goth girlfriends you attract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Hope she's cool with all the new goth girlfriends you attract.

Quoth the Raven, "drive me to the store?"