Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
A few months ago, I accidentally installed a generic USB gamepad device driver over my Windows 10 laptop's built-in webcam. This was because I was careless with a third-party software utility. After some panic, I was able to roll back the change and restore functionality, and the correct driver still exists on my computer.

However, the other day the webcam mysteriously stopped functioning once again, and it seems it "auto-updated" to the incorrect driver again. Once more I was able to re-install (from "drivers on disc" rather than rollback) the correct driver, but I fear this could happen again. I especially fear losing the correct driver to Windows cleanup or some other event.

So I have two questions:

1) how can I locate and back up the correct webcam driver?

2) how can I locate and eradicate the USB gamepad driver so it stops being prioritized?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

So I have two questions:

1) how can I locate and back up the correct webcam driver?

2) how can I locate and eradicate the USB gamepad driver so it stops being prioritized?

Thanks!

Check if that generic device driver has any uninstall program. Also, make sure no program remains installed by going into the control panel/apps features.

Check if any remnant of it remains in the device manager. If it does then delete it from there.