Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have 2 SSDs on my PC. The first one is a 128 GB Crucial with the operating system on it, and the second is a 250 GB SSD with a bunch of data.

I had a power outage yesterday. When power got restored, I turned on the PC, and got an error saying it couldn't find any boot drives. At first I thought the OS drive somehow died, so I bought a SATA-to-USB cable and connected the SSD to my laptop to see if I could recover any files from it, and to my surprise it was recognized without any issues.

Then I took the SSD and plugged it back to my desktop, and unplugged the data SSD (just to remove as many variables as possible), and the computer booted up fine.

However, when I re-connected the second SSD, Windows got stuck in the spinner screen and never got passed it.

I fiddled with the cabling, and noticed that if I use separate SATA power cables for the SSDs, with nothing else sharing those power cables, the computer boots up fine, and I can see both drives in Windows and everything. However, the moment I put the SSDs on the same power cable, Windows fails to get past the spinner.

This was not happening before the power outage. Is it possible the power supply got damaged damaged? I bought a third SSD during all this, and want to use it, but the PSU only has two SATA power cables...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Is it possible the power supply got damaged damaged?

Yeah, or the cable itself. Have you tried another power cable?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zogo posted:

Yeah, or the cable itself. Have you tried another power cable?

Well, these two SATA power cables are coming out of the PSU itself. I don't think they're replaceable... are they?

The issue happens on both cables, but everything works fine if I connect each cable to just one SSD and nothing else.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Well, these two SATA power cables are coming out of the PSU itself. I don't think they're replaceable... are they?

I didn't know what kind of PSU you had. Not normally.

enraged_camel posted:

The issue happens on both cables, but everything works fine if I connect each cable to just one SSD and nothing else.

It'd be good to know your system specs and how old the PSU is etc.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015YEI9NQ/

It's about 4 years old now.

And you're right, the power cables seem to have come separately. Maybe I remembered wrong. Need to look more carefully.

I'll order a couple of replacement cables and see if those help. Thanks!